Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 310037 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #911 on: June 05, 2019, 12:32:23 PM »
Just spent 15 minutes setting this up and filling up the data only to discover you have to be an American citizen to set this up and then withdraw the money without complications. Well shit, good luck with this then.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #912 on: June 09, 2019, 04:14:21 PM »
Bands I love in no order

Liquid Tension Experiment
Flying Colors
Transatlantic
Neal Morse/Band
Tribute Bands
Macalpine, Sherinian, Sheehan, Portnoy

Bands I like.

Winery Dogs

Bands that are  indifferent to me so far.

Sons Of Apollo

Metal Allegiance

Shattered Fortress

Bands I'm just not into

AMob

Avenged

Big Elf

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #913 on: June 27, 2019, 09:59:54 PM »
Something a little different from Mike:
https://www.facebook.com/116713035013014/posts/3102552533095701?s=100000056893649&sfns=mo
A solo band playing songs from all his bands?

Hey Brazil! 🇧🇷
Looks who’s coming to play some special shows in Oct/Nov 😎

RedEMpTiON ToUr
NOTURNALL + MIKE PORTNOY 
Feat. EDU FALASCHI
A historical evening!!!

Legendary drummer MIKE PORTNOY (EX-DREAM THEATER / THE WINERY DOGS / SONS OF APOLLO / TRANSATLANTIC), reencounter his ADRENALINE MOB former band mate, the fantastic guitar player MIKE ORLANDO, and both will join one of the biggest bands of the Brazilian Metal scene, NOTURNALL, to play ONLY BIG CLASSIC HITS! Also joining them on stage is iconic singer EDU FALASCHI as special guest!

And the night will be even more spectacular with the magic of WANDER RABELO.

All of this will be recorded for a DVD that will also capture EVERY SHOW OF EVERY CITY OF THE TOUR, crossing Brazil coast to coast!

The shows:
MiKe PoRTnOY
The legendary drummer is back to Brazil, as a special guest to NOTURNALL to perform some CLASSIC HITS of his career!
PORTNOY will go back in time and play the several hits of his career, adding a very special surprise for the Brazilian audience...
Get your ears and heart ready for a historic night!!!

NoTuRNaLL
The band returns on stage after the successful tour in Russia with the American band DISTURBED to present the new album, "COSMIC REDEMPTION".
Known for Hollywood-like refinement shows,
NOTURNALL will not disappoint this time, besides presenting the new "Zombie Exotic Dancer"
LARISSA MIOTO, the band will also bring on stage Magician WANDER RABELO, with the most super-produced illusionistic show of the history of the band. And all of that will be properly captured for a DVD RECORDING directed by the renowned ALEX BATISTA!!!

EdU FaLaSCHi
(SpEciAL GuEsT)
And to make everything even more perfect,
EDU FALASCHI will join the team to brighten up the night with some classic of his own!
In addition to showcase surprise songs from his own career, he will join THIAGO BIANCHI for an exciting tribute in honor of ANDRE MATOS.

GuESt BanDs
The Brazilian Metal Scene will sure be well represented in each city that the tour will pass, bringing in the best of the vast national barn of bands.
Three bands will open each event. They are all tuned and in sync with the evening we are about to present, both on the covers they will play as well as on the quality of their own songs. Those are going to be must-seen shows!! 
Support bands still to confirm.

ToUr DaTEs:
Thursday  – 31 Oct  – FORTALEZA (Armazém)
Friday      – 01  Nov – BH (Mister Rock)
Saturday  – 02 Nov  – BRASILIA (C. de Convenções)
Sunday     – 03 Nov  – GOIANIA (Bolshoi)
Thursday – 07 Nov  – SÃO PAULO (Tropical Butantã)
Friday      – 08 Nov  – RIO DE JANEIRO (TBC)
Saturday  – 09 Nov  – LIMEIRA (Bar da Montanha)
Sunday     – 10  Nov – PORTO ALEGRE (Opinião)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #914 on: June 27, 2019, 10:11:24 PM »
I saw that devieira and thought it was interesting.  Noternall did a similar thing with James LaBrie last year right?

Do you think Edu will be on stage at the same time as MP at all? I'm guessing not unless it's to perform MP stuff - I don't see MP learning Angra songs.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: June 27, 2019, 10:52:19 PM »
...besides presenting the new "Zombie Exotic Dancer"

Color me intrigued.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #916 on: June 28, 2019, 12:08:21 AM »
It's weird reading that with the use of aBNorMaL CapiTAliSAtIOn because it's obvious he doesn't know what it means. :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #917 on: June 28, 2019, 05:38:46 AM »
I saw that devieira and thought it was interesting.  Noternall did a similar thing with James LaBrie last year right?

Do you think Edu will be on stage at the same time as MP at all? I'm guessing not unless it's to perform MP stuff - I don't see MP learning Angra songs.

Right, JLB played with Noturnall, within their set, last year. They played 2 JLB songs and PMU. But I guess that this will be a bit different, with MP making a whole set with songs of his career, possibly with his own band. It would be cool if MP played with Noturnall something from Angra, maybe one of the more progressive ones from Temple of Shadows or Acqua (a personal favorite).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: June 28, 2019, 08:09:10 AM »
I don't think I'd have much interest in this eventual DVD.  I dont understand why they are even doing this, just seems weird since JLB has already worked with Noturnall and MP is back to just doing his old music? 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #919 on: June 28, 2019, 08:19:11 AM »
Well it's Noturnall's tour and it's probably a pretty big deal for them to have Portnoy and Edu Falashi as guests.  So they want to document it. 

It's not like Portnoy said "if I play with you, we need to make a DVD!" 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: June 28, 2019, 08:30:44 AM »
Yea, I'm sure it's a big deal for them.  But it's not for me and that's fine.  If MP wants to do his old music again, I'd rather him play with his Shattered Fortress band again personally because that show was kick ass and those guys are all fantastic.  The stuff I've seen of JLB with Noturnall has mostly been bad.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #921 on: June 28, 2019, 08:32:19 AM »
Wasn't Noturnall that band that had JLB in a masked costume to enter in?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #922 on: June 28, 2019, 09:44:20 AM »
The shows with JLB were also recorded for a live DVD, and iirc, it was never released. Noturnall just went through a BIG lineup change where 3 out of 5 members suddenly left, and that might have something to do with the band never releasing it. I see this as them still wanting to put out a live album in a similar vein to what the other one was supposed to be, but with the current lineup, and that's probably how the MP/Edu Falaschi thing came to be (speculation, of course).
Btw, if any of our brazilian friends here has more info on this, please share it with us. I've tried to understand what happened with the band, but my Portuguese knowledge isn't too good :P

About the MP part of the set, I originally understood it will be MP playing the songs with Noturnall playing the rest of the parts (same case as with JLB), nowhere in the article does it say that MP will have his own band with him or anything like that, but maybe I'm reading something wrong?

As for Edu, I expect him to come and sing a couple DT songs with them as the encore.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #923 on: June 28, 2019, 10:02:32 AM »
No, I don't think you're reading it wrong. I don't think MP will have his own band, except it says Mike Orlando will be there too.

For Edu, it says he'll be doing classics of his own and participating in an Andre Matos tribute, so I'm guessing there will be two separate sets, but as you say maybe he'll do some songs for the encore of MP's set.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #924 on: June 28, 2019, 10:15:15 AM »
No, I don't think you're reading it wrong. I don't think MP will have his own band, except it says Mike Orlando will be there too.

Mike Orlando is the new (old/rejoined) guitarist for Noturnall.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #925 on: June 28, 2019, 10:44:29 AM »
It's weird reading that with the use of aBNorMaL CapiTAliSAtIOn because it's obvious he doesn't know what it means. :lol

It’s as if chaossystem wrote the release.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #926 on: June 28, 2019, 11:34:19 AM »

Mike Orlando is the new (old/rejoined) guitarist for Noturnall.

Oh OK, thanks.  Now it makes even more sense - probably a lot easier for them to get MP on board.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: June 28, 2019, 11:38:26 AM »

It’s as if chaossystem wrote the release.

:lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #928 on: July 22, 2019, 09:27:39 AM »
Overkills' Facebook page posted a picture of Mark Menghi, Phil Demmel, Bobby Blitz, and Mike Portnoy. The headline reads more info coming soon.

