Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313712 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #3080 on: August 31, 2023, 09:11:43 PM »
Agree on some. For the record though, Rush ended on their 40th anniversary. 41 actually lol. I could see DT making it to 40. 

If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not a Rush fan, so I could very well be), it was the 40th anniversary of their self-titled album.  But at the end of the tour, it had been 50 years since they formed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3081 on: August 31, 2023, 09:13:30 PM »
Agree on some. For the record though, Rush ended on their 40th anniversary. 41 actually lol. I could see DT making it to 40. 

If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not a Rush fan, so I could very well be), it was the 40th anniversary of their self-titled album.  But at the end of the tour, it had been 50 years since they formed.
Actually no. They formed towards the end of 1968, so it would've been almost 47 years since they formed.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3082 on: August 31, 2023, 09:17:40 PM »
Oh, OK.  So Trav and I were both wrong.  But I was closer.  :D
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3083 on: August 31, 2023, 09:27:17 PM »

Actually no. They formed towards the end of 1968, so it would've been almost 47 years since they formed.

And played their final show at the end of 2014. So that’s pretty much 46 on the dot. But if you’re using the mathematical rule of “rounding off” then Bosk is still correct in his assertion. (Though, I personally think that’s a big stretch)  ;)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3084 on: August 31, 2023, 09:36:28 PM »
Yeah, but I just looked it up, and they didn't announce that they were done until 2018.  So I'm going with 50 and you can't tell me otherwise.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3085 on: August 31, 2023, 09:40:04 PM »
And played their final show at the end of 2014. So that’s pretty much 46 on the dot. But if you’re using the mathematical rule of “rounding off” then Bosk is still correct in his assertion. (Though, I personally think that’s a big stretch)  ;)
Wat. Umm no. I was *at* their final show, and I remember the date perfectly: August 1, 2015

Yeah, but I just looked it up, and they didn't announce that they were done until 2018.  So I'm going with 50 and you can't tell me otherwise.
Well given that Neil said that tour was it and nothing more was happening, I'd say 2015 was it, regardless of when it was announced. So neener neener neener!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3086 on: August 31, 2023, 09:47:08 PM »
Wat. Umm no. I was *at* their final show, and I remember the date perfectly: August 1, 2015

Well given that Neil said that tour was it and nothing more was happening, I'd say 2015 was it, regardless of when it was announced. So neener neener neener!   :biggrin:

Read Wiki wrong.  I concede.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3087 on: August 31, 2023, 10:03:16 PM »
like a dad who stepped out for a pack of smokes who a decade later you see having fun with his new families i still hold onto faith that one day portnoy will return no matter how fruitless and poisonous it might be to hold onto that idea 13 years later... i am still in denial, i miss him so much
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3088 on: August 31, 2023, 10:30:13 PM »
Does the marriage analogy apply here? Is this like being married to someone for decades, getting divorced, getting remarried, and then before dying getting back together with your ex for one last fling?

I appreciate everyone has their own feelings on the matter, it's why we are all here. But I find it fascinating it makes sense to people they reunite with MP before riding off in to the sunset. If that's what they decide to do, and they continue to release music I enjoy, I am on board the train as I have been since 1992. But getting back with MP out of some sense of history or legacy just doesn't make sense to me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3089 on: August 31, 2023, 10:55:23 PM »
Does the marriage analogy apply here? Is this like being married to someone for decades, getting divorced, getting remarried, and then before dying getting back together with your ex for one last fling?

I appreciate everyone has their own feelings on the matter, it's why we are all here. But I find it fascinating it makes sense to people they reunite with MP before riding off in to the sunset. If that's what they decide to do, and they continue to release music I enjoy, I am on board the train as I have been since 1992. But getting back with MP out of some sense of history or legacy just doesn't make sense to me.

Because as much as people liken bands to marriages, they are really more like friendships. And long-term friendships can heal with time more easily than bitter marriage break ups do.

And to stack on top of that analogy, there’s something far more satisfying about friends making amends because of their shared history, than there is about ex-marriage mates making a curtain call because of the masses.

