Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313882 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2660 on: January 24, 2022, 02:24:35 PM »
9. Anna Lee (PSMS)
Don't you mean Been Here Before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiZLZpqFNFU

AFAIK, they never did AL with PSMS. I remember DS even made comments about how he hated AL, so I can't imagine that would've made the setlist for PSMS.

Nope, I meant Anna Lee. They did it with Ted Leonard on vocals  :tup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxtjIWxUB_4 (same show as the infamous version of BMS with Devin Townsend :rollin)
Ha! Nice call. I don't think I ever checked out that full show after seeing Devin's performance of BMS with them. Honestly, I'm surprised that MP convinced DS to play it given the amount of disdain DS has for that song.

Has he ever given more insight on why he hates that song? He seemed to be fine about it back in the FII era, since he's also a big fan of Elton John and the song was clearly inspired by his music.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online HOF

« Reply #2661 on: January 24, 2022, 02:41:14 PM »
9. Anna Lee (PSMS)
Don't you mean Been Here Before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiZLZpqFNFU

AFAIK, they never did AL with PSMS. I remember DS even made comments about how he hated AL, so I can't imagine that would've made the setlist for PSMS.

Nope, I meant Anna Lee. They did it with Ted Leonard on vocals  :tup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxtjIWxUB_4 (same show as the infamous version of BMS with Devin Townsend :rollin)
Ha! Nice call. I don't think I ever checked out that full show after seeing Devin's performance of BMS with them. Honestly, I'm surprised that MP convinced DS to play it given the amount of disdain DS has for that song.

Has he ever given more insight on why he hates that song? He seemed to be fine about it back in the FII era, since he's also a big fan of Elton John and the song was clearly inspired by his music.

I think he means his disdain for Burning My Soul. Pretty sure DS wrote the music for Anna Lee and wouldn't despise it. :-)

Nevermind, I see the discussion was about Derek disliking Anna Lee. Just saw an interview where he mentioned he wasn't happy with the final product and that's why he redid it as ab instrumental for one of his solo albums. Not sure he disdains it though.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #2662 on: January 24, 2022, 02:50:58 PM »
Lately I've been playing Octavarium (the song) a lot. And man is the drumming in that piece extraordinary. I always wanted to learn to play drums largely because of this song. So much groove.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2663 on: January 24, 2022, 02:58:16 PM »
Lately I've been playing Octavarium (the song) a lot. And man is the drumming in that piece extraordinary. I always wanted to learn to play drums largely because of this song. So much groove.

Oh definitely. He blew me away when I became a fan. Listening to the I&W shows a couple of weeks ago reminded me of how in awe I was of him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2664 on: January 24, 2022, 03:50:32 PM »
He blew me away when I became a fan. Listening to the I&W shows a couple of weeks ago reminded me of how in awe I was of him.
I got to see him at a clinic he put on at a church near my house, sometime between Awake and ACOS.  He had a hand-written Tama logo on his bass drum head because he had just left Mapex.  I had only seen DT live once at that point.  Sitting 30 feet from him, watching him discuss and play the drums for 90 minutes, was absolutely phenomenal.  He's been my favorite drummer ever since. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2665 on: January 24, 2022, 03:58:18 PM »
I honestly couldn't tell you - I don't have a clue. Maybe due to some of the orchestration or because of the lyrics? You'd have to ask him. Either way, he still liked the melodies enough to do his own instrumental version of the song...
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2666 on: January 24, 2022, 04:07:21 PM »
He blew me away when I became a fan. Listening to the I&W shows a couple of weeks ago reminded me of how in awe I was of him.
I got to see him at a clinic he put on at a church near my house, sometime between Awake and ACOS.  He had a hand-written Tama logo on his bass drum head because he had just left Mapex.  I had only seen DT live once at that point.  Sitting 30 feet from him, watching him discuss and play the drums for 90 minutes, was absolutely phenomenal.  He's been my favorite drummer ever since.

I took this shot at Axis in Boston on 12/16/92. Unfortunately, it's the only decent shot I got, but my eyes were locked in on him the entire night.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #2667 on: January 24, 2022, 04:10:01 PM »
Here's the interview that I saw with DS where he mentions the Anna Lee thing:

https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2012/11/21/derek-sherinian-metalled-out-a-little-bit/

Speaking of Been Here Before, that one pretty much revisits Anna Lee…

Very much so! I thought the music was beautiful and I was never satisfied with the way it turned out on that record. I thought it was too beautiful of a song and I wanted to keep it pure and make it instrumental.

Not a ton to go off. Maybe there are other interviews where he's talked about it.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2668 on: January 25, 2022, 05:47:57 AM »
I took this shot at Axis in Boston on 12/16/92. Unfortunately, it's the only decent shot I got, but my eyes were locked in on him the entire night.

I'll post a few I have from the clinic a little later today.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2669 on: January 25, 2022, 08:54:54 AM »
Here's the interview that I saw with DS where he mentions the Anna Lee thing:

https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2012/11/21/derek-sherinian-metalled-out-a-little-bit/

Speaking of Been Here Before, that one pretty much revisits Anna Lee…

Very much so! I thought the music was beautiful and I was never satisfied with the way it turned out on that record. I thought it was too beautiful of a song and I wanted to keep it pure and make it instrumental.

Not a ton to go off. Maybe there are other interviews where he's talked about it.
This is the only other thing I could find:
https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2017/08/29/interview-in-english-derek-sherinian/

And of course, as an album is often not enough to fill a setlist, are you going to play covers from your other bands (of course we are all thinking about a Dream Theater song, like “Anna Lee” at least if the band doesn’t want to play that song, you could play “Been Here Before”) or from other bands (Van Halen, Deep Purple just like what you did during the Ultimate Jam)?

