Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 310046 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2380 on: August 31, 2020, 11:39:09 AM »
Love that song; is that the one that James wouldn't sing? (Not a dig at James; I just always wondered what his objection to that was; I think he would have killed it). 

Hmmm.  It's good, but...  the vocals don't work for me; Ozzy is a tough gig to play.  This guy is clearly a very good singer; Ozzy is not a great singer, absolutely, but he's a great singer in that he captures what he's going for.  I think those first two solo albums really are brilliant, as much for Ozzy as for Randy.  There's a fragility, a vulnerability about his vocals that he never really got again, and this is almost TOO powerful and confident.   All my opinion of course.  Demmel nails the heavy parts later, but he sounds like he's struggling on the acoustic parts. 

That ending was killer, though; that was worth the price of admission if you ask me.   :)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2381 on: August 31, 2020, 02:54:00 PM »
Love that song; is that the one that James wouldn't sing? (Not a dig at James; I just always wondered what his objection to that was; I think he would have killed it). 

Hmmm.  It's good, but...  the vocals don't work for me; Ozzy is a tough gig to play.  This guy is clearly a very good singer; Ozzy is not a great singer, absolutely, but he's a great singer in that he captures what he's going for.  I think those first two solo albums really are brilliant, as much for Ozzy as for Randy.  There's a fragility, a vulnerability about his vocals that he never really got again, and this is almost TOO powerful and confident.   All my opinion of course.  Demmel nails the heavy parts later, but he sounds like he's struggling on the acoustic parts. 

That ending was killer, though; that was worth the price of admission if you ask me.   :)

I actually agree with everything you say. By the end of the song I came around to the vocals though. Still curious as hell as to why James wouldn't sing it.

Wonder why Mike doesn't give more props to Lee Kerslake. One of my top five drummers for sure. The Over the Mountain intro is probably my absolute favorite drum intro/bit of all time. Badass that they included that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2382 on: August 31, 2020, 04:33:22 PM »
Haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ILQlgolBIs

I think this is a really good cover of one of my favorite Ozzy songs.

Our boy Porty on drums and Rudy Sarzo on bass.  Don't know any of the other players, but the singer did a good job, and the guitar player resisted the urge to overplay.  Cool to involve Sarzo who, while not having played on the Blizzard album, did play the song live with Ozzy and Randy.

I hate being the last post before a page break.

James...Labrie?  Doesn't sound familiar.  Context?

Hmmm.  It's good, but...  the vocals don't work for me; Ozzy is a tough gig to play.  This guy is clearly a very good singer; Ozzy is not a great singer, absolutely, but he's a great singer in that he captures what he's going for.  I think those first two solo albums really are brilliant, as much for Ozzy as for Randy.  There's a fragility, a vulnerability about his vocals that he never really got again, and this is almost TOO powerful and confident.   All my opinion of course.  Demmel nails the heavy parts later, but he sounds like he's struggling on the acoustic parts

I've only listened a couple times.  There's something very, very unique about Ozzy's voice.  It was never "good" in the sense that you'd never teach someone to sing like he did in the 70s and first half of the 80s, but it worked so well.  The guy who sang on this cover was obviously more trained and what not, but you can't match Ozzy's uniqueness, so it's best not to try.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2383 on: August 31, 2020, 09:24:35 PM »

On the Official Bootlegs, the Uncovered album which was a compilation of random covers they did had Diary of a Madman and in the liner notes Portnoy said he wanted to do Revelation but James was adamant about NOT doing that one. I don't remember if it was in the liner notes or later in an interview he said that he was surprised James was so adamant because he was usually game for whatever. He never did say why.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2384 on: September 01, 2020, 10:41:10 AM »

On the Official Bootlegs, the Uncovered album which was a compilation of random covers they did had Diary of a Madman and in the liner notes Portnoy said he wanted to do Revelation but James was adamant about NOT doing that one. I don't remember if it was in the liner notes or later in an interview he said that he was surprised James was so adamant because he was usually game for whatever. He never did say why.

Gotcha.  I forgot that album existed.  I'd have bought it, but I don't think it has ever been in stock since I became aware that YJR existed, so I've never seen the liner notes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2385 on: September 02, 2020, 09:37:40 AM »

That happens a lot with Ozzy. Far more talented singers usually fail to pull off what he did. I noticed that recently with SoA doing Diary, and thinking JSC was the weak link. And it's easy to notice with every live album Sabbath did after Ozzy. The only one that could really pull off Ozzy's vocals was the unsung Ray Gillen.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2386 on: September 02, 2020, 09:40:06 AM »
I always thought Anthrax with John Bush did an awesome Supernaut. Live it kicked ass.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2387 on: September 03, 2020, 11:28:08 AM »

That happens a lot with Ozzy. Far more talented singers usually fail to pull off what he did. I noticed that recently with SoA doing Diary, and thinking JSC was the weak link. And it's easy to notice with every live album Sabbath did after Ozzy. The only one that could really pull off Ozzy's vocals was the unsung Ray Gillen.

Ozzy might not be a great singer, but he’s an awesome Ozzy, and I think that’s the key.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2388 on: September 04, 2020, 07:58:39 AM »

Ozzy might not be a great singer, but he’s an awesome Ozzy, and I think that’s the key.