We’d like to believe that our scenario would be the former and not the latter.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3090 on: August 31, 2023, 11:29:18 PM »
I get all that, though I am discovering I am less invested than many are here on what their relationships are with each other. I just don't extend that to how the band closes their career. It's late, what I am trying to say made sense to me in my head as I was reading this thread today....
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3091 on: August 31, 2023, 11:57:22 PM »
:marriageanalogy:

Oh nice, the smiley still works. :D

I get what Cool Chris is saying, I think it's just a reality of a lot of legacy bands which is what Dream Theater is starting to become. They're reaching that "third stage" of their career where a lot of the live focus is looking back.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3092 on: September 01, 2023, 03:38:48 AM »

I was just going by the fact that they called the final tour R40. Since it was their 40th anniversary. And I realize they are basing that on when their first album was released not when they formed in a basement. Which I think is the proper way to gauge the anniversaries. DT should count their’s starting from 1989 not 1985. By whatever, doesn’t matter now.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline HOF

« Reply #3093 on: September 01, 2023, 06:37:56 AM »

I was just going by the fact that they called the final tour R40. Since it was their 40th anniversary. And I realize they are basing that on when their first album was released not when they formed in a basement. Which I think is the proper way to gauge the anniversaries. DT should count their’s starting from 1989 not 1985. By whatever, doesn’t matter now.

Yeah, 1986 being the founding year does seem kind of a funny thing to say since they weren’t even called Dream Theater then, but it’s kind of whatever.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3094 on: September 01, 2023, 07:36:26 AM »

Because as much as people liken bands to marriages, they are really more like friendships. And long-term friendships can heal with time more easily than bitter marriage break ups do.

And to stack on top of that analogy, there’s something far more satisfying about friends making amends because of their shared history, than there is about ex-marriage mates making a curtain call because of the masses.

We’d like to believe that our scenario would be the former and not the latter.

No.  We have been spoiled by Rush.  They are BUSINESS RELATIONSHIPS.  Sometimes they are civil and friendly - Iron Maiden - and sometimes they are not - The Rolling Stones; Aerosmith; Yes - but they are ultimately business relationships.  I think the only way these are really like marriages is in the fact that in any long-term marriage, the parties have to give and take, and have to grow together.  I think Mike P is different now than he was in '95.  I can't prove it, I've never spoken to him about it (how??) but I sense that he's not the same guy - for better or worse, I think better - than he was in '95.  I don't think the band ever "relieves" Mangini, but I also think that a six-man conversation where Mangini says "this is the way it's got to be" and steps aside.   I don't get the sense that any of those six guys wants to be in a band that doesn't want them or can't use them to their max.  DT is not the Allman Brothers or the Dead; they are not both staying.   I think Mike Mangini is Bruce Kulick circa 1996 at the end of the day.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3095 on: September 01, 2023, 12:32:53 PM »

Yeah, 1986 being the founding year does seem kind of a funny thing to say since they weren’t even called Dream Theater then, but it’s kind of whatever.
Actually 1985 (DT's 20th anniversary tour started in 2005). It may seem strange, but some bands count their anniversary from when they were formed like DT, and others from when their first album came out like Rush, and some are in-between, like Judas Priest who formed in 1969, but had their first album come out in 1974 and yet they started their 50th anniversary tour in (I believe) 2022. In fact, I'd wager another reason why Rush chose to count only from 1974 on was not just because that's when their first album came out, but also when Neil joined the band.

Regarding DT and the name change, you'd have more of an argument if Majesty played a different style of music than Dream Theater, but as we all know it was a name change that was basically forced upon them. So I don't think that detail means anything whatsoever.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3096 on: September 01, 2023, 12:42:50 PM »

Actually 1985 (DT's 20th anniversary tour started in 2005). It may seem strange, but some bands count their anniversary from when they were formed like DT, and others from when their first album came out like Rush, and some are in-between, like Judas Priest who formed in 1969, but had their first album come out in 1974 and yet they started their 50th anniversary tour in (I believe) 2022. In fact, I'd wager another reason why Rush chose to count only from 1974 on was not just because that's when their first album came out, but also when Neil joined the band.

Regarding DT and the name change, you'd have more of an argument if Majesty played a different style of music than Dream Theater, but as we all know it was a name change that was basically forced upon them. So I don't think that detail means anything whatsoever.

Were they still Majesty when Dominici was in the band, or had they already changed by then? I kind of feel like that's the first real lineup, but I agree there's no bright line and I guess if you want to go by whenever they intended to start a band together or performed together you can. It would be kind of weird to say they weren't a band before WDADU since they did play together for a long time regardless of the name or exact personnel. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3097 on: September 01, 2023, 12:51:25 PM »
Well, we can quibble over dates for all of these situations, but I don't really see the point.  The broader issue we were discussing is simply whether DT will make it to 50 years of existing or fold up after one more album and tour cycle.  And my position on that is that there are many bands out there that have made it to around the 50-year mark, so it's not like DT doing so would be somehow unprecedented.

