Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313812 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #490 on: September 11, 2018, 03:49:58 PM »
Told MP I was from DTF and he got a laugh and said I need to defend him here  :lol  I think I'm pretty fair on him (I am a fan, but I can be critical too)

That's awesome!!! How was the meet and greet otherwise?
   Derek didn't want to even look at me.  He was next to MP and definitely heard me talk about DTF, he didn't say a single word to me. 
That sounds about right. I ran into Derek after the Seattle show as he was walking by. I just quickly told him he did a great job and thanks for coming to Seattle. He almost seemed annoyed and shined me on. He did begrudgingly say thanks in a undertone but it didn't seem sincere, and he never even looked at me. Lol!

Not to beat a horse that hasn't already been beaten to death in the Sons of Apollo thread, but this band really needs to realize that Derek's attitude is costing them fans.  And it's a shame, too.  They put out an album of solid music, and they for the most part put on a really good live show.  If they somehow think Derek being a jerk and JSS's drinking scores them points, they are sadly out of touch with reality.

As for Metal Allegiance, those are some great videos!  I might actually have to check these guys out.

Is JSS's drinking really that big of an issue?  I mean, the show I saw them at, JSS was talking about the band getting really, really drunk after the show (and then added, "well, some of us don't drink, but I am") which wasn't pertinent information, and I really don't care for alcohol myself, but that doesn't really bug me that much.

His stage moves on the other hand... :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #491 on: September 11, 2018, 04:14:23 PM »
Is JSS's drinking really that big of an issue?  I mean, the show I saw them at, JSS was talking about the band getting really, really drunk after the show (and then added, "well, some of us don't drink, but I am") which wasn't pertinent information, and I really don't care for alcohol myself, but that doesn't really bug me that much.

It wouldn't bug me if the band was in their early 20's, but I don't know... How old are we? Like that would be the kind of thing to turn me off.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: September 11, 2018, 04:17:07 PM »
I don't think it's an issue at all, it seems to loosen him up and while some may not like his dance moves or his cursing, I personally think it adds to their live show.  I like it.  He sings and performs fine, the alcohol isn't really effecting his performance which would be a reason to maybe have a talk about it.  I don't think it has anything to do with the 70s.  Bands today still like to drink during their performances.  The guy from Voyager had this big fruity cocktail on stage the other night.  He put on an awesome show, might have helped him loosen up.  I don't know, but I didn't think it was a turn off at all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #493 on: September 11, 2018, 04:21:08 PM »
Oh I don't care if a guy has a drink on stage. But the whole "We're gonna get really drunk tonight" just sounds a bit lame.

I'll save Kingshmegland the trouble, but apparently I'm old.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #494 on: September 11, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »

Duh. :lol :lol

As for the drinking, it wouldn't surprise me if Portnoy leaves the band because he doesn't want to deal with band members who are going out and getting tanked after every show.  The last thing a recovering alcoholic wants, or needs, is to be around people who drink a lot. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: September 11, 2018, 08:29:37 PM »

Duh. :lol :lol

As for the drinking, it wouldn't surprise me if Portnoy leaves the band because he doesn't want to deal with band members who are going out and getting tanked after every show.  The last thing a recovering alcoholic wants, or needs, is to be around people who drink a lot.

True, but didn't seem to bother him in A7X and he isn't alone in the non drinkers in SOA which is probably really helpful.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #496 on: September 11, 2018, 08:34:49 PM »
He's likely at that point where it doesn't bother him. His will is now strong enough to not be tempted by people being drunk.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #497 on: September 11, 2018, 08:55:24 PM »
Told MP I was from DTF and he got a laugh and said I need to defend him here  :lol  I think I'm pretty fair on him (I am a fan, but I can be critical too)

That's awesome!!! How was the meet and greet otherwise?
   Derek didn't want to even look at me.  He was next to MP and definitely heard me talk about DTF, he didn't say a single word to me. 
That sounds about right. I ran into Derek after the Seattle show as he was walking by. I just quickly told him he did a great job and thanks for coming to Seattle. He almost seemed annoyed and shined me on. He did begrudgingly say thanks in a undertone but it didn't seem sincere, and he never even looked at me. Lol!