Wise words, man.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2389 on: September 05, 2020, 02:10:04 PM »
Those videos are fantastic.  :tup

They sure are. I hope he goes through everything. Not just the new vinyl.  Might take years, but we have time now.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2390 on: September 08, 2020, 10:41:48 PM »
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere here, but September 8 meant MP has officially been out of DT for 10 years already.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2391 on: September 09, 2020, 03:47:14 AM »
I was actually pleasantly surprised that the anniversary didn't turn into a discussion.  :tup

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2392 on: September 09, 2020, 08:25:02 AM »
I was actually pleasantly surprised that the anniversary didn't turn into a discussion.  :tup

Give it time, give it time... :)

Online HOF

« Reply #2393 on: September 09, 2020, 08:39:00 AM »
I can’t believe it’s been ten years since Mike left DT! When do you guys think they will ask him to rejoin the band?!?! Can we has nuggetz?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2394 on: September 09, 2020, 09:03:54 AM »
I can’t believe it’s been ten years since Mike left DT! When do you guys think they will ask him to rejoin the band?!?! Can we has nuggetz?

Fixed that for you.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2395 on: September 09, 2020, 09:08:36 AM »
The Prog Report had a whole podcast discussion about it, though I haven't seen it yet.

https://youtu.be/brkTw-EQSOI

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline emtee

« Reply #2396 on: September 09, 2020, 09:40:20 AM »
Kinda crazy that 10 years passed so quickly. Wow.

That was a kick in the gut day for many of us. It's all good now though.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2397 on: September 09, 2020, 10:00:27 AM »
Hard to believe he was part of 37 albums, live and in studio, in 10 years...and for most of them he's a hands on kind of guy, and not "just" plays on them. He has a say in the music direction, artwork, setlists, touring plans etc.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2398 on: September 10, 2020, 01:47:10 AM »

How to perfectly sum up very briefly something that has been discussed to death.

I was very sad about it, I really wished it wouldn't have to happen. But DT moved on, MP moved on and so eventually did I.

But yeah - IT'S ALREADY BEEN 10 YEARS? Someone stop the wheel of time!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2399 on: September 10, 2020, 02:19:32 AM »
I remember that day very well. I'd only been a DT fan for 2-3 years, so I was into full DT fanboy mode by then. What a gut punch to read his statement. It all worked out fine for both parties in the end.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2400 on: September 10, 2020, 03:59:25 AM »
My closest friend (whom I got into DT about 3 years prior) took it pretty hard. Me on the other hand, I was relieved about MP leaving and excited (and a bit apprehensive too) about what was to happen next. I was also relieved as can be about MM joining. So was my friend though. Couldn't have worked out better in retrospect.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2401 on: September 10, 2020, 07:30:52 AM »
I remember that day. I was at band practice when I looked on here and saw the thread.

Now I'm here still listening to Dream Theater, whole my drummer friend isn't as much because he liked the way Portnoy Drums.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2402 on: September 10, 2020, 12:27:47 PM »
That would be never.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2403 on: September 10, 2020, 03:23:01 PM »
I’m pretty sure that was the day I met Jackie (bout to crash) in real life. I told her about it.

So happy 10 years to Jackie and me being friends.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2404 on: September 11, 2020, 12:15:37 AM »
I’m pretty sure that was the day I met Jackie (bout to crash) in real life. I told her about it.

Is she still around/active on DTF? I haven't seen her in a while.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2405 on: September 11, 2020, 12:39:20 AM »

It only feels like a few years ago when Portnoy left. Damn mang. Herrick was 29 visiting his family in Oklahoma.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2406 on: September 11, 2020, 06:06:47 AM »
I had just moved to Erie for work. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2407 on: September 11, 2020, 06:31:38 AM »
I remember it pretty well. I remember moving into my first apartment after graduating college and opening a new laptop. Naturally the first place I go to is DTF to see the announcement.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2408 on: September 11, 2020, 07:21:56 AM »

Is she still around/active on DTF? I haven't seen her in a while.

Not too often. I’ll tell her you said hi.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2409 on: September 11, 2020, 07:22:47 AM »
Please do :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2410 on: September 12, 2020, 05:47:57 PM »
I was pretty shocked, but relieved when the other 4 did a reasonably solid job at reassuring the fans that it wouldn't mean the end of the band. It was the first time I'd experienced in real time a major band line-up change/split/departure of an artist I counted as one of my favorites.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2411 on: September 13, 2020, 06:15:14 AM »
I remember that day very well. I'd only been a DT fan for 2-3 years, so I was into full DT fanboy mode by then. What a gut punch to read his statement. It all worked out fine for both parties in the end.
Same. I actually stopped listening to Dream Theater until the beginning of 2012 (only went back in to check out ADTOE, which I didn't like, which cast me further into depression). Then I went back into hardcore fangirl mode and found you guys.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2412 on: September 13, 2020, 11:44:15 AM »
Same. I actually stopped listening to Dream Theater until the beginning of 2012 (only went back in to check out ADTOE, which I didn't like, which cast me further into depression). Then I went back into hardcore fangirl mode and found you guys.

Just curious, but what do you think about ADTOE now?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2413 on: September 14, 2020, 09:23:40 AM »
I was pretty shocked, but relieved when the other 4 did a reasonably solid job at reassuring the fans that it wouldn't mean the end of the band. It was the first time I'd experienced in real time a major band line-up change/split/departure of an artist I counted as one of my favorites.

Yea, it's weird how I can remember exactly where I was (a McDonalds in Midtown Manhatten eating before I started a night shift at a contract job I was working) and browsing DTF on my phone and seeing the news.  Immediately calling my friend and just the feeling of shock and sadness.  In the end, I'd say things worked out but in that moment I was really upset and definitely had some thoughts of it being the end of DT.  I can't recall that feeling of any other band because most of those big break ups had happened before I followed said bands or bands that had members break and whatnot were bands that I didn't love the same as I love DT.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2414 on: September 14, 2020, 09:36:05 AM »
I had just seen them twice on the BCSL tour - once in Australia and once in Brazil, and when I read the headline, my first reaction was "wow, these sites are going way too far with their clickbaits". Little did I know that 1) it was true and 2) clickbaiting would go to a new low every day since then...