Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 312679 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2011, 04:37:27 AM »
More proof he hates LaBrie :P

Online The Letter M

« Reply #176 on: June 30, 2016, 01:59:25 PM »
This was the first thread dedicated to MP that I could find. If there's a newer one, sorry that I missed it.

Anyways, it looks like Mike will be performing the entirety of DT's 12 Step Suite on his Birthday Bash for Cruise To The Edge next year!!! The performers will remain a mystery until show time, so if you want to find out, you've got to be there!!! Or wait until the show starts and people start posting it on the internet.

I'm sure he'll be filming it for an eventual CD/DVD/BD release in the future, if not the whole Cruise, selections from it, or just the 12 Step Suite. Either way, I'd buy a CD/BD pack of just the suite!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #177 on: June 30, 2016, 02:07:41 PM »
I'm still on the fence about doing Cruise to the Edge next year, but that does sound pretty cool. I wonder who he'll be playing with.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #178 on: June 30, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »
Yea, just seen this on Facebook. That's awesome but kind of bitter sweet as (he says himself) he can't play this thing live for the first time with the rest of Dream Theater  :tdwn

I wonder who will perform it live with him?? You think there is any chance that even ONE of the DT guys may perform it alongside him? I don't even know, is he even on speaking terms with any of them?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2016, 02:11:47 PM »
This was the first thread dedicated to MP that I could find. If there's a newer one, sorry that I missed it.

Anyways, it looks like Mike will be performing the entirety of DT's 12 Step Suite on his Birthday Bash for Cruise To The Edge next year!!! The performers will remain a mystery until show time, so if you want to find out, you've got to be there!!! Or wait until the show starts and people start posting it on the internet.

I'm sure he'll be filming it for an eventual CD/DVD/BD release in the future, if not the whole Cruise, selections from it, or just the 12 Step Suite. Either way, I'd buy a CD/BD pack of just the suite!

-Marc.

Eh, unless he is doing it with the other DT guys, I have zero interest in what would essentially be MP and a cover band playing those songs...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2016, 02:13:31 PM »
Can't imagine the suite without JLB to be honest, and I'm pretty sure he won't be coming with. He'll probably invite Neal Morse or someone like that, so no thanks :tup
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2016, 02:14:52 PM »
Pretty cool.  I would definitely buy that.  I wonder if he knows at this point who the musicians will be, or if it is just the decision to play it, and he will get the pieces put in place going forward.  I would think it is the latter, but who knows?  It will be interesting to see whether he has one "band" playing it all the way through, or if different musicians will sub in and out for different parts.  Either way, this should be pretty cool.  Glad he found a suitable setting to perform this.  And also cool that he is letting people know ahead of time that he is doing it so people will be prepared going in for a monster, over-an-hour-long suite as opposed to being hit with it unexpectedly. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2016, 02:17:36 PM »
Funny moment. I just saw this thread in the "Last post" box on the homepage, as "The Mike Portnoy App..." I thought he'd released an app for a moment.  :lol :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #183 on: June 30, 2016, 02:21:40 PM »
I wonder who will perform it live with him?? You think there is any chance that even ONE of the DT guys may perform it alongside him? I don't even know, is he even on speaking terms with any of them?

If schedule permits, I would not be overly surprised if one of the guys showed up and played part or all of it.  More than one would really surprise me.  I guess the biggest obstacle I see is it being a cruise.  It is hard for me to picture the DT guys wanting to go on the entire cruise and being there on the ship the entire time.  But really, who knows?  I wouldn't say anything is off the table.

The biggest downside from doing that would be all the inevitable resulting social media posts from clueless knuckleheads saying that DT is surely going to dump MM so MP can rejoin. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2016, 03:12:02 PM »
I think there will be multiple vocalist depending on what suits them.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #185 on: June 30, 2016, 03:26:38 PM »
I think there will be multiple vocalist depending on what suits them.

I agree. Might be cool.

Also, this is a cruise. Unless one of the DT guys is on the entire cruise, they're not making a cameo.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2016, 03:26:47 PM »
I knew Portnoy would play it eventually, but I always hoped it would be in context of a one off reunion show with DT. The fact that it's a cruise and not a normal concert makes it a bit more unlikely, but I'm still holding out hope for at least one of the guys to show up.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #187 on: June 30, 2016, 03:33:38 PM »
MP, please perform it with PSMS + Russel Allen ! That would be awesome! :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2016, 03:35:54 PM »
Yea, just seen this on Facebook. That's awesome but kind of bitter sweet as (he says himself) he can't play this thing live for the first time with the rest of Dream Theater  :tdwn

No pity from me. He did it to himself.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2016, 06:51:19 PM »
Is the Suite something that perhaps 5% of the fan base are interested in hearing?  Other than TRoAEvil, I personally find it all at the bottom 5% of their catalogue.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #190 on: June 30, 2016, 07:01:25 PM »
Okay, but you are in a small minority.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #191 on: June 30, 2016, 07:13:14 PM »
Okay, but you are in a small minority.