Mike is the set list master.  He will let us know when he figures it out. I personally would feel comfortable playing « Lines in the Sand » and « Hell’s Kitchen » as Mike and I wrote half of that music. I have no desire to play Anna Lee again.

This was after they played it with PSMS, so maybe he just doesn't care about it anymore :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online HOF

« Reply #2670 on: January 25, 2022, 09:26:36 AM »

This is the only other thing I could find:
https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2017/08/29/interview-in-english-derek-sherinian/

And of course, as an album is often not enough to fill a setlist, are you going to play covers from your other bands (of course we are all thinking about a Dream Theater song, like “Anna Lee” at least if the band doesn’t want to play that song, you could play “Been Here Before”) or from other bands (Van Halen, Deep Purple just like what you did during the Ultimate Jam)?

Mike is the set list master.  He will let us know when he figures it out. I personally would feel comfortable playing « Lines in the Sand » and « Hell’s Kitchen » as Mike and I wrote half of that music. I have no desire to play Anna Lee again.

This was after they played it with PSMS, so maybe he just doesn't care about it anymore :P

Maybe it’s kind of like how when Fripp reinvented Crimson in the 80s he didn’t want to play Schizoid Man. Like he doesn’t want to be know for just that song or something? No idea really!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2671 on: March 05, 2022, 04:18:20 PM »
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=506157400878936&id=100044540401846

After 36 years, I finally got to see my 1st Dream Theater show last night! 🤣 It was a wonderful evening and it was such a pleasure to spend time with my old friends again ☮️🙏

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2672 on: March 05, 2022, 04:26:29 PM »
Cool.  ;D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2673 on: March 05, 2022, 04:29:50 PM »
It's super cool and awesome to see him with James and "the other" Mike!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2674 on: March 05, 2022, 04:32:00 PM »
It's really nice to see MP and JLB together again.  :D

Offline Melphina

« Reply #2675 on: March 05, 2022, 04:37:03 PM »
Now THAT is unexpected. Pleasantly so. What shadowy corner did Myung sneak off to, though? Not a photo fan even with your old drummer?  :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2676 on: March 05, 2022, 04:40:52 PM »
Now THAT is unexpected. Pleasantly so. What shadowy corner did Myung sneak off to, though? Not a photo fan even with your old drummer?  :lol

PS - Of course I spent time w John Myung as well...(in fact went to the show with his family), we just didn't snap a pic

Mike added that comment later on.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2677 on: March 05, 2022, 04:46:53 PM »
 :omg: :tup :tup :tup
Super cool to see those pics!!!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Melphina

« Reply #2678 on: March 05, 2022, 04:48:36 PM »

PS - Of course I spent time w John Myung as well...(in fact went to the show with his family), we just didn't snap a pic

Mike added that comment later on.

-Marc.

Oh yay!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2679 on: March 05, 2022, 04:52:49 PM »
Cool stuff!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2680 on: March 05, 2022, 04:55:42 PM »
It only took 11+ years, but it finally happened :lol :metal

Offline emtee

« Reply #2681 on: March 05, 2022, 05:13:03 PM »
Making peace amidst a war. Those pics make me very happy. Mostly because I'm pretty old now and time is passing fast. Making amends, for all of us, is life changing.

I'm so happy to see this.

Online HOF

« Reply #2682 on: March 05, 2022, 05:16:26 PM »
Very cool to see, especially MP and James.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2683 on: March 05, 2022, 05:26:06 PM »
That’s pretty cool.  As Phil Collins once sang in Genesis “They say that time is a healer.”
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2684 on: March 05, 2022, 05:33:55 PM »
That’s pretty cool.  As Phil Collins once sang in Genesis “They say that time is a healer.”

Great Genesis song! But, yes, perfect quote.
Maybe the pic with James was obligatory and just being civil. But I would like to think that after the professional issues they had with each other, there’s no bad blood on a personal level.

Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2685 on: March 05, 2022, 05:48:02 PM »
That is indeed really cool  :tup I gotta think it must have almost felt like an "out of body" experience, finally seeing the band live...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2686 on: March 05, 2022, 06:44:14 PM »
Yea crazy to think what it's like to watch a band you were a member in for so long. It did bring a smile to my face seeing him there, the little video he posted on instagram was neat too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2687 on: March 05, 2022, 06:47:50 PM »
Yea crazy to think what it's like to watch a band you were a member in for so long. It did bring a smile to my face seeing him there, the little video he posted on instagram was neat too.

??

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2688 on: March 05, 2022, 06:53:17 PM »
Great news!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2689 on: March 05, 2022, 06:58:36 PM »

??

Get the app old man.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2690 on: March 05, 2022, 07:02:24 PM »

??

Get the app old man.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2691 on: March 05, 2022, 07:17:19 PM »
Exactly.  You're missing out.  Mike has a strong,  masculine wave.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2692 on: March 05, 2022, 07:21:04 PM »
Exactly.  You're missing out.  Mike has a strong,  masculine wave.

Gee, I'd hate to miss that. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2693 on: March 05, 2022, 07:27:07 PM »
 :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2694 on: March 05, 2022, 08:55:00 PM »
Time to start a new rumor!

DT will become a 2 drummer band like King Crimson or Grateful Dead. 2 drummers on stage at the same time. Might be better as they get older as they can split those difficult parts and do them as a twosome.

:biggrin:
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history