Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 314125 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #3115 on: September 18, 2023, 10:19:38 AM »
I think the answer is likely somewhere in between.  Yeah, 50th is a long time.  But there are bands around today that have done it.  Metallica are only 8 years from that (less, actually).  Def Leppard are 4 years away.  U2 are 3 years.  Maiden are 2.  Rush made it to 50.  Bands like Aerosmith, Y&T, and the Stones are past 50.  Again, not sure DT will hang around that long, but they could.  There is certainly precedent.  3 bands that are major influences on DT are on that list above.  Whether or not they make it to 50 years, I think it will be closer to 50 than to just "one more album and tour cycle."  They are not showing ANY signs of wanting to wind it up after the next album and tour (which will take them past 40 years), despite that people have been saying "just one more album and tour cycle" since Octavarium.  That day will come, but I don't think we are close to it yet.

None of those bands play the demanding music that Dream Theater does. They may last longer if their "Evening With's" are done (except for maybe an especially special gig.) Definitely close to the end but who knows how close. 5 years? 7? 10?

I get that we love here to say how amazing DT is (AND THEY ARE!, no question) but I look at Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Robert Fripp, Rick Wakeman... they all played or are playing into their 70s, and still playing at a decent enough level (yes, I know there have been criticisms about Yes and tempos...), I think, respectfully (and excepting the drummers) that we're talking ART, not athletic competitions.    I want to hear what DT (and others) today think of the music of their past.  If they can't play it any longer, so be it, show me what you do with that.

They may have dexterity in their fingers, but don't tell me John Myung is "losing eight pounds every performance" (I read that somewhere about Mick Jagger).   Kiss; they figured out a way to be way more athletic on stage than half the people here (at 2/3 the age), and those members that couldn't hang, well....  All artists are humans, and all humans have to deal with their mortality.  I used to play softball tournaments where I'd play 10 games in a weekend.  I can't play one game in a WEEK now, and that's the way it goes. 

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3116 on: September 18, 2023, 10:41:56 AM »
I think the answer is likely somewhere in between.  Yeah, 50th is a long time.  But there are bands around today that have done it.  Metallica are only 8 years from that (less, actually).  Def Leppard are 4 years away.  U2 are 3 years.  Maiden are 2.  Rush made it to 50.  Bands like Aerosmith, Y&T, and the Stones are past 50.  Again, not sure DT will hang around that long, but they could.  There is certainly precedent.  3 bands that are major influences on DT are on that list above.  Whether or not they make it to 50 years, I think it will be closer to 50 than to just "one more album and tour cycle."  They are not showing ANY signs of wanting to wind it up after the next album and tour (which will take them past 40 years), despite that people have been saying "just one more album and tour cycle" since Octavarium.  That day will come, but I don't think we are close to it yet.

None of those bands play the demanding music that Dream Theater does. They may last longer if their "Evening With's" are done (except for maybe an especially special gig.) Definitely close to the end but who knows how close. 5 years? 7? 10?

I get that we love here to say how amazing DT is (AND THEY ARE!, no question) but I look at Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Robert Fripp, Rick Wakeman... they all played or are playing into their 70s, and still playing at a decent enough level (yes, I know there have been criticisms about Yes and tempos...), I think, respectfully (and excepting the drummers) that we're talking ART, not athletic competitions.    I want to hear what DT (and others) today think of the music of their past.  If they can't play it any longer, so be it, show me what you do with that.

They may have dexterity in their fingers, but don't tell me John Myung is "losing eight pounds every performance" (I read that somewhere about Mick Jagger).   Kiss; they figured out a way to be way more athletic on stage than half the people here (at 2/3 the age), and those members that couldn't hang, well....  All artists are humans, and all humans have to deal with their mortality.  I used to play softball tournaments where I'd play 10 games in a weekend.  I can't play one game in a WEEK now, and that's the way it goes.

if you couldn't even play one softball game in a week, maybe you should practice more. that'd be my recommendation
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3117 on: September 18, 2023, 10:45:26 AM »

if you couldn't even play one softball game in a week, maybe you should practice more. that'd be my recommendation

I have some recommendations, too, but I'll keep them to myself for now. 

