Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 314000 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2520 on: February 05, 2021, 02:46:20 PM »
Couldn't come up with a quirky name this time?

The Drumsolute Universe?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2521 on: February 05, 2021, 02:49:19 PM »
Couldn't come up with a quirky name this time?

The Drumsolute Universe?

The Drumsolete Universe*

*No new beats, fills or grooves were used during the recording of this video.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2522 on: February 05, 2021, 03:13:16 PM »
Haven't checked out the album but this might be a fun watch so I'll pick up the digital edition

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2523 on: February 05, 2021, 06:23:37 PM »
MP presenting Megadeth on MTV, this is soo cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWeSwbpQnsQ&feature=youtu.be

:metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2524 on: February 13, 2021, 05:53:09 PM »
I skipped over the parts about Slayer, Sons of Apollo and Testament (don't care about any of those), and basically just watched for the Spock's and TA stuff.  He must have missed the Noise Floor boat since he referred to Brief Noctures and Dreamless Sleep and The Oblivion Particle as the last two Spock's albums. That was odd since he is usually pretty on the money with his knowledge of bands he calls favorites, but maybe he didn't follow them quite as closely once Neal departed?  Anyway, no biggie, just thought that was kind of funny.  Cool to hear that all of the TA albums will likely be reissued on vinyl in the very near future.

I noticed that too. Part of why I even watch these things is his encyclopedic knowledge of stuff, even though I'm not into at least half the bands he talks about. He was also unsure of some of the Symphony X stuff. Probably a combination of being in his 50s and his brain finally reaching a limit a useless knowledge. I'm a lot younger than him and I find myself stumbling over stuff I used to know every detail about to the point where I find myself looking at my thousands of DVDs and CDs and forgetting I even have them and wondering if it's even worth it. The answer I always come to is 'yes' by the way.

I'll never be a Symphony X fan either, but I know he is and it's still cool to hear him talk about them. I just get the enthusiasm. My brain has been melting too and wonder how I used to remember everything. Certainly not the case now.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2525 on: February 13, 2021, 06:05:50 PM »
I skipped over the parts about Slayer, Sons of Apollo and Testament (don't care about any of those), and basically just watched for the Spock's and TA stuff.  He must have missed the Noise Floor boat since he referred to Brief Noctures and Dreamless Sleep and The Oblivion Particle as the last two Spock's albums. That was odd since he is usually pretty on the money with his knowledge of bands he calls favorites, but maybe he didn't follow them quite as closely once Neal departed?  Anyway, no biggie, just thought that was kind of funny.  Cool to hear that all of the TA albums will likely be reissued on vinyl in the very near future.

I noticed that too. Part of why I even watch these things is his encyclopedic knowledge of stuff, even though I'm not into at least half the bands he talks about. He was also unsure of some of the Symphony X stuff. Probably a combination of being in his 50s and his brain finally reaching a limit a useless knowledge. I'm a lot younger than him and I find myself stumbling over stuff I used to know every detail about to the point where I find myself looking at my thousands of DVDs and CDs and forgetting I even have them and wondering if it's even worth it. The answer I always come to is 'yes' by the way.

Man, tell me about it. The thing I was known for with my friends was my brain and endless bits if useless music knowledge. Now, at 44, my brain keeps locking up on me and it really pisses me off. It's not cool having to spend hours ruminating on something you could spout off like nothing. I'm a SymX fan and I had the same problem MP did. I couldn't remember if that was Russ' first album or not. Sucks gettin' old.

Sure does. Have a lot more compassion for Geddy Alex and Neil for forgetting or not knowing stuff and they always were forward thinking and not fixated on the history like some fans have.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2526 on: February 25, 2021, 10:52:43 PM »
Portnoy was on with Pete Pardo of Sea of Tranquility talking his Top 10 Double Albums.

People that enjoy his Vinyl Collection videos probably would enjoy this.

I'd love to see Portnoy go on Sea of Tranquility again as a lot of great discussion between the 2 of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7768Mjbsk&fbclid=IwAR1HrjY-Usc7u_KA9azrTKt1W40r7cf1VbvGt0Jc7ATBhqPU6tatTsArD7s

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2527 on: February 25, 2021, 11:36:11 PM »
I cannot wait to watch that.  :metal

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2528 on: February 26, 2021, 03:48:15 PM »
Portnoy was on with Pete Pardo of Sea of Tranquility talking his Top 10 Double Albums.

