Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 310036 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #735 on: February 10, 2019, 01:27:32 PM »
checking the video out now

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #736 on: February 10, 2019, 07:45:53 PM »
Why would anyone on this planet want an LTE3? You know it’s not going to have the same vibe as before and feel completely out of place with their prior albums.

I'd love one, but it's unlikely at best.

Mike all but confirms they’ve talked about it and all want to do it.
https://youtu.be/9OGlESzZQnE  7:00 mark.

That may be true but the schedules would have to align. Never doubted they all want to do it. I hope it happens.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #737 on: February 11, 2019, 07:36:26 AM »
It took that video of MP and JR (and almost a decade) to finally come to the conclusion (or finally admitting to myself) that DT is not the same amazing band that I fell in love once MP left. I won't go as far as saying "MP was DT" but he was a major piece and the chemistry of those 5 guys together is/was unmatched. Is some of the post-MP DT material better the MP DT? Yes. That being said I was ridiculously more excited for the new Neal Morse Band album than I am for the new DT.  Dream Theater is still a great band but they aren't ruling my musical life anymore.

I would love another Liquid Tension!

And man I hope Eric Gillette gets taken out on a G3 tour. He nailed it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #738 on: February 11, 2019, 07:59:02 AM »
It took that video of MP and JR (and almost a decade) to finally come to the conclusion (or finally admitting to myself) that DT is not the same amazing band that I fell in love once MP left. I won't go as far as saying "MP was DT" but he was a major piece and the chemistry of those 5 guys together is/was unmatched. Is some of the post-MP DT material better the MP DT? Yes. That being said I was ridiculously more excited for the new Neal Morse Band album than I am for the new DT.  Dream Theater is still a great band but they aren't ruling my musical life anymore.

I would love another Liquid Tension!

And man I hope Eric Gillette gets taken out on a G3 tour. He nailed it.

I jsut watched the Score documentary last night, where they were walking around Berkely like a couple of kids... and they were telling the "Majesty" origin story - talking about sleeping out for Rush tickets and talking about Rush music - and Mike and John looked at each other, John pointed to Mike and they both, in unison said "Bastille Day!" as the song they were talking about, and I had to turn it off because the nostalgia was too great.  I don't have any illusions that that can be recreated - life is a hard taskmaster - but it was fun while it lasted. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #739 on: February 11, 2019, 08:03:30 AM »
Maybe I’m missing something here, but why is everybody so excited about Gillette? Sure, the guy can play, there’s no denying that, but he sounds like he tries SO HARD to be Petrucci, it’s not even funny. What makes a great guitarist/musician IMO aren’t the chops necesarilly but the ability to stand out from the rest because you have something unique to offer. Eric is just another JP clone who got lucky with the Neal Morse gig. In contrast, let’s look at another guitarist with heavy JP influence: Marco Sfogli. While he’s undeniably very influenced by Petrucci, he has a unique playing style, tone and phrasing that you inmediately notice it’s him playing. I just don’t feel that with Gillette.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #740 on: February 11, 2019, 08:10:10 AM »
I do not think that is a fair characterization of Gillette.  While his guitar playing is clearly influenced by Petrucci in a big way, he is not a JP clone.  Not only is Gillette an excellent guitar player, he is a very good singer, a damn good drummer and a good keyboard player as well.  He is an extremely well-rounded musician.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #741 on: February 11, 2019, 08:14:05 AM »
I do not think that is a fair characterization of Gillette.  While his guitar playing is clearly influenced by Petrucci in a big way, he is not a JP clone.  Not only is Gillette an excellent guitar player, he is a very good singer, a damn good drummer and a good keyboard player as well.  He is an extremely well-rounded musician.
This.  I don't get the "JP clone" criticism at all.  When he has been asked to cover DT, he sounds like JP.  But he is deliberately trying to, and for good reason, in that context.  But he's a phenomenal player in his own right, and I don't think he "lucked" into the Neal Morse gig at all--he earned it through his talent and musicianship.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #742 on: February 11, 2019, 08:27:00 AM »
All I can say is this:

That performance by MP/JR, EG, and the bass player sounded more like Dream Theater then Dream Theater has. There is just so much more energy in a show that is not played to a click. You CAN tell, and that's not a damning of Mangini or DT. It just is what it is. This one 12-minute performance is the Dream Theater I remember. There's an energy, a connection, between Portnoy and Jordan.

