Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 310103 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #840 on: May 31, 2019, 08:10:40 AM »
I felt the enumeration of "this is what you can ask me to do for $50" really had a very bad association (with other people who tell you upfront what you can get for $50) in my mind.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: May 31, 2019, 08:13:47 AM »
https://www.cameo.com/mikeportnoy

Was sent this link earlier. Thoughts? I have to admit that to me, it looks desperate.

It was posted, somewhere.

Anyway, it does kind of look desperate, but there's a lot of celebrities on this.  Howard Stern loves talking about it as he kind of finds it interesting to rank celebrity status by how much each one charges.  $50 for MP is kind of cheap considering "High Pitch Eric" gets $75

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #842 on: May 31, 2019, 08:37:04 AM »
Cram, it's worth the time to scroll through and see who charges what.  There weren't many that interested me, but I have to admit, there was small part of me that was interested in a message from Charlie Sheen or Ice-T for three and a half bills.  Dee Snider for $200 is a steal.

Some make me scratch my head though;   $500 for Brett Favre, but $525 for Chris Harrison (the dude from "The Bachelor")??

I was about 2/3 of the way through, and I thought "hmm, they range from $7 (some soccer player) to about $550 (Brian Urlacher)... all reasonable.   Then... Caitlyn Jenner, $2,500, by FAR the highest (there's no one else over $600 as far as I can tell).   Who's paying that???

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #843 on: May 31, 2019, 08:41:35 AM »
 :lol yea, it's really fascinating in a way.

And it is super easy money, High Pitch Eric is making like 75k this year from cameo and can practically do it in his sleep.  And calling this guy "low IQ" is generous.

But for some of them, they probably charge a high price and only get a few so it's not taking up time but still making nice money.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #844 on: May 31, 2019, 08:53:36 AM »
No results for Tobias Sammet. Interest lost.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #845 on: May 31, 2019, 09:02:43 AM »
I think it's cool... if you can afford to spend 50 bucks for a minute long video :lol. However, I would never pay 50 bucks just to get Mike singing happy birthday to me... I guess most people don't realize they can actually ask interesting questions, like the guy who asked him about his drum sound and how he achieves that working with the engineers/mixers. THAT'S a very good question, and Mike gave a great answer too.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: May 31, 2019, 09:08:50 AM »
I think it's cool... if you can afford to spend 50 bucks for a minute long video :lol. However, I would never pay 50 bucks just to get Mike singing happy birthday to me... I guess most people don't realize they can actually ask interesting questions, like the guy who asked him about his drum sound and how he achieves that working with the engineers/mixers. THAT'S a very good question, and Mike gave a great answer too.

I think it's more useful as a gift for someone else for the birthday part of it, like Kat loves Tobi and Tobi is on there, how cool would it be if I gifted a birthday message from tobi to Kat?  The interview like aspect is cool too and if I really had something I wanted to ask to someone on there, I could totally see it being worth it.

Online pg1067

« Reply #847 on: May 31, 2019, 09:40:03 AM »
Cram, it's worth the time to scroll through and see who charges what.  There weren't many that interested me, but I have to admit, there was small part of me that was interested in a message from Charlie Sheen or Ice-T for three and a half bills.  Dee Snider for $200 is a steal.

Some make me scratch my head though;   $500 for Brett Favre, but $525 for Chris Harrison (the dude from "The Bachelor")??

I was about 2/3 of the way through, and I thought "hmm, they range from $7 (some soccer player) to about $550 (Brian Urlacher)... all reasonable.   Then... Caitlyn Jenner, $2,500, by FAR the highest (there's no one else over $600 as far as I can tell).   Who's paying that???

If a has-been like Dee Snider is getting $200, then Favre ought to be getting $2,000 (although I consider him to be one of the most overrated QBs in history).  As far as Harrison, the Bachelor(ette), as stupid as it is, is massively popular, and its audience consists of exactly the sort of folks who would be willing to drop cash for something like this.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #848 on: May 31, 2019, 10:43:47 AM »
I would ask who in their right mind would pay Dee Snider more than $5 for something, but then I remembered that there are a lot of stupid people out there.  :lol :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: May 31, 2019, 11:03:02 AM »
What's with all the hate for Dee Snider?  I'm not paying more than $5 for ANYONE, but if I was, $200 is a steal for Dee. 

I'm going to get shit for this, but I view him as a modern day, much less profilic, Frank Zappa. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: May 31, 2019, 11:32:12 AM »
I like him too, seems like a legit dude

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #851 on: May 31, 2019, 11:51:54 AM »
Personally I think paying for the opportunity to speak to or hear from anyone, literally anyone, is a bit odd. Though I understand why others would enjoy it.

