Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313789 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #665 on: February 08, 2019, 09:48:06 AM »
But, yes, I was referring to his conduct afterward, and only his public conduct at that.  We don't know anything about what was said or done privately.

And this is exactly what I was saying. Never in all these years any of the DT members has spoken negatively of Mike in any way (again, publicly) and that incident with James' comments was taken out of context, he later clarified what he meant. Mike, instead, has said a lot of negative things in social media about them. I just don't think he deserves a free pass only because he's friends with Jordan and John again.

I don't believe you and Bosk ARE saying the same thing.   You're apologizing for James' comments and castigating Mike for his.   You haven't even HINTED at what might, or might not, have been said behind the scenes (as Bosk did).   FACT IS: Petrucci rarely if ever took any shots at Mike, and vice versa.    LaBrie - whether he walked them back or not isn't relevant - did, as did Mike in return.    Rudess NEVER (to my knowledge) took any shots at Mike, and vice versa (to my knowledge).  I think the Myung/Portnoy relationship has only been hinted at, but the only shot I know of was perceived and a matter of personal interpretation (the "list" of favorite bass players that didn't include Myung).  There IS a fundamental difference here that very few people have ever acknowledged:  there is an entity  - "Dream Theater" - that is the collective mindset of several men (including non-band members) that Mike also took shots at.  To say that any one individual in that band are therefore "classy" or "above the fray" because they didn't counter with a personal shot against Mike isn't really apples to apples.   

The other thing I will say is that the role of "extracurricular" has to go both ways.  I don't really care about the personal stuff; I don't spend a lot of time wishing for what could be.  Mike's out, so be it, that's the world we live in. But I've been pretty vocal that it's NOT the same Dream Theater.  I was watching some of the DVDs (the commentaries) and it was so nostalgic for me; talking about the fan club shows, the acoustic stuff, debating medleys, talking setlists, talking venues, counting off the cover shows done (and hinting at future ones), talking about "getting footage out there in some form or fashion (i.e. Yste Jam Records).  It was magical.  I don't feel that anymore.  If you're going to take the position that Mike's behavior is enough to turn you off to his music and "sour" you to the man, then I think it's only fair to acknowledge that for some, it's NOT the same band and won't (likely) be, regardless of how many free downloads there are or how many NSA ciphers are used to announce the new album.    That doesn't necessarily mean that those people are sitting there, praying the Rosary for Mike to rejoin (even if he did, it won't ever be the same, IMO).   Time passes, time moves on, and things change.   There are 20, 30, maybe more bands that I'm just not as into now as much as I was at some point in the past.   It's life. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #666 on: February 08, 2019, 02:51:51 PM »
Stadler, unless I'm forgetting something, I think you're dead wrong about James taking shots at Mike.  I don't remember any such thing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #667 on: February 08, 2019, 03:23:41 PM »
Stadler, unless I'm forgetting something, I think you're dead wrong about James taking shots at Mike.  I don't remember any such thing.

Ugh, how about the "we don't miss him at all" shot, and "we're all happy" knock? This forum is SO ONE SIDED! :loser:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #668 on: February 08, 2019, 03:30:04 PM »
I don't think you understand what a "shot" is then.  If you don't know what words mean, then I suggest not commenting.

And the next time you refer to this forum as losers, I will take that as your indication that you don't want to be part of this community, and I will help make sure that happens.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: February 08, 2019, 03:30:50 PM »
Not sure if kidding, but some of that is just good PR. No band member is going to come out and say "Yeah, we miss the guy who quit the band, we're terribly sad about it, we don't know how we can carry on. But please buy our latest album!"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #670 on: February 08, 2019, 03:42:23 PM »

What I remember was an interview in which James said he was "not sad at all" about MP's departure and that the band was excited about the next chapter.  He got a lot of heat about that (in no small part because it was reported out of context), and I believe that generated some sort of snarky comment from MP.  That's hardly "taking shots at Mike," but I think some folks construed it that way.

I think there a few other comments that some folks intentionally construed in a way that they came across like "taking shots."  For example, I seem to recall a comment about how the atmosphere in the studio -- and particularly with respect to recording vocals -- was different and James liked that.  That was construed (in my opinion deliberately misconstrued) as being the equivalent of "MP was a little Hitler in the studio."

At some point, MP made a statement to the effect that he'd rejoin DT in a heartbeat.  Someone then asked James about that, and he shot it down -- not because he didn't like MP or think he was a good drummer, but simply because MM was now the band's drummer.  Again, some folks misconstrued this as a "shot" at MP, even thought it wasn't.

So, yeah, I don't recall James ever truly taking a "shot" at MP.  All of the "shots" I recall originated from MP.  They were plentiful and, generally, went without retort from DT or any member.

