Author Topic: New JP Interview  (Read 11823 times)

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
New JP Interview
« on: December 13, 2010, 06:22:14 AM »
Thought this might be of interest:

https://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/dream-theater-have-a-new-drummer-but-theyre-not-saying-who-it-is/

Words: Dave Ling

The news was revealed on December 9, when the band’s guitarist John Petrucci talked to Classic Rock about the band’s appearance at next summer’s High Voltage Festival. Given that three months to the day had elapsed since Portnoy broke the shock news of his exit, we began by pointing out how quickly the band have moved in getting back onto an even keel.

“I know, I know,” laughed Petrucci. “Dream Theater is like a train that can’t be stopped. The auditions went incredibly well, and we do have a guy and we’re really excited about our choice. But we’re not ready to make any announcement just yet. Before going public we want to make sure everything’s done right. We’re getting everything in line (behind the scenes). Everything has to be done 100 percent right. There’s no room for mistakes in any of this.

“All that I will say is everybody is very, very psyched about the band’s future,” he continues. “Mike’s decision to leave the band was such a shock; when somebody you’ve been with for 25 years is suddenly no longer around, it’s very bizarre and weird. The whole process of auditioning (replacements), making plans for the future and committing to play in Europe next summer at places like High Voltage has been very cathartic for us.”

Are you prepared to tell us whether the guy that got the job is one of the names that have been mooted?

“I’d rather not get into any of that, to be honest.”

Whoever he is, everybody knows he will have his work cut out to follow a drummer like Mike Portnoy. In some ways, the newcomer is accepting a bit of a poisoned chalice?

(Laughing): “Oh yeah, absolutely. It’s like: ‘You’re sure you want this gig?’. That’s very funny.”

The speed with which the High Voltage appearance was announced took everybody by surprise. You obviously disagreed – in the strongest possible terms – with Portnoy’s assertion that the band needed to take time off and recharge its batteries?

“Yeah. I started this band with Mike and John (Myung, bass) more than 25 years ago, and as a career it has steadily built and gained momentum. We have incredibly, passionate diehard fans around the world; we had no intentions disassembling our empire, or even slowing it down. If anything, especially coming off a US tour with Iron Maiden, we felt completely the opposite. The last record (2009’s Black Clouds And Silver Linings) was the highest charting record of our career, so it made no sense whatever to slow things down. If anything, we had to do the opposite: More, bigger, better.”

Intriguingly, Classic Rock’s sister title Metal Hammer ran a poll that asked its online readers whether DT should continue without MP. The result was an almost an even split – 52 per cent saying no, 48 saying yes…

“Wow, that’s interesting… I didn’t know that,” says Petrucci, sounding thoughtful.

Does it say something of the size of the task that awaits you?

“You know what?” he responds. “I’m a fan of bands myself. I understand that when people get used to seeing a band a certain way, they don’t want to start imaging it in another form. That makes complete sense to me. But at the same time, what people forget is that Dream Theater is a band – a collection of five people. It always has been. With those five people, the sum is greater than the individual parts. That’s very important for everybody to understand. Dream Theater is not about one person. It’s about the music we make collectively, and the relationship we have with our fans, also our artistic goals and visions. It’s hard for me, too, to picture it going on in a different way (without Portnoy), but it’s harder still to imagine the whole thing coming to a halt.”

Is the plan to get an album out in time for the European visit in the summer? Or simply come over and play?

“We start a new record in January but I don’t think it’ll be ready in time for the festivals. But it may be ready in time for August or something.”

Will we get to hear any of its songs at High Voltage?

“Maybe. It’s possible.”

Can you divulge who will produce? With Mike now gone, will you handle things alone?

“I’m gonna continue as the producer, yeah. We talked about it, and it’s a passion of mine so I will continue with the reins. Paul Northfield, who has done the last two records, will engineer with us. The only thing different is that it will be mixed by somebody else in order to gain a bit of outside perspective.”

Can you give a flavour of the new songs?

“No. Not yet. I’ve been writing here at home, laying down some idea and trading a few (with the rest of the band). But we do have a very definitive focus regarding the type of record we want to make. That’s something that will be revealed in time.”

