Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 312941 times)

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2835 on: April 08, 2022, 07:48:24 AM »
At the very least they keep dropping the price. I forget what the tickets started at, dropped to $120 a little while ago, and just today down to $105.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2836 on: April 15, 2022, 08:23:26 AM »
So, if this is presumptuous, I apologize, but I've had to bail on TA in Jersey and I'm shut out of Morsefest because of a family vacation.

If anyone has the chance to ask Mike anything, at Morsefest or otherwise, I have a question that is sort of lingering with me.  You can blame/attribute the question to me if you want; there was a time that Mike knew who "Stadler" was and I've met him once and he acknowledged me, though I have no illustions he'd remember me.  The question:

I'm six months younger than Mike, so essentially the same age.  The lyrics from "Innocence and Danger" have REALLY resonated with me on a deep level. There's a lot there that I am going through at this stage of my life; contemplations, re-evaluations, that sort of thing, and a sort of understanding of my place in the world.    I want to know two things:  have those lyrics resonated in any special way with Mike, given all he's experienced and gone through in his life, and did any of those sentiments influence his recent peace-making with Dream Theater as a unit (his peace with John was before I&D)?

(I'm going to post this in the Neal thread as well)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2837 on: April 15, 2022, 09:02:09 AM »
So, if this is presumptuous, I apologize, but I've had to bail on TA in Jersey and I'm shut out of Morsefest because of a family vacation.

If anyone has the chance to ask Mike anything, at Morsefest or otherwise, I have a question that is sort of lingering with me.  You can blame/attribute the question to me if you want; there was a time that Mike knew who "Stadler" was and I've met him once and he acknowledged me, though I have no illustions he'd remember me.  The question:

I'm six months younger than Mike, so essentially the same age.  The lyrics from "Innocence and Danger" have REALLY resonated with me on a deep level. There's a lot there that I am going through at this stage of my life; contemplations, re-evaluations, that sort of thing, and a sort of understanding of my place in the world.    I want to know two things:  have those lyrics resonated in any special way with Mike, given all he's experienced and gone through in his life, and did any of those sentiments influence his recent peace-making with Dream Theater as a unit (his peace with John was before I&D)?

(I'm going to post this in the Neal thread as well)

That is an amazing question, Sir. I hope he answers that.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #2838 on: April 20, 2022, 05:42:29 AM »
Happy Birthday MP! Thanks for all you have given me!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2839 on: May 22, 2022, 06:48:57 PM »
Here's the interview that I saw with DS where he mentions the Anna Lee thing:

https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2012/11/21/derek-sherinian-metalled-out-a-little-bit/

Speaking of Been Here Before, that one pretty much revisits Anna Lee…

Very much so! I thought the music was beautiful and I was never satisfied with the way it turned out on that record. I thought it was too beautiful of a song and I wanted to keep it pure and make it instrumental.

Not a ton to go off. Maybe there are other interviews where he's talked about it.

I might have enjoyed Anna Lee as an instrumental.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2840 on: August 16, 2022, 06:09:10 AM »
I'm hoping that with a rekindled friendship with JP, and thus, working together plus touring soon, that these two will realize the unique chemistry they create together. Maybe an incorrect guess on my part but I have a feeling these two will put together a new side project band with a vocalist and create new music again. They are both on the back nine of their careers and it would seem fitting to create something together before sailing off into retirement.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2841 on: August 16, 2022, 06:21:06 AM »
A new side project would be cool but I think it would entirely depend on DT's schedule. That seems to take priority over anything else.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2842 on: August 16, 2022, 06:38:27 AM »
I agree.

My thinking is that JR is 65 now...the age where he qualifies for Medicare. By the time their next album and tour cycle is over, he will likely be 68. Could he continue onward? Yep. But will he want to? Only time will tell. And if he calls it a day, will DT hire a new keyboardist? Maybe and maybe not.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2843 on: August 16, 2022, 06:47:35 AM »
Jordan seems healthy and as happy and passionate as ever about his craft. I don't see age being a problem for him, until he stays healthy. He clearly loves what he's doing, so if next year he comes out saying he retires because of the big toll life on the road takes, I would be very, very, VERY surprised.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2844 on: August 16, 2022, 06:52:38 AM »
Seeing how long it took JP to finish his solo record, I doubt that he's in for another side project.

