Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 310056 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #980 on: September 20, 2019, 12:20:02 PM »
Part of me wishes, on his behalf, that A7X would have changed their plans and decided to extend his contract and keep him on.  His style fit well with them, and he seemed to really have fun playing that music and playing to those huge crowds.  But on the other hand, I see the real potential for that to have gone south after a couple of album and tour cycles just because he NEEDS to be involved in other things as well.

Not a big fan of A7X but I did hear the album where MP played and then also heard the one with the new drummer and I must say, the newer one felt a bit lacking in the drumming department. Nightmare felt more energetic.

Are you talking about Hail to the King or The Stage? Because the drumming on The Stage is awesome. I feel bad for the drummer on HTTK because the band basically told him to keep it simple on drums ala the Black Album and all's anyone talks about now is how boring his drumming is.

It was HTTK. Should I check out The Stage then?

Absolutely! Brooks Wackerman is their drummer now and he is insane. MP even commented on Brooks' performance on that record.

And yes, the drumming on Hail To The King is sleep inducing.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #981 on: September 20, 2019, 03:02:24 PM »
The Stage is a great album.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #982 on: September 24, 2019, 03:06:22 PM »
Starting a band now or 10 years ago is totally different than starting a band 20, 30 or 40 years ago. The context is totally different.   You could be in 10 bands now and not generate as much exposure or revenue as you could in a single band 25 years ago.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #983 on: September 24, 2019, 03:23:02 PM »
Starting a band now or 10 years ago is totally different than starting a band 20, 30 or 40 years ago. The context is totally different.   You could be in 10 bands now and not generate as much exposure or revenue as you could in a single band 25 years ago.

Very true.

I think it depends what mike wants most.

If his main goal is to play music he really enjoys with people he enjoys, I’d imagine this the best he’s going to do.

If his main goal was to get the biggest audience, then his best bet would be to try to join a huge act like he did for A7X or something if that kind of opportunity ever came up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #984 on: September 24, 2019, 03:38:56 PM »

If his main goal was to get the biggest audience, then his best bet would be to try to join a huge act like he did for A7X or something if that kind of opportunity ever came up.

The only band that I can *maybe* see this happen would be Iron Maiden. And that's a big *maybe*. Other than that, I don't see any major acts in need of a drummer that would get MP on board. Personally, I would love to see him in Alter Bridge or Iron Maiden.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #985 on: September 24, 2019, 03:40:47 PM »

Very true.

I think it depends what mike wants most.

If his main goal is to play music he really enjoys with people he enjoys, I’d imagine this the best he’s going to do.

Those seem to be the choices.  Both would seem ideal to him I would guess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #986 on: September 24, 2019, 03:53:08 PM »
Yeah, he had a good run at the "big stage" for awhile there touring with A7X and then Twisted Sister.  Not sure whether he has put himself out there as a potential touring drummer for other big acts or if he wants to do that, but from an outsider's perspective, it seems like something like that would be awesome for him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #987 on: October 02, 2019, 06:57:03 AM »
But he wants to have that diversity of people he is working with and diversity of styles (even if we might subjectively feel that there isn't much meaningful diversity to us between FC, NMB, and TA). 
This is something that's always puzzled me about established musicians. We as adventurous listeners like to hear things that have never been put together before, even if it's just a tiny change from the established canon of the genre (say, prog metal bands that don't copy DT too much), or just taking influence from a band that's less popular, etc. Some tastes are more eclectic than others, but most people want to hear something that's both good and new. But if you talk to musicians who have been established for a while, they're all full of dreams about how, if they have time, they're gonna start their pure punk side band and pure hard rock side band and pure heavy metal side band, and have this diversity and segmentation. I don't know why that is! I'm not a huge fan of that approach. Fortunately, there's loads of bands who work on creating something fresh and challenging every year, I don't need to wait for MP to do that, and he gets to have his fun. I hope he has a great time and I hope that the number of people on his shows allows him to continue having fun without losing money or interest.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #989 on: October 04, 2019, 10:04:23 PM »
Why didn't he call it Third Drumgree? He really missed the boat on that one.  :'(

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #990 on: October 05, 2019, 11:18:39 AM »
Mike Portnoy Third Degree Drum Cam:

https://shop.mikeportnoy.com/collections/digital-downloads/products/mike-portnoy-third-degree-drum-cam-video-digital-download

I'd have bought the DVD. Oh well.

