Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313316 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2030 on: May 22, 2020, 02:34:17 PM »
Again, false dichotomy.

If someone plays a blast beat over pop music, it likely will sound like crap. Not cause blast beats or bad or cause it’s not pushing new grounds, but because it just didn’t fit. That’s how I felt about this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline HOF

« Reply #2031 on: May 22, 2020, 02:36:45 PM »
Eh, that’s fine. I admit it’s a little busy for what’s more of a laid back jazzy song. Not really Mike’s strong suit. But if they want to make it not a laid back jazzy song, that could work too. Might need to hear the whole thing to really say.

Online Adami

« Reply #2032 on: May 22, 2020, 02:37:31 PM »
Eh, that’s fine. I admit it’s a little busy for what’s more of a laid back jazzy song. Not really Mike’s strong suit. But if they want to make it not a laid back jazzy song, that could work too. Might need to hear the whole thing to really say.

Also a fair point. Context can often change things.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2033 on: May 23, 2020, 07:39:39 AM »
Huh.  I went on iTunes and I can hear the entire song.  Hmm.  I'm not sure I like it, but it makes a LOT more sense in the big picture.  He does not play that the entire song, so there's contrast.  Neal oversings it a bit - one of the charms for me is the languid way that Gerry Rafferty sings it - but this isn't as bad as the snippet suggests.   

EDIT:  Oh, and if Mike's drums are out of context, wait until you hear the guitar solo........... :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:50:38 AM by Stadler »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2034 on: May 23, 2020, 08:41:28 AM »
To be fair, Baker Street is one of those songs that is so unique and distinctive that it is hard to image anyone doing it justice by covering it. The sax, the sound of Rafferty's voice, that guitar tone, the production, the mix...it is all just perfect on the original, and there is just no way for anyone else to get all of those ingredients just right to come close to matching it, IMO.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2035 on: May 23, 2020, 01:11:01 PM »
Yet another MP cover song, George Harrison’s “I Got My Mind Set On You.” Not sure who these people are (from the band Firewind?).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Y68_d-25DDE

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2036 on: May 23, 2020, 05:33:53 PM »
Don’t forget PSMS or whatever it was called.

That's been a favorite of mine, but I doubt that will ever happen again.

Online Adami

« Reply #2037 on: May 23, 2020, 05:36:42 PM »
Yet another MP cover song, George Harrison’s “I Got My Mind Set On You.” Not sure who these people are (from the band Firewind?).

That was cool. Short and fun. Like it. Didn’t know that girl also sang.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2038 on: May 23, 2020, 05:40:27 PM »
Yeah, Free is amazing all the way through. I guess the first couple of rock-ier tracks are a littler weaker? But even they're really good.

Fire Make Thunder is really good as well, although I think there was an instrumental on there that didn't do much for me? I haven't listened to much off that one other than Invisible Men in a while.

I'm good with all of it myself although it's been a while since I've indulged in any of it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2039 on: May 23, 2020, 05:44:31 PM »
Not sure who these people are (from the band Firewind?).
Gus G is from Firewind. Gus G is great, Firewind is great.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Adami

« Reply #2040 on: May 23, 2020, 05:46:17 PM »
The girl is the guitarist for Evanescence.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2041 on: May 23, 2020, 05:54:25 PM »
Oh no.  That's one of my favorite songs of all time, and I remember getting the Foo Fighters version and being all excited until I heard they butchered it.   I'm on a call now so can't listen but I've got a bad feeling about this.

Don't mind the Foo Fighters version myself, although it's no match for the original.

I guess I'll find out in July if I like what was done,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2042 on: May 23, 2020, 09:39:23 PM »

I'll take "Songs I Never Thought Mike Portnoy Would Cover For $500, Alex"!!

Fun little jam.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2043 on: May 25, 2020, 08:12:19 AM »
Baker Street video up on YouTube now. You could probably say it lacks any of the subtlety of the original, but I enjoyed it done as a Neal Morse tune way more than I expected.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR3lz_nOv0qPYgehmAwMe3hKfLhLEVDMZQJbVPIAviDQPegX83zBY1EP3cE&v=IszlXuQ99Fo&feature=youtu.be

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2044 on: May 25, 2020, 08:21:05 AM »
It's not bad.

