Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313830 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2625 on: August 27, 2021, 09:57:34 AM »
Another shot of MP with 3/4 of YYNOT (not sure who the guy on the far right is).

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2626 on: August 27, 2021, 10:57:29 AM »
- Hey Mike, can I take a pic with you? I'm a big fan.
- Sure!
- I'll post these on DTF.
- Get out.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2627 on: August 27, 2021, 11:09:41 AM »
"Is that still a thing?".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2628 on: August 27, 2021, 11:21:12 AM »
FWIW, I wasn't at this show, and no one in the pictures is me.

MP is in LA working on Winery Dogs stuff, and he took in this show.  This is the MP discussion thread, right?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2629 on: August 27, 2021, 11:46:18 AM »
- Sure!
- Get out.

I lament the absence of a proper eye-rolling emoji on DTF.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2630 on: August 27, 2021, 11:46:47 AM »
FWIW, I wasn't at this show, and no one in the pictures is me.

MP is in LA working on Winery Dogs stuff, and he took in this show.  This is the MP discussion thread, right?

???  I don't understand what you are pushing back on or why.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2631 on: August 27, 2021, 03:41:48 PM »
What the hell is YYNOT and is that seriously Charlie Dominici?

Online HOF

« Reply #2632 on: August 27, 2021, 04:19:36 PM »

They started out as a Rush cover band, I believe, but they also have original material. I heard one of their albums, and it's very Rush-esque with the occasional direct reference here and there, but it was pretty cool.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2633 on: August 27, 2021, 04:23:32 PM »
Oh ok. So instead of YYZ they are YY.....NOT!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2634 on: August 27, 2021, 05:30:04 PM »

That's not Charlie Dominici.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2635 on: August 27, 2021, 06:45:10 PM »
Oh ok. So instead of YYZ they are YY.....NOT!

Probably more like "Why? Why Not!".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2636 on: August 28, 2021, 08:46:46 AM »
Ah thanks guys.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2637 on: November 15, 2021, 01:55:39 PM »
From MP FB page:

Hot off the presses!!! I’ve partnered with Ambigram artist Mark Palmer on exclusive new MP design merchandise
This design is ONLY available in Red Chapter Clothing’s Pop-Up Collab store located at:
https://www.mikeportnoyxredchapter.com
**Available for a limited time in limited quantities, so go grab your t-shirts and hoodies now!!!**

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2638 on: November 15, 2021, 02:37:24 PM »
From MP FB page:

Hot off the presses!!! I’ve partnered with Ambigram artist Mark Palmer on exclusive new MP design merchandise
This design is ONLY available in Red Chapter Clothing’s Pop-Up Collab store located at:
https://www.mikeportnoyxredchapter.com
**Available for a limited time in limited quantities, so go grab your t-shirts and hoodies now!!!**
Not sure I love the design, but kudos for having manly sizes available.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2639 on: November 16, 2021, 01:26:57 PM »
- Sure!
- Get out.

:lol  more like GTFO.  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online HOF

« Reply #2640 on: January 20, 2022, 01:28:58 PM »
New cover featuring MP for an upcoming tribute to Leslie West. No idea who that is, but it's a Mountain song, so I'm guessing he was in Mountain. Mostly I'm sharing because I am surprised that Dee Snider can kind of sing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR3ySMnO8LWvmAjtQLgcU3ioamOgz6HHPcspD_7wOvJkIBPVhzvwiSXcYM4&v=P7OCDWxCLOs&feature=youtu.be

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2641 on: January 20, 2022, 01:42:11 PM »
Leslie West WAS Mountain.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online HOF

« Reply #2642 on: January 20, 2022, 01:46:13 PM »
Leslie West WAS Mountain.

Not very familiar Mountain (I vaguely remember hearing about West's passing in December now), but the song was pretty cool.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2643 on: January 20, 2022, 01:47:55 PM »
I saw them open for Triumph in the 80's and watched Leslie get into a fight onstage with their drummer.  Worst band I ever saw live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2644 on: January 20, 2022, 02:12:34 PM »
I saw them open for Triumph in the 80's and watched Leslie get into a fight onstage with their drummer.  Worst band I ever saw live.
Wow. Seeing bandmembers fight onstage earns enough bonus points to put them at least in the 30th percentile, I should think. "Well, musically they weren't as good as Jackyll, but man, seeing 'em fight was awesome!  :lol"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2645 on: January 21, 2022, 10:22:10 AM »
That's a sweet story.