I'd almost pay him the $15 to have him record it on on DVDR

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #991 on: October 05, 2019, 04:04:04 PM »
Why didn't he call it Third Drumgree? He really missed the boat on that one.  :'(

I thought we would've called it Drum Degree.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: October 09, 2019, 04:37:21 PM »

https://shop.mikeportnoy.com/collections/digital-downloads/products/mike-portnoy-third-degree-drum-cam-video-digital-download

Now available in DVD

MP3D is NOW AVAILABLE on DVD for all of you physical product collectors!!
This is the Drum & Vox Cam for the entire Flying Colors Third Degree album (as well as the Bonus Track Waiting For The Sun)   
There are LIMITED AMOUNTS that were produced for you collectors and once they’re gone we will NOT be re-ordering!
https://shop.mikeportnoy.com/collections/dvds/products/copy-of-mike-portnoy-third-degree-drum-cam-video-digital-download

And for those of you that are all new-school and techie, you can grab the Digital Download:
https://shop.mikeportnoy.com/collections/digital-downloads?sort_by=created-descending

And while you’re already there shopping, check out some of the other newly added items! (Including Used and autographed sticks from the final performance of TGA at MF19, Used and autographed sticks from the NMB TGA and TA BAF recording sessions and much more!)
https://shop.mikeportnoy.com/collections/all-products?sort_by=created-descending

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #993 on: October 09, 2019, 09:18:37 PM »
MP as a guest in a new Noturnall song (brazilian band with Mike Orlando that MP will tour with next month):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zx9X4MQjfQ&t=313s
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #994 on: October 12, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »

Now available in DVD

MP3D is NOW AVAILABLE on DVD for all of you physical product collectors!!
This is the Drum & Vox Cam for the entire Flying Colors Third Degree album (as well as the Bonus Track Waiting For The Sun)   
There are LIMITED AMOUNTS that were produced for you collectors and once they’re gone we will NOT be re-ordering!
https://shop.mikeportnoy.com/collections/dvds/products/copy-of-mike-portnoy-third-degree-drum-cam-video-digital-download

And for those of you that are all new-school and techie, you can grab the Digital Download:
https://shop.mikeportnoy.com/collections/digital-downloads?sort_by=created-descending

And while you’re already there shopping, check out some of the other newly added items! (Including Used and autographed sticks from the final performance of TGA at MF19, Used and autographed sticks from the NMB TGA and TA BAF recording sessions and much more!)
https://shop.mikeportnoy.com/collections/all-products?sort_by=created-descending

Thanks

Saw it at the show so I bought it.

Totally amazing show too.  They were having a blast.  Best show yet of the three I've seen. Need a 3rd live album. Even a live Official Bootleg would be great.
This show needs to be documented to mark the growth of this band.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: October 17, 2019, 10:12:14 AM »

It seems Metalhead knows something Mike Portnoy doesn't ummm

:corn

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: October 17, 2019, 10:13:15 AM »
 :rollin

wow that is pretty bad mess up, but kind of funny

also agreed that it is not news to celebrate your daughters bday

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #997 on: October 17, 2019, 10:27:43 AM »
"Marlene... is there something you need to tell me?"
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #998 on: October 17, 2019, 10:41:36 AM »
Damn, that's harsh.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #999 on: October 17, 2019, 10:42:03 AM »
no wonder the kids get along like family
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: October 17, 2019, 10:45:28 AM »
Damn, that's harsh.  :) :) :)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: October 17, 2019, 11:06:47 AM »
"Marlene... is there something you need to tell me?"

