Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313449 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #595 on: January 08, 2019, 11:54:37 AM »
Starting TODAY: myself, Derek Sherinian and Bumblefoot will begin the writing/recording process for the new Sons Of Apollo album and (along with Billy Sheehan and Jeff Scott Soto) we will continue to work on SOA2 throughout the year for a release towards the end of the year or possibly early 2020 when we will begin touring again...

Yay!  :D  Count me in!

I also will continue work on the SOA Live in Plovdiv release that will be coming out early summer

Yay!  :D  Count me in!

Also in the coming months, work will continue on the new Flying Colors album

Eh, okay, count me in.  :)

The Winery Dogs are Back for a fun run through the States all throughout May!

No thanks.  But good news on the other projects.

[other tour stuff]

Man, I wish!  There is just far too much good live music early this year.  I can't do it all, but wish I could.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #596 on: January 08, 2019, 11:57:29 AM »
Wow, what a lazy guy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #597 on: January 08, 2019, 02:21:51 PM »
Super excited for the next Flying Colors! Feeling optimistic about the next Sons. Meh on Winery Dogs.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: January 08, 2019, 02:24:31 PM »
Im looking forward to seeing the Winery Dogs but that's just a tour, not something that's really new and interesting, just a fun show IMO.  But I am actually looking forward to SOA.  I didn't love the album but I've said it before and I'll say it agian, the potential is there.  They were so good live, if they can just write some better songs they could be really good so I am hoping to see them progress.  I'd love seeing JSS and BF take this to the next level.  The talent certainly is there.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #599 on: January 08, 2019, 03:21:46 PM »
I've been waiting nearly 5 years for FC3 so I am glad that they are FINALLY getting it together and aim for a release this year! The hype is real for this one!

As for SOA2, I haven't really spun the first one very often, but I didn't dislike it, so I think if/when the second one comes out, I'll be more inclined to give their first album more spins before the second one drops.

Also glad to see that Mike was able to bring back TWD for those who enjoy that band. Like with SOA, I didn't dislike them, but I don't listen to that music very often. Maybe they'll record again next year for another EP?

At this rate, he will probably do a tour for FC in the fall, finish SOA2 by year's end for a Winter release, then tour SOA next Winter/Spring, which means he will probably be all booked up through next February/March. That man sure knows how to keep himself busy!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: January 08, 2019, 06:37:43 PM »
Never cared much for the Neal Morse stuff but he is coming here the 24th of February. If tickets are cheap I might just go, maybe it'll click with me live.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #601 on: January 09, 2019, 05:24:32 AM »
Never cared much for the Neal Morse stuff but he is coming here the 24th of February. If tickets are cheap I might just go, maybe it'll click with me live.

Don't miss out on Neal Morse live! It's definitely worth the money.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #602 on: January 09, 2019, 06:50:46 AM »

Don't miss out on Neal Morse live! It's definitely worth the money.

You mean The Neal Morse BAND, right? cause those are very different things. They wrote EQUALLY. it’s a BAND effort. You don’t go see Neal alone. I’M GONNA TELL MIKE ABOUT THIS!

(too lazy to use the green font)  :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #603 on: January 09, 2019, 07:37:12 AM »

I'm loathe to do this, because taste is taste and it's really no one's business what you like or not like.  Having said that, if there's even a glimmer of "like" in there, go, because it's truly a musical extravaganza to see that band.  I was lucky enough to be front row (right in front of Eric) but  even with Mike in the back (who I just love to watch drum) I couldn't take my eyes off Neal.  Keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals... the guy did it all, and even with the talent that was around him on stage, he really stood out and made an impression on me.   

For what that's worth. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #604 on: January 27, 2019, 11:23:13 AM »
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-on-hypothetical-collaboration-with-rushs-geddy-lee-alex-lifeson-i-would-do-it-in-a-heartbeat/

Could you imagine?