Did the fight make them the worst?  Or did you already think they were the worst?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2646 on: January 21, 2022, 10:52:07 AM »
New cover featuring MP for an upcoming tribute to Leslie West. No idea who that is, but it's a Mountain song, so I'm guessing he was in Mountain. Mostly I'm sharing because I am surprised that Dee Snider can kind of sing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR3ySMnO8LWvmAjtQLgcU3ioamOgz6HHPcspD_7wOvJkIBPVhzvwiSXcYM4&v=P7OCDWxCLOs&feature=youtu.be

MP revealed on Twitter that the drum tracks were from the first Winery Dogs session. It was one of the covers they did that Richie never bothered to finish so he offered the drum track to Dee and Eddie.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2647 on: January 21, 2022, 01:44:37 PM »
Michael Schenker consistently cites the Theme For An Imaginary Western solo as a huge influence and has always declared his love for Leslie West.

Fitting that MP, Dee, and Eddie Ojeda covered this as Leslie was a NYC guy. And no one should be surprised that Dee can sing. He is tremendous.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #2648 on: January 21, 2022, 01:50:50 PM »
Michael Schenker consistently cites the Theme For An Imaginary Western solo as a huge influence and has always declared his love for Leslie West.

Fitting that MP, Dee, and Eddie Ojeda covered this as Leslie was a NYC guy. And no one should be surprised that Dee can sing. He is tremendous.

I think the only time I’ve heard Dee sing is on We’re Not Gonna Take It, and I just figured at his age he’d sound as broken down as everyone else from that era.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2649 on: January 21, 2022, 02:58:04 PM »

I think the only time I’ve heard Dee sing is on We’re Not Gonna Take It, and I just figured at his age he’d sound as broken down as everyone else from that era.

Dee was on the last Ayreon album, Transitus, and his song was actually one of the better ones on the album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2650 on: January 21, 2022, 03:11:14 PM »
Two thoughts:

Nantucket Sleighride is a legendary track.  I like Leslie West just for that alone.

Say what you want about Dee Snider; he's a dick, he dresses funny, he swears too much, his songs are cheap AC/DC rehashes...(by the way, I think NONE of those things; big Twisted Sister fan) but that man is a trained singer and CAN sing, and his voice hasn't lost a whole lot now that he's, what, 65.  There are a TON of guys that at their prime wish they sung like Dee Snider TODAY.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2651 on: January 24, 2022, 12:29:52 PM »
Just for fun, I wanted to make a list of all the DT tracks MP has played live since 2011 (his post-DT era) and the bands they were played with. I'm listing the songs in release order:

1. Take the Time (Noturnall)
2. Under a Glass Moon (Noturnall)
3. The Mirror (Haken, MP's Shattered Fortress)
4. A Change of Seasons I. The Crimson Sunrise (Metal Masters, PSMS)
5. Burning My Soul (PSMS)
6. Hell's Kitchen (PSMS, Sons of Apollo)
7. Lines in the Sand (PSMS, Sons of Apollo)
8. Just Let Me Breathe (Sons of Apollo)
9. Anna Lee (PSMS)
10. Overture 1928 (MP's Shattered Fortress)
11. Strange Deja Vu (MP's Shattered Fortress)
12. Home (MP's Shattered Fortress)
13. The Dance of Eternity (MP's Shattered Fortress)
14. Finally Free (MP's Shattered Fortress)
15. The Glass Prison (MP's Shattered Fortress)
16. As I Am (Noturnall)
17. This Dying Soul (MP's Shattered Fortress)
18. The Root of All Evil (MP's Shattered Fortress)
19. Repentance (flying Colors, MP's Shattered Fortress)
20. The Shattered Fortress (MP's Shattered Fortress)

Interestingly, he's played at least one song from each studio album he did with DT except WDADU. Also, he played Instrumedley once with Jordan, Eric Gillette and Conner Green, but that one also has LTE sections, so it isn't fully DT.

EDIT: He also did The Mirror with Haken.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 01:27:34 PM by gzarruk »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2652 on: January 24, 2022, 12:55:18 PM »
Just for fun, I wanted to make a list of all the DT tracks MP has played live since 2011 (his post-DT era) and the bands they were played with. I'm listing the songs in release order:

1. Take the Time (Noturnall)
2. Under a Glass Moon (Noturnall)
3. The Mirror (MP's Shattered Fortress)
4. A Change of Seasons I. The Crimson Sunrise (Metal Masters, PSMS)
5. Burning My Soul (PSMS)
6. Hell's Kitchen (PSMS, Sons of Apollo)
7. Lines in the Sand (PSMS, Sons of Apollo)
8. Just Let Me Breathe (Sons of Apollo)
9. Anna Lee (PSMS)
10. Overture 1928 (MP's Shattered Fortress)
11. Strange Deja Vu (MP's Shattered Fortress)
12. Home (MP's Shattered Fortress)
13. The Dance of Eternity (MP's Shattered Fortress)
14. Finally Free (MP's Shattered Fortress)
15. The Glass Prison (MP's Shattered Fortress)
16. As I Am (Noturnall)
17. This Dying Soul (MP's Shattered Fortress)
18. The Root of All Evil (MP's Shattered Fortress)
19. Repentance (flying Colors, MP's Shattered Fortress)
20. The Shattered Fortress (MP's Shattered Fortress)

Interestingly, he's played at least one song from each studio album he did with DT except WDADU. Also, he played Instrumedley once with Jordan, Eric Gillette and Conner Green, but that one also has LTE sections, so it isn't fully DT.

