Author Topic: Schenker, Way, Rarebell, Voss..in new band!  (Read 2865 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Schenker, Way, Rarebell, Voss..in new band!
« on: December 13, 2010, 04:51:42 PM »
https://www.bravewords.com/news/152221

Ok..not the greatest song, but it does have some tastey Schenker licks.
The best part of this news is that Pete Way is alive and well, as he had to bow out of UFO a few years ago while fighting liver disease.
I will eagerly await the finished product.

@ tick..I think you can finally count Herman Rarebell out of the running for MP's spot. :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Schenker, Way, Rarebell, Voss..in new band!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 06:40:19 PM »
You know, just based on nationality I should be well-disposed towards them .... but that was just plain bad, sorry.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 06:41:05 PM »
Please don't take this the wrong way, but: who, who, who, and who?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 06:42:33 PM »
Well, Schenker is pretty famous, he's the guitarist of the Scorpions. The other ones, no idea.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 10:36:26 PM »

:facepalm:

Will listen to this when I'm not at work, but good to see Way back in the ring.  It seemed like he was in real trouble there for a while.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 11:07:20 PM »
I love how the facepalm has still left me asking who the other three guys are.

Anyway, the song was pretty terrible, so I don't really care.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 01:10:46 AM »
Well, Schenker is pretty famous, he's the guitarist of the Scorpions. The other ones, no idea.

rumborak

Kinda, sorta...Actually, his older brother(Rudolf) has been in the scorpions since their beggining. Michael has played on an album or two over the years.

I am a huge Michael Shenker fan so, I'll probably pick up the album but, if the rest of it is that bad it won't get more than one spin before it's put away. His playing wasn't bad but, the song is full of weak. I think it's the vocals that really ruin it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 03:27:40 AM »
Holy shit.  I can't believe how crap that was.  Hopefully this song isn't a clear representation of the rest of their work.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 05:45:36 AM »
 :lol
Yeah, that was pretty bad. Something about 50 year old guys mugging into the camera like that. The song isn't great, but the video is brutal.

But I am ALL IN on any project with Pete Way & Michael Schenker.

Perp,

Michael Schenker and Pete Way both played in UFO. Schenker was only there for their first 5 major albums (74-79). Way was their longtime bassist. UFO, along with Iron Maiden, was my favorite band growing up.
Herman Rarebell was the longtime drummer for Scorpions.
I have no idea who Michael Voss is. I thought he sounded fine, but I just hope the caliber of songs is a little better.

The thing is, while Pete Way is all sorts of cool, if he's calling the shots, it will be more of a party type feel. This may be something that Schenker is "along for the ride". If Schenker is inspired, and that's always a big IF, this will be much better. Honestly, I've never thought very highly of Rarebell's drumming.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 05:55:49 AM »
I like UFO well enough. I have their greatest hits, but that's it. Never got into them enough to check out who they actually were though. Maiden play their songs before shows pretty often, right?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 06:05:39 AM »
Yes, Maiden has been playing Doctor Doctor (off of 1974's Phenomenon album). It's an OK song.

But you must get Strangers In The Night, their 1978 live album. It's incredible. Schenker smokes all over it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 08:14:03 AM »
It's ok.  Mabye the other songs will be better.  A lot of older guys are getting together to form bands of late.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 08:54:48 AM »
I will check this out in a bit!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 11:04:39 AM »
Reminds me of Mcaulley Shenker with a touch of Kix, and touch of Kiss's Domino....

pretty dang Cheezy...but sorta fun
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 11:29:45 AM »
Michael Voss I think was the singer in a European rock band called Mad Max. They weren't great but they did do a great cover of The Sweet's Fox On The Run that I had on pic disc in the 80s.

But if you're not familiar with schenker era UFO I recommend everyone to check them out even if you only listen to Strangers In The Night.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 07:02:08 PM »
listened without watching the video...could have told you right off the bat , that it was Schenker on Guitar his tone is a dead give away
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 02:30:28 AM »
:lol
Yeah, that was pretty bad. Something about 50 year old guys mugging into the camera like that. The song isn't great, but the video is brutal.

But I am ALL IN on any project with Pete Way & Michael Schenker.

