Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 316180 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #1820 on: April 29, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »

The bass in the Ramones video is definitely NOT a fretless bass.  The one under discussion is in a picture in MinistroRaven's post at 7:43:20 PM PDT on 4/28/20.  For whatever reason, that picture is not displaying on my computer (and maybe not yours either), so I had to check it on my phone.  It's definitely a fretless.  Also fret line guide markers on fretless basses are not all that uncommon (although really good fretless players don't need them).

Mystery solved!  I saw no picture after the Ramones video!   

Hmm.  I like his pants.   Also looks like he trimmed his beard (not a bad thing either). 

Offline emtee

« Reply #1821 on: April 29, 2020, 02:03:53 PM »
I would buy a solo EP or album if that's what the mystery #7 project is.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1822 on: April 29, 2020, 02:08:56 PM »
I thought that was JP though.
He and his family did meet up with JP and his family like in the middle of December, which seems to have become an annual thing for them. This was separate. I remember reading (I think on a FB post) that MP specifically said that he had spent New Years with JM.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1823 on: April 29, 2020, 02:11:16 PM »
I don't recall that at all.

Can someone dig that up for me?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1824 on: April 29, 2020, 02:16:07 PM »

Consider how often you bury yourself, I am pretty sure you have your own shovel. ;)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1825 on: April 29, 2020, 02:17:08 PM »
Do we have any inkling what 7 is?   An album of 70's British band covers with Barney Greenway and Nick Bowcott? I can't wait for a rocked up version of "Rockin' All Over The World" by Status Quo, or Slade's "Skweeze Me, Pleeze Me".

:lol :lol :lol

Nick Bowcott?  There's a name I haven't heard in about a million years.

And the only thing I ever heard Barney Greenway do was one of the worst things ever, so...you're probably right.

Next time I see Nick Bowcott at work, I'll ask him.

Well, make sure he knows I meant it with great respect.  :)  :)  :)

Knowing Nick, he'd get a laugh out that. ;D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #1826 on: April 29, 2020, 02:28:49 PM »

MP posted a reply comment on 1/1/20 to someone asking if he still kept in touch with any of the DT guys, and MP said that he hung out with JM on New Year's Eve. Here's a link to a screenshot of that reply that I found on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/194428908900748539/?d=t&mt=login

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1827 on: April 29, 2020, 02:30:22 PM »
Thank you L2L. I did not remember that at all. Good, then I stand my prediction. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1828 on: April 29, 2020, 03:04:52 PM »
I kind of see this the way that Sammy Hagar talks about his relationship with Eddie Van Halen.  He says that he would love to be in the band but more than that, he misses being friends with him.  I'm sure after some time, MP and the other guys miss each other as friends more than band mates. They spent more time with each other than they did with their own wives and kids for 25 years.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1829 on: April 29, 2020, 03:31:45 PM »

Consider how often you bury yourself, I am pretty sure you have your own shovel. ;)
Dig me up next because I just died  :rollin

Yeah JMX, JP and MP have hung out, which is great. Only JLB left to go. Whatever's wrong between them, they'll probably patch it up eventually.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1830 on: April 29, 2020, 04:51:36 PM »
Whatever's wrong between them, they'll probably patch it up eventually.

I don't get the sense that anything is "wrong" between them that needs "patching up."  I think they just don't really like each other all that much, and that's fine.  I'm sure they could and would be cordial to each other if they found each other at the same place.  But I get the sense that neither would seek the other out for company.  So I don't see it as a situation that will ever get "patched up." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1831 on: April 29, 2020, 05:40:18 PM »

I don't get the sense that anything is "wrong" between them that needs "patching up."  I think they just don't really like each other all that much, and that's fine.  I'm sure they could and would be cordial to each other if they found each other at the same place.  But I get the sense that neither would seek the other out for company.  So I don't see it as a situation that will ever get "patched up."

That’s how I’ve always seen it.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1832 on: April 29, 2020, 06:42:09 PM »
I would buy a solo EP or album if that's what the mystery #7 project is.

I would too. I doubt I would like it very much given his track record but the completest in me would consider this a must buy and it may even surprise me like MMXX.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1833 on: April 29, 2020, 09:07:34 PM »

Didn't JLB acknowledge the presence of Portnoy in their last NY show? I think that's cordial enough. In terms of them hanging out and taking pictures like he's done with Jordan and Petrucci, I'm not sure.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1834 on: April 29, 2020, 09:16:07 PM »

Didn't JLB acknowledge the presence of Portnoy in their last NY show? I think that's cordial enough. In terms of them hanging out and taking pictures like he's done with Jordan and Petrucci, I'm not sure.

