Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 312829 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #1680 on: April 01, 2020, 10:41:43 AM »
MP is washed up.
Remember, this is the Mike Portnoy APPRECIATION thread.  And NO,  he is not washed up in any way. If anything MP is one of the most relevant drummers out there..  :metal

All I can say is that right now, during COVID19, MP better wash up as often as possible!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1681 on: April 01, 2020, 10:54:54 AM »
MP is washed up.
Remember, this is the Mike Portnoy APPRECIATION thread.  And NO,  he is not washed up in any way. If anything MP is one of the most relevant drummers out there..  :metal

Whole bunch of other comments implying what I said, too. There's almost no enthusiasm for this project here. I like his playing, but he's chosen to spread himself thinner than single ply toilet paper instead of picking one home base group to put blood, sweat, and tears into. I really think people are burned out on MP. I really don't think MP can be called "one of the most relevant drummers" currently, just an honest observation. Nobody cares about Sons or NM or FC or MA or BDSM or whatever besides his "base."

He can still play like mad. I just want to hear something inspired from him after all these years.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1682 on: April 01, 2020, 11:05:35 AM »
MP is washed up.

Whole bunch of other comments implying what I said, too. There's almost no enthusiasm for this project here. I like his playing, but he's chosen to spread himself thinner than single ply toilet paper instead of picking one home base group to put blood, sweat, and tears into. I really think people are burned out on MP. I really don't think MP can be called "one of the most relevant drummers" currently, just an honest observation. Nobody cares about Sons or NM or FC or MA or BDSM or whatever besides his "base."

He can still play like mad. I just want to hear something inspired from him after all these years.
I agree.  I love him, but I'm not sure "relevant" is the best way to describe him at this point in his career.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #1683 on: April 01, 2020, 11:08:58 AM »
MP has a legacy that will always make him at least...I guess semi relevant. But only his legacy right now. As an active drummer, he's hardly relevant.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1684 on: April 01, 2020, 11:09:36 AM »
I love what he's done with SOA and TNMB,  but I haven't been following his other projects. But man, the dude can play anything under the sun and has a lot of heart!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1685 on: April 01, 2020, 11:11:34 AM »
I love what he's done with SOA and TNMB,  but I haven't been following his other projects. But man, the dude can play anything under the sun and has a lot of heart!
Unfortunately, he also has a lot of mouth.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1686 on: April 01, 2020, 11:12:55 AM »
I think I'll only like this new project if they really thrash these classic songs up and turn them into something else.  You have Blitz and Phil Demmel in the band - they better not be doing straight up covers of these songs just with heavier sounding guitars. 

Re-arrange them a bit and make them rip, then that will get my interest.  Here's to hoping it  :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1687 on: April 01, 2020, 11:17:46 AM »
MP has a legacy that will always make him at least...I guess semi relevant. But only his legacy right now. As an active drummer, he's hardly relevant.

Yea, he's still pretty relevant but not so much based on what he's currently doing.  He makes metal headlines constantly and often for things he says, not so much because of his latest music.  That's kind of how I see him now.  He's a big name in the metal world, but besides his base fans, he really isn't relevant to the general metal community for creating new and interesting music at this point.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1688 on: April 01, 2020, 11:35:13 AM »
MP is washed up.

Relevant? I would say prolific, definitely, but not really relevant anymore. Leaving DT was his biggest mistake and he's failed to create something quite as good (or big) to call him relevant in the scene, at least for the past decade.

(Again, all of this IMO)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1689 on: April 01, 2020, 11:44:45 AM »
Nobody cares about Sons or NM or FC or MA or BDSM or whatever besides his "base."
I am confident Neal Morse has a fanbase that couldn't care less if Mike plays on his stuff or not. Yes, Mike did help putting Neal on a map, but whoever discovered Neal because of Mike didn't stay for Mike.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1690 on: April 01, 2020, 11:48:42 AM »
I wouldn't like TNMB as much without Mike. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1691 on: April 01, 2020, 11:49:58 AM »
Nobody cares about Sons or NM or FC or MA or BDSM or whatever besides his "base."
I am confident Neal Morse has a fanbase that couldn't care less if Mike plays on his stuff or not. Yes, Mike did help putting Neal on a map, but whoever discovered Neal because of Mike didn't stay for Mike.

I think there's quite a bit of overlap between the two, but I agree. Either way, don't take my comment too seriously, I think NM's music is tremendously awful.  :lol Winery Dogs is where MP's post-DT sweet spot is for my taste personally, but most of that is because of Richie.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1692 on: April 01, 2020, 12:08:34 PM »
I bought the first Winery Dogs album and I couldn't get into it because of Richie..

