Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313150 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2940 on: December 31, 2022, 09:03:24 PM »
New Year’s Liquid Experiment

Actually, Mike uploaded a story from the jam and it sounded very LTE-ish to me :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #2941 on: December 31, 2022, 09:16:39 PM »
The story he uploaded sounds super cool. What a great night for Eric. It was cool seeing Jordan watching him for cues.

This reminded me that LTE still has a fourth album due per their contract. Maybe it will happen this year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2942 on: January 01, 2023, 06:33:21 AM »
Tim, he is an amazing guitarist.

He is very good, yes, and I am glad he is in NMB, but, and this is a small but :P, I wish he would develop more of his own style.  He sounds very much like a Petrucci clone without much of his own stamp on his playing.  Let's say for the sake of argument that this trio make an album.  I suspect most who are not familiar with Eric prior to it will come away thinking, "Why didn't they just get Petrucci since he sounds just like him anyway (except not as good)?" 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2943 on: January 01, 2023, 07:43:41 AM »
I agree with you Kev, he sounds very much like Petrucci. I do really like Eric's youtube channel where he does his multi instrumentalist covers. Check them out if you've never seen them before.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2944 on: January 01, 2023, 08:36:24 AM »
I agree with you Kev, he sounds very much like Petrucci. I do really like Eric's youtube channel where he does his multi instrumentalist covers. Check them out if you've never seen them before.

I've seen a few.  Mostly enjoyable, although I think he should have steered clear of Bohemian Rhapsody. 

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2945 on: January 01, 2023, 08:49:31 AM »
Just a comment, although I do think Eric's soloing style is very close to JP's, if you listen to his 2 solo albums (Afterthought and The Great Unknown) as a composer, his style seems a lot closer to Planet X and Spock's Beard.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2946 on: January 01, 2023, 09:00:04 AM »
Just a comment, although I do think Eric's soloing style is very close to JP's, if you listen to his 2 solo albums (Afterthought and The Great Unknown) as a composer, his style seems a lot closer to Planet X and Spock's Beard.

I have The Great Unknown, and there are a couple songs I like quite a bit, but the rest wasn't notable enough for me to keep in the rotation, so I am a bit fuzzy on those other songs.  Feels like Eric is definitely at his best when collaborating with others, which is not a bad thing at all, as collaboration is a hallmark of music.  :hat :hat

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2947 on: January 01, 2023, 09:53:15 AM »
I know MP was joking about the album, but I want it.
Photobucket sucks.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2948 on: January 01, 2023, 01:14:50 PM »

I have The Great Unknown, and there are a couple songs I like quite a bit, but the rest wasn't notable enough for me to keep in the rotation, so I am a bit fuzzy on those other songs.  Feels like Eric is definitely at his best when collaborating with others, which is not a bad thing at all, as collaboration is a hallmark of music.  :hat :hat
That's also how I feel about The Great Unknown and it's better than Afterthought.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2949 on: January 01, 2023, 01:59:41 PM »
I'd go for hearing Eric Gillette play some music in a different style like Funk or Bluegrass.

Online frogprog

« Reply #2950 on: January 01, 2023, 05:31:45 PM »
He's very talented. I'm sure he could play in a lot of different styles. Very talented singer as well (not to mention playing drums better than I ever will :)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2951 on: January 01, 2023, 06:15:39 PM »
He's very talented. I'm sure he could play in a lot of different styles. Very talented singer as well (not to mention playing drums better than I ever will :)

And let's not forget that when he joined NMB he was the special 6th man playing guitar, keys and backing vocals (like Daniel or Ted with Transatlantic).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2952 on: January 01, 2023, 07:09:35 PM »

And let's not forget that when he joined NMB he was the special 6th man playing guitar, keys and backing vocals (like Daniel or Ted with Transatlantic).

Was the band known as the NMB when he, Bill, and Adson joined? I thought the name Neal Morse Band wasn't used until *after* the Momentum Tour/the release of The Grand Experiment? Either way, Eric was definitely a good choice to add to the band. A shame Adson couldn't stick around though.

Also, Jordan shared more video of his jam session with Mike and Eric: https://fb.watch/hNZn5i0tF7/

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #2953 on: January 02, 2023, 11:55:18 AM »
New Year’s Liquid Experiment

Actually, Mike uploaded a story from the jam and it sounded very LTE-ish to me :tup
Where can I find Mike's story?

I'm a big Eric Gillette fan, love his playing and his singing.  Even though yes, his solo style is close to JP - he's still produced some of my favorite solos of the last few years (The Glory of the Lord from Sola Gratia and all his solos on Beyond the Years), great stuff!

Online frogprog

« Reply #2954 on: January 02, 2023, 02:27:02 PM »
Watched Jordan's video and enjoyed it. Thats exactly  what my band mates and I do. Get together and jam for the fun if it. Its very therapeutic! Looked like Eric was playing Marlene's rig from recent JP tour and ...oh look, a korg Kronos for Mr. Rudess!

Offline emtee

« Reply #2955 on: January 03, 2023, 09:56:03 AM »
Surprised to see QR on Mike's list. My AOY.

I thought he would have Megadeth on his list too but it must not have connected with him.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2956 on: January 03, 2023, 12:34:06 PM »
I just find it strange that a guy named Gillette has a beard.

He's Frank Beard's nemesis.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2957 on: January 03, 2023, 06:00:21 PM »
I just find it strange that a guy named Gillette has a beard.

I feel like this didn't get the spotlight it deserved  :biggrin:

Surprised to see QR on Mike's list. My AOY.

I thought he would have Megadeth on his list too but it must not have connected with him.

