Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 314145 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #3360 on: October 25, 2023, 01:27:33 PM »
Waiting for home and Train of Naught to get in here.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #3361 on: October 25, 2023, 01:27:51 PM »
I feel MP's days of being in ten bands at a time are over. I think it will be DT full-time, NMB during down time and Winery Dogs maybe 1 more time in 5 years or so.

I think this is likely

This makes sense to me. SOA is pretty much done for (and now I wonder how Derek feels about this news). Flying Colors doesn't seem likely to reunite for another album or full tour, but at least a few one-off shows like the Cruise next year. Transatlantic has felt done for a couple years now so I don't mind them no longer being a thing. And NMB has been sporadic at best. Maybe with Eric doing TEMIC and Mike rejoining DT, perhaps this is a good time for Neal to rejoin Spock's Beard and get that band off to a jump-start for the last leg of their career, rather than petering out of existence as they have been lately (and Ted Leonard is with Pattern-Seeking Animals these days, so I don't think he'd be too upset if Neal came back to SB and took the lead again).

-Marc.
Good idea. NM needs to reunite with SB!
I'd love that :corn

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3362 on: October 25, 2023, 01:28:59 PM »
And yet we still haven’t broken the record for most users online. Someone asked this in the other thread but what happened January 18th of this year?

Was that when Litho posted his score for my submission of Han-tyumi and the Murder of the Universe Suite?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3363 on: October 25, 2023, 01:50:39 PM »
And yet we still haven’t broken the record for most users online. Someone asked this in the other thread but what happened January 18th of this year?

Was that when Litho posted his score for my submission of Han-tyumi and the Murder of the Universe Suite?

Very close, two days later.   :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3364 on: October 25, 2023, 01:52:36 PM »

Very close, two days later.   :lol

Takes time for word to get around I guess.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3365 on: October 25, 2023, 01:56:39 PM »
Other way around, the hype must have been building... 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3366 on: October 25, 2023, 01:57:18 PM »
Borlag and Itchy should be chiming in any time now. :lol :P
Oh fuck no
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3367 on: October 25, 2023, 02:35:45 PM »
I'm holding out fo Hellholming
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3368 on: October 25, 2023, 02:37:18 PM »
Me too!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3369 on: October 25, 2023, 07:20:18 PM »
Borlag lmao, that guy was something else

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3370 on: October 26, 2023, 04:56:55 AM »
AndyDT is my wish.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3371 on: October 26, 2023, 05:05:39 AM »
NickySpanjaards
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3372 on: October 26, 2023, 05:41:59 AM »
We got blob to make an appearance, that was enough for me.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3373 on: October 26, 2023, 05:43:21 AM »
We got blob to make an appearance, that was enough for me.

Yea, I saw that. How long has it been since he last posted?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3374 on: October 26, 2023, 05:49:03 AM »
Way too long....

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3375 on: October 26, 2023, 05:49:33 AM »
Deep cuts:  7th Seal, Father Pyramid. 

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #3376 on: October 26, 2023, 06:05:39 AM »
As long as we're talking about old timers we haven't seen around the forum forever, I'll throw out Omega Monkey and RushAss. I can't remember what I was saying three minutes ago but I can remember people from 19 years ago who I met on an online forum, crazy.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3377 on: October 26, 2023, 06:20:49 AM »
I still talk to Marcus (RushAss) here and there.  He's still one of the funniest people I have ever known.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #3378 on: October 26, 2023, 06:25:58 AM »
I still talk to Marcus (RushAss) here and there.  He's still one of the funniest people I have ever known.
When I tagged him on facebook and suggested he pop in he responded with "Sweet blithering Jesus!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3379 on: October 26, 2023, 07:08:57 AM »
When I tagged him on facebook and suggested he pop in he responded with "Sweet blithering Jesus!"

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

That thread is still a top 5 moment for me when it comes to the hardest I have ever laughed.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #3380 on: October 26, 2023, 07:56:10 AM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

That thread is still a top 5 moment for me when it comes to the hardest I have ever laughed.

Yes me too! I was just saying this morning that I laughed so hard that I cried, then stopped making any sound altogether. I just paid $5 to get back into my old photobucket they had deactivated and hid behind a paywall, in fact, hoping I had some screenshots from it there since I don't have access to my external hard drive where I am right now. So far I don't have that but I do have some extremely old and questionable dtf content lol. Also came across a pic of TheTexasPirate and realized that is a name i haven't thought of in like 15 years lol.

Then saw a pic of Don from the Photoshop Don thread... man we all had a lot of good times.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3381 on: October 26, 2023, 09:54:52 AM »
Haha, yep, much hilarity back then.   :tup :tup

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3382 on: October 26, 2023, 10:08:52 AM »
As long as we're talking about old timers we haven't seen around the forum forever, I'll throw out Omega Monkey and RushAss.

Also came across a pic of TheTexasPirate and realized that is a name i haven't thought of in like 15 years lol.

I met Omega Monkey at a Return To Forever concert.  He could be overly combative on the forum, but that guy knew his music. 