(For the rest, it was hyperbole.)

« Reply #3118 on: September 18, 2023, 10:47:16 AM »
ah gotcha, didn't know you were speaking metaphorically. what a weird way to communicate a metaphor. might just be a generational difference between us, no problem!  :tup
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3119 on: September 18, 2023, 10:48:18 AM »

Jeez, man.  :huh:

Hey, let's try and remember that we're all friends here...

« Reply #3120 on: September 18, 2023, 10:49:14 AM »

Jeez, man.  :huh:

Hey, let's try and remember that we're all friends here...

no offense was intended. it was a simple reading of the post (seeing that they could no longer play softball much) and suggesting practice. like i mentioned i think it was just a generational difference between us! no harm intended!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3121 on: September 18, 2023, 12:38:41 PM »
ah gotcha, didn't know you were speaking metaphorically. what a weird way to communicate a metaphor. might just be a generational difference between us, no problem!  :tup

It's weird, because it's not a metaphor, it's hyperbole. Exaggeration.  And it wasn't really the main point of the comment.  The point was, certain things are athletic enough where you're either in or you're out.  I played softball at a very high level (I've been on a team that won a national tournament) and it came to a point where I risked getting hurt (I played third base) if I didn't get the glove up in time.  No one in DT is going to get a black eye or lose a tooth if they don't get their arpeggio up in time. ;)

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3122 on: September 18, 2023, 12:41:55 PM »

It's weird, because it's not a metaphor, it's hyperbole. Exaggeration.  And it wasn't really the main point of the comment.  The point was, certain things are athletic enough where you're either in or you're out.  I played softball at a very high level (I've been on a team that won a national tournament) and it came to a point where I risked getting hurt (I played third base) if I didn't get the glove up in time.  No one in DT is going to get a black eye or lose a tooth if they don't get their arpeggio up in time. ;)

So you're saying JP is not a good infielder but as long as he continues his hot hitting all is ok??  :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3123 on: September 18, 2023, 12:58:42 PM »

So you're saying JP is not a good infielder but as long as he continues his hot hitting all is ok??  :biggrin:

Exactly!!!

« Reply #3124 on: September 18, 2023, 01:01:59 PM »
yeah, sorry for the confusion folks. i guess there's just a disconnect between silent generation and millennials humor that i got confused with the "hyperbole"
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3125 on: September 18, 2023, 01:05:07 PM »
No harm no foul...  the funny thing is, I bag on my daughter - she's 22 - for engaging in TOO MUCH hyperbole.  "I'm super this" and "I'm super that!"  Why can't you just be "this", or "that"?   Why do you have to be SUPER "this" or "that"?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3126 on: September 18, 2023, 02:36:47 PM »

Musicians deal with physical injuries and limitations that are a lot less apparent though. As I was recent to learn, before Neil Peart died, Alex's arthritis was one of the major reasons that Rush weren't touring more.

Some guys are just incredibly gifted in the genetic sense but there are more physical complications that come up with performing and I don't really see them get credit a whole lot.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3127 on: September 18, 2023, 02:43:10 PM »

Musicians deal with physical injuries and limitations that are a lot less apparent though. As I was recent to learn, before Neil Peart died, Alex's arthritis was one of the major reasons that Rush weren't touring more.

Some guys are just incredibly gifted in the genetic sense but there are more physical complications that come up with performing and I don't really see them get credit a whole lot.

I don't know how luxurious DT's touring accommodations are (they probably are able to be a bit pampered there), but just the crazy hours and travel schedules alone have to get tougher when you get older.

« Reply #3128 on: September 18, 2023, 02:47:16 PM »

I don't know how luxurious DT's touring accommodations are (they probably are able to be a bit pampered there), but just the crazy hours and travel schedules alone have to get tougher when you get older.

i remember the chaos over the world tour (the one that looked like a MP home video) DVD and it had a bunch of really awesome extras and one of them was about james' daily tour life and in it it featured him running 5 miles a day on a treadmill while doing his vocal warmups. i always think of that video when seeing him sing live on stage now because it's funny to imagine him making his famous james faces and running on a treadmill while singing.

just as long as he doesn't fall and get hurt, i think the image is incredibly amusing

edit: made a quick "photoshop" to try and illustrate what i mean

Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3129 on: September 19, 2023, 06:41:22 AM »

And I do get that (and am aware my post doesn't really reflect that understanding).  I've already excluded drummer's from the list, but Peter Criss and Bill Ward are two examples of people that just aren't physically capable of doing what it takes to drive a two-hour rock show at this point.