Perp,

Michael Schenker and Pete Way both played in UFO. Schenker was only there for their first 5 major albums (74-79). Way was their longtime bassist. UFO, along with Iron Maiden, was my favorite band growing up.
Herman Rarebell was the longtime drummer for Scorpions.
I have no idea who Michael Voss is. I thought he sounded fine, but I just hope the caliber of songs is a little better.

The thing is, while Pete Way is all sorts of cool, if he's calling the shots, it will be more of a party type feel. This may be something that Schenker is "along for the ride". If Schenker is inspired, and that's always a big IF, this will be much better. Honestly, I've never thought very highly of Rarebell's drumming.

Don't forget the 3 albums after the reunion in the mid 90's. Walking on Water, Covenant and Sharks. WoW had some really great moments on it but, the other two decreased in quality from there.

For those of you that might not be familiar with Michael, he's often times considered an extremely important and influential guitarist to other musicians but, he's never had much commercial success. As wkiml mentioned in the last post, his tone and playing style is very unique. Once you know what the man sounds like you'll always be able to pick him out of the crowd so to speak.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 02:51:44 AM »
I find it very surprising that some people have not heard of Schenker.  He is always on most influential guitar player lists, he is recognized as one of the best.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 04:58:14 AM »
ARE YOU READY TO ROCK ITS A SATUtab closed.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 06:53:25 AM »
I find it very surprising that some people have not heard of Schenker.  He is always on most influential guitar player lists, he is recognized as one of the best.

You can tell that the guys on Mercyful Fate listened to tons of Michael Schenker. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 08:23:34 AM »

You can tell that the guys on Mercyful Fate listened to tons of Michael Schenker. 

Same with Andy Laroque.  :tup

Don't forget the 3 albums after the reunion in the mid 90's. Walking on Water, Covenant and Sharks. WoW had some really great moments on it but, the other two decreased in quality from there.

I love Covenant. It's awesome, but Walk On Water is one of my Top 3 UFO studio albums. Dreaming Of Summer is brilliant!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 11:18:59 AM »
TAC, I absolutely agree about Dreaming of Summer. That song is top-notch UFO. I still listen to Covenant from time to time and enjoy the album very much but, I've never been able to get into Sharks. The extra live set on Covenant is always a fun listen.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »
TAC, I absolutely agree about Dreaming of Summer. That song is top-notch UFO. I still listen to Covenant from time to time and enjoy the album very much but, I've never been able to get into Sharks. The extra live set on Covenant is always a fun listen.

Dreaming Of Summer is Phil Mogg's storytelling at it's absolute best. A UFO Top 5 song for me.

I'm with you on Sharks. It's actually aging pretty well though, but I still say it's a huge step down from Covenant.
I thought Ainsley Dunbar's drumming on those albums is outstanding.

Have you tried the 2 Mogg/Way albums? Basically they couldn't use the UFO name because they had to give Schenker partial ownership to get him back in the fold in the first place, but there's tons of great songs on them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 01:19:16 PM »

Yeah, especially Michael Denner.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 02:48:17 AM »

Dreaming Of Summer is Phil Mogg's storytelling at it's absolute best. A UFO Top 5 song for me.

I'm with you on Sharks. It's actually aging pretty well though, but I still say it's a huge step down from Covenant.
I thought Ainsley Dunbar's drumming on those albums is outstanding.

Have you tried the 2 Mogg/Way albums? Basically they couldn't use the UFO name because they had to give Schenker partial ownership to get him back in the fold in the first place, but there's tons of great songs on them.

No, I havn't heard anything from them. Can you suggest some song titles for me? I'll try to find some youtube stuff and check them out and go from there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 05:05:52 PM »
Powerslave;

Edge Of World (1997)
Phil Mogg
Pete Way
Ainsley Dunbar
George Bellas (guitar)

Youtube:
Gravy Train
Highwire
History Of Flames
Fortune Town

Chocolate Box  (1999)
Phil Mogg
Pete Way
Paul Raymond
Simon Wright
Jeff Kollman

Youtube:
Jerusulam
Too Close To The Sun
This Is A Life
Last Man In Space

Enjoy!!