Meanwhile, everybody else in the band is stepping up to the plate to compensate for Portnoy’s creative absence?

“Absolutely, yeah. When you have a family, or some kind of business, and something happens unexpectedly to send it into crisis or tragedy then everybody ends up pulling together. There’s a lot more communication going on between everybody. We have a wealth of talent and creativity, and it will pull us through.”

It’s interesting that both of High Voltage’s headliners will be at pivotal points in their careers; a new beginning for Dream Theater, and the end of the road for Judas Priest, who are winding up an inspirational four-decade career as part of a farewell global excursion called the Epitaph tour…

“Wow, I didn’t know that,” imparted Petrucci with an air of sadness. “I’ve always been a very big fan of Judas Priest… how could anyone not be? That’s bound to make for a very emotional evening.”

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: New JP Interview
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 06:25:57 AM »
“No. Not yet. I’ve been writing here at home, laying down some idea and trading a few (with the rest of the band). But we do have a very definitive focus regarding the type of record we want to make. That’s something that will be revealed in time.”

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Also, glad someone else is going to do the mixing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 06:29:24 AM »
Getting someone else to do the mixing is a great step in an exciting direction.  Thanks Rich!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 06:30:03 AM »
Thanks Rich! Really interesting stuff, especially about the outside mixing.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 06:35:28 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't wild about Paul Northfield's mix at all on the last one. I don't know what "Engineering" means but I'm sure it'll be OK.

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 06:42:11 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't wild about Paul Northfield's mix at all on the last one. I don't know what "Engineering" means but I'm sure it'll be OK.
He's the one hitting the "record" button, and turning on the autotune.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 06:51:04 AM »
Great interview.  :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 07:02:44 AM »
52 % for DT to split up ?

Wowzer - from what ive read on this forum, I thought people would rather DT move on a are excited about a new drummer / future.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 07:06:43 AM »
That's just a whole bunch of posers voting. People on this forum are more optimistic when it comes to things like this.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 07:26:30 AM »
Thanks for the interview, Rich. What JP said makes me quite interested in what direction DT have planned to go towards with the new album.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 07:27:07 AM »
That's the bit that I found the most interesting. I involuntarily went "...ooh!" when I read it.

Looks to me like the other members might've been writing some stuff beforehand, too?

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 07:38:40 AM »
It seems like it..
I am so excited now!Thanks Rich!

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 08:05:01 AM »

I'm sorry, I don't post here often but lurk every day, but I really can't stop myself from answering this.

I think you should know some audio engineers have degrees and have studied math, physics, electronics and programming to do what they do, with a great passion for delivering a good piece of art to a bunch of ungrateful fans, I included. I was going to post something with a varying range of insults, but I think it's better to explain to you what a sound engineer is, so maybe next time you won't take sound engineering for granted.

But hey, what's an aerospace engineer, they just press the "wind tunnel" button and turn on the engine.  :-\

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 08:08:19 AM »
I'm not gonna pretend to understand what the behind-the-scenes dealings are.  The amount of legal work involved is probably tremendous.  But keeping secrets long-term is impossible.   At some point they're gonna have to go to the studio, and someone camping outside will snap a photo of the drummer.  And then it will leak.  How good would that be for them?

I like that they're trying to get an idea of what the album is beforehand and that there's a central musical concept.  I also really like getting an outside mixer for a lot of reasons.

And Re: Audio Engineering - It's more than just hitting record.  Mic selection, and EQ/compression/FX while recording are a huge part of shaping what the eventually finished album will sound like.  Listen to the unmixed demos of Wither and TBOT.  The kind of sound the album has was fundamentally shaped by the recording decisions.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 08:14:23 AM »
The engineer is the one operating the desk, DSP, Effects, etc. A lot of times its just the producer saying " make it sound like this " and the engineer has to know how to get that sound. A producer does not have to know how anything works, he just has to convey to the engineer what he wants. Rick Rubin for example.. He just turns up once a month and says " sounds good " or " sounds bad " and goes back home again, takes all the credit while the engineer is in the studio all day making suggestions, getting sounds and operating all the controls...

