Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 314008 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #3395 on: October 27, 2023, 05:21:12 PM »
TA is 100% done. Two of the members don't get along.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3396 on: October 27, 2023, 06:11:56 PM »
If anyone can point me to an interview, I'd be grateful.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3397 on: October 27, 2023, 06:14:54 PM »
TA is 100% done. Two of the members don't get along.

Yes, Ted tells in my interview that that TA in the future is pretty unlikely. It felt more like he couldn't say it's done, but...

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3398 on: October 28, 2023, 04:33:20 AM »
Neal and Mike both hinted at it.

The live album from the Paris show is called The Final Flight for a reason lol

Neal was very emotional (more than usual lol) at the end of that show. There are lots of pics they posted with him crying hugging Mike. Mike even looked a little weepy.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3399 on: October 28, 2023, 04:36:07 AM »
Also, I saw someone said they hoped that Transatlantic would have become more active after Mike left DT. I think part of the appeal of Transatlantic was that the albums were kinda “rare” I think creatively they benefited from that as well. To me it’s a perfect discography.
Can't we find the minds

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3400 on: October 30, 2023, 08:01:55 AM »
which two members of TA don't get along? NM and who else? My assumption is one of them (prob not MP) doesn't like all the preachy stuff. Would that be Roine or the Marillion guy?
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #3401 on: October 30, 2023, 08:11:47 AM »
All signs point to Roine and Neal. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t. We’ve talked about it at length in the Transatlantic thread.

« Reply #3402 on: October 30, 2023, 08:17:19 AM »
yeah, figured.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3403 on: October 30, 2023, 12:48:54 PM »
which two members of TA don't get along? NM and who else? My assumption is one of them (prob not MP) doesn't like all the preachy stuff. Would that be Roine or the Marillion guy?

I never got that it was the preachy stuff; I took it to be more fundamental.   I know there were musical choices that didn't sit well.  I know that learning the massive amounts of material didn't sit well.  The changes to material done individually didn't sit well. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3404 on: October 30, 2023, 01:03:29 PM »

I never got that it was the preachy stuff; I took it to be more fundamental.   I know there were musical choices that didn't sit well.  I know that learning the massive amounts of material didn't sit well.  The changes to material done individually didn't sit well.

That right there was TROAE

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3405 on: October 30, 2023, 03:00:16 PM »
I don't know that it's a given that two members don't get along.  Rodrigo may know something I don't, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate that that is the case.  But that of course doesn't really alter that point that, from what has been said by a couple of members, TA is not an active entity right now and has no plans to be.  That isn't to say they wouldn't do something at some point in the future.  But I think they seem to consider themselves done for the moment.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3406 on: October 30, 2023, 03:41:42 PM »
Also, I saw someone said they hoped that Transatlantic would have become more active after Mike left DT. I think part of the appeal of Transatlantic was that the albums were kinda “rare” I think creatively they benefited from that as well. To me it’s a perfect discography.

If you throw out Kaleidescope and The Absolute Universe then I agree 100%. Near perfect discography.

Those last couple efforts were way too "rinse/repeat" for me to be considered anything original from those guys....pretty cut and paste and ho hum.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kram

« Reply #3407 on: October 30, 2023, 03:48:49 PM »
I don't know that it's a given that two members don't get along.  Rodrigo may know something I don't, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate that that is the case.  But that of course doesn't really alter that point that, from what has been said by a couple of members, TA is not an active entity right now and has no plans to be.  That isn't to say they wouldn't do something at some point in the future.  But I think they seem to consider themselves done for the moment.
I agree Bosk.  I'm sure they "get along".  I think it's more "creative differences", if you will..

Offline HOF

« Reply #3408 on: October 30, 2023, 03:58:25 PM »

If you throw out Kaleidescope and The Absolute Universe then I agree 100%. Near perfect discography.

Those last couple efforts were way too "rinse/repeat" for me to be considered anything original from those guys....pretty cut and paste and ho hum.

If you also throw out The Whirlwind IMO. I can’t explain it, but I really only enjoy the first two TA albums (two of my favorite albums ever). TAU is the one I enjoyed most after that. But I agree, they have probably made all the music I need them to make.

« Reply #3409 on: October 30, 2023, 04:21:27 PM »
thinking on it more it would be really hard to imagine roine and neal actually fighting over something like a religious reason. i would imagine even if roine doesn't agree with neal's specific beliefs he'd be accepting of them given his own spirituality. deff agree that it seems a bit overplayed that there is a some (any?) drama
Welcome to the Forums!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3410 on: October 30, 2023, 04:21:56 PM »
All signs point to Roine and Neal. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t. We’ve talked about it at length in the Transatlantic thread.

