Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313416 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2345 on: July 08, 2020, 03:40:08 PM »
Thanks to Scotty for the links.  I'll watch later.

Who's that filling in for Myung at the Bay Shore show?    :) :)   I don't think I've ever seen him move that much in a SHOW let alone one song.  :)

Do you have the Live in Tokyo DVD and, if so, have you watched it with the band commentary track?  The band commentary was made sometime in the first half of the 2000s, so you had Jordan commenting on performances that he wasn't part of, and I recall him simply marveling about how much JM was bouncing around.  Three of the four 1992/93 shows I saw were on really small stages, so I don't remember much of anything.  For the fourth show, since I had nothing to compare it to, any significant moving around would not have stood out, but I certainly didn't mistake JM for Juan Croucier.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2346 on: July 08, 2020, 04:23:33 PM »
The first time I saw DT, I had two thoughts.

1. The drummer is amazing
2. The bass player is a madman
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2347 on: July 08, 2020, 04:30:54 PM »

I wonder what my thoughts would have been if I hadn't been listening for a couple years before my first DT show.  I think MP would definitely have stuck out though and likely JP.  I didn't see JM when you did to see him in his energetic youth.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2348 on: July 08, 2020, 04:36:28 PM »
My first thoughts the first time I saw DT (Awaken the World Tour):

1. Who the fock is the bloke on keyboards?
2. Their eys glimmer when they successfully execute intricate passages, they're gonna nerd out about it in the bus later instead of partaking in blow and hookers, they're like us!
3. Mike literally eats the stage lights.
4. James has a face the size of a telly, no wonder it resonates so powerfully.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2349 on: July 08, 2020, 04:59:20 PM »
Can this be found online anywhere?  I'd be quite interested to hear it.
https://youtu.be/YZ3t3_Zrjig?t=790

And here's the performance of Metropolis for the very last time with CD, one month later. They had already kicked him out of the band when Marillion came calling and wanted DT to open for them. So they asked him to come back to perform with them. This performance is from that show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3_fh7E3xdg

I've only watched Metropolis at the Bay Shore so far.  My observations:

1. REALLY weird to see JP singing the first two lines of the "I was told there's a miracle" section.
2. Charlie really struggled on the last couple lines of that same section.
3. REALLY weird to see JM playing a 4-string bass.
4. This would be high on my list of destinations if I had a time machine.

My first DT show was Nov. 12, 1992, and I was well familiar with I&W, so my thoughts included:

1. JP was really cool looking, as was his habit of locking into a stare for several seconds at a time.
2. I was amazed at all the stuff that JM was playing that I had not heard on the album.
3. The songs they played from WDADU (The Ytse Jam and The Killing Hand), which I wasn't yet familiar with, were really cool.  I went out and found WDADU not long afterwards.
4. MP's drum solo was so obviously influenced by Neil Peart that it sounded a bit like a ripoff.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2350 on: July 08, 2020, 11:31:06 PM »

1. REALLY weird to see JP singing the first two lines of the "I was told there's a miracle" section.

Whoa! I never knew he did that. I wonder why.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2351 on: July 09, 2020, 08:36:29 AM »

I wonder what my thoughts would have been if I hadn't been listening for a couple years before my first DT show.  I think MP would definitely have stuck out though and likely JP.  I didn't see JM when you did to see him in his energetic youth.

See, that's me.  I got into the band in 1992, with the release of Images and Words.  But I traveled a lot for work, moved around a lot, and wasn't on the internet all that much, so by hook and by crook,  I didn't get to see them until the tour with Dweezil Zappa and Big Elf (was that Prog Nation?).   

That's actually a big regret of mine, because I grew up in south Connecticut, and spent a TON of time at Toad's Place, a place they played a lot.  It irks me that I didn't see any of those early shows.   Huge fail.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2352 on: July 09, 2020, 09:02:52 AM »
Well, I wasn't that far off.  I discovered them during the Octavarium era but didn't get to see them until the Systematic Chaos tour.  But I know that DT had played so many shows local to me before that which I totally would have loved to have seen if only I had known about them earlier. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2353 on: July 09, 2020, 11:00:32 AM »

My guess is that they were going for some sort of call and response thing, but it would have made more sense to go back and forth, with JP doing the first and third lines and CD doing 2 and 4.

I got into the band in 1992, with the release of Images and Words.  But I traveled a lot for work, moved around a lot, and wasn't on the internet all that much, so by hook and by crook,  I didn't get to see them until the tour with Dweezil Zappa and Big Elf (was that Prog Nation?).   

That's actually a big regret of mine, because I grew up in south Connecticut, and spent a TON of time at Toad's Place, a place they played a lot.  It irks me that I didn't see any of those early shows.   Huge fail.

I'm surprised to read that!  I bought my first computer in June or July 1993, by which time I'd seen DT four times, and as I type this, I'm wondering how I found out about a couple of those shows.  When I bought the computer, I got on *Prodigy and something called The Sierra Network.  The latter was mostly a gaming service, but I ended up acquiring a tape of the 3/4/93 NYC show through someone on *Prodigy.  I subsequently bought the CD through YJ Records, but I think I still have the cassette from 1993.  That early version of A Change of Seasons blew me away.

My huge fail in terms of DT shows was my gap between 12/8/94 and 9/19/04.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2354 on: July 09, 2020, 07:26:42 PM »

My guess is that they were going for some sort of call and response thing, but it would have made more sense to go back and forth, with JP doing the first and third lines and CD doing 2 and 4.

Yeah.

I could also see it being that Charlie was struggling a bit with how wordy it was an how much he was going to have to exert for the "as a child" part so maybe John was like, "What if I do two lines? Does that free up enough of those Dominici lungs?"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2355 on: July 11, 2020, 01:42:08 PM »
Who's that filling in for Myung at the Bay Shore show?    :) :)   I don't think I've ever seen him move that much in a SHOW let alone one song.  :)

I'm assuming that's debris on the stage.  Like a war zone.  Those were the days; I've been to Toad's in New Haven where shows were like that.

Very reminiscent of The Ritz show a month later. Got chills watching Bay Shore.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2356 on: July 11, 2020, 01:48:25 PM »

I had some thoughts too.

I can't believe I'm seeing this band live, I thought they were done.
They're even better live than on the record.
I hope I still have enough energy for Marillion.

Online HOF

« Reply #2357 on: July 11, 2020, 06:11:07 PM »
According to MP’s Facebook post, he’s playing drums on this new track by ... Enuff Z’nuff?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mVxqy6Y3NKg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3zZf3zxyFHLp5jqyuDl2ifENriAWLilrmQliGTTpLO40eH7PWp2KEpWSM

Mike clarified in the comments that Chip Z’Nuff is married to his cousin. Small world!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4401291186555156&id=116713035013014&preview_rid=4401673283183613
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 09:03:21 PM by HOF »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2358 on: July 12, 2020, 12:09:14 AM »
According to MP’s Facebook post, he’s playing drums on this new track by ... Enuff Z’nuff?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mVxqy6Y3NKg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3zZf3zxyFHLp5jqyuDl2ifENriAWLilrmQliGTTpLO40eH7PWp2KEpWSM

Mike clarified in the comments that Chip Z’Nuff is married to his cousin. Small world!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4401291186555156&id=116713035013014&preview_rid=4401673283183613

I saw Alice Cooper at a racetrack outside of Chicago in 2000. The whole thing was a mess. It rained all day, everyone was cold, there wasn't any place to sit or get out of the rain, all they had to eat were hot dogs, and we all thought Alice was going to cancel. Enuff Znuff was opening along with another opening band. The show was delayed and delayed and then they started tearing opening band equipment down and setting up Enuff Znuff stuff. Then it looked like they were tearing down Znuff's equipment. Finally a radio guy comes out and gets people hyped for Alice, saying not to worry, that Alice is coming on no matter what, just a little delay. Finally he says, "but I'm sorry to inform you guys that Enuff Znuff will not be playing tonight" and the crowd erupts in cheers and applause. The guy keeps apologizing but people are ecstatic NOT to be seeing Enuff Znuff.

To this day I've never heard their stuff but I know on that cold fall day, I did not want to hear anything but Alice, who it should be noted came on and played one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Online HOF

« Reply #2359 on: July 12, 2020, 08:10:20 AM »
I only know the song Fly High Michelle, which is fine for what it is. I knew they were still somewhat active but never had any reason to link them to MP before yesterday!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2360 on: July 13, 2020, 07:41:51 AM »
I actually dig Enuff Z'nuff.  Really good songwriters; the problem for them is, why go for a band that sounds like Cheap Trick and the Beatles when you can go for Cheap Trick and the Beatles?   

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2361 on: July 23, 2020, 11:15:51 AM »
That keyboard player in the video has a striking resemblance to JLB at certain angles. I can't un-see it now.
 Great job on the song, MP's daughter sings quite well.  :tup
I just watched it for the first time.  I specifically came here to see if I was crazy or not.  I could've swore someone photoshopped JLB's face over the keyboard players face!  :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2362 on: July 29, 2020, 05:56:58 PM »
Finally got to watch the 4th new vinyl installment. I really like these and the Marillion "discussion" was cool (Especially since Fish mentioned Mike in his latest Fish On Friday.) but he pretty much punted on them after Brave as far as the discussion went.  Maybe he thought he would bore people since it Marillion (I think) was the biggest section so far other than Dream Theater. Seems close.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2363 on: July 30, 2020, 08:50:25 AM »
What did Fish say about Mike?   

Online HOF

« Reply #2364 on: July 30, 2020, 10:50:19 AM »
Finally got to watch the 4th new vinyl installment. I really like these and the Marillion "discussion" was cool (Especially since Fish mentioned Mike in his latest Fish On Friday.) but he pretty much punted on them after Brave as far as the discussion went.  Maybe he thought he would bore people since it Marillion (I think) was the biggest section so far other than Dream Theater. Seems close.

I thought this was really cool too. I think he mostly didn’t want to bore people by going through 15 albums or whatever, but it looks like he has them all or most of the studio albums at least, including the Royal Albert Hall show that he talked about.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2365 on: August 01, 2020, 09:17:25 AM »
What did Fish say about Mike?

Can't recall the exact context now but all he did was say his name in passing which was completely unexpected.  I think it was the July 24 episode. I thought it was cool that he mentioned him. Don't know the extent of the relationship if there is one. I know they've played some of the same festivals and I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of them together.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:25:22 AM by ytserush »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2366 on: August 01, 2020, 09:30:49 AM »

I thought this was really cool too. I think he mostly didn’t want to bore people by going through 15 albums or whatever, but it looks like he has them all or most of the studio albums at least, including the Royal Albert Hall show that he talked about.

Maybe. But the idea of watching these videos is to hear his thoughts/opinion/stories about the albums since he's more qualified than many to be doing it. Maybe I'm just easily amused when he talks about music so while I would never be bored with it, but maybe someone else would.

Online HOF

« Reply #2367 on: August 01, 2020, 11:12:46 AM »

Maybe. But the idea of watching these videos is to hear his thoughts/opinion/stories about the albums since he's more qualified than many to be doing it. Maybe I'm just easily amused when he talks about music so while I would never be bored with it, but maybe someone else would.
[/quote

Oh, I would have watched him go though and give his thoughts track by track. But if you don’t know Marillion I could see it getting full (I tend to skip ahead when he’s talking about bands I don’t care for). Still, it was a nice plug for the band and maybe a few people who don’t know the band didn’t do what a I might have in their situation. :-)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2368 on: August 07, 2020, 09:02:22 PM »

Oh, I would have watched him go though and give his thoughts track by track. But if you don’t know Marillion I could see it getting full (I tend to skip ahead when he’s talking about bands I don’t care for). Still, it was a nice plug for the band and maybe a few people who don’t know the band didn’t do what a I might have in their situation. :-)

I suppose it's easy to skip over things like that but I've always liked the enthusiasm he brings when talking about music and aside from most metal we have similar musical tastes although he tends not to be into much jazz-fusion, jazz or big band. I just love the appreciation he brings to it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2369 on: August 11, 2020, 08:57:38 AM »
Late on the discussion in this thread. Just came across the BPMD album. Totally forgot this thing existed, didn't even realize it came out back in June. I don't like Bobby's voice. But it's kinda fun. *shrug* Don't think I'll ever go back to this, though.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2370 on: August 11, 2020, 11:43:30 AM »
Late on the discussion in this thread. Just came across the BPMD album. Totally forgot this thing existed, didn't even realize it came out back in June. I don't like Bobby's voice. But it's kinda fun. *shrug* Don't think I'll ever go back to this, though.

I listened to it twice and interviewed the bass player in this project. Don't think I'll go back to it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: August 11, 2020, 12:02:16 PM »
I never went the first time.  Heard one song and can't get past the vocals.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2372 on: August 11, 2020, 12:03:38 PM »
I never went the first time.  Heard one song and can't get past the vocals.

Change that to two songs and the same.  Vocals kill it.  If it were original music maybe I'd give it a few more shots, but it's just cover songs and if I can't get past the vocals on a couple tries, it's just not worth the effort. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2373 on: August 11, 2020, 01:22:03 PM »
The vocals were an interesting thought when I first saw the tracklist. I was all "Blitz?....Blitz, is singing these songs."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2376 on: August 15, 2020, 06:28:56 AM »
Just finished it up and it was a great watch like always. It'd be cool if he did more videos on other parts of his collection.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2377 on: August 15, 2020, 07:07:32 AM »
Those videos are fantastic.  :tup

Online Trav86

« Reply #2378 on: August 15, 2020, 07:23:05 AM »
Just finished it up and it was a great watch like always. It'd be cool if he did more videos on other parts of his collection.

I have a feeling he will if the pandemic doesn’t end soon.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2379 on: August 31, 2020, 11:03:09 AM »
Haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ILQlgolBIs

I think this is a really good cover of one of my favorite Ozzy songs.

Our boy Porty on drums and Rudy Sarzo on bass.  Don't know any of the other players, but the singer did a good job, and the guitar player resisted the urge to overplay.  Cool to involve Sarzo who, while not having played on the Blizzard album, did play the song live with Ozzy and Randy.