Not to beat a horse that hasn't already been beaten to death in the Sons of Apollo thread, but this band really needs to realize that Derek's attitude is costing them fans.  And it's a shame, too.  They put out an album of solid music, and they for the most part put on a really good live show.  If they somehow think Derek being a jerk and JSS's drinking scores them points, they are sadly out of touch with reality.

As for Metal Allegiance, those are some great videos!  I might actually have to check these guys out.

I remember listening to the album for the first time and being a bit dumbstruck that this was the product of months(?) of drama on DTF and other social media. So much hype and childish bickering for a CD that was only OK. I'm not sure if Sons of Apollo would have ever held my interest, but the drama surrounding it definitely kept me from giving it any repeated listens. It's not just Derek, but reading these anecdotes makes me wonder how anyone finds this group worth their time. That's a lot of bravado for blandness.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #498 on: September 12, 2018, 07:30:40 AM »
Just asking (I don't  feel this way; I'm in the "I don't really care either way" camp. The music is the music, and I listen to other bands  who are dicks so why not here?) but:   is it possible that Derek's antics have GOTTEN them a fan or two along the way?   

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #499 on: September 12, 2018, 07:45:46 AM »
For those that would complain about JSS's stage moves and dancing, I think you need to watch his Funky Medley that he does with his solo band.  This a guy that just loves funky, dancy music and isn't afraid to get down on stage.   It's who he is as a person, so if the Sons of Apollo tunes hit him in a way that it makes him want to do some grooving, so be it.  :chill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPP4YN0xUOU

As for his drinking, I guess I agree that we all eventually should grow out of the whole "lets get hammered" thing and bragging about it - but as long as it doesn't impact his performance negatively, I don't care.  It's rock and roll.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: September 12, 2018, 07:50:28 AM »
Just asking (I don't  feel this way; I'm in the "I don't really care either way" camp. The music is the music, and I listen to other bands  who are dicks so why not here?) but:   is it possible that Derek's antics have GOTTEN them a fan or two along the way?   

I doubt his antics have gotten him fans, at least not his more recents ones, but the music is the music.  I listen to plenty of dicks too.

I saw Stone Sour the other night.  Corey Taylor is a dick IMO, but I enjoyed his show.  He was great live, music is the music.  I mean, I'm not a Stone Sour fan, but I respected the hell out of his live performance.

And SOA won me over with their live performance.  The album was alright, but it worked much better live.  And I don't think everyone in the band is a dick either.  I'd probably only put DS in that catagory honestly.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #501 on: September 12, 2018, 07:52:46 AM »

Anything is possible.  But I think it's telling that in the one place most likely to generate discussion for this band, we know of several who have been turned off and pushed away by him, and none (or almost none) who have gone the opposite direction.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: September 12, 2018, 07:55:36 AM »

Anything is possible.  But I think it's telling that in the one place most likely to generate discussion for this band, we know of several who have been turned off and pushed away by him, and none (or almost none) who have gone the opposite direction.

Fair point.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #503 on: September 12, 2018, 08:02:38 AM »
In other words, I am not saying there aren't any.  I'm just saying I think it is highly likely that it is still a net loss for the band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #504 on: September 12, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »
Metal Allegiance will be doing all of Sabbath's debut album in Brooklyn next month. I'll almost certainly be there.

https://www.brooklynbowl.com/event/1761951-metal-allegiance-performing-brooklyn/
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: September 12, 2018, 09:34:59 AM »
I  might go see that event, but reading that press release... ugh.   Just sounds like one big cliché to me.  Nothing like a bunch of 50-something rockstars putting out an "adrenaline-soaked, thrash-worshipping, groove-driven, diverse, yet more sharply focused effort" ("diverse" but "sharply focused"?) and providing "[l]yrical missives abound, many of them reflecting the frustrating state of the world, through an aggressive perspective that transcends partisanship in favor of unbridled rage."