The one time I did it was when I was in line to see Nightwish and Kamelot and they offered ticket upgrades which included a meet and greet. I took it, but mostly just to get into the venue early and ensure a front row seat.

I'd love to meet bands, but I ain't paying for it. They're people.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: May 31, 2019, 12:19:20 PM »
Personally I think paying for the opportunity to speak to or hear from anyone, literally anyone, is a bit odd. Though I understand why others would enjoy it.

The one time I did it was when I was in line to see Nightwish and Kamelot and they offered ticket upgrades which included a meet and greet. I took it, but mostly just to get into the venue early and ensure a front row seat.

I agree with that, but I'm fascinated with people.  I'm fascinated by how they talk, how they carry themselves, what they say... I've written before that when I was newly divorced, I would go to my local bar, sit at the end of the bar, sip vodkas and do crossword puzzles or whatever, just to get out of the house.  I got to be friends with one of the bartenders and we would just chat.  But if someone came and sat next to me, I'd usually - not always, but usually - engage in conversation, and it was fascinating to me how different people were (but also how alike).   

When I met the Neal Morse Band, Mike was closest to what I expected, but even he was clearly tired and a little reserved. He was nice, and it wasn't fake, but he wasn't the gregarious, wild guy that comes across on some of the band's behind the scenes videos.  Neal wasn't ANYTHING like I expected.  Paul Stanley was exactly 100% as I expected, Gene was sort of what I expected, but not.  Billy Squier wasn't ANYTHING like I expected.   Jon Anderson was exactly as expected.

That stuff fascinates me; it's not always worth it (of the above, I only paid for Anderson and Neal Morse) but there are some guys that I'm curious what they're like in person.

Still on the list:
Ritchie Blackmore
Jack Blades
Phil Collins
Peter Gabriel
Bruce Dickinson
Tony Iommi

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #853 on: May 31, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »
What's with all the hate for Dee Snider?  I'm not paying more than $5 for ANYONE, but if I was, $200 is a steal for Dee. 

I'm going to get shit for this, but I view him as a modern day, much less profilic, Frank Zappa.

It's not hate, just shock that anyone would pay that to a guy whose band literally had 1 hit (and a pretty minor one at that).

Snider does seem like a cool guy when I've see him speak on those specials VH1 used to do, but $200? Come on, now.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #854 on: May 31, 2019, 12:26:30 PM »
While it's not something I would do, I can see it be pretty similar to paying to do a meet 'n' greet at a concert.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #855 on: May 31, 2019, 12:28:03 PM »
While it's not something I would do, I can see it be pretty similar to paying to do a meet 'n' greet at a concert.

Yup. I agree. I also don't understand those.

I mean, I get it if it's a small artist and you want to financially support them. But the idea of paying TO meet someone, is a bit odd to me. And I can very much understand why Neil never did those things.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online pg1067

« Reply #856 on: May 31, 2019, 12:40:59 PM »

I'm sure Dee is perfectly nice, but still, Twisted Sister's a band that released six albums over the course of 20 years (only one of which was truly successful) and only a single new album in the last 30 years.  I don't know what Dee has done outside of TS (and am not sufficiently knowledgeable about Zappa to comment on that comparison), but is that sort of career -- coupled with his decades old congressional testimony -- really enough to put him on any sort of pedestal?

As far as meeting celebs and M&Gs, I've met plenty of famous musicians (both in the fan and business contexts).  The ONLY person I'd pay to get personal access to would be Geddy Lee or Neil Peart (one of these days when I visit Toronto, I will make sure it's during baseball season and would seriously consider buying tickets on Stubhub in the area where Geddy's seats are).  I was never aware of any Rush M&G opportunities, but I might think about it if Rush every performed again (or maybe if Geddy does something on his own), and I wouldn't pay anything over $5-10 for some custom recorded message, but it would be a cool gift for the right person.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #857 on: May 31, 2019, 01:00:08 PM »

Yup. I agree. I also don't understand those.

I mean, I get it if it's a small artist and you want to financially support them. But the idea of paying TO meet someone, is a bit odd to me. And I can very much understand why Neil never did those things.

Those Meet and Greet Bundles usually includes more than just meeting the band.  Early entrance (which is great if it is all GA), soundcheck, you usually get a bag of stuff (like posters).  I mean I'm paying $250.00 to not only meet my favorite band, but to hear their new album before it is out in stores, and see a brief live set and I got to fly to Florida to see the event (which won't be covered by the ticket.  I have to cover flight and stay.  No worries, I could use a vacation).

