Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313886 times)

Online DTwwbwMP

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #3465 on: January 21, 2024, 07:17:36 PM »

MY groupings outside of DT.....

SF D
:omg:
REALLY????????????????????????? WHY????????????????

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3466 on: January 21, 2024, 07:21:04 PM »
I can't say Shattered Fortress even registered on my radar. I can't really care about a band MP throws together to play the overrated 12 SS. Maybe if it was musicians I knew, but even then, what are they even playing?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3467 on: January 21, 2024, 07:23:25 PM »
MP made a band...just to play the 12SS?

Incredible.

Online HOF

« Reply #3468 on: January 21, 2024, 07:26:34 PM »
I wouldn't really consider the Shattered Fortress to be a band/project any more than Yellow Matter Custard or Hammer of the Gods or whatever other tribute concerts he did. Those were just one-off/limited runs for live purposes.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3469 on: January 21, 2024, 07:27:44 PM »
I wouldn't really consider the Shattered Fortress to be a band/project any more than Yellow Matter Custard or Hammer of the Gods or whatever other tribute concerts he did. Those were just one-off/limited runs for live purposes.

I can agree with that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3470 on: January 21, 2024, 07:39:14 PM »

Same thing with PSMS to some degree (just for a tour, no original music).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online HOF

« Reply #3471 on: January 21, 2024, 08:04:03 PM »

Yeah not really a band per se (though I do wish that lineup had made some original music together).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3472 on: January 21, 2024, 08:13:49 PM »

Yeah not really a band per se (though I do wish that lineup had made some original music together).

I was hoping too! But then we got SOA...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 05:56:00 AM by gzarruk »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online HOF

« Reply #3473 on: January 21, 2024, 09:04:28 PM »
I don't know if there were ever plans to form a band doing original material, but I guess maybe Tony's cancer might have prevented that from happening.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3474 on: January 22, 2024, 12:07:51 AM »

MY groupings outside of DT.....

SF D
:omg:
REALLY????????????????????????? WHY????????????????

My thoughts exactly......
That was a fricking awesome tour.

As for band, it was MP with Haken but without their drummer plus Eric Gilette from The Neal Morse Band.

Great memories from that tour. MP came down and handed me a stick after the 3rd song....

Setlist was awesome too.... getting to see 12SS was something I thought would never happen when MP left DT but there it was his 50th birthday present to the fans.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mike-portnoys-shattered-fortress/2017/slagthuset-malmo-sweden-63e43a4b.html

Speaking of which..... the efforts that MP and the others put into playig in Malmö....

Local promotor Progressive Circus noticed that there was a day of in the schedule between Paris and somewhere else. MP quickly agreed to come.
This meant travelling 14 hours on bus from Paris to Malmö... setting up, playing, tearing down and then 14 hours on bus to the next town.
Will always be grateful and amazed for the effort they put up to get to play in Malmö.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3475 on: January 22, 2024, 08:04:26 AM »
And yet... that Shattered Fortress show was one of the best I've ever seen. The energy was through the roof (and it was the first sort of... thawing.  If I remember correctly, Rena came to the show in NY).   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3476 on: January 22, 2024, 08:14:48 AM »
And yet... that Shattered Fortress show was one of the best I've ever seen. The energy was through the roof (and it was the first sort of... thawing.  If I remember correctly, Rena came to the show in NY).

Yeah, that NYC show was really good.  And I'm not even a big fan of the 12SS as a whole, but like you said, there was an energy in that room that DT would be incredibly jealous to have since MP left.  Also, there's a uniqueness to those shows.  We'll likely never get that group of guys playing like that together again.  Also to add, I thought they did a great job doing those songs too including Ross' vocals. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3477 on: January 22, 2024, 08:49:38 AM »
I recall he had one of those shows recorded/filmed but was sitting on it due to his issues with DT. I wonder if we might see that released now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Kocak

« Reply #3478 on: January 22, 2024, 09:08:56 AM »
I recall he had one of those shows recorded/filmed but was sitting on it due to his issues with DT. I wonder if we might see that released now.

He has one pro shot video on his channel. I wonder if it was the Tilburg show?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3479 on: January 22, 2024, 09:19:48 AM »

He has one pro shot video on his channel. I wonder if it was the Tilburg show?

He does have material from The Shattered Fortress recorded, and I think it was Tillburg...they do LOTS of recording there. Funny enough, I asked him about that and about Tillburg when I interviewed him and everyone else from the NEal Morse Band, backstage at their concert in Toronto in 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0PvzjRTvp8

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3480 on: January 22, 2024, 09:37:33 AM »

Yeah, that NYC show was really good.  And I'm not even a big fan of the 12SS as a whole, but like you said, there was an energy in that room that DT would be incredibly jealous to have since MP left.  Also, there's a uniqueness to those shows.  We'll likely never get that group of guys playing like that together again.  Also to add, I thought they did a great job doing those songs too including Ross' vocals.
Yeah, I was at the NYC show as well and it was incredible. Definitely agree that the energy from that show is something DT has not achieve in a while (At least at the shows I've gone to).

The ending to This Dying Soul is probably one of my favorite concert moments I've have experienced, with all 3 guitar players taking turns during the solo  :metal

https://youtu.be/vJtocduQqLw?feature=shared&t=1361
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3481 on: January 22, 2024, 09:41:42 AM »

While I would like to listen to a good recording of it, I would find it strange if the first release he does when back in DT is a recording of DT songs being played by non-DT musicians.

Maybe there's an opportunity somewhere along the line.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3482 on: January 22, 2024, 09:46:47 AM »
My only real issue with the Shattered Fortress thing is that he went to unnecessary lenghts with 3 guitar players. Eric alone would've been just fine. I guess since he was already taking half of Haken with him, he thought he would take the other half anyway :lol (even Ray played with them on Repentance for a few shows).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3483 on: January 22, 2024, 09:56:02 AM »

Yeah, I was at the NYC show as well and it was incredible. Definitely agree that the energy from that show is something DT has not achieve in a while (At least at the shows I've gone to).

The ending to This Dying Soul is probably one of my favorite concert moments I've have experienced, with all 3 guitar players taking turns during the solo  :metal

Yeah, that part was incredible.

While I would like to listen to a good recording of it, I would find it strange if the first release he does when back in DT is a recording of DT songs being played by non-DT musicians.

Maybe there's an opportunity somewhere along the line.

I feel like if it gets released, it's after the band is retired.  I see no reason for this to come out when DT is reuniting.  Makes little sense to focus on the time apart.  BUT if there exists a proper recording, I'd love for it to see the light.  My videos from the NYC show aren't the greatest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bwd95zKRm4 but I also remember a pretty solid DTF meet up before that show.  There's a picture somewhere.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3484 on: January 22, 2024, 01:42:02 PM »

Wow! How much fun were they having?! Brilliant.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3485 on: January 22, 2024, 08:04:24 PM »
Yeah, that NYC Shattered Fortress show was special. Probably in my inner circle for top concerts I've ever been to. The energy was so crazy that night, never experienced anything like it at a DT show, even when MP was still in the band pre-2010. And I remember thinking it was cruel of MP to make all three guitar players not only learn that crazy unison, but coordinate coming in and out of it with each other and Diego :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3486 on: January 22, 2024, 11:51:00 PM »
They might have had the idea themselves, who knows? It's relatively rare to see musicians so obviously enjoying themselves like that, whatever the story behind it. I got the feeling they were just living their best lives in that moment, just like every time I see my ex-dog and he's bounding with every possible drop of enthusiasm a golden retriever can muster :biggrin: (And that's a lot of enthusiasm for anyone who's never had a golden!)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3487 on: January 22, 2024, 11:55:15 PM »
It was such an awesome show would have loved to relive it through a BlueRay release..... alas, not going to happen

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3488 on: January 23, 2024, 02:16:35 AM »
I went to this show:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mike-portnoys-shattered-fortress/2017/koko-london-england-53e4cbed.html

And my memory definitely recalls they played A Change of Seasons as the encore. Is my memory wrong or is Setlist FM wrong?
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3489 on: January 23, 2024, 04:42:23 AM »
your memory is wrong. MP stated he wanted to also play ACOS, but didn't do that because DT was also touring ACOS around that time.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3490 on: January 24, 2024, 06:39:23 AM »
I never caught the 12SS shows, was there any official release or anything like that?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3491 on: January 24, 2024, 06:51:08 AM »
I never caught the 12SS shows, was there any official release or anything like that?

There was a recording made in Tillburg but never released.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3492 on: January 24, 2024, 08:34:12 AM »
your memory is wrong. MP stated he wanted to also play ACOS, but didn't do that because DT was also touring ACOS around that time.

Yes, and that's a total shame...ACOS is more personal to MP than it is for the rest of the band. He respectfully declined to play it with The Shattered Fortress because DT were playing it at the same time and didn't want to raise comparisons and nasty comments online.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3493 on: January 29, 2024, 01:44:18 PM »
MP's best side project is Dream Theater
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3494 on: January 29, 2024, 02:40:22 PM »

Yes, and that's a total shame...ACOS is more personal to MP than it is for the rest of the band. He respectfully declined to play it with The Shattered Fortress because DT were playing it at the same time and didn't want to raise comparisons and nasty comments online.
You do remember why DT played it on the I/W 2.0 tour in 2017, don't you? Because it was supposed to close I/W. That was the only reason. And it would have worked as its closer IMHO, especially in its completed form. I don't think John intended to be mean to MP or to anyone for that matter.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3495 on: January 31, 2024, 09:07:02 AM »
I went to see TSF when then played un Argentina and it was a blast. I was completely blown away by Eric and how good he was at both the guitar and singing. That was also the first time the Haken guys got to play in South America and there is no doubt in my mind that the experience led them to include SA in their next tours.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3496 on: February 02, 2024, 03:35:39 AM »

You do remember why DT played it on the I/W 2.0 tour in 2017, don't you? Because it was supposed to close I/W. That was the only reason. And it would have worked as its closer IMHO, especially in its completed form. I don't think John intended to be mean to MP or to anyone for that matter.

Yes, I don't think it was included to spite MP.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3497 on: February 02, 2024, 08:51:18 PM »

Maybe not but there is a CD/DVD to enjoy just like the cover band projects.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3498 on: February 02, 2024, 08:53:28 PM »

That's the show I would have been at but I just wasn't feelin it.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3499 on: March 08, 2024, 07:21:31 AM »
Yesterday we received a promo album for the band Sonic Universe, and it mentioned Mike Portnoy as part of Porcupine Tree, did I miss that collaboration or the press release is way off?