Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 316204 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #1890 on: May 05, 2020, 02:03:49 PM »
It used to be a thing for Dream Theater albums.  I don't remember it ever really being much of a thing for side projects.

They seem to have become his side projects.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1891 on: May 05, 2020, 02:09:01 PM »
The Nuggetz are back again...

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1892 on: May 05, 2020, 05:39:59 PM »
His interest seems to be just putting out product.

That’s how it appears to me as well.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1893 on: May 05, 2020, 05:45:32 PM »
Neat! I've been hoping Portnoy would do a covers album for a while now

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1894 on: May 05, 2020, 06:52:03 PM »

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1895 on: May 05, 2020, 10:51:39 PM »
In partial defense to Portnoy, I don’t really know what the right move for him is at this point.

Winery Dogs was a surprise modest success but that dwindled. Sons of Apollo was DOA, he’s done Neal Morse projects to death, if he starts another group everyone will say “ugh, ANOTHER group?!”.

Seems like the only way he can win is if he gets LTE going again (and I’m assuming it’s the DT guys that would drag their feet on that).

Offline 425

« Reply #1896 on: May 05, 2020, 11:49:15 PM »
This is just me, but the move I would be most interested in is if he started one band and dedicated a significant amount of time to that one band, focusing on quality musicianship and songwriting instead of on names and nostalgia.

This may sound harsh, but my perception of the projects he's been doing is that every year or so, he gets a new idea for a band. This band usually consists entirely of friends of his and/or semi-famous musicians from bands that were big in the 80s. The band is usually billed as "this sounds like [style of music that was big in the 70s or 80s]." If it's not just a cover band, the band writes an album in a really tight time frame (because Mike has eight other bands to schedule), and usually the haste is apparent in the songwriting. Then there's a tour crammed in between three other tours Mike has scheduled, where half the setlist is covers from bands that this new band was clearly intended to sound like, topped off with with Blu-Ray release. Then the band goes on the back burner while Mike cycles on to a different project.

I think that these projects do not last primarily because not much time and care is put into them. As many have pointed out, Mike has this thing about sitting down to write and record an album in two weeks or something. That might be something you can pull off if your primary songwriter is Neal Morse, or someone similarly prolific, but most of the time doing that seems to cause the songwriting quality to suffer (it probably suffers some even when Neal rushes it, compared to projects where he takes more time). If there wasn't this pressure to pump out an album in the shortest interval possible because of eight other projects waiting, maybe the songs would be better.

And another thing that might make the songs better is if the members of the band were selected specifically because of their musicianship and songwriting ability. Not to put down the musicianship of anyone in particular that Mike works with, but to me it seems very likely that these people are not being selected on that basis, but on the basis of "oh, this guy was in that one band." Maybe this is just because Mike likes working with guys who were in bands he likes, or maybe it's because he or someone thinks a project is more marketable when it has some big names, but to me it is very clear from the promotions (Mike's and the labels') that we are meant to care more about who the band members are than whether the songs are good.

The thing is, I sort of get the motivation behind that—there's an argument that it's easier to sell a known quantity than a newcomer—but I think it misunderstands how music works in 2020, particularly in genres that tend to draw more serious listeners, like prog. A name helps to get listeners to your music in the first place, but, in an age where anyone can sample anything on Spotify (where only pennies go to the artist), what gets them to actually buy albums and concert tickets is the quality of the music. Mike Portnoy is a big enough name in prog metal to where he doesn't need four other semi-famous guys to get people to try a new song. But what is going to get people to do anything more than just try an album on Spotify is the album being good. And not just the "well, it's decent" sort of good that seems to be the typical DTF review of the two SOA albums, but actually, convincingly, good. Good enough to stand out among the Hakens and the Leprouses and the Caligula's Horses.

