Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 310100 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2730 on: March 08, 2022, 09:52:59 AM »
Also, SOA are doing a small tour leg in South America later this year. They might want to start writing a new album after that.

I'm surprised SOA is even a thing since no one seems to talk about it anymore

They're doing the run of South American shows that were postponed since covid hit, and after that, there are no plans. At least not yet. I get a sense that nobody in the band is that excited about the prospect of continuing, but I could be wrong.

After the first album this was the case. I dont remember where but Soto even admitted it but they decided to carry on. I think Goodbye Divinity is about the struggle to be in a band in the position they're in. He didn't break it down by who felt which way but I get the sense that Soto definitely does want to continue and was probably a huge voice in support of marching on.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2731 on: March 08, 2022, 10:43:55 AM »
I'm still hoping for Portnoy to form a more pure Power Pop band.

Perhaps with people like Roger Manning or Ty Tabor. I even commented on FB to him about it a couple of years ago and he said he might be up for it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2732 on: March 08, 2022, 11:05:46 AM »
Imagine them having basically forgot all about it, with Covid and other musical priorities, then on their agendas and apps they all get the reminder (or the tour manager contacts them, "so, this time is happening, you ready to book flights yet?") and they all go "oh shit we have to do this"  :lol

"Wait, how did that song go again???"

Seriously, though.  I know they are all top flight musicians, and professionals in every way, but this isn't a local gig, dusting off the classics in front of friends and family.  This is a logistical endeavor, and I can't imagine it will be easy to muster the same level of conviction.  Not saying they won't - see above, musos, professionals - but it can't be easy.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2733 on: March 08, 2022, 11:07:21 AM »
I'm still hoping for Portnoy to form a more pure Power Pop band.

Perhaps with people like Roger Manning or Ty Tabor. I even commented on FB to him about it a couple of years ago and he said he might be up for it.

Sort of his version of Jellyfish?  That would be great, but that's hard, because a band like that is so dependent on the frontman/lead instrumentalist.    He'd have to find his versions of Roger Manning or Andy Stuermer, and those people don't grow on trees. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2734 on: March 08, 2022, 11:41:58 AM »
I would like to.see MP do a new musical project with Geddy And Alex.  I know it's a Far Cry, but one can dream...  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2735 on: March 08, 2022, 11:51:48 AM »
I would like to.see MP do a new musical project with Geddy And Alex.  I know it's a Far Cry, but one can dream...  :coolio

I'm not even a Rush fan and think that would be really cool

Online Kram

« Reply #2736 on: March 08, 2022, 12:02:33 PM »
I'm sure that would be MP's ultimate dream.  He'd be able to retire a happy man after that.  But I don't see it happening.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2737 on: March 08, 2022, 12:54:57 PM »

I'm not even a Rush fan and think that would be really cool

Same.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2738 on: March 08, 2022, 01:31:34 PM »

Dream...temporary madness...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2739 on: March 08, 2022, 02:58:30 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2740 on: March 08, 2022, 04:29:38 PM »
Didn't MP say LTE4 would be happening sooner than later?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2741 on: March 08, 2022, 05:06:14 PM »
Yes, although by definition sooner could be 2040, because that would be less time than the space between LTE2 and LTE3. That said, I would imagine it will probably happen within the next 10 years.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2743 on: March 08, 2022, 05:16:29 PM »

Dafuq?!

Must be the new DJ Cummerbund Mashup, "I Dream (Theater) Of (Man)Genie".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2745 on: March 08, 2022, 06:03:12 PM »
Also, SOA are doing a small tour leg in South America later this year. They might want to start writing a new album after that.

I'm surprised SOA is even a thing since no one seems to talk about it anymore

They're doing the run of South American shows that were postponed since covid hit, and after that, there are no plans. At least not yet. I get a sense that nobody in the band is that excited about the prospect of continuing, but I could be wrong.

That's why I said they might try to make another album after these shows, which could ignite back that spark. But it wouldn't be a tragedy if the band just called it a day afer that tour :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2746 on: March 08, 2022, 06:04:05 PM »

I think it has to do with them being signed to Insideout for 2 albums (I read about it somewhere at the time of LTE3 release).