I remember RushAss and TheTexasPirate too, hadn't thought about those names in many years either.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3383 on: October 26, 2023, 10:18:04 AM »
RushAss?  :rollin

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3384 on: October 26, 2023, 11:18:00 AM »
I feel MP's days of being in ten bands at a time are over. I think it will be DT full-time, NMB during down time and Winery Dogs maybe 1 more time in 5 years or so. I'll really miss the NMB as that is truly an incredible band, but hopefully, there will be another album and tour in the future.

I think so too.

But I will say that I loved the 10+ year ride and the many great albums that led to. I honestly even enjoyed the initial Amob. There was always a baseline of quality to the many projects MP was involved in. And almost always a good/great live release. But the NM collabs where definitely where it was at, with Great Adventure and Similtude of a Dream being top 25 of all time albums for me.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3385 on: October 26, 2023, 11:37:16 AM »
It's also possible that TWD and FC (similar to TA) are just ready to wind down naturally. Billy Sheehan is 70. Steve Morse is 69 and we know about his family concerns keeping him occupied. They've each put out three albums, which in my mind always signified something with an artist (not sure why, but it just seems like a minimum number for a proper career). That could have been part of what spurred MP to rejoin DT now. All his other projects were winding down.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #3386 on: October 26, 2023, 11:52:48 AM »
I feel MP's days of being in ten bands at a time are over. I think it will be DT full-time, NMB during down time and Winery Dogs maybe 1 more time in 5 years or so. I'll really miss the NMB as that is truly an incredible band, but hopefully, there will be another album and tour in the future.

But the NM collabs where definitely where it was at, with Great Adventure and Similtude of a Dream being top 25 of all time albums for me.

Neal Morse Band was the most exciting new band to come into my life, aside from Haken, since I first discovered Porcupine Tree thanks to DTF.net back in the day.

Which, it just occurred to me, probably explains why I have two DT tattoos, a PT tattoo, a SW tattoo, a NMB lyrical tattoo, and a Haken tattoo along with my others. Gonna get some more mileage out of my DT ones by the look if it. I'm so excited about music again, it's a joy to be reinvigorated.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3387 on: October 26, 2023, 12:28:57 PM »
It's also possible that TWD and FC (similar to TA) are just ready to wind down naturally. Billy Sheehan is 70. Steve Morse is 69 and we know about his family concerns keeping him occupied. They've each put out three albums, which in my mind always signified something with an artist (not sure why, but it just seems like a minimum number for a proper career). That could have been part of what spurred MP to rejoin DT now. All his other projects were winding down.

I have nothing in writing to back this up, and I'm not speculating on anything, I'm just telling you how I feel, but:  I've gotten the vibe for a couple months now that Neal wants to do other things. I don't know if it's opera, or more deeply, directly religious things (like Joseph).  Mike was, when you look at it, VERY active with Neal across the various projects, and if - IF - that is coming to an end, this is a reasonable, predictable, schedulable gig.   DT has NEVER gone on any official hiatus; this is a regular paying gig, in a way that Mike hasn't appeared to have in a non-Neal scenario.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3388 on: October 26, 2023, 12:58:07 PM »
Yeah, at a minimum, it seems like Neal is going to be more sporadic in his output and I wouldn't be surprised if he really backs off the touring even if he still is up for making albums. So that probably wouldn't be a steady paycheck for Mike without touring.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3389 on: October 27, 2023, 01:27:20 PM »
Biggest surprise from Mike's solo years is that we only got two Transatlantic records. I thought that it had a decent chance to become his main band, but I guess everyone else still had their main projects to focus on. Honestly, after The Absolute Universe, I'm not sure how much Transatlantic I want or need. The guys just seem out of sync with each other, having three "versions" of the same album was a wild move that I still really do not understand, and it makes me wonder if as a group anyone in the room is really interested in owning, and fighting for, the project.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #3390 on: October 27, 2023, 01:28:54 PM »
Transatlantic is definitely done, even without Mike rejoining DT

Offline HOF

« Reply #3391 on: October 27, 2023, 01:34:13 PM »
Posted this in the Neal Morse thread, but Neal had this statement on FB today:

Neal‘s comments on Mike Portnoy returning to Dream Theater:
I just want to say personally that I’m really, really happy for my friend. I know that he and his family are thrilled for him to be back in dream theater, and I’m sure I speak for everybody in NMB, when I say we wish you all the very best!
I’m sure when the time is right, we will write/record together again, but in the meantime, of course, we have a MorseFest London and CTTE with Flying Colors to look forward to.
Every blessing to all,
Neal

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=876235963870585&set=a.257951602365694

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3392 on: October 27, 2023, 01:53:27 PM »

Did someone say that, or is that just your inference based on similar thinking to mine?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3393 on: October 27, 2023, 02:16:00 PM »

Did someone say that, or is that just your inference based on similar thinking to mine?

There were multiple comments by band members (or maybe just MP) up to, during, and after the Paris show that it might likely be the end of Transatlantic. My guess is that there ended up being considerable turmoil behind the scenes for TAU (as evidenced by all the different versions). I'd bet we probably never get another studio album but will hold out hope that a few years from now they go out and do another tour. Maybe spotlight the first two albums since they've largely gotten the shaft outside of medleys for the last couple tours.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3394 on: October 27, 2023, 04:13:47 PM »
My understanding was that it was likely their final live performance, not that they may never record again.

Obviously, I could be wrong.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.