It's not like Mike is incapable of playing on an album that good. I'd say the last two Neal Morse Band albums have been very, very good. But I think making that sort of album requires time and dedication to songwriting in the sense of driving at writing good songs, not driving at writing songs that remind people of 1987. And the way to get to good songwriting, especially when one is a drummer (and thus probably not writing a lot of riffs and melodies) is to select good songwriters in the sense of driving at selecting good songwriters, not driving at selecting songwriters who were famous in 1987. Honestly, look at Neal Morse (even those who don't like his music; this is just a good example of how to do things right). He brought in two guys (Eric Gillette and Bill Hubauer) who were pretty much complete unknowns, because he thought that they could elevate the songwriting and musicianship of his band. And it paid off in the form of his most highly acclaimed "solo" album in years (The Similitude of a Dream), which seems to have brought back listeners who thought his approach was getting stale and brought new listeners in. Because he brought in talented people, took the time, and the songs were good. Mike isn't as much of a songwriter as Neal, but there's no reason he couldn't do that for a metal project (which seems to be the niche he's struggling to fill). Drop a lot of the minor projects, keep NMB and FC (and TA as an occasional thing), and seriously look for who are the real talents in metal who have time to invest in a new project, without regard for how famous they are. Then dedicate some serious time to writing a good album and... people will come. They've come for a lot of other bands that didn't have the advantage of the Portnoy brand to help cut the line. Just so long as the music is good.

As others have said, maybe he's just happier doing what he's doing, putting out middling nostalgia albums with people he likes. And that's fine if he wants to keep doing that. But I think there's a clear blueprint for what to do if you want to succeed in today's metal/prog metal world and sustain people's interest and excitement, and the place that he's in right now where he starts a dozen projects, few of which enjoy much critical success or popularity and most of which flame out within a few years, is a place that he's more or less choosing to stay by pointedly not following that blueprint.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:58:23 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #1897 on: May 06, 2020, 04:36:04 AM »
This is just me, but the move I would be most interested in is ...

Very good post!
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1898 on: May 06, 2020, 05:56:23 AM »
Great post 425. I think sitting down and taking the time to write an album can be beneficial for MP. I remember he mentioned somewhere that DT wrote quickly too but the DT had the added benefit of being a band for much longer than most of MP's side projects. I don't think being in one band is what MP is going for these days. He seems really happy churning stuff with handful of the same guys.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1899 on: May 06, 2020, 07:00:32 AM »
Great post. I agree with everything. The whole "2 weeks of writing/record/tour/live album" cycle is getting SO old and tiresome. A well-developed album with unknown musicians is really what I'd love to see him attempt, but I get the feeling he just doesn't want to be out of the spotlight for too long so he does projects that are relatively sure to get him a guest spot at NAMM or at least a semi-well-attended tour. I'm sure there's local musicians in Eastern PA that have tons of talent/creativity where they could jam locally and create something extraordinary for the first time in years. But honestly, he's probably just too old and comfortable to rock his boat.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1900 on: May 06, 2020, 07:04:49 AM »
I'm sure there's local musicians in Eastern PA that have tons of talent/creativity where they could jam locally and create something extraordinary for the first time in years. But honestly, he's probably just too old and comfortable to rock his boat.

Sorry, no matter how many times he asks I've told him I refuse to be a guest drummer on this album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online HOF

« Reply #1901 on: May 06, 2020, 07:57:50 AM »
There’s a lot I agree with in 425’s post, but I’m not sure it’s fair to say MP is only interested in playing with guys who are big name musicians (or were in the 80s). He’s frequently had relative unknowns join his projects, dating back to LTE even with Jordan Rudess, but Morse, Stolt, and Treweves were also not really household names when he started TA. He also played with Big Elf as sort of an up and coming act. More recently, he pushed for Casey McPherson to join FC (over the better known Ted Leonard), and as you pointed out the NMB features Eric Gillette and Bill Hubauer. I also think adding Richie Kotzen, who was a bit of a name but not really a big name, was brilliant when John Sykes bailed on the original project with MP and BS. I don’t think Kotzen was really somebody Mike knew about before that, so he’s open to working with people who aren’t his buds or heroes.

But there definitely is an aspect of Mike just wanting to play with his friends or the musicians he really admires that directs a lot of his projects moreso than actual creative vision. Personally, I think Flying Colors and The Winery Dogs both have strong songwriters and more of a cohesive band element that make them good candidates to be MP’s main vehicle. Unfortunately both bands’ guitarists aren’t primarily committed to those acts.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1902 on: May 06, 2020, 08:03:17 AM »
IMHO, Peter Trewavas was a household name even 20 years ago when SMPTE came out (keep in mind that Marillion were on duty for 21 years already at that point, 41 years to date), Neal and Roine probably were not. (or not as much as MP and Peter Trewavas anyway)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online HOF

« Reply #1903 on: May 06, 2020, 08:07:31 AM »
IMHO, Peter Trewavas was a household name even 20 years ago when SMPTE came out (keep in mind that Marillion were on duty for 21 years already at that point, 41 years to date), Neal and Roine probably were not. (or not as much as MP and Peter Trewavas anyway)

I suppose in prog circles he probably was, but it was the first time I had heard of him (even though I’d heard of Marillion at that point). Still, I don’t think Pete was chosen specifically to sell records or anything like that. Marillion were pretty down and out at that point in their career.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1904 on: May 06, 2020, 08:21:27 AM »

I suppose in prog circles he probably was, but it was the first time I had heard of him (even though I’d heard of Marillion at that point). Still, I don’t think Pete was chosen specifically to sell records or anything like that. Marillion were pretty down and out at that point in their career.