Edit:
"THAT SAID, LOOKING FORWARD CAN WE EXPECT THAT WE WON'T HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL, SAY, 2041 FOR LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT 4?
[Laughs] Yeah, I think you could say that. And actually, our deal with [record label] Inside Out is a two-album deal. So we are planning on doing a follow-up. I don't know when it will be, but if I had to guess I would say it won't be another 20 years until you get it."
https://www.revolvermag.com/music/liquid-tension-experiment-how-covid-insanity-led-supergroup-prog-metal-gold
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2747 on: March 09, 2022, 06:55:51 AM »
Well, Tony Levin isn't getting any younger. I'd hate to see him move to the great beyond and LTE4 becomes another Liquid Trio Experiment album or an album of leftovers ala Spontaneous Combustion.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2748 on: March 09, 2022, 07:01:54 AM »
I just saw that Tony's 75 years old. They'd better get a move on, then.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2749 on: March 09, 2022, 07:15:06 AM »

Dude has seemed the same age for so long, but yeah he’s getting up there.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2750 on: March 09, 2022, 10:36:52 AM »
Yikes! I knew he was older, but I didn't realize he was *that* old!  :omg:  Hopefully LTE4 will happen within the next few years, or else it may be a real struggle for Tony to keep up, especially live!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2751 on: March 09, 2022, 11:49:09 AM »

I mean, Jordan is 65....so, while he's not stopping playing music anytime soon.....if the tour and writing schedule remains somewhat the same for DT moving forward they've got maybe three more albums with JR until he's in his mid 70's
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2752 on: March 09, 2022, 11:58:13 AM »
Regarding Tony's age, it's impressive how well he's playing for 75. I just watched a video of King Crimson in Tokyo last December, playing "Starless", and Tony was in top form. Granted, "Starless" isn't as fast or intricate as some of the LTE stuff, but he's still got plenty of chops.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2753 on: March 09, 2022, 05:44:37 PM »
Regarding Tony's age, it's impressive how well he's playing for 75. I just watched a video of King Crimson in Tokyo last December, playing "Starless", and Tony was in top form. Granted, "Starless" isn't as fast or intricate as some of the LTE stuff, but he's still got plenty of chops.

-Marc.

For sure. The dude is a living legend.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2754 on: March 31, 2022, 06:55:21 AM »
Alright, so after a little research I've figured Portnoy's recorded about 50 albums, NOT including live releases. I've definitely heard less than half of those.

10 albums by DT
  3 by LTE
  2 the first couple Transatlantic
  2 or so by Adrenaline Mob
  1 by Metal Allegiance
  1 JP solo album

I have not heard any Winery Dogs or Flying Colors.

My question is, what are the absolute best of the ones you'd recommend that I haven't heard yet? Both for his playing and the overall quality?

THANKS

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2755 on: March 31, 2022, 07:04:58 AM »
Alright, so after a little research I've figured Portnoy's recorded about 50 albums, NOT including live releases. I've definitely heard less than half of those.

10 albums by DT
  3 by LTE
  1 by Metal Allegiance
  1 JP solo album

My question is, what are the absolute best of the ones you'd recommend that I haven't heard yet? Both for his playing and the overall quality?

THANKS

I'd say check out the first Flying Colors album, some great poppy prog, and Mike's drumming is superb.

Neal Morse's 2006 album Sola Scriptura. It's probably his heaviest album and Mike has some amazing moments on it.

And lastly, while he's not on the whole album, the Working Man Rush Tribute album features Mike on 5 songs (IIRC), and does some cool things on those songs, especially "La Villa Strangiato" and "Jacob's Ladder".

-Marc.

Offline DTA

« Reply #2756 on: March 31, 2022, 07:10:52 AM »
I always liked his playing on the first OSI album

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2757 on: March 31, 2022, 07:33:46 AM »

10 albums by DT
  3 by LTE
  1 by Metal Allegiance
  1 JP solo album

THANKS

So that list are the ones you've heard?    I would give the first two Flying Colors a listen.  The first one is my favorite; "poppy" isn't the right word - it's not Justin Beiber - but it is more concise than some of his other work.  The second has a little more free-flowing feel to it, and isn't as "immediate" but it's a solid record. 