I'd love to see Portnoy go on Sea of Tranquility again as a lot of great discussion between the 2 of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7768Mjbsk&fbclid=IwAR1HrjY-Usc7u_KA9azrTKt1W40r7cf1VbvGt0Jc7ATBhqPU6tatTsArD7s

Pete and Sea of Tranquility awesome. He had JP on recently too.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2529 on: February 26, 2021, 04:35:33 PM »

That's cool, I'll have to give it a listen soon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2530 on: February 26, 2021, 10:29:16 PM »
That was a good watch.

Not to spoil too much, but I can't say I was too surprised that most of the picks (by both) were from the late 60's or 70's.  It made me wonder what my favorite double albums would be, and of course they made great points about how a lot of single albums nowadays are longer than double albums from back then (since you can fit 79+ minutes of music on to a single CD), so the lines can get a bit blurry, but it's still a fun thing to ponder. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2531 on: February 27, 2021, 06:32:11 AM »
I watched it. Pretty cool. I've watched many of Pardo's videos.
I think something like this should have been split between vinyl era and CD era, since a TFK double album like Unfold The Future would be at least a quadruple album on vinyl. MP picked Snow from Spock's Beard, which I believe he said was a triple LP. I liked MP's pick for Joe's Garage from Zappa, the cousin of Lather, which was originally meant to be a quadruple album.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2532 on: February 27, 2021, 08:53:27 AM »
MP has a pretty remarkable canon at this point.
I think between his work with DT/LTE, and Neal Morse/NMB/Transatlantic/Flying Colors alone, you have a vast discography with dozens and dozens of hours of creative content, most of his best stuff out there, and I love pretty much all of it. Then you have all the work he's done with JP, KM/OSI, Derek and Sons of Apollo, and the many various projects he's been involved with over the years. All with varying levels of success, but never a dull moment for sure.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2533 on: February 27, 2021, 09:35:38 AM »
I watched it. Pretty cool. I've watched many of Pardo's videos.
I think something like this should have been split between vinyl era and CD era, since a TFK double album like Unfold The Future would be at least a quadruple album on vinyl. MP picked Snow from Spock's Beard, which I believe he said was a triple LP. I liked MP's pick for Joe's Garage from Zappa, the cousin of Lather, which was originally meant to be a quadruple album.

That might have made sense, but it seems they were looking at initial release format.

You could just take any album that is over at least 45 or even 40 minutes, on Vinyl could be released as a Double.

Why it seems the majority of Vinyl records I end up buying have been Double LPs per many of them were albums I bought on CD initially, but finally have been issued on Vinyl, and they exceed 40-45 minutes.

Also sadly, why they cost a lot more money given it's 2 discs, not 1 CD  :yeahright  :angry:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2534 on: February 27, 2021, 09:39:46 AM »
He has been a hard guy to like at times over the years, as my posts have indicated :lol, but he seems to have really mellowed over the last few years.  He was obviously pretty angry and bitter the first few years after leaving DT (which was understandable, even if his situation was his own doing), but he seems a lot more grounded and relaxed now.  I am sure of it is age, some of it is the pandemic and being stuck at home and not always being in constant motion (chortle, chortle), and some of it is not only renewing his friendship with, but working with Petrucci and Rudess again (which HAS to be therapeutic). 

I don't see the point in quibbling too much over what is a double album or not. That video was two just music lovers talking about music they love, and that is never a bad thing.  :hat :hat

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2535 on: February 27, 2021, 12:19:38 PM »
What an awesome video. I enjoyed it as much as I'd enjoy a good movie.  :corn

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2536 on: February 27, 2021, 07:23:59 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere. Vivaldi Metal Project ft. Mike Portnoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G892uO6DORA

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2537 on: February 28, 2021, 02:12:03 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere. Vivaldi Metal Project ft. Mike Portnoy

Thanks. Didn't know about this. Seems like he only plays on one track though.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2538 on: March 01, 2021, 11:37:36 AM »

I don't know John - he said that he was cutting some drum tracks. He did show the chart that for the song that he was tracking, but perhaps he meant the song he was tracking at that moment. Guess we'll find out for certain once it's closer to being released.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2539 on: March 07, 2021, 06:35:23 PM »

I don't know John - he said that he was cutting some drum tracks. He did show the chart that for the song that he was tracking, but perhaps he meant the song he was tracking at that moment. Guess we'll find out for certain once it's closer to being released.