And Priest was thrown in as another one that has made it to 50 and beyond.  Heck, Scorpions are coming up on 60, and Sabbath isn't far behind.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 12:56:29 PM by bosk1 »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3098 on: September 01, 2023, 01:10:28 PM »
Well, we can quibble over dates for all of these situations, but I don't really see the point.  The broader issue we were discussing is simply whether DT will make it to 50 years of existing or fold up after one more album and tour cycle.  And my position on that is that there are many bands out there that have made it to around the 50-year mark, so it's not like DT doing so would be somehow unprecedented.

And Priest was thrown in as another one that has made it to 50 and beyond.  Heck, Scorpions are coming up on 60, and Sabbath isn't far behind.

Definitely valid for most of that, but Priest is a bit tough since both guitarists are relatively new and young.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3099 on: September 01, 2023, 01:13:34 PM »
Agreed. The one difference I would say between DT and many of these bands is that what DT is playing is significantly more challenging. The only exception would be Yes, but from what I've read, it sounds like they've slowed down their performances noticeably.

Not to split hairs, but I don't think Sabbath really counts. Ozzy's basically toast; Bill Ward definitely is and it doesn't sound like Tony's willing to do any real touring any more because of his health concerns. So outside of perhaps a one-off gig here or there (and even that's debatable given Ozzy's condition), I think Sabbath's days are done.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3100 on: September 01, 2023, 01:25:04 PM »
Were they still Majesty when Dominici was in the band, or had they already changed by then? I kind of feel like that's the first real lineup, but I agree there's no bright line and I guess if you want to go by whenever they intended to start a band together or performed together you can. It would be kind of weird to say they weren't a band before WDADU since they did play together for a long time regardless of the name or exact personnel.
Yes they were still Majesty when Charlie was in the band. In fact WDaDU was recorded while they were still Majesty. It was only when they were in the stages of planning to release it that they discovered that they would need to change their name. In fact, they performed a few shows as Majesty in 1988 with Charlie before the name change. Here's the show where they announced the name change to....Glasser!
https://mptour.mikeportnoy.com/dates/MPTourography/ShowInfo.aspx?showId=20

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3101 on: September 01, 2023, 01:26:57 PM »
I loved reading about that period in the Lifting Shadows book. Plus the David Prater stuff... what a character!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3102 on: September 01, 2023, 02:07:04 PM »
DT have always counted anniversaries from the moment they started, that is 1985. The 20th anniversary tour was in 2005 and their short 30th anniv. tour was in 2015. Whether they make it to 50 (2035) is a completely different story.

Right now, it's all about what are they going to do for their 40th, which I'd love to see celebrated properly and not like they did for the 30th.

If they release a new album in early 2024, they could type that whole year for it and then head into 2025 with a tour fully focused on the celebration, not an album promotion cycle.

As for MP being part of it or not, I'd welcome a one off "big" show with him, but more than that would be a huge warning sign for MM, IMO. However, I have to say the WDADR version of Metropolis with Charlie and Derek is my all time favorite live version of the song and would love to see something similar happen with the current lineup + MP and Derek. 
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline HOF

« Reply #3103 on: September 01, 2023, 02:39:48 PM »
I've always wondered what it would be like if bands were run like some other family businesses where the kids take them over and run them in (theoretically) in perpetuity.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3104 on: September 01, 2023, 02:43:06 PM »
DT have always counted anniversaries from the moment they started, that is 1985. The 20th anniversary tour was in 2005 and their short 30th anniv. tour was in 2015. Whether they make it to 50 (2035) is a completely different story.

Right now, it's all about what are they going to do for their 40th, which I'd love to see celebrated properly and not like they did for the 30th.

If they release a new album in early 2024, they could type that whole year for it and then head into 2025 with a tour fully focused on the celebration, not an album promotion cycle.

As for MP being part of it or not, I'd welcome a one off "big" show with him, but more than that would be a huge warning sign for MM, IMO. However, I have to say the WDADR version of Metropolis with Charlie and Derek is my all time favorite live version of the song and would love to see something similar happen with the current lineup + MP and Derek.

Instead of "Metropolis Pt. 1" with all members past and present, I'd love to see them tackle "A Change Of Seasons" with all members. The overdubbed drum parts could finally be played live with two drummers, and the vocal layers could be handled with James, Charlie, Mike P. and John P. Besides, I think we have enough "special" performances of "Metropolis Pt. 1" on live albums and not enough performances of ACOS.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3105 on: September 01, 2023, 03:40:06 PM »
Yes they were still Majesty when Charlie was in the band. In fact WDaDU was recorded while they were still Majesty. It was only when they were in the stages of planning to release it that they discovered that they would need to change their name. In fact, they performed a few shows as Majesty in 1988 with Charlie before the name change. Here's the show where they announced the name change to....Glasser!

