Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 312764 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2765 on: March 31, 2022, 09:44:21 AM »
I happen to think the second The Winery Dogs album (Hot Streak) has some of Mike’s best drumming since he left DT. The first one is really good too of course.

I understand why people might not be fans of The Winery Dogs. If you're a prog fan, I can definitely see you finding their sound too direct or simplistic, for lack of better words. I love their sound, and it's a shame that Richie has what I think i fear of commitment when it comes to working as a band. The second tour was going great, and then he decided it was time to focus on his solo album, just when we thought we would get a third one straight away.

Hopefully we get the third one by early next year at least. Sounds like they are finishing it now.

What I love about TWD is they are not explicitly prog, but they still bring all the instrumental chops of a prog band to more of a straight ahead rock format. Kind of the best of both worlds. You avoid the kind of over the top nature of something like Sons of Apollo, while getting something more based on hooks and melodies. Honestly it’s more of the Rush vein of proggish hard rock (not that they sound like Rush). Or I guess kind of the bluesy hard rock companion to Flying Colors. They’re just a fun band playing fun music.

But here's the thing:  I SHOULD love The Winery Dogs.  I'm not married to prog, I'm not a guy that really cares about "genre" per se.  I love Deep Purple, I love Black Country Communion, I love Chris Cornell... all touchstones of TWD, and yet... it doesn't grab me.  I couldn't sing you ONE TWD song right now off the top of my head.  I dig that others love them, and I enjoyed the one show I saw with them (the tour for the second album), but I'm not salivating over the third release.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2766 on: March 31, 2022, 09:52:11 AM »
I happen to think the second The Winery Dogs album (Hot Streak) has some of Mike’s best drumming since he left DT. The first one is really good too of course.

I understand why people might not be fans of The Winery Dogs. If you're a prog fan, I can definitely see you finding their sound too direct or simplistic, for lack of better words. I love their sound, and it's a shame that Richie has what I think i fear of commitment when it comes to working as a band. The second tour was going great, and then he decided it was time to focus on his solo album, just when we thought we would get a third one straight away.

Hopefully we get the third one by early next year at least. Sounds like they are finishing it now.

What I love about TWD is they are not explicitly prog, but they still bring all the instrumental chops of a prog band to more of a straight ahead rock format. Kind of the best of both worlds. You avoid the kind of over the top nature of something like Sons of Apollo, while getting something more based on hooks and melodies. Honestly it’s more of the Rush vein of proggish hard rock (not that they sound like Rush). Or I guess kind of the bluesy hard rock companion to Flying Colors. They’re just a fun band playing fun music.

But here's the thing:  I SHOULD love The Winery Dogs.  I'm not married to prog, I'm not a guy that really cares about "genre" per se.  I love Deep Purple, I love Black Country Communion, I love Chris Cornell... all touchstones of TWD, and yet... it doesn't grab me.  I couldn't sing you ONE TWD song right now off the top of my head.  I dig that others love them, and I enjoyed the one show I saw with them (the tour for the second album), but I'm not salivating over the third release.
They're a perfect example of a live band for me. I only care about new albums insofar as they provide good music for them to play live. It's very rare that I'd put one of the albums on, though they're certainly not bad. I'll always catch them when they're in town, though, and they've always been great.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline HOF

« Reply #2767 on: March 31, 2022, 09:53:12 AM »
That is kind of odd to me, Stadler. They do seem like they should be up your alley, and songs like Elevate, Desire, I’m No Angel, and Regret are very hooky in my opinion. The second album does feel less hooky to me, but I think it is more interesting musically, and there are some really great songs especially on the second half. Ghost Town, The Bridge, Spiral, and The Lamb are big stand outs to me.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2768 on: March 31, 2022, 10:06:58 AM »
That is kind of odd to me, Stadler. They do seem like they should be up your alley, and songs like Elevate, Desire, I’m No Angel, and Regret are very hooky in my opinion. The second album does feel less hooky to me, but I think it is more interesting musically, and there are some really great songs especially on the second half. Ghost Town, The Bridge, Spiral, and The Lamb are big stand outs to me.