I get it if that's your thing, I'm not mocking it, just saying it's not for me.     

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #506 on: September 12, 2018, 09:39:30 AM »
Yeah, I scanned through it to see if they talked specifically about whether the + more would be more covers or some of their originals (my guess is a bit of both). Pretty :lol but par for the course for these type of PR bios on concert event pages.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #507 on: September 12, 2018, 09:40:53 AM »
But...they are kind of intentionally being a cliché.  Have you seen any of their official videos?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjxpMCiUI7Q

They combine exceptional musicianship and familiar metal anthems with fun, goofiness, and stereotypes.  That seems to be kinda their thing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: September 12, 2018, 09:46:09 AM »
But...they are kind of intentionally being a cliché.  Have you seen any of their official videos?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjxpMCiUI7Q

They combine exceptional musicianship and familiar metal anthems with fun, goofiness, and stereotypes.  That seems to be kinda their thing.

Fair enough, but then it's Amob, and that is my least favorite Portnoy project by a LONG shot.   Other than Steel Panther (and even then it wears thin with me) I'm not the hugest fan of the "ironic re-evaluation".   I love Night Ranger, Cinderella, and Kiss non-ironically, and unapologetically.   

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #509 on: September 12, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »
I don't think it's an issue at all, it seems to loosen him up and while some may not like his dance moves or his cursing, I personally think it adds to their live show.  I like it.  He sings and performs fine, the alcohol isn't really effecting his performance which would be a reason to maybe have a talk about it.  I don't think it has anything to do with the 70s.  Bands today still like to drink during their performances.  The guy from Voyager had this big fruity cocktail on stage the other night.  He put on an awesome show, might have helped him loosen up.  I don't know, but I didn't think it was a turn off at all.

I agree... I mean yeah he doesn't necessarily need to advertise his drinking, no need to try and glorify it. But I am a big fan of JSS in this project. I like that he seems really excited to be part of this gig and is having a great time, and you can feel it. I like his silly little dance moves on stage that shows he knows all the parts in the songs. He and bumblefoot are the best things going for this band, IMO. And initially I came on board for MP and DS, who seem to be phoning it in - which is obvious if you watch MP on nearly any other live performance.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #510 on: September 12, 2018, 12:04:38 PM »

I agree... I mean yeah he doesn't necessarily need to advertise his drinking, no need to try and glorify it. But I am a big fan of JSS in this project. I like that he seems really excited to be part of this gig and is having a great time, and you can feel it. I like his silly little dance moves on stage that shows he knows all the parts in the songs. He and bumblefoot are the best things going for this band, IMO. And initially I came on board for MP and DS, who seem to be phoning it in - which is obvious if you watch MP on nearly any other live performance.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that MP is phoning it in, but I'll give you this much: when I saw their show here in Toronto, he seemed incredibly low key compare to the other bands I've seen him play with. He might have decided t take a step back in the context of SOA specifically, or maybe you're right and he's just not THAT engaged in SOA anymore (already... :facepalm:). We'll see about that - I guess their second album will be just as pivotal, if not more, for the success and continuity of this band.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #511 on: September 12, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »
Not really saying this is indicative of anything or if it's even out of the ordinary but when I was given my VIP badge at ProgPower I was sternly told NOT to approach Mike. That kind of shocked me given how for 15 years I've been under the impression Mike ADORES his fans and would go out of his way to talk to them or at least say hi. But when I was hanging in the VIP area, I was standing literally next to his dressing room watching part of the Redemption set on a TV, and went to talk to Labyrinth. As I was telling the band goodbye I saw Mike come walking out of his dressing room and looked around with a really disgusted/unhappy look on his face and walked out. Came back looking the same way; stayed far out of his way.