I'm with HOF.  I'm a HUGE Marillion fan, so I knew who he was, but I don't get the impression that people outside of Marillion fans knew who he was.   

I agree with most of 425's post, but I think some of what is being asked for was INTENDED to be SOA.  Whether it gets executed the right way or not isn't the same thing.  I don't have any quibble with the two weeks; some of my favorite albums were done in HOURS, let along weeks, and at this point you have to assume that two weeks is "together time" and that each member has pieces, bits and bobs that can be fit into the puzzle.   I think for me, and I've said this before, is the problem is the niche aspect.   Dream Theater was new; it wasn't metal (in the sense of Maiden), it wasn't "prog" (in the sense of Yes), it wasn't AOR (in the sense of Journey), it was a happy amalgam of all those things.   There were no limits.   Now, it seems like his projects are all genre and niche focused.  "Here's my trad prog offering"; "here's my metal offering"; "here's my neo-prog offering"; "here's my 70's rock offering".    And I'd rather hear the natural expression of ALL those influences in one place, like DT was.  I don't want to have to put on this record for this, and that record for that, because then I have to put up with great (sometimes) music, but Jeff screaming on top, when it would be cool to see what, for example, Casey could do with that.    Or I don't want to have to put up with great (occassionally) music, but have it be just Ritchie's guitar, when it would be cool to see what, for example, Jordan Rudess could do with that.   And on down the line. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1905 on: May 06, 2020, 09:45:41 AM »

None of these guys are or ever were "household names."  Not even close.  I can guarantee that, if I asked 100 random strangers, fewer than 5 would have heard of Pete Trewavas, and maybe 20 would even have heard of Marillion.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1906 on: May 06, 2020, 10:43:13 AM »
There's no way 1/5th of a 'random stranger' pool would have heard of Marillion.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online HOF

« Reply #1907 on: May 06, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »

Yeah, I bet it would be more like 1 in 1,000 in the US, and maybe not even that high.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1908 on: May 06, 2020, 10:49:25 AM »
I don't have any quibble with the two weeks; some of my favorite albums were done in HOURS, let along weeks, and at this point you have to assume that two weeks is "together time" and that each member has pieces, bits and bobs that can be fit into the puzzle.

Exactly.  I can think of lots of bands where I can nitpick certain parts of songs and say to myself, "This could be a better song if they had reworked this section this way, or cut this out, or extended this," or whatever little "edits" I personally happen to think up.  But that doesn't mean the band didn't spend enough time.  It just means that I subjectively thought of something that would have made it more pleading to me.  I don't think I have ever felt that an album just needed more time and felt underbaked.  To me, that assumes WAY too much.

And as you also pointed out, the whole "we wrote this in 2 weeks!" phenomenon is a bit misleading anyway.  As you said, what Mike typically means by that is that that is together time.  Who knows how much additional writing took place pre- and post-.  How many complete or near-complete songs were written beforehand that were brought in?  Who knows how much collaboration and reworking between members took place via file sharing before and after?  Etc. 

That said, I think a lot of 425's post was very well taken.  And I largely do not disagree.  I do agree that Mike needs to realize that, for any project to take off, he needs to focus on bringing good songwriters into the fold.  And maybe he hasn't quite hit home runs in that area in a lot of his projects.  But truth be told, how many bands that have had decent success don't have a whole lot of heavy hitters, and made it for other reasons, or made it because of outside songwriters?  I dunno.  For me, I think the songwriting is fine in the major projects.  It either works for my tastes or it doesn't, and that's fine.

Speaking of which, I think I'll enjoy the heck out of some SOA now...   :biggrin:  :heart
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1909 on: May 06, 2020, 11:40:11 AM »

Yeah, I bet it would be more like 1 in 1,000 in the US, and maybe not even that high.

