Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313867 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2205 on: June 09, 2020, 07:22:26 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOzgIs9pT1A&feature=youtu.be

surprised nobody has commented on this. Mike is getting political. I don't necessarily like the song as Im not a john lennon fan, but I saw in the comments somebody recommended speeding it up to 1.75x speed to make it sound more punk. I tried that and it wasn't good. So I sped it up to 1.25 and I actually kind of dug it.

Didn't know about this. I enjoyed it. Nice to see him getting some work in on the other instruments.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2206 on: June 09, 2020, 07:33:49 PM »
Everyone else sees this coming, right?

It's only a matter of time before he does some tour as the frontman with his kid on drums.

Under the right circumstances it  (being in the same project) will happen. May not last long but he'll have a blast doing it.

Still like the idea of a drum battle for charity between the sons of Labrie and Portnoy, but I'm fairly confident I'd be the only one with any interest in it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2207 on: June 09, 2020, 07:40:57 PM »

Online faizoff

« Reply #2208 on: June 09, 2020, 11:07:15 PM »
MP added this comment on that video...

To be honest, I’m pleasantly surprised to see the comments here are being much more civil than I feared...Thank you 🙏 ✌️👊

For the record just so I don’t have to respond to individual comments, here’s a few things I’ve posed elsewhere on this subject:

I’m tired of not being able to say how much I despise Trump out of fear of “losing fans”...at this point, silence is complicity and enough is enough...

For me, It’s not about right or left...red or blue...Republican or Democrat...it’s about being a decent human being that respects others and uses kindness as a tool to unite...
I have no respect whatsoever for this man...it has nothing to do with his political affiliation...it has to do with his despicable characteristics that I absolutely despise.
And I would’ve said the same exact thing if Obama or Clinton or Kennedy acted this way.

For that matter, I also have some friends, family and band members that support him...so let’s just agree to disagree

I appreciate that you follow me on social media and I respect that you have your opinion...but please respect that I have my own as well. We don’t have to have the same opinions & agree, but there’s certainly no need to fight and be mean about it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2209 on: June 09, 2020, 11:11:57 PM »
Disregard my post.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2210 on: June 09, 2020, 11:17:10 PM »

To be honest, I’m pleasantly surprised to see the comments here are being much more civil than I feared...Thank you 🙏 ✌️👊

For the record just so I don’t have to respond to individual comments, here’s a few things I’ve posed elsewhere on this subject:

I’m tired of not being able to say how much I despise Trump out of fear of “losing fans”...at this point, silence is complicity and enough is enough...

For me, It’s not about right or left...red or blue...Republican or Democrat...it’s about being a decent human being that respects others and uses kindness as a tool to unite...
I have no respect whatsoever for this man...it has nothing to do with his political affiliation...it has to do with his despicable characteristics that I absolutely despise.
And I would’ve said the same exact thing if Obama or Clinton or Kennedy acted this way.

For that matter, I also have some friends, family and band members that support him...so let’s just agree to disagree

I appreciate that you follow me on social media and I respect that you have your opinion...but please respect that I have my own as well. We don’t have to have the same opinions & agree, but there’s certainly no need to fight and be mean about it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

All that is why I didn't bother to bring it up here. 

You're following him. If you don't like it, you don't have to follow his social media. Its really that simple.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2211 on: June 10, 2020, 06:09:54 PM »

Thanks for posting that.

Offline tuto

« Reply #2212 on: June 10, 2020, 06:16:48 PM »

Here is a tweet where he talked about listening to Boston’s debut album a few years ago:

https://twitter.com/mikeportnoy/status/800440970118594560?s=21

:tup :tup

surprised nobody has commented on this. Mike is getting political. I don't necessarily like the song as Im not a john lennon fan, but I saw in the comments somebody recommended speeding it up to 1.75x speed to make it sound more punk. I tried that and it wasn't good. So I sped it up to 1.25 and I actually kind of dug it.

To be honest, it surprises me that he would do this given that he is in 828 bands and it could fracture relationships within them and/or drive some fans away, and those bands aren't exactly filling up arenas, but I can't blame anyone right now for feeling that way about a certain someone (who shall remain nameless since this isn't P/R).

Which ones of all of his bandmates would (hypothetically) be upset about this?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2213 on: June 10, 2020, 06:23:07 PM »
Part two is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6q6y_aaug

I could listen to him talk about music for hours. The Dream Theater section was my favorite this time.  He was worried about going on too long, but I always welcome when he goes off like this.  I hope he continues after he's done with the new vinyl.