Mike wasn't there, his family was.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: April 30, 2020, 03:26:28 AM »

Oh I didn't mean them "patching things up" in the sense that they would go skiing together, that's probably impossible (and not just because I don't know if MP likes skiing). The part that could be patched up is that they're not even in contact, according to MP. And MP keeps pointing that out. It's been ten years almost, so whoever hasn't texted back (I'm assuming JLB) might decide it's been enough of that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1836 on: April 30, 2020, 11:05:53 AM »
Not taking sides at all, but this whole issue about them not being in contact is so overblown, I am tiring of reading about it. One dude doesn't want to be "in contact" with another, it's not the end of the world guys. Life is too short to be holding grudges (I cannot say one way or the other if anyone is), but it's also too short to worry about "patching things up" when there is no reason to.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1837 on: April 30, 2020, 11:56:42 AM »
Not taking sides at all, but this whole issue about them not being in contact is so overblown, I am tiring of reading about it. One dude doesn't want to be "in contact" with another, it's not the end of the world guys. Life is too short to be holding grudges (I cannot say one way or the other if anyone is), but it's also too short to worry about "patching things up" when there is no reason to.

It's really funny, and I feel like I'm in the minority in feeling this way.  I realize being in a band is not like a regular job, but I've had three "real" jobs in my adult life: the first two for about 13 years each, and the current for nearly 7.  I just don't keep in any sort of regular contact with folks from the first two jobs -- not because of animosity, but just because.  I therefore find it very hard to care all that much about whom MP does and doesn't keep in contact with.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1838 on: April 30, 2020, 12:00:27 PM »

Mike wasn't there, his family was.

Yup, I captured that moment before they performed Fall into the Light, the portnoy family was in attendance, MP was touring in Europe at the time if I remember correctly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwXsO7hjf7o

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1839 on: April 30, 2020, 12:04:46 PM »
That's where I am at. I was pretty good friends with someone from a job I was at 2006-2015. We never hung out or talked outside of the office, but I considered him a friend. Hadn't talked since I left 5 years ago. Got a text from a mutual friend: "It's a shame about Cedric." Turns out he has Covid19 and was on a ventilator. Mutual friend was shocked that 1) I didn't know, and 2) I didn't even keep in touch with him. It's not personal, it just happens. I valued our friendship when it existed, yet didn't miss it when it was gone. Considering the few real friends I have in my life now, I've essentially lost contact with every friend I've made in 43 years. I can count on one hand the lost friendships I feel bad about.

'Friends come in and out of your life like busboys in a restaurant, did you ever notice that?' -Stephen King, The Body.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1840 on: April 30, 2020, 12:25:40 PM »

It's really funny, and I feel like I'm in the minority in feeling this way.  I realize being in a band is not like a regular job, but I've had three "real" jobs in my adult life: the first two for about 13 years each, and the current for nearly 7.  I just don't keep in any sort of regular contact with folks from the first two jobs -- not because of animosity, but just because.  I therefore find it very hard to care all that much about whom MP does and doesn't keep in contact with.

I'm with you both on this.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1841 on: April 30, 2020, 12:29:09 PM »
Same here.  Some of the best friends I've had in the last 30 years are ones I rarely talk to anymore or never in a few cases.  There were no specific reasons, no arguments or issues that caused any divide, it just happens.  Most friendships have expiration dates.  It's just the way it is.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: April 30, 2020, 12:32:45 PM »
Very true Kev and and Chris.

One other thing to consider is that people change. How many people are friends with someone for 20+ years whee they are in constant contact. It's rare because people change, interests change.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1843 on: April 30, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
Not taking sides at all, but this whole issue about them not being in contact is so overblown, I am tiring of reading about it.
Yeah, I'm sorry. It's just that this forum is the only place where I can talk about things like these  :lol think there's no harm in talking about things other than the music, and as I have said before, it's all their business and it's not a big deal. But I like that he's back to being friends with the rest of the guys, and it's interesting (to me!) to watch and ponder if anything will happen on the final frontier.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1844 on: April 30, 2020, 01:29:24 PM »
How many people are friends with someone for 20+ years whee they are in constant contact.

