Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 310070 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2870 on: August 31, 2022, 08:55:45 PM »
 :yarr
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2871 on: September 01, 2022, 08:18:11 AM »
Heh, you know JP, MP, and Kip Winger would be an awesome power trio.

Well, at least with Kip they'd have a great songwriter among the three of them.  :o

My math was off.  I was at only seventeen.

Trying to come up with a witty response that incorporates the songs Blind Revolution Mad, Who's the One and a host of other incredible tunes, but alas, cheeky humor is not my forte.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2872 on: September 04, 2022, 09:46:33 PM »
MP posted this from RIR

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2873 on: September 04, 2022, 10:06:05 PM »
I saw this pic on his insta and thought it was pretty cool

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2874 on: September 05, 2022, 12:48:28 PM »
Who's the fucking dude with all the tattoos on his face??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2875 on: September 05, 2022, 01:55:49 PM »
Who's the fucking dude with all the tattoos on his face??

From MP's FB post:
This pic deserves its own post as it’s so cool, random and unexpected…pretty crazy to be in the artist pit at Rock in Rio watching Iron Maiden and looking over my shoulder to see Post Malone rocking out next to me! I always figured he was a cool dude when I saw his knuckle tats paying tribute to misc dead rockers (Dimebag, Cobain, Lennon, Harrison, SRV, etc)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2876 on: September 05, 2022, 02:04:38 PM »
Ok then. Now...who is Post Malone?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2877 on: September 05, 2022, 02:18:17 PM »

From Wikipedia:

Austin Richard Post (born July 4, 1995), known professionally as Post Malone, is an American musician, rapper, singer, songwriter, and record producer. Known for his variegated vocals, Malone has gained acclaim for blending genres and subgenres of hip hop, pop, R&B, and trap. His stage name was derived from inputting his birth name into a rap name generator.

He's a fairly popular/well-known musical artist, but I don't expect rockers/proggers/older music fans to know him or his work. I only know about him from younger friends and things I've seen online about him.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2878 on: September 05, 2022, 02:33:05 PM »

While I'm sure you'll disagree he actually has some pretty solid songs, one of the bigger hits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7KLL-crH2Q

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2879 on: September 05, 2022, 02:53:19 PM »
He's an odd duck. He does the hip hop whatever stuff, but didn't he also do a live stream of him covering an entire Nirvana album or something?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2880 on: September 05, 2022, 02:55:48 PM »
I don't know if he covered all of Nevermind but yea he did a live stream of it a little while back. He is definitely an odd dude.

Online HOF

« Reply #2881 on: September 05, 2022, 03:06:48 PM »
Also did a video attempting to play Eric Johnson’s Cliffs of Dover. Interesting guy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2882 on: September 05, 2022, 03:26:42 PM »
Cool. I don't know him. Thank you!

He's a fairly popular/well-known musical artist, but I don't expect rockers/proggers/older music fans to know him or his work. I only know about him from younger friends and things I've seen online about him.

I saw what you did there. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2883 on: September 06, 2022, 07:55:10 AM »

There's a song on the last Ozzy album with him.  The rap you can have, but the dude has some rock talent.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2884 on: September 06, 2022, 08:05:08 AM »
For what is worth, I believe Post Malone was in a metal/rock band before switching to hip hop.

Talented dude, I just don't personally care for his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CVroJ8ovmc (He's the guitar player on the right).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 08:23:56 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2885 on: September 06, 2022, 10:49:29 AM »
I have to admit that I thought the cool thing about the photo was that Portnoy was enjoying the show in the crowd and took the happy photo with some random Brazilian fan... :lol
Yes, but I already had heard of Post Malone.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2886 on: September 06, 2022, 11:58:29 AM »
Post Malone is massive, as in number 1 pop hits world wide massive.

There is one song of his I really enjoy, but overall it's not for me. Seems like a chill dude though. Over the years he has appeared as a guest in many youtube vids I watched.

And his quarantine Nirvana set was great.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2887 on: September 06, 2022, 12:10:30 PM »
I read on Blabbermouth this morning a transcription of some comments JLB made about he and MP moving forward. SO nice to see. What's happening is exactly what I had hoped. The two took the bullshit from the past, and got past it. I'm not saying that a DT reunion with MP is coming. I don't believe that will happen unless MM decides he doesn't want to be in the band. They all love Mangini and he's been great with DT. But it is so nice to see the love.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online HOF

« Reply #2888 on: September 06, 2022, 01:05:43 PM »
I read on Blabbermouth this morning a transcription of some comments JLB made about he and MP moving forward. SO nice to see. What's happening is exactly what I had hoped. The two took the bullshit from the past, and got past it. I'm not saying that a DT reunion with MP is coming. I don't believe that will happen unless MM decides he doesn't want to be in the band. They all love Mangini and he's been great with DT. But it is so nice to see the love.

