Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 312884 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #805 on: April 12, 2019, 07:45:18 AM »
While not that big a deal, this is not the first time he has done that in an interview, list all of the great bass players he has played with and not mentioned Myung, and to me the interviewer failed big time in this instance by not following up and asking, "What about the guy you played with for 25 years, John Myung?"  Then again, it seems like the vast majority of interviewers these days are major fanboys and they probably don't want to jeopardize getting more interviews in the future by asking a tough question or anything like that, so they lob softballs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #806 on: April 12, 2019, 08:02:46 AM »
FYI, we're talking about Powerslave, by Iron Maiden, in another thread here, and one of the b-sides is a pretty heated argument between Steve Harris - bass player - and Nicko McBrain - drummer - recorded surreptitiously by "some c***" (Dickinson).   Incidentally, that argument was recorded after a gig in Allentown, PA.  Must be something in the water there that only affects drummers and bassists...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #807 on: April 12, 2019, 08:05:40 AM »
...but then again, we're talking about adults in a closed-loop system; if you don't like something say something.   "Hey man, we don't see eye-to-eye, I get that, but how 'bout a truce?  I'll participate in your fucking stupid commentaries, Michael Stephen Coppola, and if'n I throw out a bon mot or two, in return, you don't drag it through the sewer system? Comprende?"

And it's all fine to say that, in the abstract.  I mean, yeah, "JM's a grown man.  If he didn't like something, he could have just been a man and stood up for himself.  If he didn't, that's on him 100%."  Right?  But on the flip side, if you're in a band with someone, and their personality is more nonconfrontational, then I think the more "Type A" personalities in the band owe it to that member to take that into account and be a bit more sensitive to the fact that not everyone handles their business the same.  I think it was Mike who penned the words, "Kindness--it's not that hard."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: April 12, 2019, 09:12:46 AM »
[...]and to me the interviewer failed big time in this instance by not following up and asking, "What about the guy you played with for 25 years, John Myung?"  Then again, it seems like the vast majority of interviewers these days are major fanboys and they probably don't want to jeopardize getting more interviews in the future by asking a tough question or anything like that, so they lob softballs.

This. A thousand times this.

As for the interview in question, what a good interview it was (aside from the point raised by KevShmev, above). Shame no-one seems to be discussing the rest of the content. But why do that we can beat around the same tired old bush, eh? ;D
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #809 on: April 12, 2019, 09:26:15 AM »
Usually when the MP thread gets bumped, I think "Oh no, what controversial thing has he said now?".

Except this time we've managed to have a 1 page discussion about what he didn't say!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #810 on: April 12, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »
...but then again, we're talking about adults in a closed-loop system; if you don't like something say something.   "Hey man, we don't see eye-to-eye, I get that, but how 'bout a truce?  I'll participate in your fucking stupid commentaries, Michael Stephen Coppola, and if'n I throw out a bon mot or two, in return, you don't drag it through the sewer system? Comprende?"

And it's all fine to say that, in the abstract.  I mean, yeah, "JM's a grown man.  If he didn't like something, he could have just been a man and stood up for himself.  If he didn't, that's on him 100%."  Right?  But on the flip side, if you're in a band with someone, and their personality is more nonconfrontational, then I think the more "Type A" personalities in the band owe it to that member to take that into account and be a bit more sensitive to the fact that not everyone handles their business the same.  I think it was Mike who penned the words, "Kindness--it's not that hard."

I don't disagree, other than to say that I'm not saying "he's a man, it's on him 100%".  All I'm saying is that in my experience, I have rarely if ever watched a one-man wrestling contest or a one-man boxing match.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: April 12, 2019, 11:06:27 AM »
I have a strong suspicion that he wanted DT to be "his" Anthrax, where the drummer is the sort of catalyst - singer, arranger, lyricist, writer, spokesperson, all-around metal AF captain of the ship...