Obviously why I chose the username. MP told me they were considering Glasser and Gray Matter as the bands name.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3106 on: September 01, 2023, 03:44:17 PM »

Obviously why I chose the username. MP told me they were considering Glasser and Gray Matter as the bands name.

The funny thing is I was just reading the Lifting Shadows book a couple months ago and got to the Glasser part and thought "that must be where his user name comes from." Just couldn't remember the timeline of when all that happened.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3107 on: September 01, 2023, 03:45:02 PM »

Instead of "Metropolis Pt. 1" with all members past and present, I'd love to see them tackle "A Change Of Seasons" with all members. The overdubbed drum parts could finally be played live with two drummers, and the vocal layers could be handled with James, Charlie, Mike P. and John P. Besides, I think we have enough "special" performances of "Metropolis Pt. 1" on live albums and not enough performances of ACOS.

-Marc.

For sure! That'd be a great one to do :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3108 on: September 01, 2023, 03:45:38 PM »

It's certainly a better forum name than a band name. :biggrin:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3109 on: September 01, 2023, 04:22:13 PM »
So, you chose to name yourself after DT's former lawyer?    :facepalm:

You shoulda gone with Howard Portnoy's favorite name submission instead: Asparagus Piss
 :biggrin:

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3110 on: September 02, 2023, 07:45:28 AM »

It's certainly a better forum name than a band name. :biggrin:

I agree. I always thought Dream Theater was a great band name honestly, especially for a prog band.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3111 on: September 02, 2023, 11:47:27 AM »
So, you chose to name yourself after DT's former lawyer?    :facepalm:

You shoulda gone with Howard Portnoy's favorite name submission instead: Asparagus Piss
 :biggrin:
Even worse, why would the band consider naming themselves after a lawyer who lost the case?  :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3112 on: September 02, 2023, 01:04:27 PM »
and some are in-between, like Judas Priest who formed in 1969, but had their first album come out in 1974 and yet they started their 50th anniversary tour in (I believe) 2022.

Priest actually announced their 50th anniversary for 2019.  The 2020 dates were delayed because of the pandemic, which pushed the tour further on into 2022.  So they started counting the years as of their actual formation as a band.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3113 on: September 17, 2023, 01:29:41 PM »
I think a lot of what people miss with DT is just the sort of vibe they had when they were younger, it was them against the world/industry, and they were just kind of willing to do all kinds of crazy things that guys in their 20s and 30s are probably more willing to do than guys in their 40s and 50s. I suspect the band would have become more predictable and pre-formatted (for lack of a better term) whether or not MP stayed. Maybe there would be somewhat more spontaneity with MP still in the band, but I’d guess age would have slowed him down some in that regard as well.

It's an interesting thought, would DT have ended up in a similar position they are in today even if MP never left?  It's entirely possible just due to age like you said, but since MP is still active in all his other bands maybe not.

He does tour a lot still, but it seems like he doesn’t put as much energy into any one project as he put into DT back in the day. I think one of the reasons for the split was how burned out he had gotten on the album/tour cycle and everything that he put into that. It just feels like if he had stayed he would have had to have backed off some of his micro-management and all of the extra stuff he did for the band and they might still have settled down into the more regimented band they are on tour at least.

It's a lot easier to do at 30 than at 55. The industry has changed so much now that you have to work harder just to try an maintain the same level.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3114 on: September 17, 2023, 01:43:05 PM »
I think the answer is likely somewhere in between.  Yeah, 50th is a long time.  But there are bands around today that have done it.  Metallica are only 8 years from that (less, actually).  Def Leppard are 4 years away.  U2 are 3 years.  Maiden are 2.  Rush made it to 50.  Bands like Aerosmith, Y&T, and the Stones are past 50.  Again, not sure DT will hang around that long, but they could.  There is certainly precedent.  3 bands that are major influences on DT are on that list above.  Whether or not they make it to 50 years, I think it will be closer to 50 than to just "one more album and tour cycle."  They are not showing ANY signs of wanting to wind it up after the next album and tour (which will take them past 40 years), despite that people have been saying "just one more album and tour cycle" since Octavarium.  That day will come, but I don't think we are close to it yet.

None of those bands play the demanding music that Dream Theater does. They may last longer if their "Evening With's" are done (except for maybe an especially special gig.) Definitely close to the end but who knows how close. 5 years? 7? 10?