It's odd to me!   I have more "Mike Portnoy" in my collection than just about any artist, and I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  But I go by gut on my listening. I don't put a lot of thought into what I like or don't like until afterwards, and for whatever reason, those two TWD records just don't tickle the bone.  I can't really explain it.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2769 on: March 31, 2022, 10:14:32 AM »

It's odd to me!   I have more "Mike Portnoy" in my collection than just about any artist, and I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  But I go by gut on my listening. I don't put a lot of thought into what I like or don't like until afterwards, and for whatever reason, those two TWD records just don't tickle the bone.  I can't really explain it.

I feel the same way about the Neal Morse Band albums—I have tried, tried, and tried again over the years, because all of the ingredients are there, but it just never clicks.  :facepalm:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2770 on: March 31, 2022, 10:22:08 AM »
I really liked the first TWD album back when it got released, but lost interest in it quite fast. To this day, I don't think I've ever listened to ther 2nd in full, and I haven't listened to either of those in so many years I lost count. I'd rather take another SOA album than a new TWD, even though I'm not a fan of Soto's vocals.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2771 on: March 31, 2022, 11:01:52 AM »
I still contend, my favorite drum performance of his is on

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2772 on: March 31, 2022, 11:09:01 AM »
I still contend, my favorite drum performance of his is on

I tried listening to it one (please notice the emphasis on tried), but I just couldn't make it through the first song. Arch's vocals are tough, man :eek

edit: fixed a typo.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 12:19:43 PM by gzarruk »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline HOF

« Reply #2773 on: March 31, 2022, 11:10:24 AM »
Yeah, John Arch is probably the greatest terrible singer of all time or something. He has an astoundingly awful voice but he somehow gets the job done!

Offline Kram

« Reply #2774 on: March 31, 2022, 11:17:20 AM »

I'm the same way Stadler.  TWD is definitely a band that in theory I should like.  And every time I hear one of their songs, I think "that sounds pretty good".  For some reason though, I have zero desire to seek any of their other stuff out.  It's just missing something for me - but I can't really put my finger on it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2775 on: March 31, 2022, 11:20:16 AM »
Yeah, John Arch is probably the greatest terrible singer of all time or something. He has an astoundingly awful voice but he somehow gets the job done!

Haha, what a distinction.  :)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2776 on: March 31, 2022, 11:40:35 AM »

His approach to writing verses is "hey, let's see how many syllables we can fit in this bit right here!!!!"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2777 on: March 31, 2022, 11:41:26 AM »
My issue with Arch is not so much his voice but his vocal melodies. It's like he's tracking a completely different song.

As for OSI, I don't really count the MP albums as great examples. Kevin mucked with his performance on both albums. I noticed he did not really do that at all on the Gavin records.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2778 on: March 31, 2022, 11:44:56 AM »
Took me a while to get into Arch's vocals but Sympathetic Resonance and Winter Ethereal are phenomenal. The phrasing is a lot better on this albums than what he did with Fates Warning. I do wish both AM albums would have an instrumental version because the music is probably Jim's best work.

The John Arch EP does have Mike's best performance, specially the 1st track.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2779 on: March 31, 2022, 11:45:53 AM »
My issue with Arch is not so much his voice but his vocal melodies. It's like he's tracking a completely different song.

That could be it, but it at least gives the impression that he can’t sing on pitch.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2780 on: March 31, 2022, 11:50:09 AM »
Mike makes a surprise appearance on Sea Tranquility to discuss Pete's obvious pick for #1 album of 1992. It's a solid 26-minute chat. Towards the end, we finally have some insight into how Mike felt seeing DT for the first time. Quite heartwarming.

https://youtu.be/OFTgT08cVFM
I just watched this, pretty interesting.  MP made a point to say he's on good terms with ALL the guys in the band now.  Good to hear.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2781 on: March 31, 2022, 11:59:11 AM »
Count me among the others for whom TWD does not connect. I was really looking forward to the collaboration with John Sykes as I love his playing style, but it wasn't meant to be.

I've never heard the Arch album with MP. I'll seek it out and listen.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2782 on: March 31, 2022, 12:03:22 PM »
Count me among the others for whom TWD does not connect.

I loved the 1st Winery Dogs album. The 2nd felt more like a Kotzen solo album than a collaboration. The magic with the Winery Dogs happens live. As a live band, they kick some serious ass.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2783 on: March 31, 2022, 12:04:17 PM »
Mike makes a surprise appearance on Sea Tranquility to discuss Pete's obvious pick for #1 album of 1992. It's a solid 26-minute chat. Towards the end, we finally have some insight into how Mike felt seeing DT for the first time. Quite heartwarming.

