Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313730 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #630 on: February 06, 2019, 08:50:46 AM »
Well, sure.  But those fans who post that way on social media are likewise inviting others to post about how dumb they are.

Boom. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #631 on: February 06, 2019, 09:08:33 AM »
Well, sure.  But those fans who post that way on social media are likewise inviting others to post about how dumb they are.

That goes without saying.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #632 on: February 06, 2019, 09:11:09 AM »

Boom.

Sounds like Stadler is supporting social bullying. Hmmm.  :P
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #633 on: February 06, 2019, 09:57:18 AM »
I think MP is doing an "MP & Friends" set at the cruise and it's pretty safe to say Jordan will probably play one or two songs with him.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: February 06, 2019, 10:13:41 AM »

Boom.

Not at all; just the opposite.  BUT, while I object to social media in general - I'd scrap the whole shooting match myself; I have a huge problem with this notion that "because I have an opinion, it's therefore worthy of the entire world being subjected to it" in the first place - I'm clearly in the minority and the world seems to have embraced it as a means of creating division and expressing power/leverage.  In THAT context, what's good for the goose... 

Offline DTA

« Reply #635 on: February 06, 2019, 10:16:46 AM »
Why would anyone on this planet want an LTE3? You know it’s not going to have the same vibe as before and feel completely out of place with their prior albums.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #636 on: February 06, 2019, 10:52:17 AM »
I'm just happy they hung out and enjoyed a meal together.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #637 on: February 06, 2019, 11:38:27 AM »

Boom.

I, Stadler Stadlerson, fully endorse bullying on social media.

Gotcha.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: February 06, 2019, 12:23:36 PM »

Boom.

I, Stadler Stadlerson, fully endorse bullying on social media.

Gotcha.

That's hateful.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #639 on: February 06, 2019, 04:06:42 PM »
I think MP is doing an "MP & Friends" set at the cruise and it's pretty safe to say Jordan will probably play one or two songs with him.

Ehhhh, I'm not saying it won't happen but I bet that would invite even more OMG LTEDTPLZZZZ posts. Even though playing together again would be cool, business-wise it's not the best idea. DT is still a business after all.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #640 on: February 07, 2019, 02:39:42 AM »
Why would anyone on this planet want an LTE3? You know it’s not going to have the same vibe as before and feel completely out of place with their prior albums.

You sound like you already received your promo copy.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #641 on: February 07, 2019, 05:35:42 AM »

Ehhhh, I'm not saying it won't happen but I bet that would invite even more OMG LTEDTPLZZZZ posts. Even though playing together again would be cool, business-wise it's not the best idea. DT is still a business after all.

Oh, definitely, but they’ll still post that either way. All these LTE 3 posts are completely unnecesary, but at least they’re better than “OMG COME BACK TO DT, MANGINI SUCKS, NO SOUL IN DT NOW LOLZ #TEAMMIKE #MPWARRIORS”.

I wish Jordan doesn’t do it (guest at MP’s show), but all I said is that it is very likely to happen.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #643 on: February 07, 2019, 08:32:24 AM »
"People will say, 'Oh my God! DREAM THEATER is gonna have Portnoy back in the band.' That's not what it's about," Rudess added. "This is about people and people who spent a lot of time together being able to be close together and be friends."

So simple, and yet so difficult to understand for many  :D

Rudess acknowledged that some of his other DREAM THEATER bandmates have "their own feelings" about maintaining a connection with their former drummer. "But Mike and I enjoyed hanging out and chatting about old times and all the stuff," he said. "So it was really cool."

I wonder who he's referring to............  ::)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #644 on: February 07, 2019, 08:38:42 AM »
I think he's referring to all of them.  They each have a different connection with Mike, and different ways and different degrees of maintaining that connection.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #645 on: February 07, 2019, 08:58:43 AM »
I think it is unfair to say that Portnoy and the band engaged in a public war of words.  Aside from JLB saying a few things in an interview (that were nothing compared to what was coming from the other side), what did the band ever say that could be construed as a "war of words"?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: February 07, 2019, 09:25:41 AM »
I think it is unfair to say that Portnoy and the band engaged in a public war of words.  Aside from JLB saying a few things in an interview (that were nothing compared to what was coming from the other side), what did the band ever say that could be construed as a "war of words"?

