Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313915 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2695 on: March 06, 2022, 01:03:47 AM »
Warms the cockles, that picture with James. Genuinely pleased for both.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2696 on: March 06, 2022, 01:10:58 AM »
I personally could care less that Portnoy took a picture with James. Friendships can mend, especially when situations occur to get both parties to consider their relationships with others. So I am not concerned or up in arms about them making amends. But good for them...

I am though, more fascinated with his thoughts on the show, and whether he sang along. Like what he thought of the setlist, Mangini using the small kit, and the mix of the sound. And how it felt seeing JP, JM, JR, and JLB from the perspective of a fan.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2697 on: March 06, 2022, 02:11:23 AM »

I am though, more fascinated with his thoughts on the show, and whether he sang along. Like what he thought of the setlist, Mangini using the small kit, and the mix of the sound. And how it felt seeing JP, JM, JR, and JLB from the perspective of a fan.
Same here, I'd also like to know what he thought about the new material, especially the epic..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2698 on: March 06, 2022, 07:51:15 AM »
I personally could care less that Portnoy took a picture with James. Friendships can mend, especially when situations occur to get both parties to consider their relationships with others. So I am not concerned or up in arms about them making amends. But good for them...

That is my take as well.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2699 on: March 06, 2022, 08:06:24 AM »
I personally could care less that Portnoy took a picture with James.

So you're saying you care?  :lol

I would loved to know what Mike's thoughts were on the show, and I'm sure he knows that the whole world (or at least his fans) would love to hear what he thought of it, the performances, the set list and song choices, the actual performances, and the new material. I remember a few years ago on one of the Neal Morse/NMB/Transatlantic tour docs, he had mentioned that his phone's music player kept suggesting him to listen to the new Dream Theater album, though I can't recall when it was or which album he was referring to at the time, but I did wonder if he had actually listened to it. Has he been collecting the albums since ADTOE just to keep his DT collection complete? I have so many questions!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2700 on: March 06, 2022, 08:10:43 AM »
I am sure he has heard them all, but I don't see him voicing any public opinion on any of them.  If he said anything that wasn't super positive, it would inevitably be interpreted (fair or not) as being a shot at the band's music without him, even if that was not his intention.  He has nothing to gain by saying anything.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2701 on: March 06, 2022, 08:48:30 AM »
Has he been collecting the albums since ADTOE just to keep his DT collection complete? I have so many questions!

-Marc.

I'd say so.

A few years ago he made a post with screenshots of his music library talking about all the mega-epics in his collection and how funny it was that he's played in most of them. Fans went crazy when they saw Illumination Theory there as well :tup

Took a while, but I found it:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2702 on: March 06, 2022, 09:47:30 AM »
He might have learned his lesson after his comments about ADToE.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2703 on: March 06, 2022, 10:02:54 AM »
Not often you see a list featuring Rush, Yes, Dream Theater, Genesis, Deep Purple, and Yoko Ono.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kram

« Reply #2704 on: March 06, 2022, 10:21:38 AM »
I personally could care less that Portnoy took a picture with James.

So you're saying you care?  :lol

Has he been collecting the albums since ADTOE just to keep his DT collection complete?
You know he has.  The dude's a serious collector border-lining on OCD.  How much he's listened to them, and what his true thoughts are, is what I'd like to know.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2705 on: March 06, 2022, 11:31:03 AM »
I am sure he has heard them all, but I don't see him voicing any public opinion on any of them.  If he said anything that wasn't super positive, it would inevitably be interpreted (fair or not) as being a shot at the band's music without him, even if that was not his intention.  He has nothing to gain by saying anything.

Agree completely, it's not worth the headache to comment.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2706 on: March 06, 2022, 02:32:49 PM »
I know he listened to ADTOE because he posted somewhere about how he theorized that they had essentially followed the charts from I&W while writing the album.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2707 on: March 06, 2022, 02:56:05 PM »
I know he listened to ADTOE because he posted somewhere about how he theorized that they had essentially followed the charts from I&W while writing the album.
I remember that.  He said, and I'm paraphrasing - that if it was supposed to be some sort of "nugget" for that fans, I suppose it's kinda cool - but if they did it because they ran out of ideas, it's pretty lame.  I remember he also said he recognized it as soon as he heard the songs.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2708 on: March 06, 2022, 03:39:18 PM »
I remember he also said he recognized it as soon as he heard the songs.
That is true - many assume that he only made the connection after Thiago started posting about it, but that wasn't the case. I know this because I spoke with MP before an AMob show on Sept 2nd and he told me about it then. Thiago didn't start posting about it until 3 days later.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline 425

« Reply #2709 on: March 06, 2022, 04:19:04 PM »
Video of James's shoutout to MP has been posted on reddit. The audio quality isn't that great, but you can hear a lot of what he says.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2710 on: March 06, 2022, 05:05:23 PM »

I could NOT care less.  The only reason I'd care would be if I wanted MP back in the band, which I don't (nor would I be opposed to him returning).  Who's friends with whom just isn't something that concerns me.