That's entirely possible too. We'll know soon enough.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2540 on: March 11, 2021, 03:56:27 PM »
Portnoy was on with Pete Pardo again, this time discussing Live Albums: Favorite single lp/disc, that could/should have been Doubles/Triples/Quadruples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrhd4Xfnnas

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2541 on: March 11, 2021, 04:09:25 PM »
 :angry: Mike Portnoy is a

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2542 on: March 11, 2021, 05:12:59 PM »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2543 on: March 11, 2021, 05:42:55 PM »
Portnoy was on with Pete Pardo again, this time discussing Live Albums: Favorite single lp/disc, that could/should have been Doubles/Triples/Quadruples

Both guys sporting killer t-shirts.  :coolio :coolio

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2544 on: March 11, 2021, 07:56:32 PM »
This Saturday March 13@3pm EST, I will be Jordan Rudess’ special guest on his Live Patreon Chat. We will discuss our upcoming #LTE3 release and more. With over 25 years of friendship and musical collaboration, there is a lot to talk about!
Only on Jordan’s Patreon: www.patreon.com/jordanrudess

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2545 on: March 11, 2021, 11:34:36 PM »
:angry: Mike Portnoy is a

passionate dog-loving musician who cares about his fans. Pretty sure you were going to say something along those lines.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2546 on: March 12, 2021, 07:50:31 AM »
This Saturday March 13@3pm EST, I will be Jordan Rudess’ special guest on his Live Patreon Chat. We will discuss our upcoming #LTE3 release and more. With over 25 years of friendship and musical collaboration, there is a lot to talk about!

YOU will be the guest? What an honor!!!! Good for you, man!!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2547 on: March 12, 2021, 07:57:37 AM »

I think he was quoting MP, no?  :huh: :justjen
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2548 on: March 12, 2021, 07:58:30 AM »

I think he was quoting MP, no?  :huh: :justjen

He was...I was just joking! MinistroRaven and I are buddies.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2549 on: March 12, 2021, 08:01:21 AM »

I figured that was a quote, but I first read that thinking the same thing  :lol I'm like damn thats awesome, then I read "we will" and I was like uhhh ok I don't think you are in LTE though

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2550 on: March 12, 2021, 08:04:05 AM »
Sorry, slow morning for me :natalieportman: :biggrin:
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2551 on: March 12, 2021, 08:49:57 AM »
No, but you do make a point though. Ministro needs to give context to the press statements they just copypaste as forum posts. At the very least put them in quote boxes. Or add their own personal smack talk to indicate that it is a press release and not their own statement.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2552 on: March 12, 2021, 11:10:37 AM »

Well, I haven't heard that yet, but that's an interesting and oddly specific question (and I'm thinking of what came out originally on LP).

Made In Europe by Deep Purple is my number one by a long shot.
If You Want Blood...  by AC/DC
Reel To Real by Marillion
Live At Last by Sabbath
Live At The Marque by Dream Theater.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2553 on: March 12, 2021, 12:32:28 PM »

Well, I haven't heard that yet, but that's an interesting and oddly specific question (and I'm thinking of what came out originally on LP).

Made In Europe by Deep Purple is my number one by a long shot.
If You Want Blood...  by AC/DC
Reel To Real by Marillion
Live At Last by Sabbath
Live At The Marque by Dream Theater.

Haven't watched the video to see what all they discussed, but I would also add Genesis Live and Operation Livecrime to that list.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online HOF

« Reply #2554 on: March 16, 2021, 03:38:25 PM »
Not sure if this video of this Deden Noy kid covering Metropolis on a homemade kit has been posted here, but it’s super fun, and Mike just tweeted that he’s working with Tama and Sabian to get him his own real kit.

https://twitter.com/mikeportnoy/status/1371936817394675712?s=21