I sincerely hope, after the DT tour cycle for the new album is done, MP, JR, and JP reunite Liquid Tension Experiment (with TL, or whoever else if he is not up for it), and commit to not only playing LTE songs, but being willing to do some DT instrumentals.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: February 11, 2019, 08:30:53 AM »
All I can say is this:

That performance by MP/JR, EG, and the bass player sounded more like Dream Theater then Dream Theater has. There is just so much more energy in a show that is not played to a click. You CAN tell, and that's not a damning of Mangini or DT. It just is what it is. This one 12-minute performance is the Dream Theater I remember. There's an energy, a connection, between Portnoy and Jordan.

I sincerely hope, after the DT tour cycle for the new album is done, MP, JR, and JP reunite Liquid Tension Experiment (with TL, or whoever else if he is not up for it), and commit to not only playing LTE songs, but being willing to do some DT instrumentals.

Bingo on the bold.  This is why SOA and TSF shows had more energy than any recent DT show of memory.  Playing without a click just makes it more live IMO.  I saw Elton John recently and he made a joke about how playing to a click is for people who can't play live.  I don't really agree, we all know DT can play live, but he is right that the click does take away from that liveness of the music. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: February 11, 2019, 08:35:51 AM »
DT is incredible live. Again, its not really a criticism of DT as it is a preference for a looser live show. I MISS that from DT. A technical band like DT, IMO, NEEDS that looseness live, to really make it come alive. A less technical band can get away with a click if there is multimedia and the songs have a certain energy to them. But for me personally, a looser DT is a better DT.

I just really love that MP is finally connecting with the guys and healing wounds. Even if it leads nowhere, its...the right thing to do. Here's hoping, at some point, MP and JLB get together for a couple of hours, and put the past to bed. Not to mention MP and JM, but JM is so quiet, we'd probably never know.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #745 on: February 11, 2019, 08:38:23 AM »
I thought the video was great. Awesome performance. "What happens when you push that button?" Love it.

There is a picture on MP's and JR's instagram of them hugging after the medley. That was great to see.

As someone else referred to, how much practice went on before the actual performance? That's not stuff that you can just get up there and play without needing some sort of rehersal, right?

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #746 on: February 11, 2019, 08:41:10 AM »
I thought the video was great. Awesome performance. "What happens when you push that button?" Love it.

There is a picture on MP's and JR's instagram of them hugging after the medley. That was great to see.

As someone else referred to, how much practice went on before the actual performance? That's not stuff that you can just get up there and play without needing some sort of rehersal, right?

Eric & Connor played at least some of that material with The Shattered Fortress, so they were starting from a pretty good foundation.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #747 on: February 11, 2019, 08:42:23 AM »

Eric & Connor played at least some of that material with The Shattered Fortress, so they were starting from a pretty good foundation.

True. I was thinking from an MP & JR perspective.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: February 11, 2019, 09:19:03 AM »

The thing about JR and MP is that they both (along with JP, from what I've heard) have incredible photographic memories when it comes to all that. It's crazy. I am sure they ran through it a couple times, but I highly doubt they needed to over-rehearse. That's the difference between those guys, and all of us other hacks.  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #749 on: February 11, 2019, 09:21:51 AM »
I went to see the Neal Morse Band show Saturday night in Orlando, I've never done a meet and greet before in my life so thought why not meet the band and get to meet a musical hero of the past 27 years.

I honestly was not expecting to get star struck, nervous or just plain brain dead. I've seen many other celebrities up close and spoken with them so I figured I'd be fine. As soon as I saw MP at the meet and greet table I froze and my brain broke. I probably said stupid nonsensical shit which I'm sure made him roll his eyes and facepalm internally. I know MP has dealt with a million of my types and probably cringed on the surface but the man was super gracious and made small talk and joked about a few things. If anyone has watched the Ratatouille movie where Anton Ego goes back to his childhood when tasting the final dish, that was me being transported back in time to being a 16 year old when I would listen to Images and Words back to back endlessly. Finally getting to meet him in person some 27 years later and still have the same musical affection & respect for him even after all this time wasn't something I thought I would have.
His work has essentially been the soundtrack to my life and meeting my musical idol is a moment I am never going to forget.

MP has always been an inspiration to me regardless of what bands he's playing in. I got a few sentimental things signed by him and was on cloud nine the entire evening and am still so giddy thinking about that meet and greet.
Did I mention MP was sick as a dog that day too? You would have never guessed it from his playing that night. He was his usual amazing transcendent self on the drums and didn't miss a beat. He even sang with a frog in his throat.

I only wish I had made more of an effort to see him live with his other bands when they came close but this would only be my second time watching him since the Train of Thought tour in London back in 2004 when they did the Evening with tour. Since I have countless DVDs and Blu-rays of concerts and other live releases that include MP, I figured they sorta make up for seeing him in person. It really is not the case, the guy is a joy to watch live and up close.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: February 11, 2019, 09:36:53 AM »

The thing about JR and MP is that they both (along with JP, from what I've heard) have incredible photographic memories when it comes to all that. It's crazy. I am sure they ran through it a couple times, but I highly doubt they needed to over-rehearse. That's the difference between those guys, and all of us other hacks.  :lol

As an aside, that's probably the thing that impresses me the most about MP, JR, Neal, and the musicians that sort of populate this world.  For the life of me, I don't know how they do that. I get that it's their jobs and all, but still.  For the longest time, I tried to have about four or five songs always fresh in case I was with a friend and wanted to jam, or at a party with a guitar, what not, and now that I'm rarely presented with that opportunity anymore, I find even four or five songs slip away pretty quickly. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #751 on: February 11, 2019, 09:41:49 AM »
Part of it is probably muscle memory. I remember Geddy Lee once saying that songs Rush always played were just so ingrained in his head that he could pick up his bass and just know how to play with them without thinking about it, and my guess is that most of the songs used in the Instrumedley fall under that umbrella for both Rudess and Portnoy.  And because he often uses sheet music as a guide, I am guessing Rudess still had the exact order of the Instrumedley saved (I am guessing he saves everything they ever play live so if they ever play it again, he has it), so that came in handy for all four guys who played it this time around.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #752 on: February 11, 2019, 09:58:41 AM »
Some of it is muscle memory, and some of it is just freakish musical photographic memory.  I'm not sure if Jordan and MP are that way, but I have heard JP described that way by members of the band and others.  That's where, for example, the story came from about when they were getting ready to tour with Queensryche and were discussing what songs to play, and someone in DT was suggesting some really old stuff that QR hadn't played in a long time.  Michael Wilton said he wasn't sure if he could even go back and figure out how to play it because it had been so long, and as the story goes, JP picks up a guitar and says, "Oh, I remember how it goes--here, let me show you," and proceeds to play both guitar parts for him.  :lol  From what I've heard, he has just always been able to do that.  He doesn't remember everything.  But he remembers a LOT. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #753 on: February 11, 2019, 10:09:16 AM »
Another thing is that most people don't get the opportunity to do a world tour and play a setlist of songs maybe a 100 times or something. When you do that songs get ingrained into your memory more than any other type of practice or learning method.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: February 11, 2019, 10:10:02 AM »
Part of it must be muscle memory, but it can't be all of it, because of the number of one-off things they've done. Meaning, the entirety of Deep Purple "Made In Japan" can't all be muscle memory, no matter how many times some of them listened to that record.   

Same with Mike's Yellow Matter Custard gig; that's 80 songs. 80! (Well, 72 to be exact).   I love the Beatles and have listened to some of those records 100's of times, but c'mon.  I might be able to do half that, and with a "hey wait a sec... that's G into C, right?  What about the bridge... E?" in there, but we're talking nothing more than "One, two, three, four!". 

EDIT:  And of course, there are techniques to memorizing this stuff that I'm sure they have encountered at some point in their career, be it at Berkely or otherwise.  I still find it amazing though.  :)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #755 on: February 11, 2019, 10:57:17 AM »
Yea I would guess they mailed eachother a couple of weeks in advance and then each of them practiced by themself and then did a run through in a dressing room before the gig. I highly doubt they decided to play that the first time they met on the cruise.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #756 on: February 11, 2019, 11:04:46 AM »
Here's my educated guess:  I think they all just practiced it on their own, and then maybe did a run-through or two in one of the practice rooms on the ship.  These guys are all very accomplished musicians, and two of them have played this specific medley a LOT of times before.  And the other two have no doubt played parts of it and are more than capable of figuring out the whole thing.  Remember the DT drummer auditions?  I think they said of Mangini, Wildoer, and Minneman that the performances were so good that they could have gone onstage and played those three songs.  They hadn't rehearsed together before the auditions.  It was just a matter of practicing and learning the material.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: February 11, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »
Plus there's a DVD where you can (with the bonus feautres) single out any one of them to watch, and potentially learn from if you were trying to figure out how to play it and get the timing right.  At the end of the day, these guys are all top notch musicians and it shows how they are able to do this so well.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #758 on: March 01, 2019, 01:16:04 PM »
I already shared this on the Neal Morse thread, but here it is, an interview I did with all members of the Neal Morse Band, including MP. And there's a comment he made about The Shattered Fortress which made me believe we might see a release of one of their shows in the future:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-the-neal-morse-band/?fbclid=IwAR35d3Z3lca3j4Gb0mJLo-y5_cReSBjuLj-6nqn4thEUL6US7Z5voU4u5fA

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #759 on: March 04, 2019, 01:12:05 PM »
Mike just shared the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvMl9VJiNIo

Looks like the PAN ROCKS! Project he recorded on last November is getting released as a 3-song EP this Friday (on iTunes, Amazon, etc.). I remember seeing short clips of this that Mike posted last year, thinking it was pretty cool there was a 50-piece steel pan orchestra playing RUSH songs! I wonder what the other two songs were...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: March 04, 2019, 08:06:44 PM »
I HATE that sound; I mean HATE it (ruins Jane Says and Love The One You're With is almost unlistenable to me).  But that was really really cool.  For some reason I liked that. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #761 on: March 04, 2019, 09:52:45 PM »
I HATE that sound; I mean HATE it (ruins Jane Says and Love The One You're With is almost unlistenable to me).  But that was really really cool.  For some reason I liked that.

Yeah, that kind of sound should only be used in Adam Sandler comedies where the main character ends up in Jamaica. But this version was REALLY cool!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #762 on: March 10, 2019, 05:51:30 PM »
Mike just shared the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvMl9VJiNIo

Looks like the PAN ROCKS! Project he recorded on last November is getting released as a 3-song EP this Friday (on iTunes, Amazon, etc.). I remember seeing short clips of this that Mike posted last year, thinking it was pretty cool there was a 50-piece steel pan orchestra playing RUSH songs! I wonder what the other two songs were...

-Marc.

I'd get this if it were a CD (which it probably isn't.)

Have to admit that I expected to hear more steel drums (Isn't that really the point?) I guess that's an arrangement criticism.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #764 on: March 16, 2019, 07:49:03 PM »
WOW!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #765 on: March 16, 2019, 08:24:05 PM »
Siamese monster up for auction

https://www.backstageauctions.com/catalog/1004-dream-theater-mike-portnoy-2002---2004-album-tour-used-siamese-monster-tama-drum-kit/ai/0/29499/

This is a listing from a few years ago. Mike did a big auction of many things from his house, including a few kits IIRC. He auctioned *ONE* of his Siamese Monster kits, as he actually had three. I asked him about this on twitter a couple years ago (https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/status/816398415835885568).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #766 on: March 16, 2019, 08:46:21 PM »
I do remember that one but I think it's another listing.

This guy, David Frangioni, apparently bought a few sets, including MP's, Terry Bozzio, Eric Singer, among others...

https://www.backstageauctions.com/catalog/drum-kits/ac/0/1375/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:02:03 PM by goo-goo »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #767 on: March 16, 2019, 08:57:26 PM »
I do remember that one but I think it's another listing.

This gym David Frangioni, apparently bought a few sets, including MP's, Terry Bozzio, Eric Singer, among others...

https://www.backstageauctions.com/catalog/drum-kits/ac/0/1375/

Just checked and you're right, it's out for auction again. So, somebody is either getting a new car or a famous drum kit :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."