Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 319302 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #3220 on: September 27, 2023, 09:16:06 AM »
has anyone ever embarked on a pilgrim's path journey with mike portnoy's music? i've been thinking about this lately, and it sounds like quite the adventure. the idea is to listen to every single record he's been a part of, in chronological order, without taking any breaks.
No.

oooh sorry. i didn't realize that wasn't obvious lol
A common reaction.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3221 on: September 27, 2023, 09:52:12 AM »
I'd like to see that list, I don't wanna listen to it, but I would like to see it.

I'd like to see it to, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to listen to it.

I wanna see this list too, but I definitely don’t want to listen to it.

I mean, Wikipedia has a list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Portnoy_discography#Albums_discography

This says that "Inner Sanctum" and "S.A. Adams" were from 1986.  Does that make sense?  MP, JM and JP started at Berklee in the fall of 1985.  I don't remember exactly when they dropped out, but it would have been in late 1985 or the first half of 1986.  I thought they worked together from then on.  Did MP work with other bands after they left Berklee and before they started working as Majesty?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3222 on: September 27, 2023, 01:49:36 PM »
I know MP wrote and demo'd  a bunch of songs with John Sykes but it never went further. I could only assume that it would've been pretty amazing.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3223 on: September 27, 2023, 02:32:06 PM »
Didn't that evolve into Winery Dogs?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3224 on: September 27, 2023, 02:35:19 PM »

Not sure but John Sykes would have been great.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3225 on: September 27, 2023, 02:38:42 PM »

I think is was.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3226 on: September 27, 2023, 02:41:08 PM »
Not really. Evolving implies that there was merely a lineup change, but this was much more than that. Basically the band that MP and Billy Sheehan would've done with Sykes was put in the can because Sykes kept dragging his feet. At the same time Eddie Trunk suggested that Richie Kotzen would be a great guy to work with, so MP and Billy started a new band with him. So they're connected, but evolving is not the correct word. IIRC, even MP himself has stated as much.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3227 on: September 27, 2023, 02:44:30 PM »
Not really. Evolving implies that there was merely a lineup change, but this was much more than that. Basically the band that MP and Billy Sheehan would've done with Sykes was put in the can because Sykes kept dragging his feet. At the same time Eddie Trunk suggested that Richie Kotzen would be a great guy to work with, so MP and Billy started a new band with him. So they're connected, but evolving is not the correct word. IIRC, even MP himself has stated as much.

Sykes is more my thing.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 10:30:18 PM by Glasser »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3228 on: September 27, 2023, 05:31:23 PM »

Semantics!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3229 on: September 27, 2023, 10:42:50 PM »
Well that's pretty much what I was unsure about. I knew that the band consisted of Sheehan/MP/Sykes and then Eddie Trunk suggested Kotzen. I just wasn't sure if there was material that the two of them had worked on with Sykes that got carried over or if they started fresh. Thanks for the clarity!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3230 on: September 28, 2023, 06:31:22 AM »
I know MP wrote and demo'd  a bunch of songs with John Sykes but it never went further. I could only assume that it would've been pretty amazing.

Did they actually put music to tape? 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3231 on: September 28, 2023, 07:04:52 AM »
I believe they did some demos together - whether those were full re-recordings or just MP (and maybe Billy) recording to Sykes' already existing demos is unknown.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3232 on: September 28, 2023, 12:59:30 PM »

Yes, I know they did a bunch of demos that I heard were incredible.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3233 on: September 28, 2023, 01:11:42 PM »
they're going to reunite to do remastered/re-recorded takes of the songs once MP gets into his new house in Queen Anne and sets up his recording studio :metal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3234 on: September 28, 2023, 07:55:30 PM »
they're going to reunite to do remastered/re-recorded takes of the songs once MP gets into his new house in Queen Anne and sets up his recording studio :metal

:lol :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3235 on: September 29, 2023, 09:56:45 AM »
I wonder if he was invited by the team or the drum line or what.

I wonder that as well, what's his connection to the Seahawks?  Pretty cool regardless, love to see him at a Giants game.

Speaking of seeing him, I wonder if he'll be at the Code Orange album release show in NYC this week to support his son.  I plan on attending.

Yup, MP was at the show last night.  The entire Portnoy family.  I watched as security gave them a bit of a hassle coming into the venue  :lol Max was with them too before he hit the stage. Really cool to see the family out supporting Max. From my seat I could even see MP taking video on his phone.  I did say a brief hi, but I didn't want to impede on his family.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3236 on: September 29, 2023, 10:02:36 AM »
I could look this up, but is Code Orange a new band Max is in, or did his last one change their name?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #3237 on: September 29, 2023, 10:10:21 AM »
It’s a new band he’s in. I think he left his old band, whose name escapes me.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3238 on: September 29, 2023, 10:11:42 AM »

Tala I believe. Wasn't my cup of tea for sure!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3239 on: September 29, 2023, 10:16:31 AM »

He's in both, Tallah is the other.  Both are kind of similar, fairly extreme hardcore/metal.  Code Orange's singer was the original drummer and he stopped to focus more on being the lead singer so Max stepped in to be their drummer a couple years ago. They did one song last night where the singer played drums and it looked like Max was playing keyboard. (they have a keyboardist/techno guy on stage)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #3240 on: September 29, 2023, 10:18:19 AM »
Oh I was thinking of Next to None. Never heard of Tallah

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3241 on: September 29, 2023, 10:25:13 AM »
I thought Next to None was no more, but I could be wrong.  I forgot about them actually.

Here's a Code Orange song from last night if anyone's interested: Code Orange - Drowning In It LIVE @ Gramercy Theater New York City NY 9/28/2023

Offline HOF

« Reply #3242 on: September 29, 2023, 10:29:56 AM »
I thought Next to None was no more, but I could be wrong.  I forgot about them actually.

Here's a Code Orange song from last night if anyone's interested: Code Orange - Drowning In It LIVE @ Gramercy Theater New York City NY 9/28/2023

Looks like a painful show!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3243 on: September 29, 2023, 10:35:59 AM »
The mosh pits were insane. People doing cartwheels and jump kicks. It was actually incredible to watch from the seats in the back. I'm way too old to get in that  :lol I've got better videos of the mosh pits too.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3244 on: September 29, 2023, 12:28:46 PM »
N2N fizzled out so Max formed Tallah as a result. Code Orange came about years after Tallah was formed and N2N folded.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3245 on: September 29, 2023, 01:17:47 PM »
I'm glad to see Max having some success. Next to None always felt a little bit too much like "my Dad did it for me". Not that they shouldn't have been proud of what they made, but it seems like the kind of thing that would not have gotten made without Max's dad being who he is.

With Tallah and Code Orange, it seems like Max has found his own way, even if that thing isn't for me.

« Reply #3246 on: September 29, 2023, 01:20:05 PM »
hopefully Code Orange finds a good crowd in the PNW
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3247 on: September 30, 2023, 11:52:44 AM »

has anyone ever embarked on a pilgrim's path journey with mike portnoy's music? i've been thinking about this lately, and it sounds like quite the adventure. the idea is to listen to every single record he's been a part of, in chronological order, without taking any breaks. it's a musical pilgrimage of sorts, isn't it? starting with those early dream theater albums, like "when dream and day unite" and "images and words," and then moving through all the other projects and bands he's been involved with over the years. it would be a journey through different styles and genres, from progressive metal to rock to experimental stuff. i imagine it would take quite a bit of time to complete, but the idea of immersing yourself in mike portnoy's musical evolution is intriguing. you'd get to witness his drumming skills evolve, his songwriting develop, and the way he collaborates with different musicians change over time.

i heard a rumor that if you manage to complete the mike portnoy pilgrim path challenge, you can earn a nice piece of flair in the dream theater discord. it's like a badge of honor for dedicated fans. i wonder what that flair would look like.

anyway, just wanted to share this idea and see if anyone else has ever thought about doing something similar. it could be a truly epic musical journey.

It’s a cool idea. According to Wiki, MP has been involved in over 50 albums. That’s just way too much and I probably won’t like a good amount of it. Some of it might even drive me psychosane. So I’ll pass. But let us know how it goes!

And listening to some things on double speed or whatever seems to miss the point.

Try listening while watching Twin Peaks muted.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3248 on: September 30, 2023, 11:54:55 AM »

Semantics!!
Tim knows Semantics.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3249 on: October 01, 2023, 07:15:24 AM »
I'm glad to see Max having some success. Next to None always felt a little bit too much like "my Dad did it for me". Not that they shouldn't have been proud of what they made, but it seems like the kind of thing that would not have gotten made without Max's dad being who he is.

You mean a completely new band of teenagers doesn't usually get a two album deal with Inside Out plus guest appearances from Neal Morse and Bumblefoot on their debut album? :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

« Reply #3250 on: October 01, 2023, 12:05:14 PM »
no, i would not say that is standard
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline obro

« Reply #3251 on: October 03, 2023, 09:09:03 AM »
Anybody else miss Mike his engagement with the fans, like the Christmas morning eastereggs or the twitter Q&A’s?
He used to be so invested in the fan base and it was a ton of fun to discover some of his insights or gain knowledge of what he’s up to.
Maybe I’m nostalgic, but I sure miss it

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3252 on: October 03, 2023, 09:15:36 AM »
Anybody else miss Mike his engagement with the fans, like the Christmas morning eastereggs or the twitter Q&A’s?
He used to be so invested in the fan base and it was a ton of fun to discover some of his insights or gain knowledge of what he’s up to.

I certainly miss him on twitter.  Sure, he's active on Instagram, but it's not the same.  Sadly, another one of my favorite twitter musicians also just quit the platform due to Elon's takeover.   Sucks to see this happening.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3253 on: October 03, 2023, 11:53:25 AM »

Mike was someone I considered a friend many moons ago. We actually spoke almost every day at one point and it was mutual. I understand people change and have their own lives BUT to do a total 180 is just sad. I know he had his demons and when his father passed it crushed him, they were VERY close. Life can be bittering but when you have legions of devoted fans courtesy shouldn't be that hard no matter what.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3254 on: October 03, 2023, 02:19:52 PM »
From MP's Facebook page:
Here’s one you probably didn’t have on your 2023 MP Bingo Card…yes indeed, I will be playing drums for the incredible Umphreys Mcgee for one very special show on Dec 29th as part of their New Years Eve run at the Riviera Theater in Chicago! 🎉🎊🍾🎈
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."