Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 314121 times)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #3325 on: October 25, 2023, 09:22:56 AM »
It had to have started with conversations between JP and MP, right? They're friends and hang out. I can imagine JM and JR wouldn't have taken much convincing. JLB is the one with the biggest beef with MP, so I'm curious how much his opinion mattered or if he and MP had truly buried the hatchet and were ready to work together again.

I hope it was more of a musical and friendship decision (wouldn't it be great to work together again and recapture that old energy?) rather than a business one (the tours haven't been selling out lately how do we get more butts in the seats?)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3326 on: October 25, 2023, 09:36:20 AM »
It had to have started with conversations between JP and MP, right? They're friends and hang out. I can imagine JM and JR wouldn't have taken much convincing. JLB is the one with the biggest beef with MP, so I'm curious how much his opinion mattered or if he and MP had truly buried the hatchet and were ready to work together again.

I hope it was more of a musical and friendship decision (wouldn't it be great to work together again and recapture that old energy?) rather than a business one (the tours haven't been selling out lately how do we get more butts in the seats?)

Can't imagine the business doesn't come into play, but I certainly hope there's ALSO the joy of playing with the guys again. One can only assume JLB and MP truly did bury the hatchet last year.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3327 on: October 25, 2023, 09:41:29 AM »
Well, ain’t this a surprise!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline HOF

« Reply #3328 on: October 25, 2023, 09:46:39 AM »
I really hope he opens his forum back now! I mean I'm still going to be here but I miss his 6:00 gifts and other surprises.

Heck yeah! The first thing I thought with the purple shaded band photo on the announcement was “he needs to bring the forum back!”

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3329 on: October 25, 2023, 09:48:37 AM »
Now that he's back... will he ever release his Shattered Fortress live thing? He said at the time he didn't do it because it would mean too much red tape for him to deal with.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3330 on: October 25, 2023, 09:49:48 AM »
Even Elite comes back for this  :)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3331 on: October 25, 2023, 09:50:02 AM »
Now that he's back... will he ever release his Shattered Fortress live thing? He said at the time he didn't do it because it would mean too much red tape for him to deal with.

Why would he when they will clearly do the whole thing on tour next year?!  :corn
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3332 on: October 25, 2023, 09:57:15 AM »

Why would he when they will clearly do the whole thing on tour next year?!  :corn

If that's what it takes for them to play The Glass Prison again, fuck it, I'm down.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3333 on: October 25, 2023, 09:58:53 AM »

If that's what it takes for them to play The Glass Prison again, fuck it, I'm down.

I'd rather take The Best of Times, just for that solo...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3334 on: October 25, 2023, 10:00:36 AM »

Even brought you out of hiding. Good to see you dude!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3335 on: October 25, 2023, 10:14:28 AM »
Not saying I saw this happening, because I really didn't, but with SOA done and TA done, FC and NMB inactive and TWD finishing their cycle for a while, I was really wondering if Mike was going to try to get back at some point. We obviously don't know who started the conversations, but things worked out well for him in the end.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3336 on: October 25, 2023, 10:19:41 AM »

Can't imagine the business doesn't come into play, but I certainly hope there's ALSO the joy of playing with the guys again. One can only assume JLB and MP truly did bury the hatchet last year.

I saw two of the solo shows - admittedly, early ones (including second night and the show at Berkley) - and they were CLEARLY having fun.  That wasn't for business.  There was an organic quality to it that I hadn't really seen in a while from either of them.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 10:39:08 AM by Stadler »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3337 on: October 25, 2023, 10:31:17 AM »
I saw the same at the two FL shows I attended.
Photobucket sucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3338 on: October 25, 2023, 10:39:20 AM »
So since he's back in the band, should this thread be moved to the DT side :neverusethis:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3339 on: October 25, 2023, 10:54:23 AM »

I saw two of the solo shows - admittedly, early ones (including second night and the show at Berkley) - and they were CLEARLY having fun.  That wasn't for business.  There was an organic quality to it that I hadn't really seen in a while from either of them.

Well, I still can't help but think business still played a role, but I saw the show too and agree, they looked like they were having fun and it was more personal than just the business side of things.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3340 on: October 25, 2023, 11:16:09 AM »
So since he's back in the band, should this thread be moved to the DT side :neverusethis:
Not yet
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #3341 on: October 25, 2023, 11:17:09 AM »
Not yet
I guess when it moves over there, then the MM appreciation thread comes here? Wild stuff.  :D

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3342 on: October 25, 2023, 11:34:08 AM »
Awake turns 30 next year, maybe they'll sprinkle the setlist with some Awake songs. Although they did it when I saw them 10 years ago.