And for me, another band with MP, JP and a singer would only make sense if they stay as far away from prog rock/metal as they can.  For everything else we have DT old and new.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2845 on: August 16, 2022, 07:09:16 AM »
Yeah, I mean I wouldn't rule out them getting together and doing something with a singer, but if they do I think it will be far from DT stylistically.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2846 on: August 16, 2022, 07:14:43 AM »
Here's the interview that I saw with DS where he mentions the Anna Lee thing:

https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2012/11/21/derek-sherinian-metalled-out-a-little-bit/

Speaking of Been Here Before, that one pretty much revisits Anna Lee…

Very much so! I thought the music was beautiful and I was never satisfied with the way it turned out on that record. I thought it was too beautiful of a song and I wanted to keep it pure and make it instrumental.

Not a ton to go off. Maybe there are other interviews where he's talked about it.

I might have enjoyed Anna Lee as an instrumental.

I might have enjoyed Anna Lee if it never existed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2847 on: August 16, 2022, 07:14:57 AM »
If so, would they go full on metal or prog? No prog metal then, it would be too close to DT. Can't see them doing the acoustic thing that JLB have just done.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2848 on: August 16, 2022, 08:45:13 AM »
I think a DT reunion is much more likely to happen than a new side project from them, and that is highly unlikely unless MM steps down anyway. Let's not forget that LTE signed a two album contract and they still have to make that 2nd one. I also imagine they would like to tour at some point, when their schedules allow them to.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline HOF

« Reply #2849 on: August 16, 2022, 09:03:38 AM »
I think a DT reunion is much more likely to happen than a new side project from them, and that is highly unlikely unless MM steps down anyway. Let's not forget that LTE signed a two album contract and they still have to make that 2nd one. I also imagine they would like to tour at some point, when their schedules allow them to.

Yeah, I think LTE makes more sense as a collaborative project for MP and JP than a new band. Though Tony is getting up there in age, so maybe not too much longer.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2850 on: August 16, 2022, 09:54:35 AM »

Yeah, I think LTE makes more sense as a collaborative project for MP and JP than a new band. Though Tony is getting up there in age, so maybe not too much longer.

They could always get JM if Tony retires ;)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline HOF

« Reply #2851 on: August 16, 2022, 10:38:09 AM »

Now you’re talking!

Offline Kram

« Reply #2852 on: August 16, 2022, 11:26:56 AM »

Now you’re talking!
I agree with both of you, we'll see more LTE.

As for JR.  I would say he's a young 65 and I too don't see him retiring any time soon.  I mean, he has a few months off from DT touring, and what does he do?  He goes on a solo tour across the US.  I'd say he's got a good 10 years left in him at this level.  That's my gut instinct.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #2853 on: August 17, 2022, 08:14:01 PM »
In the latest Inner Circle release, there's a video of the Neal Morse Band (minus Randy) doing Back in the USSR with Neal on drums and Mike on bass, with both of them sharing vocals. It's pretty cool.

Mike jokingly says that it's because Neal had to play the drums because Paul McCartney plays drums on this track, which I never knew! :o

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2854 on: August 17, 2022, 08:20:40 PM »
In the latest Inner Circle release, there's a video of the Neal Morse Band (minus Randy) doing Back in the USSR with Neal on drums and Mike on bass, with both of them sharing vocals. It's pretty cool.

Mike jokingly says that it's because Neal had to play the drums because Paul McCartney plays drums on this track, which I never knew! :o

Yep, Paul played drums on a couple of tracks on The Beatles when Ringo "quit" the band for a hot minute during those sessions.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2855 on: August 18, 2022, 10:27:49 AM »

Yep, Paul played drums on a couple of tracks on The Beatles when Ringo "quit" the band for a hot minute during those sessions.

-Marc.

Sorry to be "that guy", haha, but he did it on other occasions as well.  John came in the studio all gung-ho to record "The Ballad Of John And Yoko", and George was on holiday and Ringo was filming a movie.  Famously, in one of the latter day examples of John and Paul working together despite the business disagreements between them, the two of them set down and recorded that number almost entirely between the two of them, including Paul on drums.

