Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313778 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #700 on: February 09, 2019, 05:03:45 AM »
What a photo.  :hefdaddy

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #701 on: February 09, 2019, 05:07:33 AM »
"let's grow a vanity beard, yeah yeah yeah yah" 🎶
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #702 on: February 09, 2019, 07:24:49 AM »
Flying Colors was full band doing Blue Ocean, Place in My World, Fool in My Heart, and Mask Machine. Casey told me new album by end of summer and band announced they are doing a full performance next cruise.

TA was with Randy George on bass and both Leonard and Bill as extras doing Suite Charlotte Pike medley.

Mike, Jordan, Conner, and Eric did instrumedley from Budokan.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #703 on: February 09, 2019, 07:28:15 AM »

Cool. Who is Connor?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #704 on: February 09, 2019, 07:28:43 AM »
I've just become aware of the sheer magnitude of that event. The line up is insane and there was just so much amazing music.  :metal

Offline DTA

« Reply #705 on: February 09, 2019, 07:30:45 AM »

Cool. Who is Connor?

Haken bassist. Cool dude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #706 on: February 09, 2019, 07:43:03 AM »
Thank you.

Is that the big fat guy on in the picture above on the far right? I don't know who that is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #707 on: February 09, 2019, 07:44:59 AM »
Thank you.

Is that the big fat guy on in the picture above on the far right? I don't know who that is.

The fail you're displaying in this thread is nothing short of Nick-worthy.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline DTA

« Reply #708 on: February 09, 2019, 07:46:16 AM »
Thank you.

That's Randy George, Connor is the bearded dude behind Roine to the right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #709 on: February 09, 2019, 07:49:51 AM »
Thank you.

The fail your displaying in this thread is nothing short of Nick-worthy.

I know Dream Theater. I know who Neal and Steve Morse are. I know who Dave Larue is. 

I could not name a single guy in that picture. It's not my kind of music. Flying Colors blows. Transatlantic is not my thing, and Haken..puleeze.  ;D
Seriously, I don't follow any of those bands so I don't know the players.

Thanks, but who is Roine? j/k  I mean I don't know which one he is, but..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #710 on: February 09, 2019, 07:51:37 AM »
Good music is not my kind of music. 

Oh, we know. :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #711 on: February 09, 2019, 08:02:28 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #712 on: February 09, 2019, 09:10:01 AM »
Flying Colors was full band doing Blue Ocean, Place in My World, Fool in My Heart, and Mask Machine. Casey told me new album by end of summer and band announced they are doing a full performance next cruise.

TA was with Randy George on bass and both Leonard and Bill as extras doing Suite Charlotte Pike medley.

Really cool they played the instrumedley! The TA set also included an Abbey Road medley?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: February 09, 2019, 09:41:09 AM »
The instrumedley?  Damn, that seems like an odd choice but really cool.  I totally wouldn't expect that to be pulled out.  I'm sure it was well done too, those guys are all beasts at their instruments.

Looks like Cruise to the Edge had a good amount of rare performances which makes me pretty jelly

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: February 09, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
Watch the performance of the Dream Theater "Instrumedley" with Mike Portnoy 🤘, Jordan Rudess , Eric Gillette, and Conner Green on Cruise to the Edge
https://progreport.com/mike-portnoy-performs-show-on-cruise-to-the-edge-with-jordan-rudess-flying-colors-and-transatlantic/

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #715 on: February 09, 2019, 12:58:11 PM »
What a night!!!! My very special MP & Friends Set aboard Cruise To The Edge was such a blast!! The set was 1/3 Flying Colors, 1/3 Transatlantic and 1/3 Dream Theater/LTE...here’s a shot backstage before the show began! LOTS more pics and videos to come...

Hasn't Mike said that "Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress" would be the last chance to see him playing DT's music?

I don't have the quote handy, but I think the context of that was that it would be the only opportunity to see him do a full show of DT material, particularly that specific DT material. I don't think he was saying he will never play any DT songs again.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #716 on: February 09, 2019, 01:01:02 PM »
Why would anyone on this planet want an LTE3? You know it’s not going to have the same vibe as before and feel completely out of place with their prior albums.

I'd love one, but it's unlikely at best.

Mike all but confirms they’ve talked about it and all want to do it.
https://youtu.be/9OGlESzZQnE  7:00 mark.

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #717 on: February 09, 2019, 01:02:20 PM »
Watch the performance of the Dream Theater "Instrumedley" with Mike Portnoy 🤘, Jordan Rudess , Eric Gillette, and Conner Green on Cruise to the Edge
https://progreport.com/mike-portnoy-performs-show-on-cruise-to-the-edge-with-jordan-rudess-flying-colors-and-transatlantic/

Coolest DT related thing I’ve seen a long time.  So awesome to see them on stage together again. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: February 09, 2019, 01:54:38 PM »
What a night!!!! My very special MP & Friends Set aboard Cruise To The Edge was such a blast!! The set was 1/3 Flying Colors, 1/3 Transatlantic and 1/3 Dream Theater/LTE...here’s a shot backstage before the show began! LOTS more pics and videos to come...

Hasn't Mike said that "Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress" would be the last chance to see him playing DT's music?

I don't have the quote handy, but I think the context of that was that it would be the only opportunity to see him do a full show of DT material, particularly that specific DT material. I don't think he was saying he will never play any DT songs again.

Yea I think that was it, especially since he then toured with SOA playing a couple DT songs. 

Very cool  :metal

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #719 on: February 09, 2019, 01:57:15 PM »

I've found a quote:

"As far as the music goes, this is closure for me. I don't ever plan on revisiting Dream Theater material beyond this tour. This is the finite ending of the Dream Theater journey for me,"

He'd said nothing about full show, only "DT material".

Anyway, I don't like it when musicians say it will be the last time they will do something. Sounds like Ozzy's "farewell" tours.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #720 on: February 09, 2019, 02:32:13 PM »
I think there a few other comments that some folks intentionally construed in a way that they came across like "taking shots."  For example, I seem to recall a comment about how the atmosphere in the studio -- and particularly with respect to recording vocals -- was different and James liked that.  That was construed (in my opinion deliberately misconstrued) as being the equivalent of "MP was a little Hitler in the studio."
If the tables were turned and MP said "it was a little different in the studio, particularly with the vocals, and it was really cool," it would be characterized as a shot of Ivy Mike proportions. To be clear, I'm not calling what JLB did a shot. Just pointing out that there are very different, very subjective standards at work when discussing this.

There shouldn't be different standards.  And, for the record, I've taken a LOT of heat here for vociferously defending Mike for making comments that are pretty much the equivalent of the hypothetical you posted, and which several people want to call him out for.  And I will continue to do so.

But to be fair to the side that DO criticize him for stuff like that, there is an important distinction.  James has NEVER publicly said anything disparaging about Mike.  Mike HAS several times made openly disparaging comments about James and/or DT.  So when a comment from either side is vague, I don't think it is unfair to give the one side that has never made disparaging comments, and be much less willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the side that has.

I've made this comment numerous times in the past, and every single time there is someone that says "I don't recall any of that" and I go and post the links to the Blabbermouth interview as well as I believe it was an Ultimate Rock interview.  I'm not doing that again.  In any event, basically James made no bones about this not being a bad thing for him. He said he was "happy" Mike left.  He said "no one missed him".  He also made comments about his vocals being done in Toronto without someone standing over his shoulder telling him what to do.  He made comments to the effect that everything Mike did could be done by others in the band (hint: they weren't).  He made comments about how it was a positive to not have to compete to be the front man (said the guy that in many shows, spends significant time behind the amp line). Yes, many of those comments he later walked back from.  Yes, many of you don't think they are "shots".  Fair enough (I consider a "shot" to be anything that is, veiled or blunt, a disparaging comment, or a comment that belittles or downplays anothers efforts or contributions).  I don't expect everyone (or anyone) to agree with me, but at the very least, I do think that of all the members of the band, he was and still is the one that misses Mike least, was least upset by the change, and cared the least about him coming back then or now. 

All with the provisos that a) James might be my favorite member in terms of his contribution to the sound (I believe him to be the only irreplaceable member of the band, sound-wise), b) I fully understand I've never been in a room with them talking about this, nor have I ever talked with James about it, so it's pure speculation, and c) doesn't at all excuse anyone else's behavior (Mike's or otherwise).  It's just an observation I have. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 02:41:44 PM by Stadler »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #721 on: February 09, 2019, 02:37:03 PM »
I’m with you Stadler.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #722 on: February 09, 2019, 02:44:04 PM »
In retrospect, it's pretty easy to see that Stadler's angle is most likely accurate.   MP from as far back as I can remember has been fairly critical of JLB.  When was it that MP started complaining that JLB wasn't there for the writing sessions?   Then when JLB started showing up, he was fairly critical of his contributions?   

I love MP, and I love JLB, but it's pretty easy to see that they had a terse relationship at best, and that things may very well have been very hard on JLB when MP was co-leader of the band.   It's like loving your job, and having two bosses.  One of them you get along with really well...the other one can be extremely difficult to be around.   Obviously when the difficult boss leaves, and you're offered more of a contributing share in "the company", you're going to be nothing but happy.    So I don't blame JLB one bit for making a few off handed comments.   But they don't seem to be quite as overtly "pot shots" as some of MP's comments have been.   Nevertheless....JLB certainly did make his feelings clearly known without being quite as blunt. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #723 on: February 09, 2019, 02:49:32 PM »

Anyway, I don't like it when musicians say it will be the last time they will do something. Sounds like Ozzy's "farewell" tours.

"I don't PLAN on playing it again." PLAN on it.   That's not to say that it can't arise organically. 

Jordan:  "Hey Mike, I'd love to play something with you.  Let me know."
Mike:  "Sure, me too!  But it can't be any of the material that we worked on for years, played live hundreds of times in the band we were in together, and that most people know and recognize, because I made one comment four years ago about never playing DT material again and even though I did that twice a night for 75 shows with SOA, I can't do anything that social media might perceive as 'breaking a promise'." 