That was a fun watch.  :tup

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2784 on: March 31, 2022, 12:05:46 PM »

For Dream Team, I can recommend Neal Morse - One and Flying Colors - Second Nature.

This is an awesome video, thanks for sharing!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2785 on: March 31, 2022, 01:45:51 PM »

I loved the 1st Winery Dogs album. The 2nd felt more like a Kotzen solo album than a collaboration. The magic with the Winery Dogs happens live. As a live band, they kick some serious ass.

Agreed. Night and day difference between the first and second albums. Richie went on the record as stating he thinks the 3rd album is much more like the first. Let's hope so.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2786 on: March 31, 2022, 01:56:33 PM »

Agreed. Night and day difference between the first and second albums. Richie went on the record as stating he thinks the 3rd album is much more like the first. Let's hope so.

I really like both albums, I'm still (after all these years) not sure which one I like more.  But I do agree, their live show is top notch.  It's amazing to see what those 3 people can do.

Offline 425

« Reply #2787 on: March 31, 2022, 03:25:11 PM »

For Dream Team, I can recommend Neal Morse - One and Flying Colors - Second Nature.

This is really interesting and might be worth posting on the DT side if you haven't already. I find it interesting, especially in light of a recent conversation on here about the conflict between MP and the label for FII (and more generally about the influence of labels then and now), how much emphasis he put here on the decisions he now thinks the label made correctly for IAW
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2788 on: March 31, 2022, 03:52:04 PM »

Thank you so much for posting this. What a fantastic watch.

I remember that first tour, and opening with Metropolis was freaking incredible. The crowd was literally stunned.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2789 on: March 31, 2022, 04:05:35 PM »

I was really excited about the bonus live material that came with the anniversary edition of Awaken the Guardian...until I played them....

His approach to writing verses is "hey, let's see how many syllables we can fit in this bit right here!!!!"

Yup
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2790 on: March 31, 2022, 05:12:09 PM »

This is really interesting and might be worth posting on the DT side if you haven't already. I find it interesting, especially in light of a recent conversation on here about the conflict between MP and the label for FII (and more generally about the influence of labels then and now), how much emphasis he put here on the decisions he now thinks the label made correctly for IAW

Pete’s always a great watch, he really knows his stuff and sometimes gets really good guests.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2791 on: March 31, 2022, 05:17:42 PM »
Pete’s always a great watch, he really knows his stuff and sometimes gets really good guests.

He has an excellent channel.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2792 on: March 31, 2022, 05:38:07 PM »

That was definitely a great watch, thanks for posting it!  Very nice chat. :coolio :coolio

Offline 425

« Reply #2793 on: March 31, 2022, 06:28:00 PM »

I've never watched his material before, but I'm definitely going to watch more after that interview.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2794 on: April 01, 2022, 03:20:10 PM »

I've never watched his material before, but I'm definitely going to watch more after that interview.

Yeah he’s got album-ranking and Top 10 song ranking (often with guests), etc, on pretty much every known metal and hard rock band ever among a bunch of other good stuff.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2795 on: April 01, 2022, 03:22:57 PM »
I wonder what studio albums Mike will be part of this year. Aside from a potential Winery Dogs, which will likely come out in 2023 inly, I haven't heard of anything else.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2796 on: April 01, 2022, 03:47:49 PM »
I wonder what studio albums Mike will be part of this year. Aside from a potential Winery Dogs, which will likely come out in 2023 inly, I haven't heard of anything else.
He said in that video that he has a few things in the works that he can't talk about yet.  I wonder if he's a part of that new project that Eric Gillette is working on purportedly with Diego?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2797 on: April 01, 2022, 05:34:17 PM »
He said in that video that he has a few things in the works that he can't talk about yet.  I wonder if he's a part of that new project that Eric Gillette is working on purportedly with Diego?

Don't think so, Simen Sandnes tracked drums for it, as far as I know.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2798 on: April 02, 2022, 10:31:32 AM »
Well, MP just tested positive for Covid. Hoping he gets cleared before the tour.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2799 on: April 02, 2022, 10:38:37 AM »
Well, MP just tested positive for Covid. Hoping he gets cleared before the tour.

You mean the Transatlantic tour that starts in two weeks? Yikes...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!