Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 312703 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2450 on: September 18, 2020, 12:48:46 PM »
As do I.  Please do NOT spread unconfirmed rumors from unnamed sources.  "I know a guy who knows a guy that I trust" doesn't cut it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2451 on: September 18, 2020, 01:53:59 PM »
I just want protect him sir. Didn't want to stir up anything. Plus it was a confluence of things that I said. It's never one thing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2452 on: September 18, 2020, 01:54:12 PM »
Obviously, MP was the one who spearheaded official bootlegs, since he was the one with the massive archives, wrote the setlists and was familiar with shows that were noteworthy. And, like official releases, he oversaw many aspects of them, including artwork, packaging, etc. But when it came to the mixing of the recordings, where it wasn't just pulled from a 2-track DAT recording, I'm pretty confident that JP would have overseen that aspect of it. After all, these releases are listed as being produced by both of them. That said, I *do* think most official bootlegs are taken from 2-track DAT recordings.

With regards to the Uncovered 2003-2005 release, I'm pretty sure that all the recordings were just pulled from the 2-track DAT recordings, because in the credits, it lists Nigel Paul as doing the "Live Audio Mix" and Fred Kevorkian as mastering the recordings, but no one is listed as doing the actual mixing for the CD itself. OTOH, their Made in Japan official bootleg includes the same credits for Nigel Paul, and both mixing and mastering were done by Roger Glover.

So in the case of the Uncovered 2003-2005 release, if those recordings were taken from the 2-track DATs, then there really isn't much that could be done to boost JM in the mix, aside from maybe some EQing. And as we all know, JM is not known to be high in the live mix of shows, so that's why he's not high in the mix of that official bootleg, either.

Makes sense.  Thanks for the info.  By the way, any idea where one can read the liner notes for that Uncovered release?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2453 on: September 18, 2020, 01:55:08 PM »
Plus it's 10 years. I'm glad MP & JP worked together again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2454 on: September 18, 2020, 03:39:24 PM »
What I remember is that, at the time, the split looked, in paper (their statements), much more amicable than it actually was.

I bet it was...at first. I bet there were the normal feelings involved in the initial split. Feelings of abandonment, maybe even betrayed, scared for their family's well being and financial security, but nothing like it turned into thanks to...well....we don't need to get into that again.

But yeah, i think it got bad after the first month or two and then when they wouldnt let mike back in, the threats of a lawsuit, etc....that was when it got really bad.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2455 on: September 18, 2020, 04:37:49 PM »
Yeah, for the first few years or so I have had this sinking feeling that things would just keep getting worse and worse until they all cross a threshold where it's unlikely that they would be friends again. Fortunately that hasn't happened, and we should probably give MP the bear's share of the credit for that. I don't follow him as actively as other people but aside from a few foot-in-mouth moments, whenever I tune into one of his social media feeds or interviews or videos in the past year or so, he's talking about things with a lot of grace, which I found very new. Like, don't flame me, but out of many positive words I would associate with MP (as I perceive him), "grace" and especially "tact" was never at the top of the list. But he's just very chill and always talks about the good side of things nowadays.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2456 on: September 18, 2020, 05:10:34 PM »
Plus it was a confluence of things that I said. It's never one thing.
So will you elaborate on the rest of these things?

Makes sense.  Thanks for the info.  By the way, any idea where one can read the liner notes for that Uncovered release?
If you can't find them doing a Google search, I couldn't tell ya.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2457 on: September 18, 2020, 05:22:47 PM »
The other things are conjecture on my part. 

Mike wanted to be heavier with DT.  James voice didn't fit that style he had envisioned.  Hence he started to add his lead vocals.

Mike's focus on side projects that influenced him with DT.  He also became tired of his "first wife, DT."

So the other music was alluring.   Add he wanted the break because of these influences and the rest of the bsnd didn't.

Like I said,  I'm guessing in my end but I think a lot is intertwined in his decision. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2458 on: September 19, 2020, 03:28:47 PM »
I just want protect him sir. Didn't want to stir up anything. Plus it was a confluence of things that I said. It's never one thing.

Had no idea about this either. Not a hint.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2459 on: September 19, 2020, 08:16:23 PM »

Mike wanted to be heavier with DT.  James voice didn't fit that style he had envisioned.  Hence he started to add his lead vocals.

Mike's focus on side projects that influenced him with DT.  He also became tired of his "first wife, DT."

So the other music was alluring.   Add he wanted the break because of these influences and the rest of the band didn't.

I thought that was all basically assumed to some degree.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2460 on: September 20, 2020, 05:34:16 AM »

So the other music was alluring.   Add he wanted the break because of these influences and the rest of the band didn't.

I thought that was all basically assumed to some degree.
To a degree the second/third point is true. MP has stated in interviews that (in essence) he noticed how much fun he was having with these side projects and with A7X, in comparison to the time spent when touring with DT. So he wanted to take a break so that the band could recharge its batteries and feel reinvigorated, instead of just plodding along - absence makes the heart grow fonder, as has been proven true by him and JP getting together around the holidays and finally doing something musically.

To the first point, I have to disagree. While MP may have been the most "metal" guy in the band, that didn't mean that JP wasn't in full agreement with it. Everyone's super quick to point to SC and BCaSL as being "metal" albums, but there are a lot of non-metal elements to parts of those albums, too. If they had done back-to-back albums that were like ToT, I'd be more likely to agree, but that's not the case.

Regarding MP adding his vocals, I think you forget that he (and JP) started adding their vocals back on FII, and MP's first featured prominently on SDoIT which is probably one of the most diverse albums in terms of styles. Even after World Tourbulence, they had the big talk with JL, and back then there was the talk that maybe his style of vocal wasn't exactly what they wanted, but chose to continue on with him, if he would make improvements on his performances, which he did.