Have to say I'm comforted when he says that he has trouble remembering details. He doesn't seem too bothered about it, but it always bothers the crap out of me when I forget details that I once knew for most of my life. Didn't know Enchant's first album was released on wax.  The might be one album I need to have on vinyl

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2214 on: June 10, 2020, 06:25:18 PM »

No idea, but to explain what I meant a little better, it is possible that if one of his bands sees a slight downtick in ticket sales post-COVID, a band member, even one who agrees with his political take, might wonder if some fans jumped ship because Portnoy basically said FU Donald Trump.  Let's face it, we have seen enough silliness in the last few years to where some fans will boycott a TV show, sport  or band or whatever if they see an artist, athlete or celebrity take a political stance that is the complete opposite of theirs.  It happens.  Maybe it'll only be a small percentage, but it could be enough to break bands who are needing that little extra nudge to keep going.

Ultimately, as long as Neal Morse Band, Flying Colors and Transatlantic are all good and keep going, I am good. :hat :hat

Offline tuto

« Reply #2215 on: June 10, 2020, 07:55:27 PM »

No idea, but to explain what I meant a little better, it is possible that if one of his bands sees a slight downtick in ticket sales post-COVID, a band member, even one who agrees with his political take, might wonder if some fans jumped ship because Portnoy basically said FU Donald Trump.  Let's face it, we have seen enough silliness in the last few years to where some fans will boycott a TV show, sport  or band or whatever if they see an artist, athlete or celebrity take a political stance that is the complete opposite of theirs.  It happens.  Maybe it'll only be a small percentage, but it could be enough to break bands who are needing that little extra nudge to keep going.

Ultimately, as long as Neal Morse Band, Flying Colors and Transatlantic are all good and keep going, I am good. :hat :hat

Got you. Yeah, it makes sense. Also, the Neal Morse Band is becoming my all-time favorite prog band 😎 hope they keep going for years and years to come!

Offline 425

« Reply #2216 on: June 10, 2020, 08:18:13 PM »

With TA, at least, I can't imagine it being an issue, seeing as Roine has long been at least as openly political and in more or less the same direction. I could imagine NMB having a higher proportion of conservative fans than most prog artists due to Neal's religious message, so if there was to be an issue of some kind from this, I'd guess that's where it'd be.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2217 on: June 10, 2020, 09:05:47 PM »

Here is a tweet where he talked about listening to Boston’s debut album a few years ago:

https://twitter.com/mikeportnoy/status/800440970118594560?s=21

:tup :tup

To be honest, it surprises me that he would do this given that he is in 828 bands and it could fracture relationships within them and/or drive some fans away, and those bands aren't exactly filling up arenas, but I can't blame anyone right now for feeling that way about a certain someone (who shall remain nameless since this isn't P/R).

I know one.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2218 on: June 10, 2020, 09:07:08 PM »

I know one.

do tell :corn
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2219 on: June 10, 2020, 09:26:49 PM »

With TA, at least, I can't imagine it being an issue, seeing as Roine has long been at least as openly political and in more or less the same direction. I could imagine NMB having a higher proportion of conservative fans than most prog artists due to Neal's religious message, so if there was to be an issue of some kind from this, I'd guess that's where it'd be.

Nah, I think most NMB fans are so addicted to Neal and his music that they wouldn't care.  (and I mean that in a good way)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2220 on: June 10, 2020, 09:33:47 PM »
Part two is up.

I could listen to him talk about music for hours. The Dream Theater section was my favorite this time.  He was worried about going on too long, but I always welcome when he goes off like this.  I hope he continues after he's done with the new vinyl.

Have to say I'm comforted when he says that he has trouble remembering details. He doesn't seem too bothered about it, but it always bothers the crap out of me when I forget details that I once knew for most of my life. Didn't know Enchant's first album was released on wax.  The might be one album I need to have on vinyl

I saw this earlier. Good stuff, and it was cool to hear his thoughts on the DT albums over the years.  I also thought it was nice to see him refer to JLB by name when he mentioned how I&W was the first DT album with him and did it with no snark or anything.  He seems pretty at peace with his time in DT and where he is now in life with it.  That is good to see.  :coolio :coolio

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2221 on: June 10, 2020, 10:36:25 PM »
Part two is up.

I saw this earlier. Good stuff, and it was cool to hear his thoughts on the DT albums over the years.  I also thought it was nice to see him refer to JLB by name when he mentioned how I&W was the first DT album with him and did it with no snark or anything.  He seems pretty at peace with his time in DT and where he is now in life with it.  That is good to see.  :coolio :coolio

I like how he always defends the original cover for WDADU (the one with the album title on it) vs the one that ended up being on the CD. The vinyl one looks much better to me as well and that's the one I have as the cover for the album on my iTunes library/iPhone.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2222 on: June 11, 2020, 03:16:48 AM »

I know one.