They wouldn't do anything under the rush name, but it could be interesting.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #605 on: January 27, 2019, 11:32:07 AM »
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-on-hypothetical-collaboration-with-rushs-geddy-lee-alex-lifeson-i-would-do-it-in-a-heartbeat/

Could you imagine?

If it was under a different name and they did new music, then HECK YEAH!!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: January 27, 2019, 11:47:00 AM »
Mike Portnoy being up for collaborating with other musicians? No way!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #607 on: January 27, 2019, 12:07:31 PM »
Mike Portnoy being up for collaborating with other musicians? No way!

:rollin :rollin :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #608 on: January 27, 2019, 12:11:08 PM »
Is there a rock gig he wouldn't say yes to?  #rhetoricalquestion (for those who feel the need to point out one he wouldn't do :lol)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #609 on: January 27, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »
Is there a rock gig he wouldn't say yes to?  #rhetoricalquestion (for those who feel the need to point out one he wouldn't do :lol)
Well he wouldn't do a gig with my band since we pretty much only play for free beer in these parts. :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Adami

« Reply #610 on: January 27, 2019, 01:05:30 PM »
I hate those articles.

They ask about some random thing, the dude obviously says he would say yes to it, then they make a leading headline where people think it's a possibility.

"Mr. Petrucci, if Neil Peart would come out of retirement and want to play on your solo album, would you say yes?"
"Obviously"

Headline: John Petrucci to work with Neil Peart on new solo album?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #611 on: January 27, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »

"Mr. Petrucci, if Neil Peart would come out of retirement and want to play on your solo album, would you say yes?"
"Obviously"

REALLY?!?!   Right on, this is great!  Hopefully followed by a tour..  :tup :metal :tup :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #612 on: January 27, 2019, 02:52:41 PM »

Could you imagine?

It's such a "nothing" article.  "Hey Mike, if the opportunity presented itself, would you play with Geddy and Alex?"  Ummm...no shit.  As would 95% of drummers who play progressive rock/hard rock/metal.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #613 on: January 27, 2019, 04:36:21 PM »
^^^exactly! Too many fools try to ruin this great performer's reputation. Such a shame. :facepalm:

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #614 on: January 27, 2019, 05:26:16 PM »
^^^exactly! Too many fools try to ruin this great performer's reputation. Such a shame. :facepalm:

How does this ruin his reputation? :huh:

Online Adami

« Reply #615 on: January 27, 2019, 05:26:52 PM »

Huh?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #616 on: January 27, 2019, 05:39:14 PM »

Could you imagine?

It's such a "nothing" article.  "Hey Mike, if the opportunity presented itself, would you play with Geddy and Alex?"  Ummm...no shit.  As would 95% of drummers who play progressive rock/hard rock/metal.

This. They only ask Mike because they know he'd say yes to pretty much every new project ever in the rock/prog/metal world :P

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: January 27, 2019, 06:00:57 PM »
Is there a rock gig he wouldn't say yes to?  #rhetoricalquestion (for those who feel the need to point out one he wouldn't do :lol )

Portnoy - Moore - Tate   :P

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #618 on: January 27, 2019, 06:12:53 PM »
I'm not a blabbermouth fan because it's clickbait with their headlines. Ask any musician if they would like to collaborate with one of their heroes and the answer will always be yes.

Besides, Alex Lifeson is doing a project with Marco Minnemann.

https://www.facebook.com/marco.minnemann.77/posts/10156211147698773

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #619 on: January 27, 2019, 08:58:34 PM »
Is there a rock gig he wouldn't say yes to?  #rhetoricalquestion (for those who feel the need to point out one he wouldn't do :lol )

Portnoy - Moore - Tate   :P

Portnoy - Moore - Tate - Mangini :biggrin:

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #620 on: January 28, 2019, 01:02:38 AM »
I hate those articles.

They ask about some random thing, the dude obviously says he would say yes to it, then they make a leading headline where people think it's a possibility.

"Obviously"

Spot on.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #621 on: January 28, 2019, 01:07:00 PM »
I hate those articles.