Well Shattered Fortress took care of 6 of those 9 albums with at least one song each already. I had no idea he played TTT and UAGM (then again I have no idea who Noturnall is/was). I knew about all the PSMS/SOA played covers, though. Thanks for putting this list together! It's definitely more than one might think with all of them listed together like that.

Of all the songs with lyrics by MP, the only ones he hasn't played since leaving DT include "Constant Motion", "Honor Thy Father", "Never Enough", "New Millennium", "Raise The Knife", and "The Best Of Times", the latter two of which I doubt he'll ever play. At this point in his career, though, I wonder how many more times he'll ever play a DT song on stage. With SOA, the next time they tour, it'll probably be for a third studio album and they won't need to do any covers with the amount of material they'll have by then. With Flying Colors, they haven't done any covers (AFAIK) since their first tour. Unless Mike has another Birthday Bash or some sort of anniversary celebration where he's not playing in one of his usual bands, I don't see him play any of these songs again.

-Marc.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2653 on: January 24, 2022, 01:07:23 PM »
9. Anna Lee (PSMS)
Don't you mean Been Here Before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiZLZpqFNFU

AFAIK, they never did AL with PSMS. I remember DS even made comments about how he hated AL, so I can't imagine that would've made the setlist for PSMS.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2654 on: January 24, 2022, 01:16:21 PM »
Well Shattered Fortress took care of 6 of those 9 albums with at least one song each already. I had no idea he played TTT and UAGM (then again I have no idea who Noturnall is/was). I knew about all the PSMS/SOA played covers, though. Thanks for putting this list together! It's definitely more than one might think with all of them listed together like that.

Of all the songs with lyrics by MP, the only ones he hasn't played since leaving DT include "Constant Motion", "Honor Thy Father", "Never Enough", "New Millennium", "Raise The Knife", and "The Best Of Times", the latter two of which I doubt he'll ever play. At this point in his career, though, I wonder how many more times he'll ever play a DT song on stage. With SOA, the next time they tour, it'll probably be for a third studio album and they won't need to do any covers with the amount of material they'll have by then. With Flying Colors, they haven't done any covers (AFAIK) since their first tour. Unless Mike has another Birthday Bash or some sort of anniversary celebration where he's not playing in one of his usual bands, I don't see him play any of these songs again.

-Marc.

Noturnall is a brazillian prog/power metal band which formed from previous members of Angra and Shaman. They invited JLB for a tour in which they played some DT songs, as well as some from his solo albums. A couple years after that, they invited MP to do the same thing and played some DT+ AMOB songs (since Mike Orlando is also part of Noturnall).

And as for other DT songs he might play in the future, I'm quite positive he'll do ACOS in full with SOA at some point.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2655 on: January 24, 2022, 01:17:39 PM »
9. Anna Lee (PSMS)

AFAIK, they never did AL with PSMS. I remember DS even made comments about how he hated AL, so I can't imagine that would've made the setlist for PSMS.

Nope, I meant Anna Lee. They did it with Ted Leonard on vocals  :tup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxtjIWxUB_4 (same show as the infamous version of BMS with Devin Townsend :rollin)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2656 on: January 24, 2022, 01:19:57 PM »
9. Anna Lee (PSMS)

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/portnoy-sheehan-macalpine-sherinian/2014/norwegian-pearl-miami-fl-7bc55a90.html

Thank goodness setlist.fm can let you search by song title and see which artists have played that song.

9. Anna Lee (PSMS)

Nope, I meant Anna Lee. They did it with Ted Leonard on vocals  :tup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxtjIWxUB_4 (same show as the infamous version of BMS with Devin Townsend :rollin)

Aaaaaand as I was typing my above reply, gzarruk beat me to it with a youtube link. Ah well...

-Marc.

Online HOF

« Reply #2657 on: January 24, 2022, 01:36:40 PM »
9. Anna Lee (PSMS)

Ted is such a pro. Knocked that one out.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2658 on: January 24, 2022, 01:47:49 PM »
9. Anna Lee (PSMS)

Ted is such a pro. Knocked that one out.
Perfect song for Ted.  He sounded great.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2659 on: January 24, 2022, 01:55:15 PM »
9. Anna Lee (PSMS)

Ha! Nice call. I don't think I ever checked out that full show after seeing Devin's performance of BMS with them. Honestly, I'm surprised that MP convinced DS to play it given the amount of disdain DS has for that song.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.