I so hope we finally get the Mind Beside Itself suite again....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3343 on: October 25, 2023, 11:41:24 AM »
Ummm? I don't know how to react to this.
Edit: Its excellent for public relations and MP and his fans but in the big picture I don't think it impacts the quality of the music. I'm sure the next album will be great. The next tour will be massive.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 12:40:20 PM by Glasser »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3344 on: October 25, 2023, 11:43:27 AM »
Not yet
I guess when it moves over there, then the MM appreciation thread comes here? Wild stuff.  :D
The Universe is a crazy place.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #3345 on: October 25, 2023, 11:53:09 AM »
Not saying I saw this happening, because I really didn't, but with SOA done and TA done, FC and NMB inactive and TWD finishing their cycle for a while, I was really wondering if Mike was going to try to get back at some point.
Yeah, I actually commented on MP's suspiciously empty schedule for the near future just last week, smelling something was up. I was expecting some LTE activity, though - close, but not quite on target.  :laugh:
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #3346 on: October 25, 2023, 12:02:01 PM »
I feel MP's days of being in ten bands at a time are over. I think it will be DT full-time, NMB during down time and Winery Dogs maybe 1 more time in 5 years or so. I'll really miss the NMB as that is truly an incredible band, but hopefully, there will be another album and tour in the future.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #3347 on: October 25, 2023, 12:14:37 PM »
I feel MP's days of being in ten bands at a time are over. I think it will be DT full-time, NMB during down time and Winery Dogs maybe 1 more time in 5 years or so.

I think this is likely

Offline HOF

« Reply #3348 on: October 25, 2023, 12:31:29 PM »
Not saying I saw this happening, because I really didn't, but with SOA done and TA done, FC and NMB inactive and TWD finishing their cycle for a while, I was really wondering if Mike was going to try to get back at some point.
Yeah, I actually commented on MP's suspiciously empty schedule for the near future just last week, smelling something was up. I was expecting some LTE activity, though - close, but not quite on target.  :laugh:

I can't remember where I saw it (I imagine Facebook), but Mike did hint recently that he had something special in the works that he couldn't announce yet. I'm thinking this may have bene it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3349 on: October 25, 2023, 12:35:13 PM »
I feel MP's days of being in ten bands at a time are over. I think it will be DT full-time, NMB during down time and Winery Dogs maybe 1 more time in 5 years or so.

I think this is likely

This makes sense to me. SOA is pretty much done for (and now I wonder how Derek feels about this news). Flying Colors doesn't seem likely to reunite for another album or full tour, but at least a few one-off shows like the Cruise next year. Transatlantic has felt done for a couple years now so I don't mind them no longer being a thing. And NMB has been sporadic at best. Maybe with Eric doing TEMIC and Mike rejoining DT, perhaps this is a good time for Neal to rejoin Spock's Beard and get that band off to a jump-start for the last leg of their career, rather than petering out of existence as they have been lately (and Ted Leonard is with Pattern-Seeking Animals these days, so I don't think he'd be too upset if Neal came back to SB and took the lead again).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #3350 on: October 25, 2023, 12:42:07 PM »

I think this is likely

This makes sense to me. SOA is pretty much done for (and now I wonder how Derek feels about this news). Flying Colors doesn't seem likely to reunite for another album or full tour, but at least a few one-off shows like the Cruise next year. Transatlantic has felt done for a couple years now so I don't mind them no longer being a thing. And NMB has been sporadic at best. Maybe with Eric doing TEMIC and Mike rejoining DT, perhaps this is a good time for Neal to rejoin Spock's Beard and get that band off to a jump-start for the last leg of their career, rather than petering out of existence as they have been lately (and Ted Leonard is with Pattern-Seeking Animals these days, so I don't think he'd be too upset if Neal came back to SB and took the lead again).

-Marc.
Good idea. NM needs to reunite with SB and then co-headline a Spock's/DT tour. I missed them opening for DT back in the day and I've always regretted it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3351 on: October 25, 2023, 01:01:50 PM »

I can't remember where I saw it (I imagine Facebook), but Mike did hint recently that he had something special in the works that he couldn't announce yet. I'm thinking this may have been it.

I remember something like this as well, but it beats me where I actually did read that.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3352 on: October 25, 2023, 01:02:48 PM »
The return of MP and Elite in the same day, it's Christmas in October!

Gonna take time to process this.  It's kind of funny, just within the last month or two I remember having a random thought about all the drama when he left, remember listening to an interview at the time where MP talked about wondering whether he'd ever be able to rejoin down the road or whether that would be the end, and given it's now been over a dozen years since then, whether it was more or less likely now.  Must have been something in the ether. 

with SOA done and TA done, FC and NMB inactive and TWD

It amuses me that even though I listen to none of these bands regularly, I know exactly who they are all abbreviations for instantly. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3353 on: October 25, 2023, 01:04:42 PM »

Don't forget Kev and emtee!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3354 on: October 25, 2023, 01:06:20 PM »

Don't forget Kev and emtee!

Outstanding!  This forum is moving way too fast today for me.   :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3355 on: October 25, 2023, 01:17:36 PM »
And Indiscipline has just commented :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3356 on: October 25, 2023, 01:18:54 PM »
Borlag and Itchy should be chiming in any time now. :lol :P

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3357 on: October 25, 2023, 01:23:08 PM »
It’s great seeing all these familiar faces come out of the wooodwork. It’s like a damn high school reunion in here, except it’s people you actually want to see  :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3358 on: October 25, 2023, 01:24:38 PM »
The new golden age of DTF, when former and current reunite!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3359 on: October 25, 2023, 01:27:26 PM »
And yet we still haven’t broken the record for most users online. Someone asked this in the other thread but what happened January 18th of this year?