I personally feel like James absolutely gave as good as he got over the years, and made clear his position on the transition, but that's neither here, nor there.

Having said that, though, I think we have a series of photos and statements that have established a connection between Jordan and John Petrucci and Mike, and we have various oblique (and not so oblique) statements over the years that show very little connection (if any) between John Myung and James and Mike. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #647 on: February 07, 2019, 09:40:12 AM »

...and this was only after James was asked in an interview and he answered honestly and inoffensively. Mike was the one that actually did go out of his way to comment about things on his message board and facebook etc. Hell he even commented on Charlie Dominici's facebook about the rest of the DT guys not knowing that the logo has changed over the years. Backhanded stuff all over.

Mike has finally toned it down (after many false starts) and things have been much better. In fact, James has actually said a lot of nice things about Mike's time in the band since then. Not really vice versa but whatever.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: February 07, 2019, 10:50:54 AM »
Time heals wounds, it's just nice go see these guys be friendly again. Maybe JLB and JM can also restore their friendship with MP over more time.  JR really said some good stuff about just being humans and having experiences together. That's good stuff.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #649 on: February 07, 2019, 12:56:20 PM »
I don’t really see how this is good, though. Call me pessimist or whatever, but I just don’t like this. Mike and Jordan hanging out is great, they’re good friends after all, but I don’t like that Mike never EVER admits he’s been wrong about something. As Kev said, this was never a “war of words”, it was Mike saying whatever he wanted and DT being a class act and never saying anything about it, at least not publicly. I feel like these situations only help reinforce Mike’s idea that he can say whatever the hell he wants and that it’s fine because he’s good friends with a couple of the guys, indirectly shifting the blame to the others who aren’t in really good terms with him. I’d love to see him apologizing for once.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #650 on: February 07, 2019, 03:33:52 PM »
I don’t really see how this is good, though. Call me pessimist or whatever, but I just don’t like this. Mike and Jordan hanging out is great, they’re good friends after all, but I don’t like that Mike never EVER admits he’s been wrong about something. As Kev said, this was never a “war of words”, it was Mike saying whatever he wanted and DT being a class act and never saying anything about it, at least not publicly. I feel like these situations only help reinforce Mike’s idea that he can say whatever the hell he wants and that it’s fine because he’s good friends with a couple of the guys, indirectly shifting the blame to the others who aren’t in really good terms with him. I’d love to see him apologizing for once.
The ONLY thing MP "might" have to apologize to DT is for quitting the band. It was obviously hard on them and I could completely understand. Aside from that, he has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to "apologize" for. He made a personal decision for himself and in hindsight, I for one, think he absolutely made the right decision.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #651 on: February 07, 2019, 03:35:16 PM »
Couple of quick notes. During his show Jordan specifically mentioned when the time is right LTE 3 is something the guys would like to do.

I know at least two of the surprises during the MP set and am very happy with them. Hopefully good video will be taken, and I'm fairly confident it will.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #652 on: February 07, 2019, 03:42:07 PM »
The ONLY thing MP "might" have to apologize to DT is for quitting the band. It was obviously hard on them and I could completely understand. Aside from that, he has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to "apologize" for. He made a personal decision for himself and in hindsight, I for one, think he absolutely made the right decision.

this is a classic type of response from the crowd that likes to enable his bad behavior.  But there are many that choose not to overlook the things he has said and done since.  And they don't have to turn a blind eye to it if they don't want to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #653 on: February 07, 2019, 03:43:50 PM »

So nobody has to apologise for talking a lot of crap, out of nowhere, of their supposed "friends"? Unless your weren't around for the last 8 years, I'd say you're completely blind to the truth.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #654 on: February 07, 2019, 03:49:38 PM »

this is a classic type of response from the crowd that likes to enable his bad behavior.  But there are many that choose not to overlook the things he has said and done since.  And they don't have to turn a blind eye to it if they don't want to.