I would, however, also be interested in MP's thoughts about the material and the shows.  However, he obviously can't say anything beyond, "I had a great time and they sounded great" without creating a total shitstorm.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2711 on: March 06, 2022, 05:28:41 PM »
We know that answer pg.  I don't think that's what's on his mind.  It's 11 years later.  He probably enjoyed the moment.

It takes a lot to post that timechas past that I'll post I was there.  Though we know people saw him so...
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2712 on: March 07, 2022, 12:36:38 AM »
Video of James's shoutout to MP has been posted on reddit. The audio quality isn't that great, but you can hear a lot of what he says.
I just realised that they way James welcomed Mike must have sounded to the audience like Mike was coming to the stage.  ;D

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2713 on: March 07, 2022, 06:30:07 AM »

:heart

Offline HOF

« Reply #2714 on: March 07, 2022, 06:50:33 AM »
Was thinking last night that everyone in Transatlantic released an album in the last two weeks except for MP. Not sure he even has anything scheduled for release in 2022 so far? I know The Winery Dogs did some recording last year, so maybe they can finish that off and still get it out this year? Would be unusual for Mike to not have an album release in a given year.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2715 on: March 07, 2022, 07:21:48 AM »
Yeah, I expect that Winery Dogs will be out before the end of the year.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2716 on: March 07, 2022, 10:41:34 AM »
2023 for The Winery Dogs which sucks because I thought they were close to being done with it

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/the-winery-dogs-third-album-likely-wont-be-released-before-2023/

Offline HOF

« Reply #2717 on: March 07, 2022, 10:49:37 AM »
2023 for The Winery Dogs which sucks because I thought they were close to being done with it

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/the-winery-dogs-third-album-likely-wont-be-released-before-2023/

Ugh, that stinks. But honestly if it isn’t done in the next couple months anyway, the six month lead time all these albums need to manufacture these days pretty much will guarantee a 2023 release anyway. 2023 will be the 10th anniversary of the debut, come to think of it.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2718 on: March 07, 2022, 11:56:37 AM »

:heart
Great to see James acknowledged this in a positive way.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2719 on: March 07, 2022, 01:03:05 PM »
Here's how to react negatively to that pic: "wait...is James pointing a gun to Mike's head????"

Offline HOF

« Reply #2720 on: March 07, 2022, 01:33:15 PM »
Here's how to react negatively to that pic: "wait...is James pointing a gun to Mike's head????"

Nah, just telling him to “Cut it out” Dave Coulier style.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2721 on: March 07, 2022, 02:07:41 PM »

Well if you look at James' smile, compare to other photos and calculate the angles of his lips you can clearly see he doesn't want MP to be there. Additionally if you notice he isn't showing his teeth which means that MP is going to return to DT on April 1, 2025 /s

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2722 on: March 07, 2022, 06:22:36 PM »
Was thinking last night that everyone in Transatlantic released an album in the last two weeks except for MP. Not sure he even has anything scheduled for release in 2022 so far? I know The Winery Dogs did some recording last year, so maybe they can finish that off and still get it out this year? Would be unusual for Mike to not have an album release in a given year.

I'm sure Neal Morse has a solo album in the works to be released (or at least recorded) by year's end.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2723 on: March 07, 2022, 06:47:42 PM »

I'm sure Neal Morse has a solo album in the works to be released (or at least recorded) by year's end.

He's been working on a new musical over the last year or so, so that might happen this year.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2724 on: March 07, 2022, 07:06:46 PM »
Also, SOA are doing a small tour leg in South America later this year. They might want to start writing a new album after that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2725 on: March 08, 2022, 08:34:35 AM »
Also, SOA are doing a small tour leg in South America later this year. They might want to start writing a new album after that.

I'm surprised SOA is even a thing since no one seems to talk about it anymore

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2726 on: March 08, 2022, 08:40:33 AM »

They're doing the run of South American shows that were postponed since covid hit, and after that, there are no plans. At least not yet. I get a sense that nobody in the band is that excited about the prospect of continuing, but I could be wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2727 on: March 08, 2022, 08:51:58 AM »

They're doing the run of South American shows that were postponed since covid hit, and after that, there are no plans. At least not yet. I get a sense that nobody in the band is that excited about the prospect of continuing, but I could be wrong.

Seems legit

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2728 on: March 08, 2022, 08:54:31 AM »
Imagine them having basically forgot all about it, with Covid and other musical priorities, then on their agendas and apps they all get the reminder (or the tour manager contacts them, "so, this time is happening, you ready to book flights yet?") and they all go "oh shit we have to do this"  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2729 on: March 08, 2022, 08:57:15 AM »
Imagine them having basically forgot all about it, with Covid and other musical priorities, then on their agendas and apps they all get the reminder (or the tour manager contacts them, "so, this time is happening, you ready to book flights yet?") and they all go "oh shit we have to do this"  :lol

"Wait, how did that song go again???"