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: May 31, 2019, 01:15:18 PM »

There's a guy from SHARK TANK that goes for $999 USD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #859 on: May 31, 2019, 01:16:59 PM »
We should all pitch in a dollar and have MP send DTF a greeting!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: May 31, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »
We should all pitch in a dollar and have MP send DTF a greeting!

:rollin

I am in

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: May 31, 2019, 01:20:02 PM »

It's not hate, just shock that anyone would pay that to a guy whose band literally had 1 hit (and a pretty minor one at that).

Snider does seem like a cool guy when I've see him speak on those specials VH1 used to do, but $200? Come on, now.

Well, ignoring the $200 part (I'm not doing that either) but if you were in the tri-state area in that time (early 80's) TS and Dee are way more than a one-hit-wonder (and it was two:  I Wanna Rock and We're Not Gonna Take It).   To have gotten wind of a club show from the next state over in the pre-internet age was a fairly uncommon occurrence, but I can remember going to Toad's Place - a small club in New Haven, DT has played there 5, 6 times - and the bouncer's talking about how they hoped tonight wasn't going to be like a "Twisted Sister show".   Plus his story - rags to riches to rags to riches - and his time as a radio host, his testimony to Congress and his long-successful marriage make him an interesting guy.  He's not a typical rock and roll casualty, and I find that interesting. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: May 31, 2019, 01:29:57 PM »
The guy was also all over VH1 for awhile on their shows.  He's super recognizable even if their music is not (although their two hits, yes two, were pretty big and very recognizable).  From what I've seen though, he just seems like a real down to earth legit guy and I respect that.  And to relate to the other thread about Rob, even saying I think it's lame he calls himself metal god while using a teleprompter, I still respect him for the same reasons I respect Dee.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: May 31, 2019, 01:37:38 PM »
really enough to put him on any sort of pedestal?

I know for me, it's not about "pedestal".  I just find people interesting, and part of that is how people deal with fame (both coming and going).   I'm also interested in how people (and to be fair, the media) distort other people based on non-personal things.   Case in point: Gene Simmons.  Ask various people and they will tell you "asshole, dick, arrogant, all about the money and the p****" and they've never met the man.  I've met him twice - did not pay for either - and both times he was BEYOND what you could or should expect from a celebrity and his time.  Personable, comfortable, engaging, polite.   In one case, when I met the band at Cutler's Records in New Haven before the Lick It Up show, he ignored two gorgeous women (who were talking to Paul) to talk with me.  I shit you not.   

Mike prides himself on being a man of the people, fans first, and yet when I met him, he was friendly, but it was like talking to someone waiting for the bus.  As soon as the bus comes, you kind of know the conversation is over.    Billy Squier? Exactly the opposite.   We actually got into a (reasonably) deep conversation about the music business, his catalogue and what makes him happy (he actually said "this makes me happy", the "this" being standing in the lobby of the Ridgefield Playhouse after his gig talking with about twenty fans like it was a tailgate).   I was blown away by how smart, engaging, and open he was.   I actually left the conversation because I felt like I wanted to end it before it collapsed if that makes sense.   

I never met Springsteen, but I was very close to him once in New York City, and I was almost mesmerized by how he conducts himself.  He literally walks in poses.  Meaning, he is so aware that people are watching him that he will walk a few steps, and even while conducting a conversation will stop and sort of "frame himself" for those taking pictures, then continue walking, then "frame".  It's almost impossible to explain without actually seeing it, but it's fascinating.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #864 on: May 31, 2019, 01:56:42 PM »
Oh man, Twisted Sister is absolutely a two hit wonder band. I heard Stay Hungry once and it's one of the worst rock albums I've ever heard if you exclude those hits, and that's not an exaggeration. Dee's a really cool dude, however. His 30 second stints on Chappelle's Show are better than his whole music career though.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: May 31, 2019, 02:43:58 PM »
The first album, "Under The Blade" comes in two versions (ala Motley's first album, Too Fast For Love).   They're both good, both have their upsides and downsides (I prefer the rawer, first version, rather than the remix), but the real gem is the next one, "You Can't Stop Rock and Roll".   Unbelievable record, if you're asking me. 

There's also a re-recorded version of Stay Hungry (called "Still Hungry") that is good, too.  I mean if you don't like it, you don't like it.   But in my humble opinion, TS is way better than just two campy over-played videos on MTV. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #866 on: May 31, 2019, 02:52:24 PM »
Oh man, Twisted Sister is absolutely a two hit wonder band. I heard Stay Hungry once and it's one of the worst rock albums I've ever heard if you exclude those hits, and that's not an exaggeration. Dee's a really cool dude, however. His 30 second stints on Chappelle's Show are better than his whole music career though.  :lol

Stay Hungry is awesome, man.