Just puzzled me 'cause he always seemed to be one of the most outgoing and friendly musicians around for so many years. Guess the DT split changed that.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #512 on: September 12, 2018, 12:25:33 PM »
That is odd.  But you never know what is going on with people either.  Maybe there was some internal band conflict going on at the moment.  Or maybe he had just gotten some really bad family news.  Or maybe stuck in some really bad negotiations for one of his other projects.  Whatever was going on with him, it seems to be out of the norm.  Bummer he was in a foul mood and that you didn't get to talk to him.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: September 12, 2018, 12:33:21 PM »
Oh I'm sure something was going on, I was just curious the whole time since I got the early very serious warning not to approach him whatsoever. It was my best friend's birthday and I was hoping to get him to scribble a birthday message or something to him but no biggie.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #514 on: September 12, 2018, 12:33:26 PM »
Not really saying this is indicative of anything or if it's even out of the ordinary but when I was given my VIP badge at ProgPower I was sternly told NOT to approach Mike. That kind of shocked me given how for 15 years I've been under the impression Mike ADORES his fans and would go out of his way to talk to them or at least say hi. But when I was hanging in the VIP area, I was standing literally next to his dressing room watching part of the Redemption set on a TV, and went to talk to Labyrinth. As I was telling the band goodbye I saw Mike come walking out of his dressing room and looked around with a really disgusted/unhappy look on his face and walked out. Came back looking the same way; stayed far out of his way.

Just puzzled me 'cause he always seemed to be one of the most outgoing and friendly musicians around for so many years. Guess the DT split changed that.

That's strange, man. In Toronto he didn't come out for the aftershow party, but a friend and I approached him for photos when we saw him leaving the venue, and he was quite nice. Bumblefoot was amazing - I showed him the link of an interview I did with him just before the tour, and he loved it. Billy was great too, very approachable and talkative. Derek had family there, and although he was the one who got me my ticket, I didn't really feel he was opened to talk, so I let him be - I think he had a nephew there visiting. JSS didn't come out to meet after the show, but it would have been nice to catch up, since my interview with him made it to Blabbermouth, but I guess he had to rest and get ready to hit the road - they played in the US the next day.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #515 on: September 12, 2018, 12:35:31 PM »

I met Mike a few times between 2004-2006 at a few different meet-n-greet situations. He was always really nice and outgoing and funny. In 2012, I saw him play with Neal, front row. I was wearing my old MP long-sleeve shirt. He ended up giving me a high five and saying "nice shirt" at the end of the show. But last year I had a similar experience as you. At Morsefest, after the second night, a good amount of people decided to stick around and hang out to take pictures and see if the band came out. I was able to talk to Neal, Eric, Bill, Randy, and Nick D'Virgilio, as well as take a picture with each (except Neal, but I didn't really try). All of the guys were amazingly friendly and down to Earth. I then stood around for about an hour seeing if Mike was going to come out. At one point, he did (kinda). I, again, was wearing my MP long sleeve shirt, hoping he would notice and come out to say hi. He came out of the back behind his drum set and skulked around, so as not to be seen. He grabbed something off his set and then went into the back. Now, I don't know if he ever came out, because I left after that, and I know he just finished off a really long weekend of performing... but it was disappointing to say the least, and a bit out of character.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #516 on: September 12, 2018, 12:42:13 PM »
That is odd.  But you never know what is going on with people either.  Maybe there was some internal band conflict going on at the moment.  Or maybe he had just gotten some really bad family news.  Or maybe stuck in some really bad negotiations for one of his other projects.  Whatever was going on with him, it seems to be out of the norm.  Bummer he was in a foul mood and that you didn't get to talk to him.

I agree with Bosk. I've met MP 5-6 times just by standing outside the bus and he has always been respectful, fun, and approachable and signs stuff. I think he just had a bad day. Sucks that it happened at ProgPower since it's one of the few (or the only) festival where you can pretty much meet every band. If there is something you can't blame on MP, it's being approachable and accessible with fans. Hope you can meet him later on another show.