I say that to be funny, but still.   

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #724 on: February 09, 2019, 02:59:22 PM »

"I don't PLAN on playing it again." PLAN on it.   That's not to say that it can't arise organically. 

Jordan:  "Hey Mike, I'd love to play something with you.  Let me know."
Mike:  "Sure, me too!  But it can't be any of the material that we worked on for years, played live hundreds of times in the band we were in together, and that most people know and recognize, because I made one comment four years ago about never playing DT material again and even though I did that twice a night for 75 shows with SOA, I can't do anything that social media might perceive as 'breaking a promise'." 

I say that to be funny, but still.

Really? Ok.

I believe in MP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: February 09, 2019, 03:02:51 PM »
I would just say it's better if he had just never made that statement, no matter what he truly meant, you know fans will take it this way regardless and honestly I say that's rightfully so.  You make these public comments, and you got to live with it.  Now having said that, the comment is just mostly ridiculous to have ever believed anyway.  I think that's why I took it more of "last time you'll ever see the 12SS and more show from this MP and Friends band"  not so literal of him not going to play any DT songs ever again.  That just seems too unrealistic to believe and that's obviously not what happened, in fact it was very quickly that MP was back playing DT material.  Who cares really.  SOA brought life into Just Let Me Breathe and I thought that made me like the song much more than I had before.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #726 on: February 09, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
I would just say it's better if he had just never made that statement, no matter what he truly meant, you know fans will take it this way regardless and honestly I say that's rightfully so.  You make these public comments, and you got to live with it.  Now having said that, the comment is just mostly ridiculous to have ever believed anyway.  I think that's why I took it more of "last time you'll ever see the 12SS and more show from this MP and Friends band"  not so literal of him not going to play any DT songs ever again.  That just seems too unrealistic to believe and that's obviously not what happened, in fact it was very quickly that MP was back playing DT material.  Who cares really.  SOA brought life into Just Let Me Breathe and I thought that made me like the song much more than I had before.

Of course!

Obviously he would play DT material again. So don't use this ridiculous promise as great promotional marketing for your show.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #727 on: February 09, 2019, 08:22:20 PM »
Of course!

Obviously he would play DT material again. So don't use this ridiculous promise as great promotional marketing for your show.
Honestly, he might not have said so specifically, but it's pretty much implied. If you know the man, while he can be one to hype things up (which I believe it has always been genuine), he is also straightforward with what he says so that the fans know what's up. So when he does another tour or full show of nothing but DT material, then you can argue your point. Until then, please let it go.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #728 on: February 10, 2019, 06:16:10 AM »
Thank you.

The fail your displaying in this thread is nothing short of Nick-worthy.

I know Dream Theater. I know who Neal and Steve Morse are. I know who Dave Larue is. 

I could not name a single guy in that picture. It's not my kind of music. Flying Colors blows. Transatlantic is not my thing, and Haken..puleeze.  ;D
Seriously, I don't follow any of those bands so I don't know the players.

:biggrin:
Thanks, but who is Roine? j/k  I mean I don't know which one he is, but..

I’m with you buddy. Bunch of never-will-bes posing with Mike and Jordan. :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #729 on: February 10, 2019, 06:55:04 AM »
Considering that he was the first to chime in that the new NMB record is a true band effort (which led to Eric's wife saying the same), I chuckled at the bit in the Trunk interview where Portnoy said he is touring with Neal until the beginning of summer...what about Eric, Bill and Randy??? :P

Offline emtee

« Reply #730 on: February 10, 2019, 07:43:52 AM »
One thing is for sure, when you pay to see a show and MP is behind the kit...you get your moneys worth.
It's great seeing MP and JR together again. Instant connection musically, like no time has passed since they
last shared a stage. Props to the other musicians as well. It was a flawless performance all around.

I hope for LTE III and wouldn't be surprised one bit if it sold like hotcakes. There's lots of us who would love
to see those 3 guys create new music together again.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #731 on: February 10, 2019, 07:52:34 AM »
Of course!

Honestly, he might not have said so specifically, but it's pretty much implied. If you know the man, while he can be one to hype things up (which I believe it has always been genuine), he is also straightforward with what he says so that the fans know what's up. So when he does another tour or full show of nothing but DT material, then you can argue your point. Until then, please let it go.

I don't care what he says or said about not playing DT stuff. If he wants to play those song I'm the first to buy tickets. Those Shattered Fortress shows were great just as the DT-material he did with SOA.
Maybe MP should be a little less straightforward but I'm fine with it as long as he doesn't take the 'shots' at DT.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #732 on: February 10, 2019, 09:17:11 AM »
That was really cool and fun to hear!  :tup I'm impressed how they nailed that because i'm not sure how much they had planned this beforehand but i'm sure they didn't have much time to practice together.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #733 on: February 10, 2019, 09:35:39 AM »
DT's own Twitter has now shared the vid. Looks like fences are definitely mending.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Mladen

« Reply #734 on: February 10, 2019, 11:06:12 AM »
It's also on Facebook now.  :tup