Well...I was being generous in my prior post, but the point was that even the band isn't (and probably never was) a household name, much less one of the band members.  Heck, even Mike Portnoy isn't a household name.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1910 on: May 06, 2020, 11:49:35 AM »
I barely get recognition of the name of the band when I talk about "Kayleigh", which here was a moderately big hit.  In fact, right before COVID-19, I was in Atlanta having dinner at a restaurant that used to be my local Italian place when I lived there.  I had been there before and knew a couple of the people at the bar and we were talking about music and stuff.   At one point the bartender hollered at one of the waitresses "Kayleigh!" (well, I know now that it's Kaylee).  Later I asked the server how old her parents were, and after she called security and the bar-patrons laughed, I explained why.  Two or three of the people knew the song, not one knew the band, let alone the bass player.   

Online HOF

« Reply #1911 on: May 06, 2020, 12:01:17 PM »

Well...I was being generous in my prior post, but the point was that even the band isn't (and probably never was) a household name, much less one of the band members.  Heck, even Mike Portnoy isn't a household name.

Yeah, for these purposes we probably need to limit it to the population of rock music fans over a certain age. You’d start getting a higher ratio then, but as you say even MP isn’t really well know by the broader rock music listening public. It would be higher in Europe and maybe a few other parts of the world probably than in the US.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1912 on: May 06, 2020, 12:26:52 PM »
I'm not as interested in his output as of late. If it's what he enjoys, I respect that.

The only ones I'm interested in are FC and Transatlantic. Sons Of Apollo's new one is a good direction for the band to head towards.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1913 on: May 09, 2020, 11:29:01 AM »
MP posted on Twitter that there's a 'Prog from Home' music event from Prog Report next Saturday that includes a lot of artists - JR, Neal Morse, Eric Gillette, Steve Hackett, Nick D'Virgilio, and many more. Excited to see what they've all come up with.

Very excited for this! I wonder what they'll perform. It will be interesting to see if this is live or pre-recorded like the Global Citizen concert, which was pretty cool!

This is my first one of these. Might be fun.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1914 on: May 09, 2020, 11:37:37 AM »
I'm not that interested in covers in general. I don't mind them occasionally as part of an album of mostly-original content, but I'm not likely to ever seek out a whole album of covers—not even for an artist I really like (I never bothered with the first two albums in this series, or the DT official bootlegs for MOP, TNOTB or DSOTM).

That said, as HOF said, it seems like something they enjoy and I can't imagine it taking anywhere near as much time as an album of originals, so more power to them if that's what they want to do.

The other thing worth considering is these guys have bills to pay. Their livelihood is in pumping out material to their dedicated but still small fan base. Some musicians have second jobs (or full time day jobs) to make ends meet. Heck, several of the guys in Spock’s Beard have a side band that does covers at weddings and birthday parties and stuff. MP probably does alright because he has a relatively high profile and tours a ton, but I’m sure it’s still somewhat like how a shark has to keep moving to breath. You have to find ways to keep the revenue coming in.

Exactly. Been that way for years.

I'm in because I like 85 to 90 percent of THESE cover songs and I like this lineup.

It is interesting that the last two releases have been cover albums. Well, OK, maybe it isn't.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1915 on: May 09, 2020, 11:42:14 AM »
I'm not that interested in covers in general. I don't mind them occasionally as part of an album of mostly-original content, but I'm not likely to ever seek out a whole album of covers—not even for an artist I really like (I never bothered with the first two albums in this series, or the DT official bootlegs for MOP, TNOTB or DSOTM).

That said, as HOF said, it seems like something they enjoy and I can't imagine it taking anywhere near as much time as an album of originals, so more power to them if that's what they want to do.

The other thing worth considering is these guys have bills to pay. Their livelihood is in pumping out material to their dedicated but still small fan base. Some musicians have second jobs (or full time day jobs) to make ends meet. Heck, several of the guys in Spock’s Beard have a side band that does covers at weddings and birthday parties and stuff. MP probably does alright because he has a relatively high profile and tours a ton, but I’m sure it’s still somewhat like how a shark has to keep moving to breath. You have to find ways to keep the revenue coming in.

I agree, but how much income does this even provide? Unless they tour it to decent sized crowds, this release won't generate any substantial income for them. That's why so many bands tour 24/7, because record sales bring in so little, and those are bands with a huge following. MP's 2nd cover album of the year ain't gonna bring in a ton. I'd be surprised if it does more than offset the price of making it.