Ugh, how about the "we don't miss him at all" shot, and "we're all happy" knock? This forum is SO ONE SIDED! :loser:

When did anyone say, "we don't miss him at all"?  Sounds a little bit like the "I'm not sad at all" interview, which you can read here (along with some subsequent clarification from JLB):  http://bravewords.com/news/dream-theater-vocalist-james-labrie-responds-to-accusations-of-being-insensitive-regarding-drummer-mike-portnoys-departure

Having he exact words of that interview, how is it that you think it's a "shot" at MP?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #671 on: February 08, 2019, 03:57:08 PM »
I think there a few other comments that some folks intentionally construed in a way that they came across like "taking shots."  For example, I seem to recall a comment about how the atmosphere in the studio -- and particularly with respect to recording vocals -- was different and James liked that.  That was construed (in my opinion deliberately misconstrued) as being the equivalent of "MP was a little Hitler in the studio."
If the tables were turned and MP said "it was a little different in the studio, particularly with the vocals, and it was really cool," it would be characterized as a shot of Ivy Mike proportions. To be clear, I'm not calling what JLB did a shot. Just pointing out that there are very different, very subjective standards at work when discussing this.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #672 on: February 08, 2019, 03:59:00 PM »
If the tables were turned and MP said "it was a little different in the studio, particularly with the vocals, and it was really cool," it would be characterized as a shot of Ivy Mike proportions. To be clear, I'm not calling what JLB did a shot. Just pointing out that there are very different, very subjective standards at work when discussing this.

There shouldn't be different standards.  And, for the record, I've taken a LOT of heat here for vociferously defending Mike for making comments that are pretty much the equivalent of the hypothetical you posted, and which several people want to call him out for.  And I will continue to do so.

But to be fair to the side that DO criticize him for stuff like that, there is an important distinction.  James has NEVER publicly said anything disparaging about Mike.  Mike HAS several times made openly disparaging comments about James and/or DT.  So when a comment from either side is vague, I don't think it is unfair to give the one side that has never made disparaging comments, and be much less willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the side that has.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #673 on: February 08, 2019, 04:15:41 PM »
I also think we have to take it in context.   Mike was hard on James and his vocals and openly talked about James style not fitting to where he wanted DT musically to go.

I can see James having a hair across his ass 8 years ago.  Not so much now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #674 on: February 08, 2019, 04:17:09 PM »
I can see James having a hair across his ass

Can you stop speaking King for a second and translate that into English?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: February 08, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »
You've never heard that phrase? I'm shocked?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #676 on: February 08, 2019, 04:30:41 PM »
I never heard of that phrase before and I think I have a good idea what that means.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: February 08, 2019, 04:31:50 PM »
I've heard it as having a wild hair up one's ass...

Mike was hard on James and his vocals and openly talked about James style not fitting to where he wanted DT musically to go.

This was really the only thing that irked me. I feel it totally reasonable to address a fellow bandmate's performance if it appears they are not working hard enough, committed enough, practicing enough, or taking care of their instrument (in James case, his voice). But to hire someone based on their style, and then be critical of them if you feel their style doesn't fit your vision any longer is pretty unfair.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #678 on: February 08, 2019, 04:37:39 PM »
Stadler - I know we've talked about this before but I just gotta say - you're wrong about that incident; the "talking a shot and walking it back later" thing.  He didn't walk it back because there was nothing to walk back.  I'm pretty sure you acknowledged that you never listened to that interview.  If you had, you probably wouldn't be saying that.  I did listen to it - pretty much right away and nothing it it at all made me me think that James was taking a shot at Mike or even being slightly disrespectful to him.  You had to hear it in context.  When Blabbermouth posted the headline they did and people started talking about it and MP made a big thing about it - the interviewer posted on Mike's forum to say pretty much exactly what I just said - everyone was very respectful of MP and you have to listen to the actual interview.  If you want me to try to find a link and see if the interview is still out there I can, because I really don't think you'd be saying what you do about James taking a shot and walking it back if you had heard it.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #679 on: February 08, 2019, 05:55:10 PM »
I don't think you understand what a "shot" is then.  If you don't know what words mean, then I suggest not commenting.

And the next time you refer to this forum as losers, I will take that as your indication that you don't want to be part of this community, and I will help make sure that happens.

BRING IT! :loser:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: February 08, 2019, 06:07:02 PM »
Are you stupid? See you later pal.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: February 08, 2019, 06:08:07 PM »
 :facepalm:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #682 on: February 08, 2019, 06:33:00 PM »

What a night!!!! My very special MP & Friends Set aboard Cruise To The Edge was such a blast!! The set was 1/3 Flying Colors, 1/3 Transatlantic and 1/3 Dream Theater/LTE...here’s a shot backstage before the show began! LOTS more pics and videos to come...

