The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)

Started by Perpetual Change, December 13, 2010, 04:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stadler

Quote from: MinistroRaven on March 08, 2024, 06:21:31 AM
Yesterday we received a promo album for the band Sonic Universe, and it mentioned Mike Portnoy as part of Porcupine Tree, did I miss that collaboration or the press release is way off?

I get your question is more egregious, but I just laugh at how some people write.  It's as if the words don't actually have a real meaning .  "Diverse talents such as Mike Portnoy and AJ Pero".  "Diverse" means "very different", and "showing a great deal of variety".   There's a LOT of overlap with Portnoy and Pero.  Maybe "Pero" and "ALLEN" are diverse, maybe a different word than "diverse".   And is Adrenaline Mob really "mighty"?   That sounds, well, mutherfuckin' pyschosane to me.

MinistroRaven

Quote from: Stadler on March 08, 2024, 06:58:12 AM
Yesterday we received a promo album for the band Sonic Universe, and it mentioned Mike Portnoy as part of Porcupine Tree, did I miss that collaboration or the press release is way off?

I get your question is more egregious, but I just laugh at how some people write.  It's as if the words don't actually have a real meaning .  "Diverse talents such as Mike Portnoy and AJ Pero".  "Diverse" means "very different", and "showing a great deal of variety".   There's a LOT of overlap with Portnoy and Pero.  Maybe "Pero" and "ALLEN" are diverse, maybe a different word than "diverse".   And is Adrenaline Mob really "mighty"?   That sounds, well, mutherfuckin' pyschosane to me.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

nobloodyname

The press release is wrong. MP's never had anything to do with PT.
"I'm not just liking Dream Theater to get in your pants."

cramx3

But that Seattle football game had MP listed as in Dream Theater last fall and we all know how that ended up....

gzarruk

Quote from: cramx3 on March 08, 2024, 08:03:44 AM
But that Seattle football game had MP listed as in Dream Theater last fall and we all know how that ended up....

But did he move to Seattle? :P

The Letter M

Quote from: gzarruk on March 08, 2024, 08:00:36 AM
Pinery Togs
Quote from: HOF on March 08, 2024, 07:04:33 AM
Preen Theater.

Piquid Tension (Experiment)
Petal Tallegiance
The Peal Torse Band
PransTatlantic
Plying Tolors

-Marc.

Indiscipline

Stadler

Metro

MP playing The Spirit Carries On with JR, Charlie Griffiths(Haken), and Joe Payne on Cruise to the Edge.

https://youtu.be/bL-ouTIgKHY?si=4QfQ5GFUFVvhw3p3

Who is Joe Payne? Also, I hear bass guitar, but there's no bassist onstage.

The Letter M

Quote from: Metro on March 13, 2024, 11:38:23 AM
Who is Joe Payne?

Joe Payne, from That Joe Payne.

Progressive-music vocalist, That Joe Payne, is recognised for his involvement with a variety of projects, from solo releases to collaborations with artists such as The Enid, John Holden, Zio, and Taï Phong.

Based in Northampton, England, and remembered by audiences for boasting an impressive five-octave range and flamboyant showmanship, his voice has featured on no less than sixteen album releases since his career began in 2011.

Personal achievements include being voted Best Male Vocalist two years running by the readers of Prog Magazine, and three Progressive Music Award nominations for his work with The Enid.

As a solo artist, Joe has regularly supported other known artists throughout the prog-scene, including Franck Carducci and Ms Amy Birks, having also performed at the 2019 Marillion Weekend in The Netherlands.

https://www.thatjoepayne.com/about

That's That Joe Payne.

-Marc.

Metro

gzarruk

Quote from: Metro on March 13, 2024, 11:38:23 AM
Also, I hear bass guitar, but there's no bassist onstage.

It's Jordan playing keyboard bass :lol

TheHoveringSojourn808

many years ago there was a rumor that MP might join with SW and MA for what became Storm Corrosion but i don't think they ever actually recorded together

hefdaddy42

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on March 14, 2024, 06:42:36 AM
many years ago there was a rumor that MP might join with SW and MA for what became Storm Corrosion but i don't think they ever actually recorded together
They didn't, and if memory serves that was a concept that was largely promoted by MP, not SW or MA.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

TheHoveringSojourn808

just realized i failed to quote for my post and it was responding to a post from like 1-2 pages earlier, :lol my bad lol

ytserush

I was planning on picking this up because of Corey Glover and later found out Mike Orlando is on it.  I think AI wrote that press release.

ytserush

Quote from: gzarruk on March 08, 2024, 08:04:54 AM
Quote from: cramx3 on March 08, 2024, 08:03:44 AM

But did he move to Seattle? :P

Welcome to the forum!

cramx3

Just saw that Metal Allegiance is doing a show locally for me at Starland with Meanstreak opening!!

Sadly, I'll be at ProgPower, but that sounds cool and I'd totally otherwise be there

Glasser

cramx3

Quote from: Glasser on June 04, 2024, 03:10:36 PM
Meanstreak resurrection in full bloom eh?

I thought they were working on new music, but I haven't followed closely.

Glasser

Quote from: cramx3 on June 04, 2024, 03:13:12 PM

They need a proper release of the demo song "Rubberneck".  :lol

Lonk

Quote from: cramx3 on June 04, 2024, 03:13:12 PM
Didn't they release a single some time ago?

Also, thanks for posting. I'll try to make it to this show  :metal

Stadler

I was REALLY impressed with Meanstreak when I saw them open for John.  I went as novelty for the first show, and made sure I was in my seat for their set for the second show.  I missed a chance to meet Marlene and I think it was Bettina and was bummed (but it was during John's set, so there's that).

I have zero interest in Metal Allegiance, but I'd go for the opener and to see Mike.

Glasser

Quote from: Stadler on June 05, 2024, 07:49:20 AM
I was REALLY impressed with Meanstreak when I saw them open for John.  I went as novelty for the first show, and made sure I was in my seat for their set for the second show.  I missed a chance to meet Marlene and I think it was Bettina and was bummed (but it was during John's set, so there's that).

I have zero interest in Metal Allegiance, but I'd go for the opener and to see Mike.

I was at many Meanstreak shows back in the day. They were always great and all the girls are extremely cool!

MinistroRaven

Quote from: Lonk on June 04, 2024, 03:17:02 PM
Didn't they release a single some time ago?

Also, thanks for posting. I'll try to make it to this show  :metal

They released BloodMoon in February it's a 4 songs EP, and it rocks

https://open.spotify.com/album/3LlkNbmG21jm3vLg4GzXWB

Glasser

Phoenix87x

Sorry if this was already posted

He tries his hand a Tool song from scratch. hijinks ensue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3sEdST3D9E&ab_channel=Drumeo

The Letter M

Quote from: Phoenix87x on June 05, 2024, 09:11:08 AM
Sorry if this was already posted

He tries his hand a Tool song from scratch. hijinks ensue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3sEdST3D9E&ab_channel=Drumeo

There's an on-going thread for Mike's DRUMEO videos over in the DT-specific forum.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58824.0

-Marc.

ytserush

Quote from: cramx3 on June 04, 2024, 07:54:35 AM
Just saw that Metal Allegiance is doing a show locally for me at Starland with Meanstreak opening!!

Sadly, I'll be at ProgPower, but that sounds cool and I'd totally otherwise be there

This is about an hour away. Something to think about I guess.

Adami

The only thing I think I enjoyed from Metal allegiance was their cover of We Rock.

If they do that, with all of those singers, that'd be cool.
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

TheHoveringSojourn808

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

ReaperKK