:rollin

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: October 17, 2019, 03:28:51 PM »
 :lol
Doesn't one of Petrucci's daughters have a podcast with MP's daughter? I can see how when you google one of them, pictures of the other might pop up because of that. But they don't look all that similar so there's no excuse!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: October 17, 2019, 03:37:30 PM »
Well JP posted a selfie with him and his daughter, that was the news.  There wasn't any need to google anything, that was the picture to use. The one JP shared on social media.  It's like that news outlet wanted to make "news" so wrote the headline but didn't want to use the same image that it was stealing the headline from (likely blabbermouth who used the correct image).  It's stupid lazy "journalism"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: October 17, 2019, 04:11:12 PM »
It's like that news outlet wanted to make "news" so wrote the headline but didn't want to use the same image that it was stealing the headline from (likely blabbermouth who used the correct image).  It's stupid lazy "journalism"
Yes, or-
THEY DID THIS ON PURPOSE

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1005 on: October 17, 2019, 07:15:28 PM »
JP is one winery dog.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1006 on: October 19, 2019, 01:15:13 PM »
Didn’t see this posted anywhere

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4E-q1Pt1GnM
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1007 on: October 19, 2019, 08:10:24 PM »
Didn’t see this posted anywhere

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4E-q1Pt1GnM

Going to have a blast when I crack open that DVD.  Making time for that tomorrow.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1008 on: November 03, 2019, 03:45:07 PM »
Mike's playing a few DT songs live with Noturnall on their current Brazilian tour: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/noturnall/2019/aruc-brasilia-brazil-239d101b.html
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: November 03, 2019, 03:57:07 PM »
Dumb question because I can't remember but didn't MP say he was done playing DT music? Or was it he was done touring DT music as MP Shattered Fortress

Offline DTA

« Reply #1010 on: November 03, 2019, 04:01:17 PM »
Dumb question because I can't remember but didn't MP say he was done playing DT music? Or was it he was done touring DT music as MP Shattered Fortress

Probably the latter. I can't imagine SoA not having an FII song in their setlist even with two albums of material as the DT songs are probably the moment of the set most people look forward to. I'm guessing parts of ACoS and Burning My Soul will make an appearance next time around.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1011 on: November 03, 2019, 04:18:29 PM »
I thought Derek and MP said the next tour will have no covers. I don’t see that actually happening though since this is a do or die tour, at least through America.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1012 on: November 03, 2019, 04:22:10 PM »

It doesn't matter what he said, but what he remembers he said (or how he changes the version every time he says it, just like he miraculously changed the story of DS' firing from Dt to shift the blame to the other members) :lol

Just for fun, here's a list of all DT songs Mike has performed live so far with different bands since leaving DT in 2010:

Take the Time (Noturnall)
Under a Glass Moon (Noturnall)
The Mirror (Haken, MP Shattered Fortress)
A Change of Seasons: I. The Crimson Sunrise (Metal Masters, PSMS)
Burning my Soul (PSMS)
Hell's Kitchen (PSMS, Sons of Apollo)
Lines in the Sand (PSMS, Sons of Apollo)
Just Let me Breathe (Sons of Apollo)
Anna Lee (PSMS)
Overture 1928 (MP Shattered Fortress)
Strange Deja Vu (MP Shattered Fortress)
Home (MP Shattered Fortress)
The Dance of Eternity (MP Shattered Fortress)
Finally Free (MP Shattered Fortress)
The Glass Prison (MP Shattered Fortress)
As I Am (Noturnall)
This Dying Soul (MP Shattered Fortress)
The Root of All Evil (MP Shattered Fortress)
Repentance (Flying Colors, MP Shattered Fortress)
The Shattered Fortress (MP Shattered Fortress)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: November 03, 2019, 07:40:47 PM »
There's no need for controversy.  I don't know about anyone else, but I took what he said as "full set dedicated to DT material", but even if I'm wrong and he said "any" DT, so what?  You're really going to crucify a guy for having a change of heart?  In the grand scheme of things does it really matter? If an opportunity comes his way, I don't think it's fair or reasonable to expect him to say "Well, I'd love to, but I made a comment to Blabbermouth seven years ago, so..." 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1014 on: November 03, 2019, 08:03:51 PM »
I remember when MP made that declarative statement. It definitely sounded like he was done playing DT music.

That said......why are we upset? Isn't this one of the few vows we hope people break?

If John Petrucci said "DT will never play anything from SFAM again" and then later on played Home, would we be pissed?
fanticide.bandcamp.com