Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 312251 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2010, 08:51:59 AM »
Ha well in all honesty Mike has always been an attention whore :)
Well yeah, there's no denying that. :lol But still, he's barely posted anything in weeks that wasn't excited, grateful or optimistic sounding, and he makes one post about feeling sad and everyone jumps on him for it. It's like people have nothing better to do than bitch about him.

Absolutely. Like I said, he has been so much better about it the past while. And I understand it's human nature to want to put your feeling out there.

But I think the best thing for him right now is to be 100% quiet on the internet. And I think he knows it too. But he just can't help seeking that attention.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2010, 08:59:26 AM »
As I said earlier, its fine if he wants to post that he's sad and its been a tumultuous year.  I can understand that.  Its the little "the only people you can really trust" passive-aggressive thing that gets on my nerves.  He has been good about keeping the angst off the Internet for a bit (though it seems like just yesterday that he was banning discussion of the JLB tour from his site), and I guess its just that disappointed feeling after a relapse or something.  I dunno.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »
 :chill

Hope Mike doesn't resort to the grog. . .

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2010, 12:04:28 PM »
as always I wish Mike happiness.. he's a good guy.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2010, 02:00:02 PM »
Personally I always felt that he was sort of one too.  Just one of his faults.  He's a very spirited and emotional man, and that can some times lead to be the reason that he attracts and generates negative attention like this, but that is also the reason we still love him so much. 

I do think he is acting very childish here though.  His temper is obviously still flaring (for a reason, I'm sure) and he should stay off the internet until it has simmered down.
Every single word of this.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2010, 06:37:23 PM »
That guy who wrote an open letter to Mike finally got banned. The thing that's interesting about it is Wey posted something about Mike's stress and how we have "no idea" until he tells us, but he also said it's not about sobriety or any family issues.

I really hope things haven't hit rock bottom with DT or A7X.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2010, 06:59:07 PM »
Wasn't that open letter posted over a month ago?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2010, 07:35:30 PM »
Yeah, but the guy has basically made it a point to try and bait Mike's attention (again) pretty much every chance since Mike responded the final time.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2010, 01:27:55 PM »
What letter/guy?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2010, 02:02:29 PM »
The announcement, he's deleting all his social connection accounts. That's what he really needs to do to keep his stress from affecting his health. All he did was post that he was sad, and felt like saying thanks to his family since it really is true all you can count on is family.

He went through a lot. His Dad recently passed away and its probably hitting him now that he has no parents, no mom or dad to put your shoulder on, and while he went back home to the real life had time to think about things, it hit him hard. The tour with Maiden most likely didn't help at all, thats why he felt like taking a break you know, to ease his mind, he didn't feel like dealing with he does for DT for a bit, the others guys didn't want to, he said I need this for me, and said he was gonna leave for a while. He didn't quit he had no choice but to leave. Thats his compromise. His touring with Avenged wasn't bad per-se as he just drummed. He most likely had a great amazing time and now its gonna be over.

Thats all what it seems like to me, he's just stressed from all the work he's put out. For us the fans, and I appreciate all he does. No other band can you find official bootlegs. I wish him the best and glad he has something to do in the meantime to help him, Drumming for projects.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2010, 06:37:34 PM »
No other band can you find official bootlegs.

Metallica.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2010, 06:42:57 PM »
No other band can you find official bootlegs.

Metallica.

Pearl Jam also have more than a few.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2010, 07:02:03 PM »
I personally hope he'll come back into DT at some point. Since a few years I'm not that 'DT fanatic' anymore, but I still like to listen to their records from time to time. If they visit Holland, I'm always going. I like SC and BSCL, but not nearly as much as anything pre-ToT. The band has grown into an 'old band' for me, in a way. I'll always love them the most for their old work.

And with that, I care for them with MP on drums. Don't like the recent output incredibly much, so IF there's a DT I'm diggin', it better be with MP. I really like his stage presence and everything, and he's just a great rock/metal drummer.

Even if the new DT album is very good, it's just not DT in my eyes. The ONLY good thing that will come from it are the absence of things like 'EVERYONE SURVIVED.. WHAAAARGH' and 'INVENTORY!'. Though that's fun, in a way, too. I really like modern DT, but it feels a bit 'lighter' for me, less meaningful in the darker, heavy songs. Whereas with 'The Mirror' or any early heavy DT song, I really feel the emotion. But circus-y DT is fine, too. Just WITH MP please.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2010, 06:12:24 AM »
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
I posted this in the Sevenfold thread too, but it could be MP related. From A7Xs Facebook page.