That seems like a fairly valid speculation, and not even an unfair one. Every ship needs a captain. A 5-member band with 5 captains is going to have rough sailing. But that doesn't mean every person is best suited to be a captain. Not does it mean the other 4 should be relegated to swabbing the decks.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #812 on: April 12, 2019, 12:44:38 PM »
All I'm saying is that in my experience, I have rarely if ever watched a one-man wrestling contest or a one-man boxing match.

Would this count as a one-man wrestling contest since it's technically one man vs a sex doll?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LApVz53Spw

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #814 on: April 16, 2019, 10:26:45 PM »
Leader or Guest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdA67L7abMA

I actually enjoyed watching this, thanks for sharing!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #815 on: April 17, 2019, 02:21:12 PM »
That's been the best interview Mike has done in a long time.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #816 on: April 17, 2019, 02:45:13 PM »
So when he was asked between Billy Sheehan and Paul McCartney, why didn't he answer John Myung?

:censored
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: April 18, 2019, 03:20:17 AM »
So when he was asked between Billy Sheehan and Paul McCartney, why didn't he answer John Myung?

:censored

You beat me to it :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: April 18, 2019, 11:03:12 AM »
He was specifically asked about those 2. It wasn't an open question  :tdwn

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: April 18, 2019, 11:07:13 AM »
I mean I'm fairly sure this was sarcasm :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: April 18, 2019, 11:20:20 AM »

spot on sarcasm too  :lol

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: April 18, 2019, 11:56:59 PM »

Gotta love the pragmatics field of linguistics ;D

(Not being critical of you, MinistroRaven, just expressing my love of the subtleties of language!)
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #822 on: April 19, 2019, 05:21:34 AM »
While not that big a deal, this is not the first time he has done that in an interview, list all of the great bass players he has played with and not mentioned Myung
Yeah and it's not great. It seems that JLB and JM are the people who haven't really rebuilt their relationships with MP, and as a result he doesn't even wanna mention them now when it's warranted to do so, and previously they were only singled out in a negative context. We can argue about why that is*, and why JLB and JM have gotten this treatment while JP and JR get a full public reconciliation. Mike isn't hostile, but the more people are telling him about the optics of making these comments, the more he doubles down, because in his head he didn't mean to do harm by simply not mentioning someone he doesn't wanna mention, and if someone else wants to read it that way, that's their problem.

Well, maybe Mike should tell some little white lies here and there; it's the general assumption that James and Mike are not exactly the best of buddies, but in the occasional interview you see the casual remark from James about how Mike was doing a great job at creating setlists or whatever. It would stick out like a sore thumb if James would say "Petrucci is so great at writing setlists I can't imagine anyone else in the band doing it". The casual mention of his former bandmates, for Mike, should come easy as long as it's just a casual remark and not a detailed request to go very in depth.
Because James is very much aware about the implications of what he says and of what he doesn't say. In fact, he got burned very hard by MP because of what someone else implied in a headline to an article about a James interview post-split. So now he's aware of the implications of what others can say as well.

* Not that we should! But it's inevitable, most splits nowadays follow the business script and they always say there is absolutely no bad blood, so it's interesting to see someone openly holding grudges that we know they must have. What's sad about MP's case is that he always seems like he is pissed off every time someone takes his words at face value and says "well, this guy has a grudge", and it's like he doesn't understand why that happens. Well, here's why.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 05:53:59 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: April 19, 2019, 06:42:28 AM »

Gotta love the pragmatics field of linguistics ;D

(Not being critical of you, MinistroRaven, just expressing my love of the subtleties of language!)

Well it also goes back to the history of this thread recently  :lol but yea, I get it sometimes it's hard to understand the subtleties of text.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #824 on: April 19, 2019, 09:11:59 AM »
Metal Allegiance is on a mini-tour out west.  I love their live shows and setlists - this tour is ending in San Francisco with a big lineup of bay-area thrash guests.  Cool to see Max join them this time!