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 08:42:24 AM »
I don't understand why interviewers don't ask basic questions that might be of interest to fans, such as:

"In an interview, Jordan Rudess said the music on BCSL was written almost exclusively by you, him, and Mike Portnoy.  With Portnoy gone, have Myung and LaBrie stepped up as songwriters to fill that void?  What about the new Drummer's role in the music?"

"What kind of behind-the-scenes aspects have to be in place before you reveal the new drummer's name?"

"How will you protect his identity from leaking out to the internet?"

"Is it out of the realm of possibility that the new drummer is a female?"

I recognize you shouldn't ask questions like "Is John Myung writing lyrics?" because his mind's not there and it's lame.  You definitely shouldn't ask him to address the Mangini rumors.  If they're not true, he won't squash them.  If they're true, it just frazzles him and makes him not want to come back for your magazines.  Gossip in general is arguably rude.

But why are interviewers so utterly unwilling to go deeper with their questions and find out interesting information?  God forbid you show courtesy to your interview subjects and be willing to take certain things off the record if the question becomes uncomfortable.
Over and over again

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 09:04:16 AM »
I don't understand why interviewers don't ask basic questions that might be of interest to fans, such as:

"In an interview, Jordan Rudess said the music on BCSL was written almost exclusively by you, him, and Mike Portnoy.  With Portnoy gone, have Myung and LaBrie stepped up as songwriters to fill that void?  What about the new Drummer's role in the music?"

"What kind of behind-the-scenes aspects have to be in place before you reveal the new drummer's name?"

"How will you protect his identity from leaking out to the internet?"

"Is it out of the realm of possibility that the new drummer is a female?"

I recognize you shouldn't ask questions like "Is John Myung writing lyrics?" because his mind's not there and it's lame.  You definitely shouldn't ask him to address the Mangini rumors.  If they're not true, he won't squash them.  If they're true, it just frazzles him and makes him not want to come back for your magazines.  Gossip in general is arguably rude.

But why are interviewers so utterly unwilling to go deeper with their questions and find out interesting information?  God forbid you show courtesy to your interview subjects and be willing to take certain things off the record if the question becomes uncomfortable.

Because interviewers aren't fans and journalism isn't what it used to be.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 09:23:50 AM »
Reapsta, I'm totally with you. So many times I read an interview and think, "seriously? Those are the best questions you could come up with?". They're often completely generic and boring ("How are you enjoying your tour?", "When does the next album come out?").

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 09:27:44 AM »

I'm sorry, I don't post here often but lurk every day, but I really can't stop myself from answering this.

I think you should know some audio engineers have degrees and have studied math, physics, electronics and programming to do what they do, with a great passion for delivering a good piece of art to a bunch of ungrateful fans, I included. I was going to post something with a varying range of insults, but I think it's better to explain to you what a sound engineer is, so maybe next time you won't take sound engineering for granted.

But hey, what's an aerospace engineer, they just press the "wind tunnel" button and turn on the engine.  :-\
Why do you have to take this as personal?

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »

But hey, what's an aerospace engineer, they just press the "wind tunnel" button and turn on the engine.  :-\
Why do you have to take this as personal?

Meh, I know, I also hate it when people get all offended about things, but I'm an audio engineer and I feel like it's my god given duty to educate people and be smug about it!  :laugh:

But really all of these albums could sound much worse, a lot of work goes into making them sound the way they do, programmers and DSP experts spend years perfecting the software and hardware, sound technicians work days and night to get the right sound whether it's mixing or mastering an album, and then that work goes to a bunch of people who just sit on their ass and criticize things they don't really understand. They just sit there and go "Argh! The cymbals... are not... to my liking enough." Then it seems clear people think an audio engineer just sits there and turns on autotune, and intentionally screws the sound up just to screw with them. I'm probably rambling. Do people understand how difficult it is to do a mix with as many tracks and instruments as DT?

This also comes to mind:
https://blog.simgaming.net/images/lights.png

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 09:40:40 AM »
It's cool that you're an audio engineer, but a more: "Nah, what they really do is this..." response would have been better and we would probably start to ask you questions on this and become more interested.