I don’t think MP would ever become the full time drummer again, not sure he would even if MM up and quiet tomorrow. But it feels like relationships with the band are such that if, say, they wanted to do a an especially special concert for the 40th anniversary of DT in 2025, I could see MP being asked to perform a few songs with the band. Maybe even have a 2-drummer set up with a dueling drum solo or something.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2889 on: September 06, 2022, 01:09:24 PM »

I don’t think MP would ever become the full time drummer again, not sure he would even if MM up and quiet tomorrow. But it feels like relationships with the band are such that if, say, they wanted to do a an especially special concert for the 40th anniversary of DT in 2025, I could see MP being asked to perform a few songs with the band. Maybe even have a 2-drummer set up with a dueling drum solo or something.

Is this the "quiet quitting" I keep hearing about in the news/media?  :lol

But yes, I agree, if they plan a special anniversary concert in a couple of years, I'm sure MP would be more than willing to play a song or two, or even a full show. It would be an insanely awesome set to see both Mikes up on stage jamming out together! I'd love to see them play "Metropolis" and "A Change Of Seasons" together, if only because then they could cover the over-dubbed drum parts on both songs live!

-Marc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2890 on: September 06, 2022, 01:33:35 PM »

There is one song of his I really enjoy, but overall it's not for me. Seems like a chill dude though. Over the years he has appeared as a guest in many youtube vids I watched.

Please check this out:  https://youtu.be/SeOeYGBA49s

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2891 on: September 07, 2022, 09:58:08 AM »

Please check this out:  https://youtu.be/SeOeYGBA49s

:tup

Nice, dude is talented and has passion for the music for sure.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2892 on: October 27, 2022, 07:42:36 AM »
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online HOF

« Reply #2893 on: October 27, 2022, 07:44:43 AM »
Wow, LOL.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2894 on: October 27, 2022, 08:29:50 AM »
I wouldn't keep my hopes up for the third Sons of Apollo album.  ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2895 on: October 27, 2022, 08:46:05 AM »
What prompted Mike's post?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online HOF

« Reply #2896 on: October 27, 2022, 08:53:14 AM »
What prompted Mike's post?

He was quoting another prog website’s FB post about the anniversary of SFAM and they mentioned that the album had grown out of the demos done during the FII sessions.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2897 on: October 27, 2022, 08:59:40 AM »
I expect DT to be above this level of nonsense . . . everyone knows Derek was in on those sessions; why in hell didn't they credit him? Lame.

Online DTA

« Reply #2898 on: October 27, 2022, 09:02:12 AM »
He definitely should’ve been compensated but that seems like a 1999/2000 discussion rather than a 2022 Facebook post. This guy must enjoy burning bridges

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2899 on: October 27, 2022, 09:07:35 AM »
Two things:

1. Are we sure that's actually DS behind that post? I thought artists usually get a blue checkmark on facebook (like MP has)

2. He's not wrong. I was very surprised hearing the original demo for Met Pt 2 on the FII demos, as a LOT of the keyboard stuff on the final album was ripped right from it, including solos.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online HOF

« Reply #2900 on: October 27, 2022, 09:16:37 AM »
Two things:

1. Are we sure that's actually DS behind that post? I thought artists usually get a blue checkmark on facebook (like MP has)

2. He's not wrong. I was very surprised hearing the original demo for Met Pt 2 on the FII demos, as a LOT of the keyboard stuff on the final album was ripped right from it, including solos.

That does appear to be Derek’s official page, though he doesn't have a blue checkmark. I suspect it could be a bit tongue in cheek, or at least I can sort of see Derek doing that as a joke.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2901 on: October 27, 2022, 09:38:16 AM »
I'm pretty sure they have each others' numbers at this point.  I'm not reading a bunch into a couple quick Facechat posts.   (Though "#screwjob" is funny.). Oh, and just because it was played in a similar or even the same way on the FII demos doesn't mean Derek WROTE it, even if it was a "jam".

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2902 on: October 27, 2022, 09:40:59 AM »
I'm not a fan of DS, but if that's all true then he does deserve his credit.  But coming to facebook with this at this time just seems odd to me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2903 on: October 27, 2022, 09:43:07 AM »
I'm not a fan of DS, but if that's all true then he does deserve his credit.  But coming to facebook with this at this time just seems odd to me.

I'm with you if it's true; a lot of bands go back and retroactive things to be right; most of the songs from the first Marillion album - originally credited to Dick/Kelly/Pointer/Rothery/Trewavas now have Brian Jelliman and/or Diz Minnitt (early keyboard and bass players) credited. It's a similar situation, just with the first album, not one later in their career.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2904 on: October 27, 2022, 10:42:40 AM »
Why Derek decided to post is beyond me - he seems to still be salty over something that happened over 20 years ago. But I think it's a pretty safe bet that he was paid off for his contributions when they severed ties with him in 1999. If not, then you can be sure there would've been a lawsuit over this which would have been made public at some point before now. Even when they parted, in interviews of that time, Derek wasn't antagonistic - had he been screwed over, it would've come out then, not now.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.