Gonna pop some popcorn and settle in for some reading

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3411 on: October 30, 2023, 04:45:03 PM »
If the issue is between Neal and Roine, I doubt it is over religion, but over way the Neal did his shortened version of The Absolute Universe, which saw him remove quite a bit of Roine's best stuff, not to mention adding a song that Roine didn't even play on (Can You Feel It).  I am sure Neal's intentions were noble, and a couple changes were for the better, but if I were Roine, I would have been pretty ticked.  Neal deciding to remove The World We Used to Know, the centerpiece of the album (and the best song, IMO), just boggles the mind.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3412 on: October 30, 2023, 04:57:42 PM »
Yeah, it’s almost certainly not a religious thing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3413 on: October 30, 2023, 05:02:17 PM »
If the issue is between Neal and Roine, I doubt it is over religion, but over way the Neal did his shortened version of The Absolute Universe, which saw him remove quite a bit of Roine's best stuff, not to mention adding a song that Roine didn't even play on (Can You Feel It).  I am sure Neal's intentions were noble, and a couple changes were for the better, but if I were Roine, I would have been pretty ticked.  Neal deciding to remove The World We Used to Know, the centerpiece of the album (and the best song, IMO), just boggles the mind.

I've always seen this situation the same way, with Mike trying to play peacemaker between the two by suggesting they release both versions - Roine's original, longer idea of the album, and Neal's truncated/re-done version, and while he was at it, make his own version that combined his favorite bits from both while making it longer than either.

It definitely struck me as ironic when Neal was the one who wanted to make the album shorter and Roine wanted it to keep it a double, but I think Neal was maybe worried that he would be associated with putting out so many double albums in such a short time (after TSOAD and TGA came out). There's always going to be more than what we'll ever know about that situation and what their personal feelings were at the time, but I think at this point they've probably mellowed out a bit, but are not likely to reunite any time soon, and it definitely feels like TAU will be their last albums.

As far as how their catalog ranks, it's easily one of my favorites, and while their last two albums feel like a bit of a rehash of their earlier works, it's like being served a really good burger and fries instead of a steak and mashed potatoes. Sure, there's almost the same, and earlier steak and potatoes are probably better than the latter burger and fries, but both are good meals regardless. I think throwing in the towel after album and tour number five was a good call over-all, as they've definitely said all they need to say with their music.

Now, if they do a one-off show in the future, I would not put it past them. Neal would most likely initiate that conversation, but it would probably be part of a festival or a cruise, where Mike, Roine, and Pete also happen to be there in addition to Neal, though given how old they're all getting, and how sporadically everyone but Mike seems to tour, I wouldn't hold my breath.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #3414 on: October 30, 2023, 05:44:31 PM »
Like someone said, this has been discussed extensively over in the TA thread, but in general this is not something that happened suddenly or due to one event. If you've read Neal's newsletters over the years, or seen the Transatlantic Making Of videos, even going back to the one for The Whirlwind, it's clear that there's been some strife for a long time. TAU seems to just be the culmination of it. And I for one am thankful that they called it quits before it turned into anything publicly nasty.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3415 on: October 30, 2023, 06:58:10 PM »
I never saw anything I could consider "strife."  I saw creative differences, and very different personalities, but that happens in a lot of bands without becoming any sort of interpersonal conflict.  Given how much time these guys have spent together, it seems odd to me to try to draw conclusions about their relationships based on clips assembled together into a total of a few hours of video footage. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3416 on: October 30, 2023, 07:23:12 PM »
Like someone said, this has been discussed extensively over in the TA thread, but in general this is not something that happened suddenly or due to one event. If you've read Neal's newsletters over the years, or seen the Transatlantic Making Of videos, even going back to the one for The Whirlwind, it's clear that there's been some strife for a long time. TAU seems to just be the culmination of it. And I for one am thankful that they called it quits before it turned into anything publicly nasty.

I just remember a few interviews with Roine around the time of the release, and while he didn't come right out and say it, his aggravation about how it all went down was pretty clear.  I am pretty sure it was discussed in real time in the TA thread here.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3417 on: October 31, 2023, 12:24:54 PM »
Roine did remixes of all the albums i believe, some are quite interestingly different. Him feeling like his contributions being left out has been there from the get go.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3418 on: October 31, 2023, 12:37:40 PM »
yep.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #3420 on: November 05, 2023, 04:48:12 AM »
Roine did remixes of all the albums i believe, some are quite interestingly different. Him feeling like his contributions being left out has been there from the get go.