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1693 on: April 01, 2020, 12:23:27 PM »
Richie is definitely the glu and the reason behind TWD being so damn good.  I just wished Richie viewed that band more importantly than his solo.  So much more potential with TWD than anything else MP has done since DT IMO.

Online MarkFitDT

« Reply #1694 on: April 01, 2020, 12:24:17 PM »
MP is washed up.

Sorry to nitpick but it isn't the APPRECIATION thread - its the APPRECIATION/DISCUSSION thread which should allow some constructive criticism if people feel the need.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1695 on: April 01, 2020, 12:30:02 PM »
Richie is definitely the glu and the reason behind TWD being so damn good.  I just wished Richie viewed that band more importantly than his solo.  So much more potential with TWD than anything else MP has done since DT IMO.

I feel the same way, and I remember when the band came out and MP said "this is now my 'main' band". For all intents and purposes, I believe he had the intention of it being that way, but after two albums, Richie decided to spend some time in his solo career. This is speculation on my part, but I believe SOA only happened because Richie did not want to do a third TWD album straight after the Hot Streak tour.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: April 01, 2020, 12:33:12 PM »

I feel the same way, and I remember when the band came out and MP said "this is now my 'main' band". For all intents and purposes, I believe he had the intention of it being that way, but after two albums, Richie decided to spend some time in his solo career. This is speculation on my part, but I believe SOA only happened because Richie did not want to do a third TWD album straight after the Hot Streak tour.

That's definitely the way I see it as well. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1697 on: April 01, 2020, 12:41:17 PM »
I don't know if "relevant" is really the right word...  that implies that he has a statement to make.   I'm not sure that's true at this point; rather, I view him as a catalyst or a vehicle for a bigger statement by others or a group.

I certainly do not share the opinion that he's retreading his drumming; there are still MP songs that I listen to just for the drums, and there's only a handful of drummers about whom I can say that.

As for TWD, I don't share that either - it's good not great - but seriously, did no one see that coming?  Richie hasn't done ANYTHING for more more than an album cycle or two, and boom.  Poison, two.  Greg Howe, two.  Mr. Big, two (studio).   I'm no Nostradamus, but I saw that coming a mile away. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #1698 on: April 01, 2020, 02:41:06 PM »
I was moved after watching MP's recent interview, to the point that
I made a commitment to seek the positive aspects in his projects. Actually,
not only his but on a wider scale--to look for the good in people and not the
bad/negative. So as I said earlier, if he's happy, that's all that matters. Having
said that, I'm not going to buy it and I'm surprised any label could make a
profit on this project.

I truly miss listening to music from Mike that moves me but I have all those
great DT albums, TA albums, Testimony and One (both in my top 50) so if he
never again creates something spectacular, he's still my favorite drummer
of all time.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1699 on: April 01, 2020, 03:41:16 PM »
I don't know if "relevant" is really the right word...  that implies that he has a statement to make.   I'm not sure that's true at this point; rather, I view him as a catalyst or a vehicle for a bigger statement by others or a group.

I certainly do not share the opinion that he's retreading his drumming; there are still MP songs that I listen to just for the drums, and there's only a handful of drummers about whom I can say that.

As for TWD, I don't share that either - it's good not great - but seriously, did no one see that coming?  Richie hasn't done ANYTHING for more more than an album cycle or two, and boom.  Poison, two.  Greg Howe, two.  Mr. Big, two (studio).   I'm no Nostradamus, but I saw that coming a mile away.

Funny timing, this was news today https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richie-kotzen-on-the-winery-dogs-if-i-was-betting-i-would-say-theres-gonna-be-a-third-album-in-the-foreseeable-future/  :metal :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1700 on: April 01, 2020, 06:39:15 PM »
MP is washed up.

Only speaking for myself here, but my comments don't imply that at all.
That I don't like his choice of music and/or bandmates is completely on me, not him.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1701 on: April 01, 2020, 06:42:18 PM »
MP is washed up.

That I don't like his choice of music and/or bandmates is completely on me, not him.

I wouldn't call MP washed up at all. But for me, he has gone from my most paid attention to musician to most irrelevant musician.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1702 on: April 01, 2020, 06:52:55 PM »

Richie was the X Factor for me. I like his work in the Winery Dogs (and live) enough that I bought his Inner Galactic Fusion Experience which isn't bad. Probably won't go much farther than that, but I like his work with the Winery Dogs.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1703 on: April 01, 2020, 06:55:46 PM »

That's definitely the way I see it as well.

