Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313746 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #455 on: September 07, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »
I'd love to see them live - they have great setlists and awesome guests and really nail the songs.  But the studio albums offer no surprises - the songs all sound just like the singer's primary band's output.  So it's a fun album based on the guest singers, but boring at the same time because it leaves me with this feeling like I've heard it all before.  I can see myself listening to the second album more than the first one, though. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #456 on: September 07, 2018, 12:36:27 PM »
I have to say, the show last night was an absolute blast. Andreas Kisser from Sepultura served as the second guitarist for the whole show and they probably had half a dozen different vocalists rotating onstage (including Alissa White-Gluz  :biggrin:). They played a few tunes from each album and a good amount of covers, with the encore of Aces High and Hit the Lights being particularly \m/

Full setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metal-allegiance/2018/the-gramercy-theatre-new-york-ny-43e8535f.html

That`s EPIC!!!!

Hey, didn`t MP, Andreas and Dave have a project called `Hail!` a few years ago which sorta had the same intention as Metal Allegiance?

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #457 on: September 07, 2018, 01:08:12 PM »
Holy shit. Who did Aces High?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: September 07, 2018, 02:31:48 PM »
I'm expecting the SOA meet and greet line to be very long tonight, but I do hope to be able to get in and meet the guys, including MP for the first time. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #459 on: September 07, 2018, 02:39:41 PM »
I have to say, the show last night was an absolute blast. Andreas Kisser from Sepultura served as the second guitarist for the whole show and they probably had half a dozen different vocalists rotating onstage (including Alissa White-Gluz  :biggrin:). They played a few tunes from each album and a good amount of covers, with the encore of Aces High and Hit the Lights being particularly \m/

Full setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metal-allegiance/2018/the-gramercy-theatre-new-york-ny-43e8535f.html

That`s EPIC!!!!

Hey, didn`t MP, Andreas and Dave have a project called `Hail!` a few years ago which sorta had the same intention as Metal Allegiance?

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that when I was reading Andreas's wiki this morning (I was pretty unfamiliar with him before the last night).

Holy shit. Who did Aces High?

John Bush and Alissa. And then everybody came out for Hit the Lights.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #460 on: September 07, 2018, 03:38:02 PM »
I didn't care too much for the first MA album and haven't checked the new one yet. Are they worth a listen or I should just stick with each members' original bands?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #461 on: September 07, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »
I didn't care too much for the first MA album and haven't checked the new one yet. Are they worth a listen or I should just stick with each members' original bands?

If you didn't like the first one, I doubt this will do much for you either. But if there is a singer on here that you enjoy, either them or their respective bands, then you will find enjoyment out of it. I personally really like the John Bush and Max Cavalera tracks, although I haven't had much time to give the album a good listen yet.

So far I really like that they just have one singer per track rather than their last approach of several singers per track. Feels a lot more cohesive, in my opinion.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: September 08, 2018, 07:56:09 AM »
Told MP I was from DTF and he got a laugh and said I need to defend him here  :lol  I think I'm pretty fair on him (I am a fan, but I can be critical too)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #463 on: September 08, 2018, 08:12:19 AM »
Told MP I was from DTF and he got a laugh and said I need to defend him here  :lol  I think I'm pretty fair on him (I am a fan, but I can be critical too)

You should’ve told him DTF is still a thing ;)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #464 on: September 08, 2018, 09:41:22 AM »

You should’ve told him DTF is still a thing ;)

That was the best ever...haha his eyes lit up all fierce.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #465 on: September 08, 2018, 11:15:03 AM »

That's awesome!!! How was the meet and greet otherwise?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: September 08, 2018, 11:49:53 AM »

Really cool, it was quick for them so not much time to say anything else.  But I told JSS that I tweeted the video of him dancing at the NYC show and he laughed and said he was really drunk for that.  Told Billy I loved his work with DLR which he said that was a surprise compliment and laughed.  Derek didn't want to even look at me.  He was next to MP and definitely heard me talk about DTF, he didn't say a single word to me.  Bumblefoot is great, such a nice dude too.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #467 on: September 08, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »

Derek didn't want to even look at me.  He was next to MP and definitely heard me talk about DTF, he didn't say a single word to me. 
That sounds about right. I ran into Derek after the Seattle show as he was walking by. I just quickly told him he did a great job and thanks for coming to Seattle. He almost seemed annoyed and shined me on. He did begrudgingly say thanks in a undertone but it didn't seem sincere, and he never even looked at me. Lol!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #468 on: September 08, 2018, 02:14:36 PM »

Really cool, it was quick for them so not much time to say anything else.  But I told JSS that I tweeted the video of him dancing at the NYC show and he laughed and said he was really drunk for that.  Told Billy I loved his work with DLR which he said that was a surprise compliment and laughed.  Derek didn't want to even look at me.  He was next to MP and definitely heard me talk about DTF, he didn't say a single word to me.  Bumblefoot is great, such a nice dude too.

That’s hilarious about DS :lol

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #469 on: September 08, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »

Derek didn't want to even look at me.  He was next to MP and definitely heard me talk about DTF, he didn't say a single word to me. 
That sounds about right. I ran into Derek after the Seattle show as he was walking by. I just quickly told him he did a great job and thanks for coming to Seattle. He almost seemed annoyed and shined me on. He did begrudgingly say thanks in a undertone but it didn't seem sincere, and he never even looked at me. Lol!