Is this another Metal Allegiance or another project? I hope its a new project, should be great with that lineup.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: July 22, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »
If this is true it sounds like this going to be best project MP has ever worked on.  No project will come close to this.

Itll be like Neal Morse, Pink Floyd, The Flower Kings, Dream Theater, Genesis, Adrenaline Mob, Katie Perry, Soundgraden, Metallica, Limp Bizkit all rolled into one.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 06:18:56 AM by ReaperKK »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: July 22, 2019, 09:53:18 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #931 on: July 22, 2019, 09:56:34 AM »
Overkills' Facebook page posted a picture of Mark Menghi, Phil Demmel, Bobby Blitz, and Mike Portnoy. The headline reads more info coming soon.

Is this another Metal Allegiance or another project? I hope its a new project, should be great with that lineup.

MP posted the picture on his Twitter. It's at his house in his studio. Said they would be there a few days working on something.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #932 on: July 22, 2019, 11:07:05 AM »
If this is true it sounds like this going to be best project MP has ever worked on.  O project will come close to this.

Itll be like Neal Morse, Pink Floyd, The Flower Kings, Dream Theater, Genesis, Adrenaline Mob, Katie Perry, Soundgraden, Metallica, Limp Bizkit all rolled into one.
You know, if I thought there was even a possibility of this, I'd be pumped.

But increasingly, Mike's projects are the "neo-prog stuff", the "metal" stuff, the "trad prog" stuff, the "hard rock" stuff... none of it seems to be that genre-crossing, genre-busting stuff that Dream Theater was.  The closest thing (for me, anyway) is the Flying Colors stuff. 

So I can hope, I can dream, but I feel like it's going to ultimately turn out to be generic (see the root of the word!) thrash-ish metal.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #933 on: July 22, 2019, 07:25:35 PM »
If this is true it sounds like this going to be best project MP has ever worked on.  O project will come close to this.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #934 on: July 24, 2019, 04:58:37 PM »

That wanders into territory I'm just not interested in although I'd give it a listen just to make sure.

I suppose that's where the opportunity lies these days.

Offline emtee

« Reply #935 on: September 17, 2019, 09:54:34 AM »
Hard to believe that 9 years ago MP announced he was leaving
DT. DT has rebounded nicely but honestly,  I've lost the passion for
MP and his multitude of projects. I keep trying but I'm not sure
how much longer I will keep buying music that I know won't have
any lasting impact.

Don't remember the exact date but I know it was September of 2010.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #936 on: September 17, 2019, 09:57:28 AM »
September 8th.  I know this because my birthday is the 10th.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #937 on: September 17, 2019, 10:16:04 AM »

Hey! Happy late birthday buddy!!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #938 on: September 17, 2019, 12:22:27 PM »
Mine is the 9th.  I didn't see the announcement until the morning of my birthday that year.

Happy birthday to me!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #939 on: September 17, 2019, 03:23:38 PM »
Happy birthday to Hef, Stads, and me!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: September 17, 2019, 05:16:57 PM »

Same here, I remember everything about MP leaving but nothing about my birthday from that year :lol

I was actually listening to some DT earlier today and I was thinking to myself how awesome MP's drumming is.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: September 17, 2019, 07:11:43 PM »
Happy birthday to Hef, Stads, and me!

Happy birthday to all you guys!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #942 on: September 17, 2019, 10:18:03 PM »
Bringing this back on topic, MP is getting a colonoscopy! The man does love to share. Maybe we'll get pics!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2hornHjbw9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

;D
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #943 on: September 17, 2019, 10:51:28 PM »
Bringing this back on topic, MP is getting a colonoscopy! The man does love to share. Maybe we'll get pics!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2hornHjbw9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

;D

Some things are not meant to be shared in public, oh boy :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: September 17, 2019, 11:29:16 PM »
I was actually listening to some DT earlier today and I was thinking to myself how awesome MP's drumming is.

I was recently listening to some live releases from MP's time in the band and this was readily apparent to me the throughout.

I do also recall seeing Mike's announcement on this forum. I don't know how long after it was made, but it was either that day or the next. My first immediate thoughts were "is this it?" Is this the end? No more music from my favorite band?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'