I mostly agree with this.  I absolutely agree with As I Am that he made a personal decision for himself - and if he's happy with it, then it was certainly the right decision.  I don't think he needs to apologize to the fans for leaving DT, and he probably doesn't need to apologize to the band either - he probably did when it happened, but even if he didn't, they seemed to be on good terms at the immediate time of the split.  I think what he should apologize for is what came next - his bad behavior as Bosk says.  It would help rebuild some of the goodwill that he lost (among some fans, not all), and that certainly couldn't hurt. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #655 on: February 07, 2019, 03:56:21 PM »
Whether he has anything to apologize to the band for about his leaving, I cannot comment on.  We don't know how much that put them in a bind, timing wise and otherwise.  We just don't know.  But, yes, I was referring to his conduct afterward, and only his public conduct at that.  We don't know anything about what was said or done privately.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #656 on: February 07, 2019, 03:58:17 PM »
People always need to inject their feelings in a band that they love instead of looking forward.   Who cares.  I like Mike's music and I like DT. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #657 on: February 07, 2019, 04:07:14 PM »
But, yes, I was referring to his conduct afterward, and only his public conduct at that.  We don't know anything about what was said or done privately.

And this is exactly what I was saying. Never in all these years any of the DT members has spoken negatively of Mike in any way (again, publicly) and that incident with James' comments was taken out of context, he later clarified what he meant. Mike, instead, has said a lot of negative things in social media about them. I just don't think he deserves a free pass only because he's friends with Jordan and John again.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: February 07, 2019, 04:13:15 PM »
If you haven't figured it out, Mike speaks without thinking about it first.

If the band members have gotten over it, so should you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #659 on: February 07, 2019, 04:26:48 PM »
People always need to inject their feelings in a band that they love instead of looking forward.   Who cares.  I like Mike's music and I like DT. 

Exactly.

If you haven't figured it out, Mike speaks without thinking about it first.

If the band members have gotten over it, so should you.

Pretty sure he is over it.  He was just calling out the ridiculousness of As I Am's post.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: February 07, 2019, 04:56:14 PM »
Sorry.  Generally speaking to all that complain.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #661 on: February 07, 2019, 05:28:12 PM »
I actually disagree with that - "if the band has gotten over it, so should you."  (They don't all seem to have anyway).  Mike's actions have left a bad taste in my mouth, and regardless of his relationship with DT, that taste is still there.  I'm not going to flood his social media with negativity, or call him names and stuff here.  But at the same time, I've become almost completely uninterested in his musical offerings.  Maybe I "shouldn't," but that's the way it goes.  Whereas if he hadn't engaged in all of that, I would put it more of an effort.  For example - I didn't like Adrenaline Mob, but I went to the show anyway to support him.  There'd been some shenanigans, but I tried to ignore them and make excuses for why he might be behaving that way.  By the time SoA came along and I didn't like it - that goodwill was long gone; I had no desire to go to a show to support him for a band I didn't like, and my interest in something I do like such as Flying Colors as faded.  Were he to put out an apology, then maybe that would change.  Maybe I'd try harder to keep up with all of his projects.  As it stands now - maybe as more time passes and he doesn't engage in the bad public behavior at all, I'll come around.  Or maybe I won't care about his behavioral anymore but also won't be paying him any attention at all.  He won't care about what one fan does or doesn't do, but I know I'm not the only one and I also know that with the state of the music industry and there being so much out there competing for people's time and money - it might make a small difference.  It certainly wouldn't hurt.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: February 07, 2019, 05:37:13 PM »
I will say that since the SOA initial release, MP has actually been pretty solid.  I can't recall anything he's really said in the last year that turned me off, if anything, he's done a few things that make me appreciate him a bit more.  Not saying that makes all the negative things go away, but it does make me think that maybe, just maybe, MP does recognize that saying certain things does hurt his image and his brand.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: February 07, 2019, 06:13:31 PM »
Idk, I guess I can separate the way he acts to the music he puts out. Mike leaves his heart on his sleeve even though it's always been a bad thing. It's 8 years later. I think it's time for all of us to move on.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: February 07, 2019, 11:31:48 PM »
Idk, I guess I can separate the way he acts to the music he puts out. Mike leaves his heart on his sleeve even though it's always been a bad thing. It's 8 years later. I think it's time for all of us to move on.

Yup. For me, it's so crushingly tedious; the same people making the same points ad infinitum in every thread related to Mike Portnoy, whether 'for' or 'against' (I use the single quote marks deliberately).

I dunno, there's been so much (close) death in my world so far in 2019, it's just encouraged me to take stock. Life is too short to have these never ending circular discussions. No-one in this forum is going to change anyone else's opinion, and all it does is lead to bad blood.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled programme :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)