But the point I was getting to is, Robert Fripp sits on a stool. Axl Rose had an entire throne built for him and made it the center piece of the stage when he was injured.  Had be been a pro football player, he was on the sidelines, no questions asked.  There ARE ways of compensating for physical infirmities.   Golf is the best example; pro golfers retire around the same time - maybe a LITTLE later - than most pro athletes, because the body has a finite period to perform in a limitless way.  But you CAN be a successful golfer well past that, with accommodation. Vincent Furnier - you know him as Alice Cooper - is a scratch golfer to this day at age 75. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3130 on: September 19, 2023, 09:39:07 AM »

And I do get that (and am aware my post doesn't really reflect that understanding).  I've already excluded drummer's from the list, but Peter Criss and Bill Ward are two examples of people that just aren't physically capable of doing what it takes to drive a two-hour rock show at this point.

But the point I was getting to is, Robert Fripp sits on a stool. Axl Rose had an entire throne built for him and made it the center piece of the stage when he was injured. 

Just to nitpick, the throne was built for Dave Grohl who experienced a similar injury. When Axl broke his ankle or whatever, Grohl leant it to him which was kind of cool considering their history. The main feud was with Kurt but I remember Dave grabbing the mic of whatever MTV thing back in the day and going, "Hi Axl!" over and over again. This was after some words were shared between Kurt and Axl.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3131 on: September 19, 2023, 10:54:55 AM »

But the point I was getting to is, Robert Fripp sits on a stool. Axl Rose had an entire throne built for him and made it the center piece of the stage when he was injured. 

Just to nitpick, the throne was built for Dave Grohl who experienced a similar injury. When Axl broke his ankle or whatever, Grohl leant it to him which was kind of cool considering their history. The main feud was with Kurt but I remember Dave grabbing the mic of whatever MTV thing back in the day and going, "Hi Axl!" over and over again. This was after some words were shared between Kurt and Axl.
Learn something new!  I knew Grohl had a throne too, I didn't realize it was the same one!  Cool (though I'm not the hugest Grohl fan, honestly).

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3132 on: September 19, 2023, 01:51:44 PM »
Music? Personality? He gets a little annoying to be sure but I'm a big King Diamond fan and Dave had him on a little metal project he did which forced me to open my otherwise closed mind (at the time) and I actually started to dig the Foo Fighters.

Saw them once. It was a good time. Don't really feel the need to see them again.

Funny story: I was wearing a foo fighters shirt in Kona Hawaii. I was at a small national park and the park ranger says, "Nice shirt! I met Dave yesterday at Costco" and points across the street. We talked, he pulled out his phone and showed me the selfie. Dave was eating a hot dog by himself and noticed them staring so he approached them and was like, "hey guys. I'm Dave." Seems like a pretty cool dude.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3133 on: September 19, 2023, 02:11:01 PM »
JP credits his condition to just pure luck, per some interviews I read. He says other guys who use good technique and take care of themselves just as well as he does get those injuries and conditions from playing guitar and he just doesn't. Kind of scary to think that all kinds of world class careers just hang in the balance between genes and the way someone learned to move their fingers on the instrument when they were 5 or 8 or 10. And in a way that none could be the wiser until he actually gets that injury or that condition and a doctor looks at him and says "well in hindsight it was that repetitive movement that got your ass." Not that people would take away JP's world class career if he could suddenly play 10% less of his own stuff :lol but he would cease to be that guy he is now and become someone else.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3134 on: September 20, 2023, 08:40:02 AM »
JP credits his condition to just pure luck, per some interviews I read. He says other guys who use good technique and take care of themselves just as well as he does get those injuries and conditions from playing guitar and he just doesn't. Kind of scary to think that all kinds of world class careers just hang in the balance between genes and the way someone learned to move their fingers on the instrument when they were 5 or 8 or 10. And in a way that none could be the wiser until he actually gets that injury or that condition and a doctor looks at him and says "well in hindsight it was that repetitive movement that got your ass." Not that people would take away JP's world class career if he could suddenly play 10% less of his own stuff :lol but he would cease to be that guy he is now and become someone else.