While the SoA studio album was a bit disappointing, the live show made  up for it. Hopefully the 2nd album is better.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #517 on: September 12, 2018, 12:47:28 PM »

So, did you meet the guys from Labyrinth? John Macaluso is a great guy, isn't he?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #518 on: September 12, 2018, 01:11:41 PM »

He knew exactly who you were. We know he lurks here. He's read your posts. I'd be pissed off too!

:lol

I kid. You've always been pretty fair in your criticisms. Then again, most people here have but to some this is an anti-Portnoy board.  Whatever.

JSS didn't come out to meet after the show, but it would have been nice to catch up, since my interview with him made it to Blabbermouth....

Probably too drunk.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: September 12, 2018, 01:36:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies, folks - it's good to know that he was probably just having an off day, or maybe he was just really tired (he did fly in from somewhere else that same morning for the ProgPower gig, so maybe he was just really tired and stuff). Maybe some other day, if Winery Dogs ever gets back together - it would be nice to at least thank him in person for that (I did not do the Sons of Apollo signing either because I wanted to watch the bands).

So, did you meet the guys from Labyrinth? John Macaluso is a great guy, isn't he?

I met three of them, Olaf, Oleg, and Nik - not sure where the other guys were. I did get to see the acoustic show on Saturday though. I could've approached Roberto and the others after the set but they were already swamped with fans so I let them be (didn't get to the signing because again I wanted to see bands). All three were incredibly nice, however; Oleg was very concerned about any sound issues but I told him I couldn't hear anything (genuinely thought they were flawless). The next night I got to stand around and bullshit with Olaf for a long time about touring and such and that was really cool. There's a picture I posted a couple pages back, I believe, with me and the guys :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: September 12, 2018, 01:42:54 PM »
Yea MIke, given that I did the meet and greet, probably earlier than when you ran into him, and he didn't seem angry or in a bad mood (even after I brought up DTF).  I'm guessing something may have happened or maybe he was not interested in doing anything but perform at that point since they had to be up super early to go to Japan and did a long meet and greet (advertised as 30 minutes, but it seemed like it went longer). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: September 12, 2018, 01:44:43 PM »
Things have taken their toll.  I met him for the first time during the TSOAD tour at my local show. I told him who I was and to my surprise he hesitated a second and looked up and said "Oh, you're one of the good ones!".  I said "I'm trying, not always easy!" (meaning, at that point I was hip deep in a discussion here and being called a "fanboy" and whatnot, but after I realized that he might have taken it as "not easy because you're always  making things difficult" and that was not at all what I meant).   But I was hanging around after the SOA show in Worcester, and even though there were only about five or six of us (in the rain) we got the impression that they were waiting us out (one of the women with us, her nephew or some shit was working the venue and he said that "any meet and greets were family only" whatever that means).   

I certainly hope that he is okay and that there wasn't bad news for him, but whether it's just meeting the same people over and over, or bitter from the last seven, eight years, I get the impression that some of the shine has worn off the ol' fan/artist interface. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #522 on: September 12, 2018, 01:46:56 PM »

It's because Cram mentioned "the forums". Haha, Jk cram. But yeah, I felt that too. Especially when he had to mention a certain singer cancelling.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: September 12, 2018, 01:49:41 PM »
Wasn't there some dirt or something about the LaBrie cancelling?  What's the word on that?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: September 12, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »
I'm really not sure if I should share that in public to be honest.

Unless I already did, in which case I'm fucking stupid  :facepalm:  :lol

Yea MIke, given that I did the meet and greet, probably earlier than when you ran into him, and he didn't seem angry or in a bad mood (even after I brought up DTF).  I'm guessing something may have happened or maybe he was not interested in doing anything but perform at that point since they had to be up super early to go to Japan and did a long meet and greet (advertised as 30 minutes, but it seemed like it went longer).

Ahhh. That makes sense too.