There's a reason why I like the original. It's somber and laid back, this one wasn't as much.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2045 on: May 25, 2020, 03:49:57 PM »
Cover is awesome really cool!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2046 on: May 25, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »
I hate to say it, but Neal's vocals are awful in this song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2047 on: May 27, 2020, 09:32:40 AM »
Unrelated to the present thread of discussion, but definitely thread-related:  I am for the first time checking out Mike's Amazing Journey DVD this morning.  I am not a big Who fan, and I have not been a total completeist regarding all of DT's side projects through the years.  But I picked up a used copy of this awhile back from someone on this forum who was cleaning house (I forget who at the moment), and just remembered it today when I was looking for something to put on in the background while working.  Question for those in the know about this:  Is there a fifth musician who thus far (3 songs in) isn't shown?  I obviously know about Portnoy/Cherone/Gilbert/Sheehan.  But during the intro of Baba O'Riley, there is clearly guitar, but Paul isn't playing (he is banging a tamborine).  And there are prominent keyboards on that track and others.  Did they have someone else off camera?  Or are they using a backing tape?  What's the scoop?

EDIT:  And on another note, what a cool lineup.  It's really a shame they haven't done anything else together through the years.  I would LOVE to see some other collaborations between these four.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline HOF

« Reply #2048 on: May 27, 2020, 09:42:37 AM »
Unrelated to the present thread of discussion, but definitely thread-related:  I am for the first time checking out Mike's Amazing Journey DVD this morning.  I am not a big Who fan, and I have not been a total completeist regarding all of DT's side projects through the years.  But I picked up a used copy of this awhile back from someone on this forum who was cleaning house (I forget who at the moment), and just remembered it today when I was looking for something to put on in the background while working.  Question for those in the know about this:  Is there a fifth musician who thus far (3 songs in) isn't shown?  I obviously know about Portnoy/Cherone/Gilbert/Sheehan.  But during the intro of Baba O'Riley, there is clearly guitar, but Paul isn't playing (he is banging a tamborine).  And there are prominent keyboards on that track and others.  Did they have someone else off camera?  Or are they using a backing tape?  What's the scoop?

EDIT:  And on another note, what a cool lineup.  It's really a shame they haven't done anything else together through the years.  I would LOVE to see some other collaborations between these four.

No idea about the extra guitar. I’m not a Who fan either so I’ve never really checked this out, but I would listen to a band with these four guys doing all original music.

Online Adami

« Reply #2049 on: May 27, 2020, 09:43:38 AM »
Watching the Baba O'Riley thing now.

Dunno where the keys are coming from, sounds pretaped. But there's no guitar at the beginning, that's just bass.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2050 on: May 27, 2020, 09:56:53 AM »
Amazing Journey got me into The Who. I saw them in Palatine, IL. It was a fantastic show.

There was no fifth member at mine. I believe anything extra you hear is backing tracks.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2051 on: May 27, 2020, 10:00:27 AM »
Come to think of it, there are a LOT of projects I think Gary Cherone would be ideal for.  And yet, he hasn't really done much through the years.  I wonder if he is difficult to work with or something.  Just speculating.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2052 on: May 27, 2020, 10:11:35 AM »
Come to think of it, there are a LOT of projects I think Gary Cherone would be ideal for.  And yet, he hasn't really done much through the years.  I wonder if he is difficult to work with or something.  Just speculating.

Years ago there was a show on VH1 (i think) where they'd go around and reunite bands for 'one more' performance. I remember Flock of Seagulls did it....and there were a few others. They tried to get Extreme to do it and most of them were up for it but Cherone wanted nothing to do with it. when they tracked him down he was overseeing a residential house being built. I think the dude was just 'over' the whole thing....I remember reading somewhere where it was said he resented the fact that Extreme was only known for that 'more than words' ballad and not being the 'rock' band they were.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline HOF

« Reply #2053 on: May 27, 2020, 10:17:54 AM »

He’s maybe done more than you think. He went from Extreme to VH, then briefly had a band called Tribe of Judah and has a band with his brother called Hurtsmile. Extreme still tours occasionally. He also did a couple stints in a production of Jesus Christ Superstar.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2054 on: May 27, 2020, 10:33:27 AM »

He’s maybe done more than you think. He went from Extreme to VH, then briefly had a band called Tribe of Judah and has a band with his brother called Hurtsmile. Extreme still tours occasionally. He also did a couple stints in a production of Jesus Christ Superstar.
and I personally like VHIII quite a bit actually. Tribe Of Judah was nice as well IMHO (and it features Mike Mangini btw)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline HOF

« Reply #2055 on: May 27, 2020, 10:39:36 AM »

and I personally like VHIII quite a bit actually. Tribe Of Judah was nice as well IMHO (and it features Mike Mangini btw)

