Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 316220 times)

Online HOF

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #1925 on: May 09, 2020, 03:54:00 PM »
Indeed fretless. Called it.

He kept it to a minimum, but it worked.

His daughter has a surprisingly lovely voice!

Melody went to school for theater/vocal performance and had a gig in a show at one point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1926 on: May 10, 2020, 08:17:09 AM »
Since pop can now play a little bass guitar and electric guitar, I would imagine it is only a matter of time before we get a Portnoy tour featuring his daughter on lead vocals, his son on drums, and himself doing a little bit of everything, and with probably another musician or two in the mix to fill out the band.  Would give him a chance to play stuff from all 481 of his bands/projects.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1927 on: May 10, 2020, 08:25:38 AM »
Since pop can now play a little bass guitar and electric guitar, I would imagine it is only a matter of time before we get a Portnoy tour featuring his daughter on lead vocals, his son on drums, and himself doing a little bit of everything, and with probably another musician or two in the mix to fill out the band.  Would give him a chance to play stuff from all 481 of his bands/projects.

How could you forget Marlene, who played guitar in the all-female band Meanstreak? The whole Portnoy family is musically inclined! They could easily tour as a single band together with Marlene on guitar, Mike on bass, Max on drums, and Melody on vocals.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #1928 on: May 10, 2020, 10:25:09 AM »

How could you forget Marlene, who played guitar in the all-female band Meanstreak? The whole Portnoy family is musically inclined! They could easily tour as a single band together with Marlene on guitar, Mike on bass, Max on drums, and Melody on vocals.

-Marc.

The Portnoy Family (instead of Partridge, get it?).

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1929 on: May 10, 2020, 12:15:59 PM »
Didn't really care for Mikes thing. His daughters singing I did appreciate a lot.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1930 on: May 12, 2020, 01:57:37 PM »
Anyone see MP's performance on the show put together by The Prog Report just now? I think there was some discussion in this thread but it sure looked like he was playing a fretless bass in this performance. Have to say, really enjoyed his performance. He's much more of an all-round musician than I realised.

That was one of my favorite performances. I love that.  He needs to get his daughter involved in one of his projects. Mike is at his best when he does stuff like that.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1931 on: May 12, 2020, 03:50:09 PM »
Yes that cover was a joy to watch, the Ramones one he did earlier too was a lot of fun.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1932 on: May 13, 2020, 12:01:14 PM »
That keyboard player in the video has a striking resemblance to JLB at certain angles. I can't un-see it now.
 Great job on the song, MP's daughter sings quite well.  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1933 on: May 13, 2020, 12:02:42 PM »
Roger Manning, Jr., from Jellyfish, the band that originally did that song (though it's written by Andy Sturmer, Manning's sometimes estranged writing partner).

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1934 on: May 13, 2020, 12:07:43 PM »
That's awesome!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1935 on: May 13, 2020, 12:42:29 PM »
I understand that I wanna stay home is a perfect song to cover during the pandemic, but it's always been one of my least favorite songs on Bellybutton. Still nice to see someone cover Jellyfish and give them more exposure.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1936 on: May 13, 2020, 12:46:58 PM »
I understand that I wanna stay home is a perfect song to cover during the pandemic, but it's always been one of my least favorite songs on Bellybutton. Still nice to see someone cover Jellyfish and give them more exposure.

I've really gotten into them lately.  I'm a big fan. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1937 on: May 13, 2020, 12:47:13 PM »
He needs to get his daughter involved in one of his projects.

That would not fit with his standard operating procedure. She isn't an aging, past-their-prime legacy act living off work they did 20+ years ago.   :D
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1938 on: May 13, 2020, 12:48:09 PM »
He needs to get his daughter involved in one of his projects.

That would not fit with his standard operating procedure. She isn't an aging, past-their-prime legacy act living off work they did 20+ years ago.   :D

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #1939 on: May 13, 2020, 12:55:04 PM »

I thought MP's cover was ok. Everything was good except him singing the verses an octave lower than Andy did. Thought Melody was excellent and a cutie pie to boot! Not sure how much exposure Jellyfish will get from the at home concert, they are well respected in the rock community but any bit can't hurt. It's a shame nobody can convince Andy Sturmer to come back to popular music.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1940 on: May 13, 2020, 12:57:24 PM »

I've really gotten into them lately.  I'm a big fan.

I finally got around to hearing them a few months ago, thanks to my younger brother who sent me Bellybutton.  Very cool album, with catchy, fun melodies all over the place. I still need to get the second album.

Online HOF

« Reply #1941 on: May 13, 2020, 01:02:07 PM »
I’ve tried several times to get into Jellyfish via steaming, but I’ve always gotten my attention pulled away to something else. I like the sound of them though. Probably need to invest in an actual CD to make myself give it a full listen.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1942 on: May 14, 2020, 03:55:04 AM »
Anyone that is into the Flying Colors debut should give a listen to Jellyfish. The solo in Calling Sarah reminds me of Love is what I'm waiting for. It could be a Queen influence rather than Jellyfish, though. I don't know if Neal is as big of a fan as Mike is.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1943 on: May 14, 2020, 07:10:22 AM »
I love Jellyfish and Bellybutton is great but...Spilt Milk is one of my favorite albums ever!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1944 on: May 14, 2020, 08:52:20 AM »
It's not for me to suggest what some should like or not, but I know for me, I heard all these references to them (not just from Mike) and decided to give them a try on... I forget, YooToobs or Spotify or something.   And I was like "wha?", I didn't get it.  Cute song, but anyone could do this in their basement.   Then I somehow got a copy of Bellybutton - the version with the bonus live tracks - in an auction on eBay for like $0.50 and free shipping with a couple other CDs and figured, WTF.   Long story short, being a huge McCartney/Beatles fan, the run of ""Let 'Em In/That Is Why" (Live), "The King Is Half Undressed" (Live) and "Jet" (Live) just won me over.  Then I got the remastered expanded releases of Bellybutton and Spilt Milk, and got to hear the demo versions of all those songs (some VERY different) and it just really clicked with me.  I got it.   Now, while they are both very different records, I find myself gravitating to them a lot.   

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1945 on: May 16, 2020, 08:57:41 AM »
I love Jellyfish and Bellybutton is great but...Spilt Milk is one of my favorite albums ever!

Just have those two original CDs and Faulker's Author Unknown which I also like. Haven't gotten around to the Jellyfish reissues yet.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1946 on: May 16, 2020, 09:01:28 AM »
Yes that cover was a joy to watch, the Ramones one he did earlier too was a lot of fun.

I hope there's more like those in the pipeline.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1947 on: May 16, 2020, 03:22:47 PM »
Mike reposted the MA We Rock video in honor of Dio.

I can’t believe this one slipped by me somehow. I almost thought it was new. I also have to say that I’m more often lukewarm on MP’s covers than not, but I thought this cover in particular was EXCELLENT. Maybe it was just the energy. Everyone in the video just felt like they were really into it and not just throwing their hat in the ring.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1948 on: May 16, 2020, 03:58:10 PM »
Yea. The We Rock thing was fantastic. Was hoping Metal Allegiance was like that. Sadly not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1949 on: May 16, 2020, 05:32:57 PM »
I just received my promo copy of BPMD for my review. Will take it for a spin on my night run now.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: May 17, 2020, 02:22:30 PM »
Is BPMD the least memorable band never ever? ELP runs together to at least make a sound if you had a hard time remembering E-L-P. UFO has an alternate meaning most people are aware of. ACDC runs off the tongue nicely and AC and DC have meanings. ABBA can be said as a word and has symmetry. BPMD is just awkward.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

« Reply #1951 on: May 17, 2020, 02:26:29 PM »
Don’t forget PSMS or whatever it was called.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1952 on: May 17, 2020, 02:32:34 PM »
Don’t forget PSMS

I totally did. That just proves my point!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1953 on: May 17, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »
Is BPMD the least memorable band never ever? ELP runs together to at least make a sound if you had a hard time remembering E-L-P. UFO has an alternate meaning most people are aware of. ACDC runs off the tongue nicely and AC and DC have meanings. ABBA can be said as a word and has symmetry. BPMD is just awkward.
I guess it is, but: IIRC, Mike is a fan of rap music (Beastie Boys and the like) and I'm sure he knows about a rap band called EPMD. That might have been his tongue in cheek reference there. (or not, what do I know)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1954 on: May 17, 2020, 04:50:48 PM »
I think in both cases - PSMS and BPMD - the intention is that these are one-off deals, and not permanent entities. PSMS was just a tour that stemmed from a one-off show, and BPMD is just the four guys killing time and putting something else on the market, with no intention of a follow up album or a tour. So why bother creating an amazing band name when it could be saved for something more substantial?

Online Adami

« Reply #1955 on: May 17, 2020, 05:01:02 PM »
I think in both cases - PSMS and BPMD - the intention is that these are one-off deals, and not permanent entities. PSMS was just a tour that stemmed from a one-off show, and BPMD is just the four guys killing time and putting something else on the market, with no intention of a follow up album or a tour. So why bother creating an amazing band name when it could be saved for something more substantial?

Great isn’t necessary. But good is. These are terrible names. Music might be amazing, but you need a name that at the very least is memorable. Those really aren’t at all. I had to google the PMS one cause I already forgot it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 05:12:30 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1956 on: May 17, 2020, 05:37:47 PM »

I would ask why bother creating a band just for a one off thing instead of doing something more substantial? :corn
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1957 on: May 17, 2020, 06:02:47 PM »

I would ask why bother creating a band just for a one off thing instead of doing something more substantial? :corn

Because that's what they wanted out of both scenarios. Some endeavours are meant to be one-offs.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1958 on: May 18, 2020, 08:46:19 AM »
HSAS.   Hagar, Schon, Aaronson, Shrieve.  It is what it is.   For me, that's pretty low on the list of things to complain about re: Mike's 86 bands. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1959 on: May 18, 2020, 08:48:20 AM »
Anyone know the origin of those shirts that are stylized like

name
&
name
&
name
&
name?

I see Mike wearing those shirts a lot and I want to say it originates from a band (probably someone super popular that I should be ashamed of not knowing - Crosby/Stills/Nash/Young maybe)? I feel like that sort of thing might play a role in these PSMS, BPMD, ADHD, PTSD bands, maybe he just likes that sort of thing, a few names doing stuff as a one-off
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"