Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313884 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2590 on: May 26, 2021, 08:33:51 AM »
Even though the record bins that MP is showcasing is only for recent vinyl releases, he still can't have less than 7 or 8 Zappa albums. :lol and he even admitted he is missing a few more essentials.

I wonder what Mike's opinions are on Zappa's less studied work, like his classical and electronic/synclavier works, or his less talked about rock albums.
I'd love to listen to him discuss and dissect every Zappa album.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2591 on: May 26, 2021, 10:05:23 AM »
I didn't realize he played on an Enuff Z'nuff record...
I'm not holding it against him.  A gig's a gig.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2592 on: May 30, 2021, 05:05:18 PM »
A catalog of every studio and live album Mike Portnoy has appeared on, minus Haken's Restoration EP. No bootlegs here.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzA0cfmW8AAM0Uc?format=png&name=4096x4096

Wow, it's so much!

At the very least, MP beats us by tiredness!  :lol

It's 99 albums. The next album with MP's name on it will be #100, and it appears it might be the new album from The Neal Morse Band.

I have 85 from that list so far and the ones I don't have I'm not interested in getting. Can't remember the last time I listened to that John Arch record either.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2593 on: May 30, 2021, 05:11:17 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gks_ECSNjxA

Finally! The final episode of #MPVinyl is premiering today at 2pm EST!
Mike Portnoy - MP Vinyl Ep 8 of 8 (T-Z)

Nice. I really can't figure out why he doesn't start some kind of regular Youtube/podcast thing talking about music. He's pretty engaging to listen to talking about everything music-related and could concentrate on one or two bands per episode.

I think at this point, he wants to avoid it if it becomes an expectation. He probably would do it for fun as long as he doesn't feel obligated. I'd love it if he did more too but I kind of understand where he's coming from especially after watching the last episode.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2594 on: May 30, 2021, 11:41:35 PM »
I thought I had a lot of MP albums but seems like I only have about half his output.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2595 on: May 31, 2021, 09:05:22 AM »

Nice. I really can't figure out why he doesn't start some kind of regular Youtube/podcast thing talking about music. He's pretty engaging to listen to talking about everything music-related and could concentrate on one or two bands per episode.

I think at this point, he wants to avoid it if it becomes an expectation. He probably would do it for fun as long as he doesn't feel obligated. I'd love it if he did more too but I kind of understand where he's coming from especially after watching the last episode.

MP does this to himself, like with the Twelve Step Suite. He creates homework assignments for himself.
He can just say "I'm going to do these "podcasts" every so often when I feel like it. No regular schedule, no goals to hit. Might be once a week, might be once a year or longer."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2596 on: May 31, 2021, 06:05:16 PM »

MP does this to himself, like with the Twelve Step Suite. He creates homework assignments for himself.
He can just say "I'm going to do these "podcasts" every so often when I feel like it. No regular schedule, no goals to hit. Might be once a week, might be once a year or longer."

Similar to the Album Years podcast with Steven Wilson. They come out when they come out but are always fun to listen to.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2597 on: May 31, 2021, 09:09:14 PM »
I wonder if the idea of a Podcast with someone else might appeal to him more than talking to a Microphone or Camera regularly. With The Album Years, Steven Wilson does have Tim Bowness to talk to, etc.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2598 on: May 31, 2021, 09:46:14 PM »
He creates homework assignments for himself.

:lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DTA

« Reply #2599 on: June 02, 2021, 04:57:46 AM »

Exactly. No set schedule or anything, just a "here's what bands I'm currently into" or "let's run through the Black Sabbath catalog and talk about the albums" type of thing. But I get it, it becomes another thing he has to obsess over.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2600 on: June 04, 2021, 01:16:19 PM »
Another quarantine cover that MP took part in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqy6O8no_Ic
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2601 on: June 04, 2021, 01:38:39 PM »

What a fun cover! I discovered Dirty Loops last year, so seeing Henrik Linder here was a big surprise!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #2602 on: June 04, 2021, 01:44:10 PM »

Just finished watching this and was coming here to share it. Never heard of any of the other guys. The bass player is fun.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2603 on: June 04, 2021, 01:45:26 PM »

Just finished watching this and was coming here to share it. Never heard of any of the other guys. The bass player is fun.

You should check out his main band Dirty Loops. I suggest the song "Work Shit Out", as well as "Coffee Break Is Over".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #2604 on: June 04, 2021, 02:39:42 PM »

You should check out his main band Dirty Loops. I suggest the song "Work Shit Out", as well as "Coffee Break Is Over".

-Marc.

Will have to check them out!

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #2605 on: June 05, 2021, 10:15:49 AM »

Wow! Great find - this is my all time favorite Boston track, so it's super cool to see MP playing it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2606 on: June 06, 2021, 09:50:39 AM »

Wow! Great find - this is my all time favorite Boston track, so it's super cool to see MP playing it.

My favorite Boston song too, but I like the cover of Jane much better.
I'm no Bruins fan (Especially at this particular moment) but it would have been cool to see that instead of the Celtics jerseys but he's a sleeveless fan so it's understandable.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2607 on: June 07, 2021, 08:01:21 AM »
For all the criticisms, Mike continues to entertain me with his music.  I just love watching him play, and he elevates (almost) everything he's in.  Joel Hoekstra is a favorite and I loved the "hand clap" part; they well and truly looked like they were having fun!