But Stadler is right. You can't stop Rock n Roll is where it's at.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #867 on: June 01, 2019, 01:50:01 PM »

This seems to be more about the platform than Mike. My guess is someone approached Mike and he agreed to do it

In time, this might go the way of Tweet Secret. But as with that, this isn't something that would interest me, although there may be some appeal to it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #868 on: June 02, 2019, 12:13:18 PM »
Shared by Mike just about half an hour ago:
MP Gratitude Post & 2019 Update

Coming off the incredible back to back tours with The Winery Dogs and NMB, I’ve been thinking about how much gratitude I have for this amazing journey of music I’ve had over the last many years...

I’m currently in 6 different bands and couldn’t be prouder of the music I’ve written and performed in each and every one of them...and above all, the absolutely outstanding musicians I get to work with in each of them...

Thank you Neal Morse, Steve Morse, Dave La Rue, Casey McPherson, Pete Trewavas, Roine Stolt, Randy George, Bill Hubauer, Eric Gillette, Billy Sheehan, Richie Kotzen, Ron Bumblefoot Thal, Derek Sherinian, Jeff Scott Soto, Mark Menghi, David Ellefson and Alex Skolnick for enriching my musical life for the past many years!

(Also to the members of Twisted Sister, Avenged Sevenfold, Adrenaline Mob, The Shattered Fortress, Bigelf, PSMS, LTE and of course last but certainly not least Dream Theater for all the years we played together as well...)

As crazy as my career has been for the last decade, 2019 looks to be the first year I will actually have some activity with ALL SIX of my current bands...

THE WINERY DOGS:
Myself, Richie & Billy just wrapped up a month-long US Tour after having taken a 3 year hiatus...and we had an absolute blast each and every night!
The playing chemistry in this band is off the charts and we are committed to getting back together for a new album and full world tour as soon as we can coordinate our schedules again.

SONS OF APOLLO:
In January myself, Derek & Bumblefoot got together to write and track all of the music for SOA2. We are currently working with Jeff on writing/tracking all of the vocals and then Billy will begin his bass tracks as well...SOA2 is currently pencilled in for a Jan 2020 release with a World Tour to follow.

In the meantime, I have been working on the final touches for the SOA “Live with the Plovdiv Psychotic Symphony” Blu-ray/DVD/CD release that will be coming out in August. An absolutely incredible package that captured one of the most incredible concerts of my career: playing at this beautiful Roman Amphitheater with a Symphony orchestra and choir doing a very special setlist including covers from Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rainbow, Ozzy, Aerosmith and Van Halen!

NEAL MORSE BAND:
After having toured North America and Europe extensively in the first half of 2019 for the epic double concept album The Great Adventure, we are now putting the finishing touches on the live release of the Great AdvenTOUR filmed in Brno, Czech Republic. We will also do one final performance of TGA (along with Choir, strings and horns) at this year’s Morsefest in Nashville this coming August.

FLYING COLORS:
After our surprise appearance during my solo set on this year’s Cruise To The Edge, the long awaited 3rd album from FC (entitled “Third Degree”) is finally coming out this September! Many years in the making, we cannot wait to finally unleash this latest master work...and we are able to manage to play some very select shows in the US and Europe between Aug and Dec...(and an official appearance on Cruise To The Edge 2020) please travel to come see us as these are the ONLY shows we are able to schedule at this time! But I can’t wait to play again with this absolutely magical band!

TRANSATLANTIC:
After a surprise appearance during my solo set on CTTE that included myself, Neal, Roine & Ted Leonard (just missing Pete who wasn’t available), could the TA mothership be ready to fly again?? It’s been 5 years since Kaleidoscope...hmmmm 🧐😎

METAL ALLEGIANCE:
For all my fellow metal heads, there’s my metal outlet MA...we’ve already played some incredible shows in 2019 kicking off with our annual Anaheim appearance in January w myself, David Ellefson (Megadeth), Alex Skolnick (Testament), Mark Menghi, Phil Demmel (Machine Head), Andreas Kisser (Sepultura), Mark Osegueda (Death Angel), Bobby Blitz (Overkill), John Bush (Anthrax), Alissa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy) & Trevor Strnad (Black Dalia Murder)...and 4 west coast shows in April that also included Chuck Billy (Testament), Troy Sanders (Mastodon), the guys from Exodus, Flotsam & Jetsam, Sacred Reich, Max Cavalera & Nita Strauss...