Soulfly / Prophecy with Max Cavalera:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr9AmpE5AxE

Pledge of Allegiance with John Bush:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BJzVDSD1-s

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #825 on: April 19, 2019, 09:23:46 AM »
While not that big a deal, this is not the first time he has done that in an interview, list all of the great bass players he has played with and not mentioned Myung
Yeah and it's not great. It seems that JLB and JM are the people who haven't really rebuilt their relationships with MP, and as a result he doesn't even wanna mention them now when it's warranted to do so, and previously they were only singled out in a negative context. We can argue about why that is*, and why JLB and JM have gotten this treatment while JP and JR get a full public reconciliation. Mike isn't hostile, but the more people are telling him about the optics of making these comments, the more he doubles down, because in his head he didn't mean to do harm by simply not mentioning someone he doesn't wanna mention, and if someone else wants to read it that way, that's their problem.

Honestly, I don't think it's a big deal if he never mentions JLB or Myung again.  Not every friendship is for life, and if they aren't friends anymore, it's not a big deal.  Sure, they were all in the same band together for decades, and it would be a nice touch if he'd give Myung a mention when asked about the best bass players he has worked with, but he didn't; they have all moved on.  In a perfect world, they would all be buddies again and could sit down with the fans and all sing Kumbaya, but that is not how life works. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #826 on: April 19, 2019, 11:17:38 AM »

In a perfect world, they would all be buddies again and could sit down with the fans and all sing Kumbaya, but that is not how life works.
Unfortunately true..  Silly human race!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #827 on: April 20, 2019, 10:04:20 AM »
It's April 20th, and you all know what that means...

Happy Birthday to Mike Portnoy!!! :hat

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: April 20, 2019, 11:30:01 AM »
 :metal :hat

Offline Mladen

« Reply #829 on: April 20, 2019, 12:13:00 PM »
Happy birthday to one of my favorite drummers.  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: April 20, 2019, 01:19:12 PM »

420 smoke we. . . . oh wait, yea, Happy Birthday MP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #831 on: April 20, 2019, 01:28:09 PM »

420 smoke we. . . . oh wait, yea, Happy Birthday MP

Thought about this after seeing the date on a bank sign on the way to the grocery store this morning.  Not on Facebook or Twitter so I really have little idea of what he's up to after he locked his forum.  Other than what is posted here of  course.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #833 on: May 11, 2019, 01:53:48 PM »
Some drumhead auctions that will start tomorrow I believe.

https://www.backstageauctions.com/catalog/mike-portnoy/ac/0/1444/?fbclid=IwAR0NaRVEDM8AmukxDYV43_MbgznMkP8z3mWxc4SZYKkKPZV4_Nzz2BO6bgs

Is he doing this because he needs to make money or because he doesn't want all that stuff in his house/storage?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #834 on: May 11, 2019, 02:04:52 PM »
Some drumhead auctions that will start tomorrow I believe.

https://www.backstageauctions.com/catalog/mike-portnoy/ac/0/1444/?fbclid=IwAR0NaRVEDM8AmukxDYV43_MbgznMkP8z3mWxc4SZYKkKPZV4_Nzz2BO6bgs

Is he doing this because he needs to make money or because he doesn't want all that stuff in his house/storage?

I don’t think Mike needs the money, it’s just a fun thing to do, and will make some fans with lots of cash very happy.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #835 on: May 11, 2019, 04:25:57 PM »
The BC&SL bass drum head never made sense to me? What’s it supposed to be? It was the back of the album, I remember that.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #836 on: May 31, 2019, 08:05:22 AM »
https://www.cameo.com/mikeportnoy

Was sent this link earlier. Thoughts? I have to admit that to me, it looks desperate.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

« Reply #837 on: May 31, 2019, 08:06:43 AM »
https://www.cameo.com/mikeportnoy

Was sent this link earlier. Thoughts? I have to admit that to me, it looks desperate.

I'm confused. You pay 50 bucks for MP to record you a nice video?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #838 on: May 31, 2019, 08:08:22 AM »
Yup.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

« Reply #839 on: May 31, 2019, 08:09:13 AM »
Yup.

I mean.......seems like easy money, but leaves a weird unwanted smiley taste in my mouth.

I dunno.
fanticide.bandcamp.com