I would also listen to some of the Neal Morse work he's done; my favorite is "Innocence and Danger", but The Grand Experiment is solid too, as is Momentum.  (I know the two double concept albums are a favorite around here - The Similitude of a Dream and The Great Adventure - and they ARE good, but I think that may be a lot right out of the gate).  My opinion only, but The Winery Dogs do little for me; solid work, and given what you've listened to, you might like it, but it's not my favorite.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2758 on: March 31, 2022, 07:48:59 AM »

10 albums by DT
  3 by LTE
  1 by Metal Allegiance
  1 JP solo album

THANKS

On the metal side, I really liked Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare. I have not yet really listened to Sons of Apollo.
On the prog side, I'd also fill-out Transatlantic, and if you still want more of that, check out Neal Morse's solo stuff.

A lot of people like OSI, but I could never get into them.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #2759 on: March 31, 2022, 08:30:33 AM »
Mike makes a surprise appearance on Sea Tranquility to discuss Pete's obvious pick for #1 album of 1992. It's a solid 26-minute chat. Towards the end, we finally have some insight into how Mike felt seeing DT for the first time. Quite heartwarming.

https://youtu.be/OFTgT08cVFM

For Dream Team, I can recommend Neal Morse - One and Flying Colors - Second Nature.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2760 on: March 31, 2022, 08:37:00 AM »
I happen to think the second The Winery Dogs album (Hot Streak) has some of Mike’s best drumming since he left DT. The first one is really good too of course.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2761 on: March 31, 2022, 08:49:35 AM »
I happen to think the second The Winery Dogs album (Hot Streak) has some of Mike’s best drumming since he left DT. The first one is really good too of course.

I understand why people might not be fans of The Winery Dogs. If you're a prog fan, I can definitely see you finding their sound too direct or simplistic, for lack of better words. I love their sound, and it's a shame that Richie has what I think i fear of commitment when it comes to working as a band. The second tour was going great, and then he decided it was time to focus on his solo album, just when we thought we would get a third one straight away.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2762 on: March 31, 2022, 08:56:03 AM »

I understand why people might not be fans of The Winery Dogs. If you're a prog fan, I can definitely see you finding their sound too direct or simplistic, for lack of better words. I love their sound, and it's a shame that Richie has what I think i fear of commitment when it comes to working as a band. The second tour was going great, and then he decided it was time to focus on his solo album, just when we thought we would get a third one straight away.

Hopefully we get the third one by early next year at least. Sounds like they are finishing it now.

What I love about TWD is they are not explicitly prog, but they still bring all the instrumental chops of a prog band to more of a straight ahead rock format. Kind of the best of both worlds. You avoid the kind of over the top nature of something like Sons of Apollo, while getting something more based on hooks and melodies. Honestly it’s more of the Rush vein of proggish hard rock (not that they sound like Rush). Or I guess kind of the bluesy hard rock companion to Flying Colors. They’re just a fun band playing fun music.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2763 on: March 31, 2022, 09:02:40 AM »
I always liked his playing on the first OSI album

I almost completely forgot about OSI, but yes, the first one is the best, IMO. It's really the only OSI album I go back to anymore, despite owning all four albums and the Re:Free EP. Don't get me wrong, they're all good albums, but the first album just has more of what I like musically speaking, and I wish the project had continued in that direction with Mike/Jim steering the ship.

Regarding TWD, I woudl comment, but I've only really listened to the first album and while it was enjoyable, it wasn't quite my cup of tea. If you like modern hard rock bands with great musicianship, it's definitely worth checking out, but if you want prog, I'd say even Flying Colors is more prog. Neal Morse/NMB and Transatlantic are where you'll find Mike's most proggy drumming moments, though if you want something a bit more progmetal/metal inspired, Sons Of Apollo is a place to start, and they only have two albums out so far.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2764 on: March 31, 2022, 09:18:27 AM »
The first OSI album is great, and it does have some awesome drumming, though a lot of the tracks were kind of altered by Kevin Moore so it’s more of a studio creation than a straight ahead drum performance on some tracks. But that is one of my favorite MP side projects and definitely a must have (didn’t care for the second one as much either though). Not sure if the CD is still in print, but one of the best MP performances on that one is on the cover of Set Controls for the Heart of the Sun from the bonus disc.