Avenged Sevenfold regretfully announce they will not be performing at the upcoming Soundwave in Australia. After much effort, the band decided that they could not offer fans the live experience they have come to expect and didn’t want to disappoint them. Avenged Sevenfold will return to Australia soon to headline their own tour. 

I think that bolded part insinuates that MP may be out

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2010, 09:56:12 AM »
It's weird...why now? why not after that austraalian show?

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2010, 09:58:52 AM »
It's weird...why now? why not after that austraalian show?

he's wasted in a ditch somewhere, that's why.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »
Those dates are later in the year. They still have a big US run next month, so I don't see Mike departing being the reason they'd pull out of an Australian date many months down the line. They stated they will do there own run. Obviously there's more money to be made on a solo run as apposed to being part of a festival.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2010, 11:09:01 AM »
I think Mike Portnoy never really existed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:31:42 AM by Gorille85 »

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2010, 11:36:05 AM »
Well, that explains...       

:huh:

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »
FROM MP'S FACEBOOK

Yes, the rumours are true...sadly my time with Avenged Sevenfold has come to an end...

The band has decided to carry on into 2011 without me...I had a great time with them throughout 2010, but it was their choice to end the relationship at the end of 2010 as was always the initial plan....

I had an awesome time on stage with the guys every night and have so many cool memories from the experience with them...I am proud to always be part of the A7X family and history.

I also adore the A7X fans and totally appreciate the way they welcomed me aboard and were so loving and supportive during my time with the band...thank you!

As far as my future, I am excited by the endless musical possibilities that lie ahead of me...my love for music runs very deep and my taste is very broad and ecclectic which will give me the chance to explore many different things and collaborate with many great friends and artists I admire and respect...

Happy Holidaze to you all and c-ya in the New Year,
MP
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:06:09 PM by ariich »

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2010, 12:49:05 PM »
You know I bet they didn't want DT fans to associate them with him leaving anymore.

Internet is deadly stay away.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2010, 12:52:04 PM »
Interesting.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2010, 12:55:45 PM »
Sounds like he doesn't intend to join any one band as a full-time gig but to take part in lots of different projects, which could be a really good thing!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2010, 12:56:34 PM »
Sounds like he doesn't intend to join any one band as a full-time gig but to take part in lots of different projects, which could be a really good thing!

Well he's already got at LEAST two on his plate...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2010, 01:07:44 PM »
Here's to great music to be heard from MP

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2010, 01:24:49 PM »
A7X shouldn't give a shit about DT fans, especially the DT fans who blame A7X for him leaving, because they're the ones who are all "there's no way MP can like this shit!"

Sucks to hear about MP & A7X now, but oh well.  Now we can look forward to Morse/Morse/LaRue/Portnoy!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2010, 01:41:26 PM »
Thanks for all you did with A7X, Mike! You really kept the guys from going down under and it's sad to hear that your time has come to an end with them. I'm sure you'll all get together sometime again in the future!

Looking forward to the future, I'm sure great music is soon to be heard!

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2010, 02:12:53 PM »
Because he has such great connections, he should release a solo album with some awesome guest appearances.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2010, 02:41:21 PM »
Because he has such great connections, he should release a solo album with some awesome guest appearances.

Yeah.  Guest vocalists, in particular. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2010, 03:04:20 PM »

Yeah.  Guest vocalists, in particular. 

I'd be all for that but Mike doesn't WRITE music...he takes it and arranges it, like with DT/LTE/TA. I think he'd have to work with someone who writes a lot of music so as to set aside some of it for a project devoted to MP (someone like Neal Morse or even Roine Stolt, both very prolific writers). Fortunately, he's already doing two projects with Neal, so he'll probably be pretty busy with those in the coming weeks/months.

As for anything else, he'd probably love to do another cover-band project with Paul Gilbert, or even reunite one of his prior ones (Yellow Matter Custard anyone? There's SOOO many Beatles songs he could play that DIDN'T make it to the first tour/show).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2010, 03:27:19 PM »
Well the writer and the vocalist don't have to be the same person.  He could involve himself with a really talented vocalist, either one well known among the community or one with less exposure, and then enlist as many guitarist/keyboards/songwriters as he needs.  As someone said earlier, he has the connections. Nonetheless, I think there is still a big part of Portnoy that wants to be a band leader.  I would have been surprised if Avenged Sevenfold had worked out, because Portnoy is such an alpha dog.  Maybe he'll form his own full time band instead, I'm sure he would have plenty of talent waiting to sign up!

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2010, 05:30:42 PM »
Finally.