I'm pretty fortunate that I have a core group of (5) guys that I still talk to/text literally everyday.....we go on 4-5 hunting/fishing trips a year and we've all known each other since our elementary school days. So, were' talking 30+ years of being friends. I understand that's rare and completely feel blessed that I have (5) guys who are close friends who I know would do anything for me...as I would them....at any time.

Sorry for the derail post....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: April 30, 2020, 01:30:38 PM »
Not taking sides at all, but this whole issue about them not being in contact is so overblown, I am tiring of reading about it.
Yeah, I'm sorry. It's just that this forum is the only place where I can talk about things like these  :lol think there's no harm in talking about things other than the music, and as I have said before, it's all their business and it's not a big deal. But I like that he's back to being friends with the rest of the guys, and it's interesting (to me!) to watch and ponder if anything will happen on the final frontier.

Well, it's not an unfair question in the bigger picture.  If, say, life intervenes, and DT needs a drummer; could JLB say "anyone but that guy"?  Sure.   Or could all five be adult enough about it and say "you drum, I'll sing, and we don't have to be friends.  This isn't a gang anymore, we're 50."  I have on good authority the Aerosmith guys are not typically on speaking terms, other than the work, and I'd be surprised if Motley Crue were any different.  Van Halen, another.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1846 on: April 30, 2020, 02:14:49 PM »
How many people are friends with someone for 20+ years whee they are in constant contact.

I'm pretty fortunate that I have a core group of (5) guys that I still talk to/text literally everyday.....we go on 4-5 hunting/fishing trips a year and we've all known each other since our elementary school days. So, were' talking 30+ years of being friends. I understand that's rare and completely feel blessed that I have (5) guys who are close friends who I know would do anything for me...as I would them....at any time.

It's totally fine. I have a friend I now know for 25 years, we aren't as close as we used to be mainly because of getting older and interests changing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1847 on: April 30, 2020, 02:26:10 PM »

Stories like this make me happy, but they also make me sad that there is no one in my life like that. I recognize that life and circumstance has a way of ending friendships, but also there are some that I did not appreciate and tend to as well as I should have, which is why they no longer exist.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1848 on: April 30, 2020, 11:11:48 PM »

Stories like this make me happy, but they also make me sad that there is no one in my life like that. I recognize that life and circumstance has a way of ending friendships, but also there are some that I did not appreciate and tend to as well as I should have, which is why they no longer exist.

You're not alone. It's the same for me, too.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1849 on: April 30, 2020, 11:27:52 PM »

You're not alone. It's the same for me, too.

Ditto.   The upside is that people like my wife and son (social animals) are going crazy not being able to see all their friends and I'm not noticing any difference  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #1850 on: May 01, 2020, 06:29:09 AM »

I am lucky enough to be in a similar situation. We have a group of 5 guys that get together for a regular poker game 3-4 times a year. We've been playing since high school (we are all 57 now), one of the guys I have been friends with since kindergarten, that's over 50 years, and another one and his wife are our best friends who we travel with all the time; trips to Vegas, vacations with the kids when they were younger, etc.

I'm very fortunate in this regard.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1851 on: May 01, 2020, 08:39:43 AM »
My college friends and I are like that.  We don't talk every day, but we have standing things; once a year steak night at Capital Grille, Thanksgiving Day at the Manchester Road Race, March Madness, the Super Bowl, etc. etc.   I've known these guys since I was a freshman in college, and at this point, they've seen the best, the worst, and the weird of Stadler, so there's literally no judgement at this point.  That's a really nice feeling. 

The core group - five or so - we refer to as "phone call friends", meaning, if any one of us gets a phone call in the middle of the night, the answer is "name the time and place" and we go. 

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #1852 on: May 01, 2020, 03:41:37 PM »
MP posted on Twitter that there's a 'Prog from Home' music event from Prog Report next Saturday that includes a lot of artists - JR, Neal Morse, Eric Gillette, Steve Hackett, Nick D'Virgilio, and many more. Excited to see what they've all come up with.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1853 on: May 02, 2020, 11:17:17 AM »

MP posted a reply comment on 1/1/20 to someone asking if he still kept in touch with any of the DT guys, and MP said that he hung out with JM on New Year's Eve. Here's a link to a screenshot of that reply that I found on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/194428908900748539/?d=t&mt=login

Had no idea this happened. Great news.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1854 on: May 02, 2020, 11:21:22 AM »

Also, James lives too far away for something like that to happen organically.