Thank you everybody for allowing me to have this amazing career and continuing to support my musical journey....

A hint for Transatlantic?!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #869 on: June 02, 2019, 01:03:09 PM »
For me, he's everywhere, but nowhere. Out of everything he's involved with, there's nothing I dig.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #870 on: June 02, 2019, 01:28:53 PM »
For me, he's everywhere, but nowhere. Out of everything he's involved with, there's nothing I dig.

I’m on the same boat as you. SoA was ok, live was better but nothing earth breaking. First Winery Dogs was very good but the 2nd oke felt like a Richie solo album. I’ve been burned out by Neal Morse right so haven’t checked out the last two or three albums from him. Not interested in MA at all. The first FC album was pretty strong but for me, the second album was a massive letdown. Felt like a Transatlantic or Neal Morse album (missed Bill Evans producing). And even though I enjoy Transatlantic a lot, Kaleidoscope was very formulaic bringing nothing to the table.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: June 02, 2019, 05:26:51 PM »

I feel the same but more power to him if he is happy doing what he is doing. I'm exhausted just reading that post.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #872 on: June 02, 2019, 09:40:57 PM »

Same here. Out of his post-DT projects, AMOB, TWD and MA never grabbed me (I didn't even bother to check MA past the first single they released, just not interested at all).

The thing with the other bands he's currently in is that 3 out of 4 have Neal Morse in them and are basically written, produced, recorded and mixed by the same group of people (mostly), and Mike even uses the same kit and configuration on every NM related album he records. At the end, it all blurs together and sounds too samey for the most part. I'd rather have him focus on less, but more varied bands and actually take time to build them, as opposed to the album/tour/2 year hiatus cycle he seems to have going on for each band. That way, he ends up with a bunch of smaller bands, instead of a couple bigger acts. But he should do whatever he's happy with, I guess.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #873 on: June 03, 2019, 09:14:31 AM »
Mixed bag for me.  If I had to rank them according to excitement level, it would look something like this:

1.  Sons of Apollo:  VERY excited.  This isn't my favorite MP project.  But given the combined mix of its quality AND rarity, it tops the list for me right now.  Looking forward to the live release quite a bit.  The tour was fantastic, so I'm happy to relive it, even if this presentation will be different.  I have high hopes for the second release.  The only way it could be better is if they replaced that cancer of a keyboardist.  But we can't have everything.

2.  NMB:  My favorite of the bunch.  The only thing that knocks this down a peg is just the pure saturation that comes from Neal being so prolific.

3.  TA:  Cautiously optimistic.  The Whirlwind is my #3 all time album.  The first two aren't too far behind that.  But I didn't connect with the last one much.  It's still quality.  But the..."magic" just wasn't there for some reason.

4.  FC:  Not excited about it, but I'll probably buy it, listen a couple of times, and break out out every now and then.  But not something that I would expect to burn up the play list.

5.  Metal Allegiance:  Little interest.  But the names involved have always intrigued me, so it's possible I may check it out at some point.  But I doubt I'll buy it.  Probably just see the odd song or video on YT.

6.  TWD:  No interest at all.  The first album bored me after the first couple of token listens.  The second bored me even faster.  I just have no interest in this project at all, and don't intend to buy it unless I hear something that unexpectedly floors me and changes my opinion 180 degrees.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: June 03, 2019, 10:04:33 AM »
I've said this before, but my problem is that his time in Dream Theater was Sons/Transatlantic/FC/Winery Dogs/MA/TNMB all rolled into one, so for me the "segmentation" is the sticking point.  When I read "my metal outlet", I cringe, because for me, the best music, the music that has transcended the years, has always been that which doesn't give a f*** about genre or style and just follows the muse.

Having said that, my order:

1. Flying Colors - This is the material I come back to most. That first album... whoa. 
1a. The Neal Morse Band - I like the songs of FC better, but this is where the playing is. This is probably the best example of "throw all the genres into a blender and see what happens".
2. Transatlantic - Could go either way, but I like the quasi-Genesis vibe to it.
3. Sons Of Apollo - Good, better live, but could have been so much better.  I'm waiting for the second album, at least in part to see what they feel needed improvement, and what they are doubled down on.
4. The Winery Dogs - Eh.  Great musicians, but music that does little for me.
5. Metal Allegiance - I almost went to a show at Toad's Place (700 seat club) and bailed when the Meet and Greets were no longer being sold.  I know the players are great, but it seems too genre generic to me. I haven't paid my "allegiance" to "metal" since I was 19.