Seems plausible. Mike's not one to be waiting around long for something to happen. Carpe Diem and all that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1704 on: April 01, 2020, 07:01:15 PM »

Didn't know Richie (Still don't really) but I thought Winery Dogs would last about 5 years before something else happened.  The hiatus thing is a bit different because it doesn't seem like the band is totally done but I suppose we'll see what happens.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1705 on: April 01, 2020, 07:08:45 PM »
MP is washed up.

I wouldn't call MP washed up at all. But for me, he has gone from my most paid attention to musician to most irrelevant musician.

Fair.

I imagine that many people pay attention to him on social media, but I'm not among them. I guess that's a much bigger philosophical question.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1706 on: April 01, 2020, 07:26:19 PM »
I don't have social media.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1707 on: April 01, 2020, 07:38:20 PM »

Funny timing, this was news today https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richie-kotzen-on-the-winery-dogs-if-i-was-betting-i-would-say-theres-gonna-be-a-third-album-in-the-foreseeable-future/

Wow, they mentioned my interview with MP again in this article. :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1708 on: April 02, 2020, 09:13:06 AM »
Rodrigo is all over the metal news world these days  :metal :metal

MP retweeted me last night  :metal https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1245507020544933893

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1709 on: April 02, 2020, 09:19:13 AM »
Rodrigo is all over the metal news world these days  :metal :metal

MP retweeted me last night  :metal https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1245507020544933893

Came here to post that. Had to do a double-take when I saw your name. Pretty cool!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline 425

« Reply #1710 on: April 03, 2020, 07:47:09 PM »
I wouldn't like TNMB as much without Mike. 

I wouldn't either, but I'd also absolutely still follow them closely. I'd follow Neal closely if he was writing prog albums with just a set of randos as the backing band, and I've come to really appreciate Eric Gillette and Bill Hubauer in their own right.

Outside of NMB and Transatlantic (where especially Neal and also other musicians like Eric, Bill and Roine generate a big portion of the interest for me), I share the sentiments that many are expressing about MP at this point. I hate to say it, because Mike is my all-time favorite drummer. But out of what feels like dozens of projects from the last 10 years, there's just not anything I'm particularly interested in. Not even Flying Colors really does a whole lot for me.

The plausible outcome I'd like most is to see at this point is for NMB to become the full-on "main" band for Mike and Neal. It would be beneficial to the other guys, who don't have a half dozen other projects on the side, and I think it's easily the most fruitful venue for both of them. I imagine this won't happen, in part because Mike feels the need to have a "metal" outlet, but the thing is, this whole "let me get together with some other veteran journeymen and toss out an album" thing does not really seem to be working. What I'd like to see him do at minimum is establish a long-term band with some metal musicians with strong songwriting skills, even if they aren't well-known (pretty much exactly what Neal did by bringing in Eric and Bill, who were complete nobodies, by the way), and put serious time into it—like, 45% of his time, with NMB at another 45% and TA/FC at 5% each. But I doubt this will happen, because he just doesn't seem interested in reducing the number of projects to give each one more focus, and because he seems more interested in making "supergroups" with semi-famous names and long-time friends of his than in putting together a strong, cohesive band.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1711 on: April 09, 2020, 04:06:49 PM »
I don't have social media.

Nor do I, but maybe there's some perceptible relevance we're not getting. Or maybe there isn't.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: April 15, 2020, 09:51:18 AM »
BPMD

Tracklist:
1. Wang Dang Sweet Poontang
2. Toys in the Attic
3. Evil
4. Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers
5. Saturday Night Special
6. Tattoo Vampire
7. D.O.A.
8. Walk Away
9. Never in My Life
10. We’re an American Band

“American Made” will be available in the following formats:

1-CD Jewel Case
1-LP Gatefold Black
1-LP Gatefold Red/White/Blue Splatter (NPR Mailorder exclusive)
American Made T-Shirt + Jewel Case Bundle (NPR Mailorder exclusive)
American Made T-Shirt + Vinyl Black Bundle (NPR Mailorder exclusive / North America ONLY)
American Made T-Shirt + Vinyl Red/White/Blue Splatter Bundle (NPR Mailorder exclusive / North America ONLY)
Digital Album

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/news/bpmd-release-music-video-for-cover-of-aerosmiths-toys-in-the-attic

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Adami

« Reply #1714 on: April 15, 2020, 10:51:12 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvoqtNeQ5uQ&feature=emb_logo

wow. That was pretty bad.

Hope others dig it, but this is a hard pass for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com