The other side of the coin is that it's just a fun thing to do.  I can't see a lot of serious time invested in this. On it's own, it's doesn't affect the bottom line much on either side of the ledger.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1916 on: May 09, 2020, 11:44:36 AM »
So..cover album? Seriously?

I think it was called "But Seriously..." but I'm not a fan of that album either...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1917 on: May 09, 2020, 11:51:32 AM »
Great post 425. I think sitting down and taking the time to write an album can be beneficial for MP. I remember he mentioned somewhere that DT wrote quickly too but the DT had the added benefit of being a band for much longer than most of MP's side projects. I don't think being in one band is what MP is going for these days. He seems really happy churning stuff with handful of the same guys.

For all we know, he may be writing his OWN album. There's certainly time for that now.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1918 on: May 09, 2020, 11:53:14 AM »
I'm sure there's local musicians in Eastern PA that have tons of talent/creativity where they could jam locally and create something extraordinary for the first time in years. But honestly, he's probably just too old and comfortable to rock his boat.

Sorry, no matter how many times he asks I've told him I refuse to be a guest drummer on this album.

Glad you cleared that up, Nick.

By the way, How are things?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1919 on: May 09, 2020, 11:55:43 AM »

He's been a name in my household for about 35 years now, but I'm not sure that's the case in general.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1920 on: May 09, 2020, 11:59:51 AM »
  Whether it gets executed the right way or not isn't the same thing.  I don't have any quibble with the two weeks; some of my favorite albums were done in HOURS, let along weeks, and at this point you have to assume that two weeks is "together time" and that each member has pieces, bits and bobs that can be fit into the puzzle.   I think for me, and I've said this before, is the problem is the niche aspect.   Dream Theater was new; it wasn't metal (in the sense of Maiden), it wasn't "prog" (in the sense of Yes), it wasn't AOR (in the sense of Journey), it was a happy amalgam of all those things.   There were no limits.   Now, it seems like his projects are all genre and niche focused.  "Here's my trad prog offering"; "here's my metal offering"; "here's my neo-prog offering"; "here's my 70's rock offering".    And I'd rather hear the natural expression of ALL those influences in one place, like DT was.  I don't want to have to put on this record for this, and that record for that, because then I have to put up with great (sometimes) music, but Jeff screaming on top, when it would be cool to see what, for example, Casey could do with that.    Or I don't want to have to put up with great (occassionally) music, but have it be just Ritchie's guitar, when it would be cool to see what, for example, Jordan Rudess could do with that.   And on down the line.

We might be in the minority on that one.  If it can't easily labeled these days there may not be a market for it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1921 on: May 09, 2020, 12:08:33 PM »
I barely get recognition of the name of the band when I talk about "Kayleigh", which here was a moderately big hit.  In fact, right before COVID-19, I was in Atlanta having dinner at a restaurant that used to be my local Italian place when I lived there.  I had been there before and knew a couple of the people at the bar and we were talking about music and stuff.   At one point the bartender hollered at one of the waitresses "Kayleigh!" (well, I know now that it's Kaylee).  Later I asked the server how old her parents were, and after she called security and the bar-patrons laughed, I explained why.  Two or three of the people knew the song, not one knew the band, let alone the bass player.   

Probably told this story before, but a cashier at a the grocery store I go to had that name spelled the correct way on her name tag and I asked how she got the name and her parents told her she was named after some song by a band that she didn't know and of course she didn't know who Marillion was when I mentioned it.

I didn't expect to run in to that in the US, but I was kind of impressed it happened.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1922 on: May 09, 2020, 03:01:37 PM »
Anyone see MP's performance on the show put together by The Prog Report just now? I think there was some discussion in this thread but it sure looked like he was playing a fretless bass in this performance. Have to say, really enjoyed his performance. He's much more of an all-round musician than I realised.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1923 on: May 09, 2020, 03:04:00 PM »
Anyone see MP's performance on the show put together by The Prog Report just now? I think there was some discussion in this thread but it sure looked like he was playing a fretless bass in this performance. Have to say, really enjoyed his performance. He's much more of an all-round musician than I realised.

Yup, I remember that discussion. and yup, that was a fretless bass

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1924 on: May 09, 2020, 03:06:38 PM »
Indeed fretless. Called it.

He kept it to a minimum, but it worked.

His daughter has a surprisingly lovely voice!
fanticide.bandcamp.com