"Obviously"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_law_of_headlines
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #622 on: February 02, 2019, 12:06:03 PM »
I'm not a blabbermouth fan because it's clickbait with their headlines. Ask any musician if they would like to collaborate with one of their heroes and the answer will always be yes.

Besides, Alex Lifeson is doing a project with Marco Minnemann.

https://www.facebook.com/marco.minnemann.77/posts/10156211147698773

I'd love an update or two on this.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #623 on: February 02, 2019, 06:16:05 PM »
Don't know if this is the place or not, but I am burning my CDs/DVDs to hard drive to stream in my house, but I'm on Dream Theater now.  Burned all the CDs, all the Xmas CDs, all the YTsejam CDs, and now working on the DVDs (where the audio is different or additional).

My god are they good, and my god was Mike a beast.   A few observations:

- WOW did he look like Max (or rather, does Max look like him); look at the Live In Tokyo disk;
- WOW could James really belt it out.   I don't want to comment on now, nor start a debate, but back then, he was a machine;
- WOW did they seem grounded; I'm listening to the commentary (for dates and locations of the live stuff) and they just seem to be so friendly and comfortable and happy and collaborative and... 

All the reasons I was really into DT and loved them as something more than just an "average" band, but as something special. 

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #624 on: February 02, 2019, 10:10:36 PM »
Don't know if this is the place or not, but I am burning my CDs/DVDs to hard drive to stream in my house, but I'm on Dream Theater now.  Burned all the CDs, all the Xmas CDs, all the YTsejam CDs, and now working on the DVDs (where the audio is different or additional).

My god are they good, and my god was Mike a beast.   A few observations:

- WOW did he look like Max (or rather, does Max look like him); look at the Live In Tokyo disk;
- WOW could James really belt it out.   I don't want to comment on now, nor start a debate, but back then, he was a machine;
- WOW did they seem grounded; I'm listening to the commentary (for dates and locations of the live stuff) and they just seem to be so friendly and comfortable and happy and collaborative and... 

All the reasons I was really into DT and loved them as something more than just an "average" band, but as something special.

+1 :hefdaddy

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: February 03, 2019, 11:23:56 AM »

A machine maybe, but too many times it seems like he is screaming/wailing for the sake of being loud and screechy instead of singing melodically.

I must've watched the Tokyo/Livetime and Scenes DVDs listening to the commentary tracks more than I did listening to the actual audio. That definitely changed my view of them from "Hey I really like this band's music" to "These guys seem really cool, I should invest more time in to them (bootlegs, concerts, etc....)"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: February 06, 2019, 07:57:17 AM »
I think we figured these two would meet up if they were on a boat together

Absolutely awesome evening watching my friend Jordan Rudess play a wonderful solo concert and then having a great dinner together afterwards! #oncefamilyalwaysfamily #cruisetotheedge — with Jordan Rudes.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #627 on: February 06, 2019, 08:25:48 AM »
Jordan too reposted that photo.

Obviously, comments like "LTE3!!!!111" and "OMG PLZ COME BACK TOGETHER PLZZZ" abound. Geez, just leave these guys alone and let them enjoy their friendship without harassing them, it's not that any kind of future collaboration would depend on posts from fans.... "We didn't really want to do another LTE album but when a dude begging us to come back gets 50K likes on FB what can you do......"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #628 on: February 06, 2019, 08:45:04 AM »
Jordan too reposted that photo.

Obviously, comments like "LTE3!!!!111" and "OMG PLZ COME BACK TOGETHER PLZZZ" abound. Geez, just leave these guys alone and let them enjoy their friendship without harassing them, it's not that any kind of future collaboration would depend on posts from fans.... "We didn't really want to do another LTE album but when a dude begging us to come back gets 50K likes on FB what can you do......"

Once you put that out there on social media, which it sounds like both Portnoy and Rudess did, you are basically inviting those kinds of comments from fans.  It's just the way it is on social media in 2019.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #629 on: February 06, 2019, 08:49:04 AM »
Well, sure.  But those fans who post that way on social media are likewise inviting others to post about how dumb they are.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."