Mike just posted this on Facebook about 28 minutes ago. AMAZING picture, loads of talent right there!!! Can't wait to see what they played! Looks like he had all members of Flying Colors and the Neal Morse Band with him, as well as 4/5ths of the last touring version of Transatlantic (with Ted present, but not Pete), and who I assume to be the bassist from Haken in the back (not good with their names or faces), probably playing the DT/LTE set with Eric and Jordan (though I wonder who sang, if they played any songs with lyrics that is).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: February 08, 2019, 06:50:23 PM »
From the picture above:

Eric Gillette, Dave LaRue, Jordan Rudess, Ted Leonard, Bill Hubauer, Conner Green, Casey McPherson, Steve Morse, Randy George, Neal Morse, Roine Stolt, y el loco eco loco Mike Portnoy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #684 on: February 08, 2019, 06:52:52 PM »
That is an awful lot of talent in one picture. :hat

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: February 08, 2019, 06:54:11 PM »
The Prog Report said over FB that the instrumedley was recorded and they will share the video “soon”

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: February 08, 2019, 07:35:44 PM »
Boy, Nick will have  lot to report from this cruise.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #687 on: February 08, 2019, 08:17:14 PM »
Had a feeling that Jordan was going to be part of the MP & friends set. With Mike playing with Jordan again and hanging out with JP recently, I still have hope for a future LTE reunion and hopefully new album.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #688 on: February 08, 2019, 09:10:15 PM »

I don’t think that was a shot at all. Mike leaving DT was a huge deal and the band had to let fans know they were excited about the future of the band without Mike and I think that’s what James was doing. There was one comment I recall James saying after MM joined the band that might be taken as a shot how it was nice having a drummer who wasn’t trying to be the front man, but I think that was in retaliation to a lot of nasty things Mike was saying about him at the time so I kind of give James a pass for that one.

From everything I’ve seen though, DT have been very professional since Mike left whereas Mike has definitely let his emotions get the best of him at times.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #689 on: February 08, 2019, 09:24:37 PM »
Why would anyone on this planet want an LTE3? You know it’s not going to have the same vibe as before and feel completely out of place with their prior albums.

I'd love one, but it's unlikely at best.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #690 on: February 08, 2019, 09:29:32 PM »
From the picture above:

Eric Gillette, Dave LaRue, Jordan Rudess, Ted Leonard, Bill Hubauer, Conner Green, Casey McPherson, Steve Morse, Randy George, Neal Morse, Roine Stolt, y el loco eco loco Mike Portnoy
Neal Morse grew a beard?  Good grief!    😧
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #691 on: February 08, 2019, 09:37:07 PM »
From the picture above:

Was just about to say that.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #692 on: February 08, 2019, 09:54:37 PM »
From the picture above:

Was just about to say that.

The word out there is that they're changing the Neal Morse Band name to Neal's Beard after this tour.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: February 08, 2019, 10:07:26 PM »
That's an awesome picture but each time I look at it, I think MP is in a wheelchair  :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #694 on: February 08, 2019, 10:17:44 PM »
What a night!!!! My very special MP & Friends Set aboard Cruise To The Edge was such a blast!! The set was 1/3 Flying Colors, 1/3 Transatlantic and 1/3 Dream Theater/LTE...here’s a shot backstage before the show began! LOTS more pics and videos to come...

Hasn't Mike said that "Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress" would be the last chance to see him playing DT's music?

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #695 on: February 08, 2019, 10:18:42 PM »
Neal's Beard  :biggrin:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #696 on: February 08, 2019, 10:56:25 PM »
Here's a fun game - create a NEW band using 4 or 5 of the guys in the picture above, but you cannot have Neal & Mike together (cuz let's face it, they've already done that). So, if you need a drummer, Eric works, as does Neal (he CAN play drums, after all).

Was just thinking of this fun "game" as I noticed that many of them are multi-instrumentalists and/or vocalists, like Eric, Neal, Roine, Ted, Bill, and Casey. You could create dozens of super-groups of these guys, but what kind of combinations would you want to see?

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Eric on drums, Roine on guitar, Connor on bass, Bill on keys, and Ted on vocals. That'd be a fun mashup of talents!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: February 08, 2019, 11:03:05 PM »
What a lovely picture that is. Didn't recognise Neal Morse.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DT2003

« Reply #698 on: February 09, 2019, 01:01:13 AM »
From the picture above:

I actually think the beard suits him well. Maybe I’m biased as I am sporting my winter beard, but I think Neal looks good.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 11:20:01 AM by DT2003 »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #699 on: February 09, 2019, 04:52:23 AM »
I think Neal looks cooler as the clean cut front man.  I hope that this is just a one time 'hey, I'm going on a cruise thing'  and then shaves it off for the tour afterwards..  After all, he does have an image to uphold.. 
Neal with a beard, looks weird!  :lol :facepalm:

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP