Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313115 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2100 on: June 01, 2020, 02:01:38 PM »
Regarding Mike and DT, I do recall a moment in the tour documentary from The Neal Morse Band (I think for The Great AdvenTour), Mike was annoyed how an app on his phone kept recommending him the new DT album (d/t) for him to listen to.  :lol

I guess that would be like if Facebook kept recommending me to add an ex as a friend!

-Marc.
Oh, Lord, that's just glorious!  :rollin

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2101 on: June 01, 2020, 02:26:00 PM »
Anyone who thinks this will be closure for Mike Portnoy or think he should put any speculation to bed are missing the point. In my opinion, this is absolutely something which he would see as a way back into Dream Theater. I don’t think for one second he is happy playing in two-bit bands, playing in clubs to tiny audiences. He would go back to DT in a heartbeat and I bet he would see this as his way of rekindling the chemistry between the three of them and getting back into the band as Rudess did the first time around.  This is all just my opinion obviously, I have no inside knowledge but, if I was Mike Mangini, I would be very concerned about LTE reforming unless he’s happy to step aside of course.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2102 on: June 01, 2020, 04:19:13 PM »
He would go back to DT in a heartbeat and I bet he would see this as his way of rekindling the chemistry between the three of them and getting back into the band as Rudess did the first time around. 

*first sessions go great*
MP: "Hey, this was awesome! we really had a great chemistry, right guys? it was almost like when we played with Jordan and we asked him to join Dream Theater, isn't it? .....isn't it?"

JP and JR:

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2103 on: June 01, 2020, 04:24:38 PM »
He would go back to DT in a heartbeat and I bet he would see this as his way of rekindling the chemistry between the three of them and getting back into the band as Rudess did the first time around. 

*first sessions go great*
MP: "Hey, this was awesome! we really had a great chemistry, right guys? it was almost like when we played with Jordan and we asked him to join Dream Theater, isn't it? .....isn't it?"

JP and JR:

:rollin
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2104 on: June 01, 2020, 04:25:53 PM »
Hey Mike, when we first played with Jordan we were looking for a keyboard player. Notice the difference?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2105 on: June 01, 2020, 04:26:39 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2106 on: June 01, 2020, 05:23:37 PM »
"Hey guys, notice how great we sound without that Canadian singing?"

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2107 on: June 01, 2020, 06:00:20 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/138176086285038/posts/2460491417386815/?d=n
Live Q&A with Eloy Casagrande (Sepultura) and MP, this wednesday.

“Yes, this will happen!!! An historic live with the boss Mike Portnoy. Wednesday (9:15pm CET/12:15pm PST), on Sepultura’s Youtube page.“
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2108 on: June 02, 2020, 03:30:56 AM »
"Hey guys, notice how great we sound without that Canadian singing?"
Hey, leave Geddy out of this!  'Respect'   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2109 on: June 02, 2020, 04:25:37 AM »
In my opinion, this is absolutely something which he would see as a way back into Dream Theater.
In my opinion it's not, what are we gonna do about that  :coolio

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #2110 on: June 02, 2020, 12:13:28 PM »
Exactly. Why be cynical about this?

I just view it as the three of them wanting to play together again.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #2111 on: June 02, 2020, 02:08:34 PM »
Exactly. Why be cynical about this?

I just view it as the three of them wanting to play together again.

Agree. We're talking about three guys in their fifties who don't have anything to explain to anyone if they just want to play some shows and/or record a new album. They will be able to deal with any rumours and so will Mangini.

Any talk about MP returning to DT is a waste of time. If it happens if happens and as things are today the chances seem to be close to zero as, much as I would love it personally.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2112 on: June 02, 2020, 04:30:45 PM »
Sorry if I am being misunderstood, I am not trying to be cynical. I’m sure Portnoy can’t wait to play with Rudess and Petrucci again irrespective of whether it leads to anything else. I also think however that he would entertain the hope that working with them again may open the door to a more permanent reunion with the band he had a big hand in building.  Do people really think he wouldn’t jump at the chance to come back if they asked him to?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2113 on: June 02, 2020, 04:58:42 PM »
I would guess the answer is "probably."  But the problem with that hypothetical is that "if they asked him" has odds of "slim to none" right now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2114 on: June 02, 2020, 05:08:29 PM »
I would guess the answer is "probably."  But the problem with that hypothetical is that "if they asked him" has odds of "next to none" right now.