So this is nothing new and wasn't something that just cropped up within the last 1 or 2 years that MP was still in the band.

BTW, kingshmegland, I am wondering if your unnamed source is getting the split between MP and DT mixed up with the split between Geoff Tate and Queensryche, which has been confirmed that they had security guards to separate Tater from the rest of the band. That seems to be the most logical possibility.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #2461 on: September 23, 2020, 11:33:09 AM »
Getting back to MP on JP's new album...

We know JP programmed drums and he said he let MP do his thing. Which means here are the rythms and patterns to the songs but add your personal touch to them.

As a result, I think this is MP's best studio performance since his departure from DT. He sounds fresh and energized.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2462 on: September 23, 2020, 12:48:38 PM »
MP just shared a new song by Richie Kotzen with MP on drums. Not sure the Facebook link will work, but it’s on MP and Richie’s facebooks. Sounds pretty cool.

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/story.php?story_fbid=10158721788394938&id=9531729937

Good to see them doing something together even if it was sort of a quick one off like this. Hopefully TWD comes back once SOA runs its course and Richie recharges from his busy year of solo stuff.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:57:56 PM by HOF »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2463 on: September 23, 2020, 02:57:39 PM »
MP just shared a new song by Richie Kotzen with MP on drums. Not sure the Facebook link will work, but it’s on MP and Richie’s facebooks. Sounds pretty cool.

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/story.php?story_fbid=10158721788394938&id=9531729937

Good to see them doing something together even if it was sort of a quick one off like this. Hopefully TWD comes back once SOA runs its course and Richie recharges from his busy year of solo stuff.

I LOVED that song, and I think the chemistry between Mike, Richie and Billy is quite unique, especially live. I too hope that TWD does something soon. They were on a roll with album #2, then Richie pulled the plug...

Offline emtee

« Reply #2464 on: September 23, 2020, 04:06:58 PM »
Whoa! Killer song. I dig it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2465 on: September 24, 2020, 10:41:24 PM »
Mike retweeted my clip of This Dying Soul from the Shattered Fortress show 3 years ago (and one day).  :metal :metal

https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1309339483112865792

but also, that show was so much fun because we played arcade games before and had a solid DTF meet up for this one

And finally Sep. 24, New York City, NY. (Milahhhhhh, El Barto, Stadler, Cram, Nick, Axeman)

Also, no regrets on my middle finger, I got two in. Check between Stads and Bart  :yarr

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2466 on: September 25, 2020, 07:45:59 AM »
That was a great fuckin' day, start to finish.   Really a good time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2467 on: September 25, 2020, 07:49:28 AM »
Well, one guy knows how to do it...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2468 on: September 25, 2020, 07:54:05 AM »

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2469 on: September 25, 2020, 08:00:29 AM »
That was a great fuckin' day, start to finish.   Really a good time.

Nice shirt man, I also still have that one  :coolio
Bought it at my first DT concert in Munich in June 2009, when I was 16. And it still fits (more or less)  :metal
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2470 on: September 25, 2020, 08:20:22 AM »

If you go back, I think there was about a page and a half of commentary critiquing my execution.  I've learned!!!  :) :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2471 on: September 25, 2020, 09:13:31 PM »
If you go back, I think there was about a page and a half of commentary critiquing my execution. 

My first thought was "hey, wasn't that the picture that instigated the discussion about acceptable middle finger flipping techniques?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2472 on: September 25, 2020, 09:23:51 PM »
Coz is the catalyst for all things middle finger from DTF.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2473 on: September 25, 2020, 09:58:18 PM »
Hey king shmegland - you ever confirm with your unnamed buddy whether the talk about security guards to protect band members was in fact MP and JL, instead of Geoff Tate and Queensryche?

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2474 on: September 26, 2020, 04:32:03 PM »

If you go back, I think there was about a page and a half of commentary critiquing my execution.  I've learned!!!  :) :)

I also feel suitably chastened from that...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2475 on: September 26, 2020, 04:34:19 PM »
Every time I see a picture of Millahh, I have to remember that he is not black. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2476 on: September 26, 2020, 06:42:23 PM »
Every time I see a picture of Millahh, I have to remember that he is not black. :lol

Well obviously. His avatar is clearly blue. :P
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2477 on: September 26, 2020, 07:10:05 PM »
Hey king shmegland - you ever confirm with your unnamed buddy whether the talk about security guards to protect band members was in fact MP and JL, instead of Geoff Tate and Queensryche?

Check your PM's. I'm still not naming a name.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2478 on: September 26, 2020, 07:15:00 PM »
I know who the security guard was...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2479 on: September 26, 2020, 08:49:23 PM »
It just doesn't make sense that they would have security guards. Did they ride on the bus with them? Sleep in the bunk in between them? If not, then why was it so important to have them at the venue? They could magically ride on a bus together but you put them in a room with catering and WATCH OUT!

Offline DTA

« Reply #2480 on: October 02, 2020, 02:04:13 PM »
Did he stop doing the vinyl videos? I was really enjoying them

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: October 02, 2020, 05:58:20 PM »
I was wondering that too, I was really enjoying them.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2482 on: October 03, 2020, 06:38:58 AM »
He's been too busy blocking people on twitter.

I actually find it hilarious that people are like "stop posting your political opinions" and he's like "nah, but i'll block you so you dont have to see them."  :lol
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 07:42:40 PM by Madman Shepherd »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2483 on: October 03, 2020, 06:41:40 AM »
I only very recently started following him on twitter, has he always been political?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2484 on: October 03, 2020, 06:49:04 AM »
I only very recently started following him on twitter, has he always been political?

Nah. I think since the election of Trump but definitely it has picked up in the last year.