VHIII is great. That and Balance are easily my favorite VH albums and the only ones I still listen to very much.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2056 on: May 27, 2020, 01:37:22 PM »

I just pulled out my DVD copy of Amazing Journey. I'm guessing the used copy you got did not include the insert, because it lists the line-up on the back. Below the main four members credits, it lists the following:

Special Thanks to our "Rabbit":
Jeff Calder - Keyboards and Samples

IIRC, I think Mike had a hidden fifth member backstage at all of his 4 tribute shows - Cygnus & The Sea Monsters, Yellow Matter Custard, Hammer Of The Gods, and Amazing Journey. Since all of those bands covered required some sort of extra keys or samples, he always had another player hidden off-stage to compliment the other four on-stage. At least, this is how I recall it with the first YMC and Cygnus shows. I'm pretty sure the HOTG shows had a fifth member too.

Edit - Just looked it up, Bert Baldwin helped Mike with the Cygnus and YMC shows. I'm still not sure about the HOTG shows, though, because I know they had keyboards for some of the songs, but I don't recall any on-stage keyboard playing (but it has been MANY years since I've watched it).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 01:47:50 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2057 on: May 27, 2020, 01:58:55 PM »

VHIII is great. That and Balance are easily my favorite VH albums and the only ones I still listen to very much.

I bought VH III and Balance upon release, just as I did every VH album since 5150. I love Balance, and still think it's unfairly criticized, just because it has 0.01% more ballads than usual for a Van Hagar album. VH III on the other hand, is absolutely unredeemable to my ears. I tried MANY times through the years to go back to it and see if it has aged well, and sadly I don't think that's the case. The song where Eddie sings is cringeworthy, and the overall lack of direction is palpable. Plus, Gary was noticeably not singing like he wanted to, he was basically being told to sing like Sammy. Mitch Malloy auditioned for the band and made a few demos at the time, and would have been a MUCH better fit IMO.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2058 on: May 27, 2020, 02:11:20 PM »
I just pulled out my DVD copy of Amazing Journey. I'm guessing the used copy you got did not include the insert, because it lists the line-up on the back. Below the main four members credits, it lists the following:

Special Thanks to our "Rabbit":
Jeff Calder - Keyboards and Samples

IIRC, I think Mike had a hidden fifth member backstage at all of his 4 tribute shows

That makes sense.  Thanks, Marc!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2059 on: May 27, 2020, 02:37:06 PM »
Years ago there was a show on VH1 (i think) where they'd go around and reunite bands for 'one more' performance. I remember Flock of Seagulls did it....and there were a few others. They tried to get Extreme to do it and most of them were up for it but Cherone wanted nothing to do with it. when they tracked him down he was overseeing a residential house being built. I think the dude was just 'over' the whole thing....I remember reading somewhere where it was said he resented the fact that Extreme was only known for that 'more than words' ballad and not being the 'rock' band they were.
Been a long time since I saw that show with Extreme, so my memory might be a bit off, but I thought Gary was kinda "meh" on the idea, but not totally against it. IIRC, Nuno was the one who was completely against it and refused to even appear on camera. And I think the mentality was that if it was going to happen, it would happen organically, not because some outside force, like a TV show, was pushing them in that direction.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2060 on: May 27, 2020, 02:44:34 PM »
Been a long time since I saw that show with Extreme, so my memory might be a bit off, but I thought Gary was kinda "meh" on the idea, but not totally against it. IIRC, Nuno was the one who was completely against it and refused to even appear on camera. And I think the mentality was that if it was going to happen, it would happen organically, not because some outside force, like a TV show, was pushing them in that direction.

And then they later did reunite anyway, which kind of supports your take on it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2061 on: May 27, 2020, 06:20:54 PM »
I saw them on the Pornograffiti Anniversary tour, and while they started late (and Nuno was salty about it; he mentioned it during the show, implying it was not the band but the arena), they killed it. They were really good. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2062 on: May 31, 2020, 10:46:13 AM »
Jordan Rudess: "Well, the answer is we are looking at our schedules, we are organizing a time. With the [coronavirus] pandemic, it's been a little difficult to coordinate personal kind of gatherings, but it looks very good, my friend."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kxKcSBoqX4&feature=emb_title
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2063 on: May 31, 2020, 10:47:33 AM »
Damnit, I was gonna post that :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2064 on: May 31, 2020, 10:52:58 AM »
Sry for the Ninja move!  :biggrin:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls