Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 312704 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2240 on: June 12, 2020, 10:07:10 AM »
I don't know why, but I've got it in my head that he could also be referring to Billy Sheehan.

Which political way do scientologists typically sway?  :lol

I would guess that (1) it depends on the issue, but (2) given the high profile types that gravitate toward it, I would guess the more liberal direction.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2241 on: June 12, 2020, 12:23:51 PM »
I don't know why, but I've got it in my head that he could also be referring to Billy Sheehan.

Which political way do scientologists typically sway?  :lol

Whichever way Tom Cruise directs them.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2242 on: June 12, 2020, 01:53:33 PM »
I really wish Tom Cruise was not such a real life weirdo as he seems like a really nice guy - he's never had a #MeToo kind of scandal ** - his films are generally on the Good to Great side.

** That I know of / recall.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2243 on: June 12, 2020, 01:59:57 PM »
Can we leave the judgment out of it, though?
We're just talking! I just find this amusing as a thought exercise. No one is out trying to figure out who these people are so they could be "cancelled", if we know about it it's public knowledge anyway. I don't think JP is less cool for being vastly more conservative than me, he is who he is and it's not like there's a lack of musicians who are "on my side" in my library anyway.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline HOF

« Reply #2244 on: June 12, 2020, 02:13:39 PM »
So here’s some actual new music MP has contributed to. Not sure if a Facebook link will work, but explanation here:

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/story.php?story_fbid=4267507119933564&id=116713035013014

New song here (haven’t even listened to this yet).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&fbclid=IwAR1hdNGurNn1HvBSXqz6KMTn4WVNwbq85a1OIcvCvtS_Dn2FWB7QRh6uyT8&feature=youtu.be&v=86xpCck2lnU

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2245 on: June 12, 2020, 02:40:01 PM »
Can we leave the judgment out of it, though?
We're just talking! I just find this amusing as a thought exercise. No one is out trying to figure out who these people are so they could be "cancelled", if we know about it it's public knowledge anyway. I don't think JP is less cool for being vastly more conservative than me, he is who he is and it's not like there's a lack of musicians who are "on my side" in my library anyway.
I am also somewhat fascinated by political views of musicians, so if this continues to be a discussion without judgement, I'd like to follow it and read through the posts.

I remember this was the video in which Petrucci commented on Trump after the 2016 election:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVyDJ-LMHeI 7:08

EDIT: I've just now realized that this might be off topic, so if anyone feels like deleting the post or moving it to a different thread, no hard feelings.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #2246 on: June 12, 2020, 04:21:31 PM »
People are always going to be interested in the personal beliefs of those who create art.  As it stands, artists and their views on life are inherently entrenched. Maybe not so much in prog rock, where things generally skew towards the apolitical side of things. But any sort of lyrical statement of any kind is a social statement and carries an inherent bias. If this weren't true no one would ever have any need to express themselves lyrically and there'd be NO stories to tell. This is an unavoidable fact of life. If you want to avoid any sort of reading into the human condition, then you should only make instrumental music.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2247 on: June 12, 2020, 04:55:53 PM »
So here’s some actual new music MP has contributed to. Not sure if a Facebook link will work, but explanation here:

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/story.php?story_fbid=4267507119933564&id=116713035013014

https://m.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&fbclid=IwAR1hdNGurNn1HvBSXqz6KMTn4WVNwbq85a1OIcvCvtS_Dn2FWB7QRh6uyT8&feature=youtu.be&v=86xpCck2lnU

Just watched this. That was a nice little tune and a lot of fun to watch.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2248 on: June 15, 2020, 09:53:21 AM »
Look, I get the fact that music (and all art) is inherently self-expression, and that includes political topics.  This isn't about that.  I'm a HUGE REM fan, and I can remember seeing them in Connecticut five days or so after Bush was reelected and Michael Stipe had a black band of makeup over his eyes (normally it was blue or green if memory serves) and at one point he said something to the effect that "this was the darkest day of his life" (and got booed, by the way).   I LOVE Neal Young, Bruce Springsteen, and John Mellencamp, and they've never been shy about their leanings.  I don't pick my artists based on whether I agree with their politics; in fact, I don't PICK my artists, they pick me (if their music moves me, yay! If it doesn't, let's move on). 

I was commenting more on the reaction to the specific position, specifically words like "horrified", and emojis that are not exactly in keeping with "no judgment".   And of course, I'm not a mod, so it's certainly not a directive.   

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2249 on: June 15, 2020, 01:26:03 PM »
Voices Of Apollo (Jeff Scott Soto, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal & Mike Portnoy) - Nowhere Man

This is always a fun 3 Part harmony song that MP, JSS & Bumblefoot would often sing together on tour.
Being we can't sing together on tour at the moment, we decided to do a fun video collaboration so we can still sing together even while in Quarantine!

Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/SonsOfApollo1/videos/vb.149119852288489/357008058600897/?type=2&theater

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2250 on: June 15, 2020, 01:31:24 PM »
Very classy of Ron Thal to play left-handed bass.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2251 on: June 15, 2020, 01:44:37 PM »
Look, I get the fact that music (and all art) is inherently self-expression, and that includes political topics.  This isn't about that.  I'm a HUGE REM fan, and I can remember seeing them in Connecticut five days or so after Bush was reelected and Michael Stipe had a black band of makeup over his eyes (normally it was blue or green if memory serves) and at one point he said something to the effect that "this was the darkest day of his life" (and got booed, by the way).   I LOVE Neal Young, Bruce Springsteen, and John Mellencamp, and they've never been shy about their leanings.  I don't pick my artists based on whether I agree with their politics; in fact, I don't PICK my artists, they pick me (if their music moves me, yay! If it doesn't, let's move on). 

I was commenting more on the reaction to the specific position, specifically words like "horrified", and emojis that are not exactly in keeping with "no judgment".   And of course, I'm not a mod, so it's certainly not a directive.

Horrified was a little bit of hyperbole on my part but I will say that I do judge anyone who would support that man and it was disappointing to see a hero of mine in his camp.  That being said, I don’t make a decision on what music I like based on who people vote for so that alone will not affect me being a fan. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2252 on: June 15, 2020, 02:21:38 PM »
Very classy of Ron Thal to play left-handed bass.
Actually, that's the mirror image - if you look at the headstock, you can see the Vigier logo is flopped. Still a cool little detail that they included.  :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2253 on: June 15, 2020, 02:30:15 PM »
 :facepalm:

:lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2254 on: June 15, 2020, 02:34:50 PM »
That’s a weird cover in that they sounded good when doing the harmonies, but every time one sang a lead alone, it didn’t sound good. And the lead singer was the worst of the three. :lol

In all fairness, though, most bands wouldn’t come close to matching the majestic lead vocals of McCartney or Lennon.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2255 on: June 17, 2020, 09:07:21 PM »
https://youtu.be/Y8tdES8Txc8?t=86

Confirmation from the man himself that he and JMX spent New Year's Eve together.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2256 on: June 17, 2020, 11:52:56 PM »

Confirmation from the man himself that he and JMX spent New Year's Eve together.

I wonder how many more Cameo videos this Vince guy is going to get from DT members?!  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2257 on: June 18, 2020, 03:47:59 AM »

I wonder how many more Cameo videos this Vince guy is going to get from DT members?!  :lol

-Marc.

Yeah, I think he's done five or six at this point...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2258 on: June 18, 2020, 01:42:51 PM »
Man I am really getting tired of every single person on YouTube using the phrase " in these crazy times "...  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #2259 on: June 18, 2020, 02:52:35 PM »
Man I am really getting tired of every single person on YouTube using the phrase " in these crazy times "...  :biggrin: :biggrin:

In these crazy times we need a lot of tolerance for that!  :lol
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2260 on: June 18, 2020, 11:13:48 PM »

-Marc.

Most, if not all, of these videos have been prompted by one person.

Still, some nice information coming out.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2261 on: June 19, 2020, 07:58:45 AM »

-Marc.

What do you mean here?  Are you referring to Vince himself, or someone else? 

In these crazy times, you have to be extra clear. 

;)  :) 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2262 on: June 19, 2020, 09:24:08 AM »

-Marc.

What do you mean here?  Are you referring to Vince himself, or someone else? 

In these crazy times, you have to be extra clear. 

;)  :)

I checked Vince's YouTube channel, and he has many other videos - Jeff Scott Soto, Bumblefoot, Jordan Rudess...in these crazy AND UNPRECEDENTED times, this is a life-changing piece of information.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2263 on: June 19, 2020, 10:49:01 AM »
He's not an executive at Cameo, is he?  :)

I'd actually like to do that, but I'd feel sort of... stupid.  I have had reasonably informative conversations with artists before - I stood on a sidewalk and had a conversation with Gary Barden for about 10 minutes and it was fascinating - and I can't help that it was part and parcel because there were no phones/videos/pictures (I have a pic with Gary, but at first I demurred and he, well, not "insisted", but encouraged it).  Same with Billy Squier.  Although James, Jordan and Mike all seemed sincere, the fact is, they ALL know that these videos will be on a website in MINUTES, so you're getting "filter".  I don't even have an answering machine message anymore, and even if I did, the associate at Capital One looking for my payment this month isn't going to know who the f- that is... so....   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2264 on: June 19, 2020, 10:49:26 AM »
Hey, sidebar, does Mike have a tongue piercing that we know of?

Offline Lupton

« Reply #2265 on: June 19, 2020, 10:50:36 AM »
"Well the times they are a changin'. The answer (my friend) lies blowin' within from your end."  -probably Dylan or someone

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2266 on: June 19, 2020, 01:36:52 PM »
Although James, Jordan and Mike all seemed sincere, the fact is, they ALL know that these videos will be on a website in MINUTES, so you're getting "filter".
Unless you're someone the band members know personally, you can be sure at this point in time that any conversation you have is going to be filtered, because it will end up getting posted somewhere online, especially if they leak some particularly juicy detail. So what you experienced with Gary Barden, being a complete stranger, is probably a thing of the past with most if not all musicians with some level of stature, in these crazy and unprecedented times.   :biggrin:

Hey, sidebar, does Mike have a tongue piercing that we know of?
Not that I'm aware of, but it's always possible. Still, I dunno if he'd bother to go that far with piercings.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2267 on: June 21, 2020, 01:25:00 PM »
This is EXTREMELY HILARIOUS (at least to me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvHomA2Wl04

:rollin

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2268 on: June 21, 2020, 02:52:56 PM »

Let's hear Mike cover "Dig It" on his next tour, the FULL version of the song! :rollin

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2269 on: June 21, 2020, 04:01:46 PM »

Fun watch and nicely done.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2270 on: June 21, 2020, 04:55:52 PM »
He's not an executive at Cameo, is he?  :)

I'd actually like to do that, but I'd feel sort of... stupid.  I have had reasonably informative conversations with artists before - I stood on a sidewalk and had a conversation with Gary Barden for about 10 minutes and it was fascinating - and I can't help that it was part and parcel because there were no phones/videos/pictures (I have a pic with Gary, but at first I demurred and he, well, not "insisted", but encouraged it).  Same with Billy Squier.  Although James, Jordan and Mike all seemed sincere, the fact is, they ALL know that these videos will be on a website in MINUTES, so you're getting "filter".  I don't even have an answering machine message anymore, and even if I did, the associate at Capital One looking for my payment this month isn't going to know who the f- that is... so....

May have said this before, but I wouldn't pay to do something like this. It's much more fun for me to do it after a show if I feel like hanging around.

I've been watching Fish on Friday every week and that's free but there are thousands of people; many with questions and it's not certain that Fish will even see any given question let alone answer it, but I have a lot of fun watching anyway and if I really did want to ask hm something I suppose I could email it, but I'm just content to hear the man speak.  Wouldn't surprise me if Mike thought about doing this in the future since he's given up doing interviews. Again, I wouldn't pay for something like that, but it would be cool to tune in and hear him talk about music or films or whatever.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2271 on: June 21, 2020, 05:07:37 PM »

I've done this the first time I saw Wallace and Grommit's The Wrong Trousers and Hot Fuzz. (But those were  genuinely funny and not absurd like in this case.) but I've totally been there before on the floor like that and unable to breath and tearing up because it's just so funny.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2272 on: June 21, 2020, 06:21:02 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Thats the funniest thing to have been unearthed onto the world.

Somebody please put it over this:

https://youtu.be/ML11w9yYwpA
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2273 on: June 22, 2020, 02:58:35 AM »
He literally ROFL'd.  :rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2274 on: June 22, 2020, 07:40:10 AM »
I've been watching the "documentaries" included on the various Neal Morse CD's lately - T2:Live, Momentum, The Grand Experiment - and I've come away with a new appreciation for both Mike and Neal.   I think some of the criticisms about Mike (he doesn't care about drumming, he doesn't practice, he doesn't do anything new) are unfair.  I get that we're watching (largely) what Neal and Randy want us to see, but Mike seemed really engaged, really involved, and really interested in making his imprint on the music.  And while I don't know the first thing about drumming, I think some of the stuff he puts in there is really special.

I've certainly come away with a new appreciation for him (though, ironically, it's soured me even further on some of the other stuff he works on: SoA, and the "metal stuff").