Yeah, I thought I remember him saying he enjoyed Dystopia when it came out ...in my book, The Sick, ... is even better. Although I might be completely wrong about what I remember, so it is what it is  ;)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2958 on: January 12, 2023, 01:11:40 PM »
Looks like some of the Metal news sites have picked up the info, so I guess the cats outta the bag…not only will myself and Steve Vai induct Twisted Sister into the Metal Hall Of Fame on Jan 26th at the Canyon Club in CA, but we will also be performing a few songs live for the 1st time since 2016 at the ceremony as well! Can’t wait to get up there and throw down with my Sistas once again!🤘 #SMFForever

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2959 on: January 13, 2023, 05:28:25 PM »
MP just stated in a recent interview that he was scheduled to play a "one-off" performance with a HUGE band, but the festival was cancelled??? Any guesses as to what the festival was and who the band was? It wasn't Foo's. Just wondering if anyone could figure this out. :huh: :huh: :huh:

Offline HOF

« Reply #2960 on: January 13, 2023, 05:49:05 PM »
No idea who that band might have been, but you’d think at his age Mike would learn to roll with the Blabbermouth nonsense and not get so worked up when they run click bait headlines about things he says. These last two interviews he’s made comments about it.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2961 on: January 13, 2023, 05:52:16 PM »
No idea who that band might have been, but you’d think at his age Mike would learn to roll with the Blabbermouth nonsense and not get so worked up when they run click bait headlines about things he says. These last two interviews he’s made comments about it.

agreed

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #2962 on: January 13, 2023, 11:12:31 PM »

Meh. I think it's more like Mike is a near 40 year professional and understands the rule that 'no publicity is bad publicity' and fans the flames to keep his brand relevant. Even if he is getting worked up over it.

Thankfully, he is proficient enough to never have to go full Ted Nugent.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2963 on: January 14, 2023, 03:04:55 AM »
Hmm. I'm not sure I totally agree with that. He literally refused to answer a couple of questions in a video just published because the answers could have been blown up. Disclosure: I haven't watched the interview in question yet.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2964 on: January 14, 2023, 06:27:01 AM »

Meh. I think it's more like Mike is a near 40 year professional and understands the rule that 'no publicity is bad publicity' and fans the flames to keep his brand relevant. Even if he is getting worked up over it.

Agreed.  He is obviously someone who gets offended easily and has a hard time letting anything go, so reacting to any and everything is part of his brand, because it's a part of who he is, but I am sure he gets that his name in the headlines, even on Blabbermouth, is good for his overall brand.  It's the old adage of "I would rather someone yell at me than ignore me." 

Offline HOF

« Reply #2965 on: January 14, 2023, 06:46:48 AM »

Agreed.  He is obviously someone who gets offended easily and has a hard time letting anything go, so reacting to any and everything is part of his brand, because it's a part of who he is, but I am sure he gets that his name in the headlines, even on Blabbermouth, is good for his overall brand.  It's the old adage of "I would rather someone yell at me than ignore me."

The bigger issue is he claims it’s why he stopped giving interviews altogether, and then he says this most recent one was a bit awkward in places because he’s still gun shy about Blabbermouth. Seems to me it’s his fans who pay for it when he gets upset about it by him not doing interviews at all or him not being as forthcoming as he could be in interviews. I dunno, it all just feels so 20 years ago.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2966 on: January 14, 2023, 08:56:57 AM »
MP just stated in a recent interview that he was scheduled to play a "one-off" performance with a HUGE band, but the festival was cancelled??? Any guesses as to what the festival was and who the band was? It wasn't Foo's. Just wondering if anyone could figure this out. :huh: :huh: :huh:

Nickelback.

I'm serious.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2967 on: January 14, 2023, 05:45:25 PM »
Is nickelback's drummer not available?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2968 on: January 14, 2023, 06:31:00 PM »
Hrmm I just saw his insta, maybe he was going to fill in on a foo fighters gig?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2969 on: January 15, 2023, 03:43:00 AM »
For those who have Facebook, he started to post pictures of him with famous musicians or people he met along the road, based on the day of the year (for example on Dave Grohl's birthday he posted pictures with him) with some cool stories of how he came to meet this or that musician. The man met a lot of people in the music industry and he has some interesting anedctoes to say about it!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2970 on: January 15, 2023, 04:24:10 AM »
I just really like how much of a fanboy MP is of music and film. And now the celeb musician photos and anecdotes are really cool as well.

I always check out MP wrapped at the end of the year because the man has a similar taste in movies and I always discover stuff by his recommendations. I also follow his profile on letterboxd where he logs and rates all the stuff he watches.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2971 on: January 15, 2023, 10:08:20 AM »

He wasn't for this one festival appearance but it got canceled anyway.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2972 on: January 15, 2023, 12:45:01 PM »
I just really like how much of a fanboy MP is of music and film. And now the celeb musician photos and anecdotes are really cool as well.

I always check out MP wrapped at the end of the year because the man has a similar taste in movies and I always discover stuff by his recommendations. I also follow his profile on letterboxd where he logs and rates all the stuff he watches.

This was basically how I got into so much of the music I listened to about 20 years ago. Tons of it was just bands MP recommended or cited as influences or just talked about positively. Few if any people have had as big of an influence on me in terms of the music I listen to (even though there’s a ton of stuff Mike likes that I have little interest in, his tastes are broad enough that he still has influenced me a ton).

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2973 on: January 15, 2023, 02:38:47 PM »

He wasn't for this one festival appearance but it got canceled anyway.

I could see them asking Portnoy. Or their drummer(Daniel Adair??)asking him.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2974 on: January 31, 2023, 11:28:16 AM »
"Mike Portnoy Breaks Down His Favorite Teenage Albums"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zH7gmLJxws