It must be really stressful being the 'king of prog'. Having to deal with lowly peasants like us in between autograph signings and making history. Only the Queen of England understands how stressful this life of royalty can be. Quit picking on Derek you guys!!!!!  God save the Derek!!!! :natalieportman:

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: September 08, 2018, 06:01:10 PM »
Ok I have to ask this. Am I the only one who doesn't find the making history joke funny at all? It wasn't funny on the original FII video, it's definitely not funny now.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #471 on: September 08, 2018, 06:21:17 PM »
Ok I have to ask this. Am I the only one who doesn't find the making history joke funny at all? It wasn't funny on the original FII video, it's definitely not funny now.

I'm pretty sure the only people who ever found it funny was MP and DS. 21 years and counting.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: September 08, 2018, 06:24:45 PM »
It's funny in the context of someone making home movies while in the studio recording. But I feel it is more something that isn't as funny for someone who wasn't there. Like when you are up late at three in the morning with your buddies and everything is funny when it never would be any other time.

And no it certainly isn't funny now.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #473 on: September 08, 2018, 07:56:17 PM »
I found it funny the first 20 or 30 times but the fact that Derek seems pretty full of himself and ungrateful of the support he gets makes it lose all comedic value.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #475 on: September 09, 2018, 11:06:43 AM »
Wow Derek wouldn't even look at you? What a fragile insecure little man he is. That's fucking hilarious. I'm glad I didn't watch his band even more now
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #476 on: September 09, 2018, 11:07:57 AM »
Wow Derek wouldn't even look at you? What a fragile insecure little man he is. That's fucking hilarious. I'm glad I didn't watch his band even more now

I enjoyed it mainly because of JSS and Bumblefoot.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline DT2003

« Reply #477 on: September 09, 2018, 11:33:58 AM »
Good to see Derek hasn’t changed his ways. What a dick! 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #478 on: September 09, 2018, 02:43:46 PM »
Would still love to see Sons of Apollo, I recently listened to their album and I still like it, some really solid and accesible prog metal. Nothing original and I agree with the common criticisms, but a good effort. I think that a second album that adresses some of the issues could be ace.

Personally don't care that Derek is a dick or not. I like his work as a musician from what I have heard and I love the body of work of the other artists involved in the band.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #479 on: September 09, 2018, 02:49:17 PM »
Labryinth was an amazing song live.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #480 on: September 09, 2018, 08:29:17 PM »

Dude nice call with the DLR stuff.  I still love Skyscraper.  What a weird, but still rockin', record.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: September 10, 2018, 08:35:02 AM »

Dude nice call with the DLR stuff.  I still love Skyscraper.  What a weird, but still rockin', record.

DLR was my intro to Billy.  I didn't even know it then, just knew that I absolutely loved the bass playing and it wasn't until years later when I discovered Billy from something else (not sure what that was, maybe Steve Vai) and I recognized that familiar sound in bass and then made the connection.  And of course since then he's done TWD and SOA that has had me continued to be interested in his work.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #482 on: September 10, 2018, 09:06:18 AM »

DLR was my intro to Billy.  I didn't even know it then, just knew that I absolutely loved the bass playing and it wasn't until years later when I discovered Billy from something else (not sure what that was, maybe Steve Vai) and I recognized that familiar sound in bass and then made the connection.  And of course since then he's done TWD and SOA that has had me continued to be interested in his work.

Same here...I got to know Billy in DLR, then started following him on Mr. Big and all the million other things he's done. Quite a distinguishable bass one the man has.

I recently spoke to another musician whom I had no idea had worked with DLR before: Craig Goldy, from Rough Cutt, Dio, Budgie etc. He has a new band out called Dream Child, and he wrote a bunch of songs with Dave for "A Little Ain't Enough". He said that in the entrance of Dave's mansion there's a sing that says "nothing here worth dying for". Cool, eh?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: September 10, 2018, 01:30:28 PM »
I love how most of the people that mention where Dave lives call it "Dave's mansion", not "Dave's house".  It's always "Dave's mansion"; Craig, John 5, Billy...  I'd love to see the inside of that place.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #484 on: September 10, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
I love how most of the people that mention where Dave lives call it "Dave's mansion", not "Dave's house".  It's always "Dave's mansion"; Craig, John 5, Billy...  I'd love to see the inside of that place.

His dad already had a mansion even before he was successful with Van Halen, and he only added to that. A LOT.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: September 10, 2018, 06:39:15 PM »

His dad already had a mansion even before he was successful with Van Halen, and he only added to that. A LOT.

Yeah, his dad was a doctor, right? And his uncle owns/owned one of the best jazz clubs in NYC (Cafe Wha?).

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #486 on: September 11, 2018, 09:53:06 AM »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #487 on: September 11, 2018, 10:53:04 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metal-allegiance-joined-by-sepultura-arch-enemy-overkill-accept-members-at-new-york-city-concert-video/

Plenty of video....and holy shit - John Bush and Alissa completely crushed Aces High.   :metal :metal :metal

That was awesome!!!! Thanks for posting.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #488 on: September 11, 2018, 11:11:44 AM »
Great stuff!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #489 on: September 11, 2018, 01:59:39 PM »

Not to beat a horse that hasn't already been beaten to death in the Sons of Apollo thread, but this band really needs to realize that Derek's attitude is costing them fans.  And it's a shame, too.  They put out an album of solid music, and they for the most part put on a really good live show.  If they somehow think Derek being a jerk and JSS's drinking scores them points, they are sadly out of touch with reality.

As for Metal Allegiance, those are some great videos!  I might actually have to check these guys out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."