I think your post is going to be another thread, haha!  I was thinking about this the other day in an un-related context and it struck me that no doctor worth his salt would just say "eh, you're this because of dumb luck!"    We - humans - LOVE to see patterns and love to be able to attribute cause and effect, even when it doesn't actually exist.   I would even argue, our survival as a species depends on it.

The reality is, too many factors are involved, and too many variables for us to reliably track. Does his weight lifting help or hurt?   Might help, but one side effect of big bulk is limited flexibility, a negative when you're playing an instrument, so who knows?   Does his eating meat help or hurt?  Whatever drinking he does (I've never heard any rumblings of a problem but he has a liquor brand so I'm guessing not a tee-totaler), does that help or hurt? 

Steve Morse - hero and friend to John - is a great example; the man plays obsessively, and he's spoken candidly of his need to adjust his style to account for physical limitations (he has written about pain in his right wrist, and now wears a significant brace on his arm when he plays, and sometimes looks to be in pain while playing; I noted this during a Dregs show where I was in the front row, as well as during the Flying Colors show I saw in NYC.).

I think luck plays a big part, but that narrative doesn't really cut the mustard in a society that is predicated on "anyone can do it with enough hard work!"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3135 on: September 20, 2023, 08:45:01 AM »
I would relate it to athletes.  So many people are very athletic, but only a select few are blessed with the genes to be the best.  (of course you still need to practice and work on the talent, but you have to have "it" to be at the top)  Sort of like how JR has perfect pitch.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3136 on: September 23, 2023, 03:40:15 PM »
So Mike is playing with a drumline at the Seattle Seahawks (American football) game tomorrow.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0JexgqM5aZXnYqdcab8bXcA51jX7XAGpPrR9b2chmg2t6rkdLTo7M1DfAkAMKNyVvl&id=100044540401846

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3137 on: September 23, 2023, 10:52:52 PM »
Disgusting. I have officially lost all respect for him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3138 on: September 24, 2023, 12:14:46 AM »

Right? Seattle of all places...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3139 on: September 24, 2023, 01:19:07 PM »

Right? Seattle of all places...

-Marc.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3140 on: September 24, 2023, 01:30:57 PM »
Sigh… Could I love him more??  :heart

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3141 on: September 24, 2023, 01:38:59 PM »

I wonder if he was invited by the team or the drum line or what.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

« Reply #3142 on: September 24, 2023, 01:41:22 PM »
MP invites himself and people listen.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3143 on: September 24, 2023, 02:56:40 PM »

Love his drumming but it ends right there. I have my reasons.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3144 on: September 24, 2023, 03:09:14 PM »
He flew Seahawk colors when Transatlantic played here the same night we won the Super Bowl.

The universe has linked Mike Portnoy to the Seahawks.  :rollin :rollin :rollin :heart :heart :heart

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3145 on: September 24, 2023, 09:21:37 PM »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3146 on: September 24, 2023, 09:38:03 PM »
He posted some videos on his instagram story, pretty dope.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3147 on: September 24, 2023, 11:17:25 PM »
Yeah, he's dead to me.  I'll never buy another MP-related project again.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3148 on: September 25, 2023, 08:24:55 AM »
Yeah, he's dead to me.  I'll never buy another MP-related project again.

Hope you didn't buy An Evening Of I&D from Metropolaris yet.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3149 on: September 25, 2023, 09:05:48 AM »
I wonder if he was invited by the team or the drum line or what.

I wonder that as well, what's his connection to the Seahawks?  Pretty cool regardless, love to see him at a Giants game.

Speaking of seeing him, I wonder if he'll be at the Code Orange album release show in NYC this week to support his son.  I plan on attending.