Now? now I hate audio engineers. They are the worst.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 09:41:57 AM »
very awesome interivew.  I love JP.
thanks, Rich

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 09:49:29 AM »
It's cool that you're an audio engineer, but a more: "Nah, what they really do is this..." response would have been better and we would probably start to ask you questions on this and become more interested.

Now? now I hate audio engineers. They are the worst.

Lmao. I'm not going to post two pages explaining what an engineer does, I just thought it was an ignorant comment from that dude.

This thread isn't about me, I'm sorry I brought this up in my first post here in ever, just move on.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 09:57:11 AM »
This is exactly what I said before Petrucci even said anything:

....we had no intentions disassembling our empire, or even slowing it down. If anything, especially coming off a US tour with Iron Maiden, we felt completely the opposite. The last record (2009’s Black Clouds And Silver Linings) was the highest charting record of our career, so it made no sense whatever to slow things down. If anything, we had to do the opposite: More, bigger, better.”

Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 10:05:21 AM »
Thanks for this Rich...I like how you said "might be" of interest! Haa  ;)

Offline herydreather

• Indonesian Metal
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 10:53:52 AM »
to JP :
New Engineer...new great album...i've been wait

I Love Indonesia

Offline jsem

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 11:05:05 AM »
This is exactly what I said before Petrucci even said anything:

....we had no intentions disassembling our empire, or even slowing it down. If anything, especially coming off a US tour with Iron Maiden, we felt completely the opposite. The last record (2009’s Black Clouds And Silver Linings) was the highest charting record of our career, so it made no sense whatever to slow things down. If anything, we had to do the opposite: More, bigger, better.”

This is bad. We should make sure it doesn't chart so they make another I&W!

Actually.. now I don't know if I'm sarcastic or not  :huh:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 12:37:44 PM »
I don't understand why interviewers don't ask basic questions that might be of interest to fans,
Because we, the hardcore fans, are the ones who know these questions. There's no reason that Dave Ling should know those specific details.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 12:41:01 PM »
For a magazine like Classic Rock, I'm sure there are a few hardcore DT fans, or at least those who are pretty damn interested in the band, that David Ling could contact for question ideas. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
I don't understand why interviewers don't ask basic questions that might be of interest to fans,
Because we, the hardcore fans, are the ones who know these questions. There's no reason that Dave Ling should know those specific details.

To some extent I can agree, such as not knowing about the Rudess interview.  But when JP says that things have to happen behind the scenes, it follows logically to ask what those things are.  As a journalist, don't you want to ask more interesting questions to get more interesting answers to write a more interesting story which makes the magazine more money and makes you a more valued and possibly higher paid and more powerful employee?

Maybe though he had a limited time and wanted to get through his interview script.  I still think this results in a lower quality story but it isn't unreasonable.
Over and over again

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 12:46:29 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the interview

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 12:49:29 PM »
I hate to reiterate it, but one of the immediate improvements after MP's departure is that we suddenly get all these interesting interviews.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 12:55:45 PM »
I hate to reiterate it, but one of the immediate improvements after MP's departure is that we suddenly get all these interesting interviews.

rumborak

Yeah especially from JP and the other guys seem a lot more personal to the fans. Not that they weren't before but MP was the one that was always doing interviews before etc...

I think I read/listened 5-6 interviews from JLB after MPs departure.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 01:01:03 PM »

To some extent I can agree, such as not knowing about the Rudess interview.  But when JP says that things have to happen behind the scenes, it follows logically to ask what those things are.  As a journalist, don't you want to ask more interesting questions to get more interesting answers to write a more interesting story which makes the magazine more money and makes you a more valued and possibly higher paid and more powerful employee?

Maybe though he had a limited time and wanted to get through his interview script.  I still think this results in a lower quality story but it isn't unreasonable.
Possibly, although we can't really tell the tone of the conversation. From the written words alone, it could be that JP was sounding slightly defensive about not revealing anything, so Dave may have just not wanted to appear pushy.

The question about JM and JLB taking a more active role would have been a great one for dedicated fans, but yeah as you say that's the one he's least likely to know about.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 01:19:27 PM »
If this:
“...we do have a very definitive focus regarding the type of record we want to make. That’s something that will be revealed in time.”

= concept album,

Then, I am my excitement levels for the new album just went through the roof!  :metal

Matt