I don't think Roine mixed any album other than their debut, with the band ultimately picking Rich Mouser's mix over his.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline HOF

« Reply #3421 on: November 05, 2023, 06:46:17 AM »

I don't think Roine mixed any album other than their debut, with the band ultimately picking Rich Mouser's mix over his.

Didn’t Neal do his own remix of the first album as well? Or maybe he just put out the demos.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3422 on: November 05, 2023, 07:06:39 AM »
He put out demos of the first two.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Rob24

« Reply #3423 on: November 06, 2023, 12:34:18 AM »
The new golden age of DTF, when former and current reunite!

It's really nice to see. I'm an oldschooler too, but I think you guys probably won't remember me.
My name was Keks of Thought back in '04 in DT.net times, some other nicks that I'm forgetting right now and later Mike's Schieaybude in MP.com.

Anyways, sad to see the end of TA, I really wonder what exactly the beef is. TAU didn't really click with me, anyway.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3424 on: December 29, 2023, 11:15:10 AM »
Bumping this thread because MP's set with Umphrey's McGee is tonight in Chicago. The show will be livestreamed on nugs.net, should be easy to sign up for a free one week trial if you want to check it out. I believe the band will be playing two sets, with MP only sitting in for one of them.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3425 on: December 29, 2023, 11:48:25 AM »
Bumping this thread because MP's set with Umphrey's McGee is tonight in Chicago. The show will be livestreamed on nugs.net, should be easy to sign up for a free one week trial if you want to check it out. I believe the band will be playing two sets, with MP only sitting in for one of them.

Hopefully this will be on you tube one day.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3426 on: December 29, 2023, 02:02:28 PM »
As I posted in the concerts thread, I will be there in person. Melody will be in the house as well. Be leaving for my buddy's soon so we can start making our way there.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3427 on: December 30, 2023, 10:15:09 AM »
Fantastic show. First set was all old stuff and Jake was pure fire as always.

I expected a decent amount of covers in MP's set but there was still a lot of jamming and he was a natural fit. Knowing how UM works, I am aware of their communication methods while playing and they were coaching and leading MP quite a bit, but the casual watcher wouldn't have known. Brendan was on the talkback mic quite a bit and you could see him and MP clearly communicating. Ryan also seemed to be leading him occasionally with some body movements on when to drop a beat. Ryan spent a good amount of MP's set facing him and just having a blast. Jake too. You had Ryan and Jake facing MP quite often and just having fun. The whole band seemed really enamored with having the man on stage with them.

My one hope was Wizard Burial Ground and they gave us an awesome WBG to close the second set. I'm still reeling from the show as I got home at like 2:30am. It was a long show and a long night.

Last note, all concert sound guys should take lessons from UM's guy. No earplugs needed and just an amazing balance and clarity in the sound. One of the best sounding shows I have even seen.

EDIT: Oh yeah, they did Big Bottom in the encore with Ryan on Lead Bass 1, Brendan on Lead Bass 2 and MP on Lead Bass 3. It was awesome.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 04:39:30 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3428 on: December 30, 2023, 04:02:25 PM »
Fantastic show. First set was all old stuff and Jake was pure fire as always.

I expected a decent amount of covers in MP's set but there was still a lot of jamming and he was a natural fit. Knowing how UM works, I am aware of their communication methods while playing and they were coaching and leading MP quite a bit, but the casual watcher wouldn't have known. Brendan was on the talkback mic quite a bit and you could see him and MP clearly communication. Ryan also seemed to be leading him occasionally with some body movements on when do drop a beat. Ryan spent a good amount of MP's set facing him and just having a blast. Jake too. You had Ryan and Jake facing MP quite often and just having fun. The whole band seemed really enamored with having the man on stage with them.

My one hope was Wizard Burial Ground and they gave us an awesome WBG to close the second set. I'm still reeling from the show as I got home at like 2:30am. It was a long show and a long night.

Last note, all concert sound guys should take lessons from UM's guy. No earplugs needed and just an amazing balance and clarity in the sound. One of the best sounding shows I have even seen.

EDIT: Oh yeah, they did Big Bottom in the encore with Ryan on Lead Bass 1, Brendan on Lead Bass 2 and MP on Lead Bass 3. It was awesome.
Talk about mudflaps.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3429 on: December 30, 2023, 04:44:17 PM »
Pretty good quality vid of Big Bottom and YYZ.

https://youtu.be/QKe57-xBhio?si=DRK0AWRi5pxVTuFS

Show is already up on Nugs and I have it downloaded.