I think so too. A lot of fans were amped up with the possibility of Dream Theater playing the whole suite after it was revealed that it was finished with the release of BC&SL. Unfortunately, no full world tour happened after the album came out, and in fact, they only ever played 4 songs from the album (oddly enough, the two they DIDN'T play, "The Shattered Fortress" and "The Best Of Times", were songs that Mike wrote the lyrics for), so Mike's hopes to perform the whole suite never happened...because he quit.

Yeah, I'll agree that he definitely did it to himself, but I'm glad that enough time has passed that he's willing to perform the suite for fans on his birthday bash next year. It'll be a real treat, and because anyone going on the cruise for him are already die-hard fans of his, they're going to want to see this performance. I know if I had the means to do so, I'd be on that boat in February and be head-banging and fist-pumping with the rest of them during that whole hour-long suite.

It'd be something if he managed to get some of the guests that did vocal spots at the end of "Repentance" to come out and say their regret, and perhaps even play with Mike during the song/suite. With as many musical friends as Mike has, he could get almost anyone to play and sing these songs and they'd sound great. I'm sure Neal and Pete will be on the boat (as Roine has said he won't be able to attend), so expect some TA material, but I'm sure one or both of them might play with Mike on the suite (Neal I can see, not so much Pete).

Looking at the line-up of bands, he'll have plenty of prog rock and prog metal vocalists and instrumentalists to pull from, between the Neal Morse Band and Spock's Beard, The Fringe, Pain Of Salvation, and Haken. Between even just THEM, he could put together a rotating line-up to performance the suite's five songs.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2016, 07:16:09 PM »
haha seriously? I have zero interest in hearing this without JR and JP, I can't imagine why anyone would!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #193 on: June 30, 2016, 07:30:41 PM »
One thing about this is that I can't imagine many members of these bands playing some of the heavier parts of this suite. Can you imagine Neal Morse playing The Glass Prison?  :lol I mean, I'm sure he (and others) are capable of it, but in a lot of ways the 12 Step Suite really showcases the Metal side more than the Prog side of DT, so it's an odd venue to be doing this. Not that  I'm complaining or think it can't be done, just an observation. It really does seem like there's room for DT to be involved with this though.

As for whether there's enough interest in this, I don't see why not. It's something that could very well only happen once and I think anyone who is invested in MP's career enough to want to go see him perform on a cruise is probably interested in it. Anyone not interested probably wasn't going to see the MP birthday bash in the first place. I also assume he has another 2 hours of material prepared anyway.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #194 on: June 30, 2016, 07:33:35 PM »
I still can't get over a 50-year old man throwing himself a birthday party of this magnitude.  Seems like something Kayne West or Terrell Owens would do.

Either way, I would have no interest in seeing Dream Theater performing the hour-long suite, much less Portnoy and a bunch of non-DT musicians (although I suspect he'll get Sherinian to do the keys).

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2016, 07:39:05 PM »
There's no way MP thinks he's gonna get people who can play TGP and TDS without it being completely hilarious, which makes me think maybe he's cooking something with DT?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2016, 07:45:19 PM »
There's no way MP thinks he's gonna get people who can play TGP and TDS without it being completely hilarious

I have no idea why anyone would think that.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2016, 07:45:54 PM »
I bet every member of Haken could play the whole thing easily. Besides that, yea it does seem like it something that wouldn't be done with the crowd they've got on the cruise as of now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2016, 07:52:20 PM »
I bet every member of Haken could play the whole thing easily. Besides that, yea it does seem like it something that wouldn't be done with the crowd they've got on the cruise as of now.

The guys in Neal's band could easily do it as well.  And probably the PoS guys.  I think he easily has the musicians to pull it off, even if he didn't bring anybody else himself.

Offline 425

« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2016, 07:53:06 PM »
Can you imagine Neal Morse playing The Glass Prison?  :lol

On keyboard? Sure. He's not a metal artist, but let's be real, Neal has done some stuff that is not significantly less heavy than The Glass Prison. TGP isn't exactly death metal, either.

Do I think Neal will be playing it? No, probably not—he may come out and guest on Repentance, but probably not much more. But I could see it.

haha seriously? I have zero interest in hearing this without JR and JP, I can't imagine why anyone would!

'Cause Mike's the one who came up with the concept and wrote all the lyrics, and he's 1/5 of the DT that played on it? I get that some people really don't like Mike Portnoy anymore (or maybe never did), and that's fine, but there are also those of us who never took sides in the [obligatory analogy incoming] divorce and would like to see the guy play a series of songs that we really like and is clearly important to him.

I don't go to concerts really ever (it's rare that a band I like enough to see plays in a location and on a day that is convenient for me), and there's no way I can afford to take a cruise. But if this was something that was playing at a venue <1 hour away from me, yeah, I'd go.

Looking at the line-up of bands, he'll have plenty of prog rock and prog metal vocalists and instrumentalists to pull from, between the Neal Morse Band and Spock's Beard, The Fringe, Pain Of Salvation, and Haken. Between even just THEM, he could put together a rotating line-up to performance the suite's five songs.

Just looking at that list, I'd say Gildenlöw is pretty likely. I also would totally expect to see one or more of the Haken guys, since they're pretty similar to DT musically and there's little question of their being able to technically play it. Maybe Richard Henshall or Connor Green. And Ross Jennings could be a candidate for vocals, though you could also say Gildenlöw is a possibility for that, or even Ted Leonard.

If Sherinian will be there, might be interesting to see him on it—but I'm not sure he's fast enough to play all of Jordan's parts. I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see Jordan himself show up. He's only DT member who we know is on speaking terms with Mike, and his parts might be the hardest to find someone to replicate just from the bands that I know are there. It would also lend a greater degree of credibility. In fact, just thinking about it, I'd say Jordan is the only DT member I'd say is likely to show. The second-most likely is probably James, who I don't think would do it but could conceivably have had a reconciliation with Mike. JP just doesn't seem like the guy who goes and plays his own music under the "Mike Portnoy" banner, and lolnojmx.

EDIT: I cannot express in words how strongly I agree with bosk's and Mosh's posts just now.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2016, 07:53:46 PM »
There's no way MP thinks he's gonna get people who can play TGP and TDS without it being completely hilarious

I have no idea why anyone would think that.

I don't understand that either.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2016, 07:56:07 PM »
I disagree, I think there are some things on TGP and TDS that would demand -at least- JR.

Offline 425

« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2016, 07:59:19 PM »
I disagree, I think there are some things on TGP and TDS that would demand -at least- JR.

To be clear, you are saying that the only person in the entire world who can play the keyboard parts of TGP and TDS is Jordan Rudess? Literally no other person can play it, on the face of the entire planet?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2016, 08:03:11 PM »

While Jordan's parts are probably damn hard to replicate, saying someone else's attempt would be "completely hilarious" is repugnant.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2016, 08:07:33 PM »
Yeah, I mean all five members of DT have VERY difficult parts on all of those songs.  And yet, you could go onto YouTube right now and find plenty of no-names pulling off pretty impressive covers.  I think the guys that have already been mentioned would do just fine.  Let's not be blinded by MP hate and just dump on everything the guys does just because you don't like him.  He's doing something he wants to do, that a lot of fans would want to see, and that other musicians can clearly help him pull off.  There's no need to bash it just because you aren't interested.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #205 on: June 30, 2016, 08:11:35 PM »

The guys in Neal's band could easily do it as well.  And probably the PoS guys.  I think he easily has the musicians to pull it off, even if he didn't bring anybody else himself.

I agree, that's why I said I think it can be done. Apart from maybe his guitarist, Neal's band don't really seem like the Metal types. It doesn't mean they can't, but I imagine MP would want musicians who had more roots in Metal.

Most likely lineup (assuming nobody from DT shows up)?

Gildenlow from PoS - Vocals
Richard Henshaw from Haken - Guitar
Diego from Haken and/or Sherinian - Keyboards
Don't know much about the bassists on this cruise, maybe Connor Green? But now it's just turning into Haken + Mike Portnoy. Which is likely too I suppose.

I'm sure lots of guest appearances will happen though.

Offline Adami

« Reply #206 on: June 30, 2016, 08:13:06 PM »
There are tons of musicians MP can find that can easily play all parts of the suite. Hell, if he decided not to go with anyone known, he can find hundreds of people just on youtube.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #207 on: June 30, 2016, 08:14:52 PM »
There are tons of musicians MP can find that can easily play all parts of the suite. Hell, if he decided not to go with anyone known, he can find hundreds of people just on youtube.
And yet, you could go onto YouTube right now and find plenty of no-names pulling off pretty impressive covers. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #208 on: June 30, 2016, 08:16:21 PM »
And yet, you could go onto YouTube right now and find plenty of no-names pulling off pretty impressive covers. 

Man, when I clicked on this thread there was like 15 unread posts. I was bound to miss something.  :-\
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mosh

« Reply #209 on: June 30, 2016, 08:16:35 PM »
I really doubt MP is going to do this with a band of unknowns.