Yeah  :biggrin: What he said is so tame and couched in so many disclaimers, I really don't know anyone who's worked with Mike and who's so deep in that side of politics that personal criticism of the man (not political, or criticism of those who support him) would hurt them deeply.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2223 on: June 11, 2020, 06:40:54 AM »
Loved his enthusiasm. He came across as very likable.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2224 on: June 11, 2020, 07:30:29 AM »
I haven't had time to look the whole second episode, but: very interesting videos! I love how he's just a huge fanboy of so many things.

I'm quite surprised that he has nothing by Big Big Train in his collection. He has mentioned them and I'm very sure he knows their music.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2225 on: June 11, 2020, 08:04:25 AM »
Just watched these last night. Seeing him speak as a huge fan of music is always awesome, and his knowledge is incredible. He also seems to speak about his time in Dream Theater with a lot more peace than he did in the past.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2226 on: June 11, 2020, 08:31:54 AM »
Just watched these last night. Seeing him speak as a huge fan of music is always awesome, and his knowledge is incredible. He also seems to speak about his time in Dream Theater with a lot more peace than he did in the past.

@TheCountOfNYC
Your avatar is great! Used to play that game till death.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2227 on: June 11, 2020, 02:35:00 PM »

I know one.

Isn’t Petrucci a bit of a Trump guy? Not a current band mate obviously but a possible one if, as suggested, LTE is only a matter of time.

Edit only a matter of time wasn’t deliberate!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2228 on: June 11, 2020, 03:50:49 PM »

I know one.

Isn’t Petrucci a bit of a Trump guy? Not a current band mate obviously but a possible one if, as suggested, LTE is only a matter of time.

Edit only a matter of time wasn’t deliberate!

I think Petrucci stated something on social media being slightly supporting of Trump, but not really saying he's a full on Trump guy.  This was some time ago. 

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2229 on: June 11, 2020, 04:10:31 PM »
Yeah, I think it was shortly after Trump became president and Petrucci said that he liked him and hoped people would give him a chance, something like that.  I was pretty horrified at the time but I got over it!

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2230 on: June 11, 2020, 04:15:43 PM »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2231 on: June 11, 2020, 06:50:50 PM »
Based on stuff they’ve said, and who they follow on Twitter, Petrucci and Mangini are both Trump guys. Especially Mangini.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online faizoff

« Reply #2232 on: June 11, 2020, 07:09:27 PM »
Love those Vinyl videos posted by MP, his music knowledge is always so fascinating to listen and watch. I would totally follow any videos or podcasts he makes along these lines, back in the ToT days, I would obsessively listen to any interview he or soundbites of his. His summit with Eddit Trunk and Chris Jericho is still my favorite interview. Such a fun 3 hours (I think?) show that was.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2233 on: June 11, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »
I had heard that JP retracted his comments about Trump, but I assumed that that was true without checking, so maybe I'm wrong. :-\

To be fair, his comments seemed more along the lines of "this is a new opportunity, let's see what happens", so I could imagine him changing his mind in the years since.

I don't know the extent of MM's support though.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2234 on: June 11, 2020, 08:09:56 PM »
mike portnoy to replace mangini in dream theater due to his views on the president

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2235 on: June 12, 2020, 05:18:39 AM »
I had heard that JP retracted his comments about Trump, but I assumed that that was true without checking, so maybe I'm wrong. :-\

To be fair, his comments seemed more along the lines of "this is a new opportunity, let's see what happens", so I could imagine him changing his mind in the years since.
Yeah, he said something along the lines of "idk why people are reacting to Trump being elected in such a way, isn't the guy a successful businessman?", and I thought, well, I knew JP has been living under a rock practicing guitar for the past 25 years, nice to see it confirmed in this way :lol we know he's conservative politically and religious, and not to wade into P/R too much, but the only true Trump supporters who are like that are actual evangelicals, so he's probably not it.

As for MM, he seems like the kind of guy who will follow EVERYTHING on twitter just to "stay informed".

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2236 on: June 12, 2020, 07:53:52 AM »
Can we leave the judgment out of it, though?  They are or they aren't; that's up to them, and they're entitled to their political opinions.   As are we, but there's a space for that elsewhere here.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2237 on: June 12, 2020, 09:17:39 AM »
I don't know why, but I've got it in my head that he could also be referring to Billy Sheehan.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2238 on: June 12, 2020, 09:28:31 AM »
I don't know why, but I've got it in my head that he could also be referring to Billy Sheehan.

Which political way do scientologists typically sway?  :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2239 on: June 12, 2020, 09:32:00 AM »

Which political way do scientologists typically sway?  :lol

Not him (that I know of), but you're getting close.