FTFY. ;D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2115 on: June 02, 2020, 05:09:40 PM »
Do people really think he wouldn’t jump at the chance to come back if they asked him to?
While I don't have any inside information, I would imagine that the conditions would have to be right before he would consider coming back, both with regards to how much control he would have in the band and how it would affect all the other bands/projects that he's involved in. He could be interested, but I could easily see him passing on the opportunity if the terms weren't sweet enough for him. And that's assuming he was even offered the chance. Right now, that doesn't seem likely.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2116 on: June 02, 2020, 06:19:33 PM »
Right now it doesn’t seem likely but, following a successful, enjoyable LTE reunion, that likelihood would increase as would the clamour from fans.  I agree though that there would have to be some conversations all round as to how it would work in practice before any agreement was made. He may have to accept that he would not have the level of control he once had. There would also need to be some kind of reconciliation with LaBrie and possibly even Myung.

It’s all hypothetical of course and, if I was a betting man, I would probably say they stick with Mangini but I wouldn’t be all that confident. If I was Mangini, I would certainly be sitting a little less comfortably if it goes ahead.

My point really though was that he is not about to put out a press release quashing any speculation that he will one day return to Dream Theater when he would likely very much want to return. Nor would he see an LTE reunion as a way to close that chapter, more as a possible opportunity to re-open it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2117 on: June 02, 2020, 06:23:54 PM »
Right now it doesn’t seem likely but, following a successful, enjoyable LTE reunion, that likelihood would increase as would the clamour from fans.  I agree though that there would have to be some conversations all round as to how it would work in practice before any agreement was made. He may have to accept that he would not have the level of control he once had. There would also need to be some kind of reconciliation with LaBrie and possibly even Myung.

It’s all hypothetical of course and, if I was a betting man, I would probably say they stick with Mangini but I wouldn’t be all that confident. If I was Mangini, I would certainly be sitting a little less comfortably if it goes ahead.

My point really though was that he is not about to put out a press release quashing any speculation that he will one day return to Dream Theater when he would likely very much want to return. Nor would he see an LTE reunion as a way to close that chapter, more as a possible opportunity to re-open it.

No.

Everyone gets along with everyone. Click tracks. Extremely focused live production. Static setlists. One front man. Backing tracks. A drummer who doesn't piss everyone off in the studio. That's what DT would give up (that they seem to really enjoy).

Nothing but a few happy fans for a little bit and similar crowd sizes. That's what DT would gain.

It ain't gonna happen dude.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2118 on: June 02, 2020, 06:30:38 PM »
I think the most obvious roadblock is JLB. I truly don't see him and MP ever working together again. Pretty sure they wouldn't disrespect JLB like that. It would be a slap in the face and I could see him threatening to walk if he had to work with MP again. Those egos just won't mesh.

LTE is the closest MP will get to DT. I would very much be looking forward to more LTE.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2119 on: June 02, 2020, 06:38:17 PM »
The way Adami is talking, it’s like they were all desperately unhappy and couldn’t wait for Portnoy to leave.  They seemed pretty devastated at the time when he left, as was I.

We’ll have to wait and see, it’s all just fun speculation and I am not too concerned either way, I enjoy all the post Portnoy material more than a lot of the stuff on the later albums with Portnoy. On the other hand it would excite me a little to see an original member return and them going back to arguably their classic lineup.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2120 on: June 02, 2020, 07:07:56 PM »
I doubt Petrucci and Rudess (in particular) were happy to see him go at the time, but I am sure there are elements of him that they didn't really think they wouldn't miss until suddenly they were gone.  Plus, being friends with someone and being able to work closely with them again on a regular basis are two very different things.  I used to work with a close family member, and while our relationship within the family is still strong, I can't imagine ever working with him again 30-40 hours a week.  There are elements of his personality that would be too much to take on a full time basis again (and it is possible he would say the same about me :lol ). 

Online Adami

« Reply #2121 on: June 02, 2020, 07:29:38 PM »
The way Adami is talking, it’s like they were all desperately unhappy and couldn’t wait for Portnoy to leave.  They seemed pretty devastated at the time when he left, as was I.

I hinted at nothing of the sort.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2122 on: June 02, 2020, 10:31:23 PM »
There would also need to be some kind of reconciliation with LaBrie and possibly even Myung.
LaBrie, yes. But just for the record, he's already patched things up with JMX. He posted on Facebook that he spent New Years Eve or New Years with JMX.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2123 on: June 02, 2020, 10:44:22 PM »
I am not speaking with any inside knowledge, but I would not make the leap that "patched things up" means "wants to commit to playing together full time." It could be, but I would imagine it more being "Hey, glad we are friends again, let's grab some chow sometime!"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2124 on: June 03, 2020, 01:09:24 AM »
I doubt Petrucci and Rudess (in particular) were happy to see him go at the time, but I am sure there are elements of him that they didn't really think they wouldn't miss until suddenly they were gone.

This.

I am not speaking with any inside knowledge, but I would not make the leap that "patched things up" means "wants to commit to playing together full time." It could be, but I would imagine it more being "Hey, glad we are friends again, let's grab some chow sometime!"

And also this.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2125 on: June 03, 2020, 03:47:35 AM »
No one is perfect and I am sure there are elements of Mike’s behaviour that they do not miss, some things that maybe they didn’t even realise they didn’t have to put up with until they worked with someone else. There may be other elements though that they do miss such as his relentless promotion of the band, his way of keeping fans connected with the band, his organisation of live albums/dvds to name a few.

As I said, I don’t believe anyone was desperately looking for Mike to quit the band when he did, they were all looking to continue as they were. It was Mike that wanted a break from them, not the other way around. I’m sure James has enjoyed not having Mike’s criticism and I’m sure JMX has enjoyed returning to the writing fold so perhaps they would have some reluctance but nothing that could not be resolved.  It would also be disappointing for Mangini but I get the impression that he’s not the type who’d begrudge them getting their original drummer back.  I don’t think there’d be any hard feelings.

There’s pluses and minuses in doing it and they’d all have to weigh those up but my point was simply that the reforming of LTE could (and I stress could) be the first step towards a DT reunion.  If I’m a betting man I would just about say no but the LTE thing certainly shortens the odds in my opinion.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2126 on: June 03, 2020, 08:42:37 AM »
...but the LTE thing certainly shortens the odds in my opinion.

You keep saying that, but there is no connection whatsoever between LTE and any factors that would lead to MP coming back to DT.  I don't know why you are making that leap.  I don't see how LTE moves the needle at all on MP somehow returning. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #2127 on: June 03, 2020, 08:47:20 AM »

You keep saying that, but there is no connection whatsoever between LTE and any factors that would lead to MP coming back to DT.  I don't know why you are making that leap.  I don't see how LTE moves the needle at all on MP somehow returning.

Usually when someone largely ignores all points being made and focuses on their own personal wishes and hopes and looking for things to justify them, it's not going to get you very far to approach it logically.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2128 on: June 03, 2020, 09:05:51 AM »

I understand what you're saying and I'm not arguing with you (even if you don't have inside info, you're generally more in tune than I am with this kind of stuff),  but it is fair to point out that there ARE times when circumstances like this DID lead to a reunion.  The Kiss Unplugged.   If memory serves, Perry and Whitford returning to Aerosmith.  Squeeze, in a way.   

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2129 on: June 03, 2020, 09:08:57 AM »

Well, last time two members of DT played in LTE, they realized they liked another member so much, that they wanted to work with him in DT. While I personally think that JP is completely happy with DT the way it is now, I can't really fault some people for thinking that MAYBE a good and producting creative experience of JP and JR with MP would make them think "Oh my, I missed this so bad, I couldn't remember how much fun it was and how 'right' the whole thing seems". Not that this would of course translate into a reunion, just like an awesome night out with some buddies from your previous work doesn't mean you'd want to go back to your previous work because you're happy with the one you have now.

I personally think DT won't have anymore lineup changes (unless someone wants to retire from old age 10-15 years from now), but if JP and JR will even entertain someday, somehow the idea of a reunion with MP, surely a good and nice experience with LT3 won't hurt those thoughts.

I mean, there's no way that someday MP will rejoin DT with LT3 having sucked as a personal and creative experience. Does a good and nice LT3 brings MP back into DT? I really don't think so, but at least it will be a good experience for them. Does a reunion with MP happen with the LT3 experience being a complete disaster? no way in hell.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2130 on: June 03, 2020, 09:44:26 AM »

Usually when someone largely ignores all points being made and focuses on their own personal wishes and hopes and looking for things to justify them, it's not going to get you very far to approach it logically.

I’m not ignoring anyone’s points, I have addressed them and I have already pointed out that I am not bothered either way, I enjoy DT with or without Portnoy.

Is it THAT big a leap though to say that when these 3 people, who are close friends and worked together in DT for 20 years (In the case of JP), get in a room and begin making music together again, it makes a reunion somewhat more likely than if those 3 people did not reconnect in that way. I’m not saying it’s definitely going to happen, there’s many reasons why it might not as people have already raised.  I’m just saying, from the outside looking in, it increases the chances of it happening, assuming it goes well obviously.

As another example (and let’s assume for the sake of argument he could still sing the songs) if Neal Schon announced that him and Steve Perry were getting together to make an album called the Schon/Perry Project. Would no one here  go “oooooooooh, that’s interesting, I wonder if.....” and that’s a far more acrimonious split than DT.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2131 on: June 03, 2020, 09:45:03 AM »
And here we go AGAIN....

:corn
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2132 on: June 03, 2020, 09:52:42 AM »

I’m not ignoring anyone’s points, I have addressed them and I have already pointed out that I am not bothered either way, I enjoy DT with or without Portnoy.

Is it THAT big a leap though to say that when these 3 people, who are close friends and worked together in DT for 20 years (In the case of JP), get in a room and begin making music together again, it makes a reunion somewhat more likely than if those 3 people did not reconnect in that way. I’m not saying it’s definitely going to happen, there’s many reasons why it might not as people have already raised.  I’m just saying, from the outside looking in, it increases the chances of it happening, assuming it goes well obviously.

As another example (and let’s assume for the sake of argument he could still sing the songs) if Neal Schon announced that him and Steve Perry were getting together to make an album called the Schon/Perry Project. Would no one here  go “oooooooooh, that’s interesting, I wonder if.....” and that’s a far more acrimonious split than DT.

Yes, it does increase the chance for a reunion to happen. But that chance is very very low. So why bother bringing it up, if we all know the chance isn't that high.

I'm happy, JP, JR, MP, and TL are jamming and making music again.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2133 on: June 03, 2020, 10:11:33 AM »
Is it THAT big a leap though to say that when these 3 people, who are close friends and worked together in DT for 20 years (In the case of JP), get in a room and begin making music together again, it makes a reunion somewhat more likely than if those 3 people did not reconnect in that way.

Is THAT a big stretch?  That it is "somewhat" more likely than if it didn't happen?  No.  But "Mangini should be very concerned about this" (which is what you said) is a HUGE stretch.

I get what you are saying, but that analogy (like the ones Stadler cited) isn't really a close one if you dig a bit beneath the surface.  In Journey, we don't know whether there is any sort of dissastisfaction between any of the members and Arnel.  There could be.  By contrast, in DT, we KNOW that the other 4 existing members are HIGHLY satisfied with Mangini.  Second, Journey is a pretty dysfunctional band right now, and has been for a very long time, both with and without Perry.  We have seen kind of a history of "anything goes" at any given moment.  DT, on the other hand, is pretty stable.  Third, if Schon wanted Perry, he is a strong enough personality, and now has enough control of the band that it would likely happen.  In DT, there really doesn't appear to be any particular member who has that much control.  I mean, if JP REALLY felt strongly about something, he is a strong enough personality that he would push hard enough to make it happen.  But from everything I have seen of him, he would not do that at the expense of disagreeing so strongly with the rest of his bandmates unless he really felt the future of the band was at stake.  Finally, Journey has a history of unceremoniously ousting members they have decided they no longer wanted.  You can make a case that DT did similar things with Charlie and Derek.  I would make a case that both of DT's situations were different.  But that said, I wouldn't disagree too strongly with anyone arguing against this last point on that basis.  If this were the ONLY point, it would be pretty weak.  But coupled with the other 3, it carries more weight.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2134 on: June 03, 2020, 10:19:00 AM »
The only way I can see MP returning to DT full time (outside of a one-off show or some sort of guest appearance on an album maybe) is if Mangini leaves on his own. I’d be shocked if reforming LTE lead to anything more than speculation about MP replacing MM. But could it lead to John and Jordan convincing the other guys to do a reunion show or have him guest on some sort of special track (say a re-issue of an earlier album with bonus tracks)? I guess I could see that.