I don't usually let the outside stuff influence what I like and don't like but that story has really increased my appreciation for that song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2856 on: August 18, 2022, 12:38:12 PM »

Now you’re talking!
I agree with both of you, we'll see more LTE.

As for JR.  I would say he's a young 65 and I too don't see him retiring any time soon.  I mean, he has a few months off from DT touring, and what does he do?  He goes on a solo tour across the US.  I'd say he's got a good 10 years left in him at this level.  That's my gut instinct.

I agree with what you are saying about Jordan.  He certainly could realistically be looking to retire or scale back sometime soon.  But I wouldn't bet on it simply because of his age.  People were saying similar things 10 years ago.  "He's 55!  He probably won't be doing this too much longer."  But he's still going.  And others who are older are still going as well. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2857 on: August 19, 2022, 08:38:36 AM »
I would be shocked if JP and MP did a side project with a vocalist.

Of course, I've been shocked before lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2858 on: August 19, 2022, 10:37:49 AM »
I wouldn't.  I would be shocked if it was JP putting it together.  But I could absolutely see MP putting a project together, and JP saying, "yeah, OK, I'll play guitar on that."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2859 on: August 19, 2022, 11:14:15 AM »
I wouldn't.  I would be shocked if it was JP putting it together.  But I could absolutely see MP putting a project together, and JP saying, "yeah, OK, I'll play guitar on that."

Agreed. It was pretty obvious to me that MP always wanted to bring on another vocalist for DT. And now that MP himself is out of DT, nothing is really to stop he and JP from working with a different singer they admire. Especially if said band is mostly a studio project due to JP's touring commitments with DT and MP's usual hectic schedule.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Kram

« Reply #2860 on: August 19, 2022, 12:03:53 PM »

Agreed. It was pretty obvious to me that MP always wanted to bring on another vocalist for DT. And now that MP himself is out of DT, nothing is really to stop he and JP from working with a different singer they admire. Especially if said band is mostly a studio project due to JP's touring commitments with DT and MP's usual hectic schedule.
And if stylistically it's far far from DT.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2861 on: August 19, 2022, 12:07:54 PM »
They would be fantastic if they went straight-up rock. 4 minute songs. Ass-kicking riffs and a new youthful vocalist with a unique, distinctive voice...yet undiscovered. Something along the lines of VH.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2862 on: August 19, 2022, 12:19:33 PM »
I am sure in this very hypothetical discussion, JP would want some distance between what DT does and what this again, very hypothetical band with MP would be. But not as much as you think. I am sure it would have prog elements in it. That's who they are. But something a bit more straightforward? Absolutely.

Imagine a record with 10 five-minute bangers, a 10-minute opus, and then a slower, six or seven minute track. Maybe a band with a singer like Matt Barlow, and a second guitarist instead of keyboardist. It would be a LOT of fun, and I have to think, DT fans from back in the day would be overjoyed to have MP and JP back in a real band with a singer that would do some touring (just not as much as DT does).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline HOF

« Reply #2863 on: August 19, 2022, 12:23:20 PM »

And if stylistically it's far far from DT.

They would be fantastic if they went straight-up rock. 4 minute songs. Ass-kicking riffs and a new youthful vocalist with a unique, distinctive voice...yet undiscovered. Something along the lines of VH.

You know, JP really hasn't done much as a recording artist outside of the prog-metal sphere. I think the JP and JR concert is the most non-metal CD he's ever been involved in. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #2864 on: August 19, 2022, 12:25:32 PM »
Heh, you know JP, MP, and Kip Winger would be an awesome power trio.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2865 on: August 19, 2022, 03:26:19 PM »

Well, at least with Kip they'd have a great songwriter among the three of them.  :o

Offline HOF

« Reply #2866 on: August 19, 2022, 03:32:34 PM »

Well, at least with Kip they'd have a great songwriter among the three of them.  :o

:metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2867 on: August 19, 2022, 06:31:56 PM »

My math was off.  I was at only seventeen.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2868 on: August 20, 2022, 04:06:49 PM »

My math was off.  I was at only seventeen.

Don’t get your hopes up, or you’ll be headed for a heartbreak.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline HOF

« Reply #2869 on: August 30, 2022, 09:27:10 PM »
I wonder how Carvana managed to get Mike Portnoy to appear in this commercial?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pLUrfaCa3ck