Having said that, these covers are problematic for me; Brad Delp is (was) an AMAZING singer and is, for me, the magic that is Boston.  So listening to the same overwrought, gravelly vocal (ala Russell Allen and Jeff Scott Soto) on this song kind of diminishes it for me.  It's not enough to just hit the notes; tone is so important and I miss that crystal clear tone Brad had.

EDIT:  Same criticism on Jane; just listen to the first line:  it's sung like he's an hour and a half into a Dio concert.   Mickey has the same sort of crystal clear tone as Brad had and it set that band apart; that's part of the reason I like that mid-period Jefferson Starship stuff so much; it was like Journey and Boston, in that it was well-played, reasonably detailed music with a stellar melodic singer who SANG, not screamed.  I say this to be funny not mean (though it's going to come off as mean), but I have little desire to listen to Dio disciples sing these songs.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2608 on: June 07, 2021, 10:16:42 AM »
The weak point of the cover was definitely the singer.  He kind of sounded like shit.

Everyone else was fun, and I liked how they each made it their own, instead of just mirroring the original. 

Good stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2609 on: June 07, 2021, 12:34:22 PM »
Really good cover - I agree with those who said that they like that they put their own spin on it, instead of doing a note-for-note copy (*cough*DreamTheater*cough*)

Having said that, these covers are problematic for me; Brad Delp is (was) an AMAZING singer and is, for me, the magic that is Boston.  So listening to the same overwrought, gravelly vocal (ala Russell Allen and Jeff Scott Soto) on this song kind of diminishes it for me.  It's not enough to just hit the notes; tone is so important and I miss that crystal clear tone Brad had.
I am glad that Dino did put his own spin on it, but I agree that his "tough guy" vocals take away from the cover. That might be the style he wants to put forth (which honestly makes me think more of Coverdale than Dio), but it's not his true way of singing. You can tell during certain parts of this cover (more than on the others) that he *does* have the ability to sing clean, and sounds much better, but he feels he has to keep up that "tough guy" image.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2610 on: June 07, 2021, 04:08:10 PM »
I don't envy anyone trying to cover a song where Brad Delp did the original vocal.  It's like starting a foot race with Usain Bolt 20 paces behind.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2611 on: June 07, 2021, 06:05:40 PM »
I don't envy anyone trying to cover a song where Brad Delp did the original vocal.  It's like starting a foot race with Usain Bolt 20 paces behind.

Or this..

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2612 on: July 07, 2021, 04:53:25 PM »
As per the latest MP Facebook post, a new album from TWD is in the works

He wrote: The Dogs are back in Town! 🍷🐾 #TWD3

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2613 on: July 07, 2021, 05:40:28 PM »
Oh, good!  I've been having trouble sleeping lately.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2614 on: July 07, 2021, 06:40:53 PM »
Oh, good!  I've been having trouble sleeping lately.

:lol I had a real good laugh there Bosk.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2615 on: July 07, 2021, 06:47:48 PM »
 :D :D Well… I’m very excited! :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2616 on: July 07, 2021, 07:17:42 PM »
Saw his Twitter post of him on an airplane saying he was off to record an album. The Dogs was my first guess. Looking forward to it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online HOF

« Reply #2618 on: July 13, 2021, 08:57:47 PM »
Yo!! Finally MP plays something with Kip Winger!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2VGO3vTAuB5C_gr39qjF3gpHzLbHlb0hgP-k4d4j2YJLAXC-vGfG_zDkI&v=xGeIX5BiXsw&feature=youtu.be

This is flippin' fantastic. Kip's voice is still so good, and Mike just handles the Ringo-style kit so well. Plus Andy Timmons, you can't beat that. Soto is fine in a BV role even.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2619 on: July 14, 2021, 08:44:52 AM »
Yo!! Finally MP plays something with Kip Winger!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2VGO3vTAuB5C_gr39qjF3gpHzLbHlb0hgP-k4d4j2YJLAXC-vGfG_zDkI&v=xGeIX5BiXsw&feature=youtu.be

This is flippin' fantastic. Kip's voice is still so good, and Mike just handles the Ringo-style kit so well. Plus Andy Timmons, you can't beat that. Soto is fine in a BV role even.

That kicked ASS.  I LOVED that.   Wow.  I think Mike strikes the perfect balance when playing the Beatles, and I'm a sucker for Kip's voice.

Online HOF

« Reply #2620 on: July 14, 2021, 09:16:28 AM »
I don’t know if She Said She Said is my favorite Beatles song or not. I’ve never thought about it really, but it stands out as one. That harmony is just killer.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:05:32 PM by HOF »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2621 on: August 27, 2021, 09:08:54 AM »
MP sighting at the YYNOT show in LA last night:

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2622 on: August 27, 2021, 09:13:42 AM »
That's cool that he and Charlie Dominicci stay close enough that Charlie comes to shows and poses for pics with Mike.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2623 on: August 27, 2021, 09:21:21 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2624 on: August 27, 2021, 09:23:40 AM »
Yeah it was only a matter of time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol