Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 312852 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #1610 on: January 28, 2020, 12:40:51 PM »
That doesn't change the point, though, that a glaring omission does cast doubt on a statement, does it not?

Yes, it does change the point.  Because there is no "glaring omission."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1611 on: January 28, 2020, 12:58:46 PM »
If someone gives "an explanation of what happened", and does not include a very important part of "what happened", then that is an omission.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1612 on: January 28, 2020, 01:04:05 PM »
Omitting anything, including the number of oxygen molecules present in the room, is technically "an omission."  That does not mean it is "a glaring omission" or one that suggests the person is being dishonest.  You are being unnecessarily pedantic.  People are certainly entitled to believe what they want to believe.  But to parse words and ignore context to the point of absurdity is rather pointless. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #1613 on: January 28, 2020, 01:18:18 PM »
I have no horses in this race, nothing to add or side to take, in fact I'm a bit confused to what was being argued in the first place.
That said, if it helps, here is a link to MP's original post on his forum, which he entitled:

"Mike Portnoy Leaves Dream Theater - Official Press Release"

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=2585154&mpage=1#2585154

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1614 on: January 28, 2020, 01:21:01 PM »
 :lol :facepalm: :lol

:corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1615 on: January 28, 2020, 01:26:33 PM »
 :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1616 on: January 28, 2020, 01:42:59 PM »
I have no horses in this race, nothing to add or side to take, in fact I'm a bit confused to what was being argued in the first place.
That said, if it helps, here is a link to MP's original post on his forum, which he entitled:

Exactly!  People should read what is actually said there before leaping to conclusions.  Thanks for posting that.  :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1617 on: January 28, 2020, 02:08:11 PM »

Lot's of comments and posts scrubbed from that thread. I only know because at the time I was literally the first person to post after his Press Release within a minute or two of his initial post.....and went on to participate in that conversation for many of the subsequent pages.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline emtee

« Reply #1618 on: January 28, 2020, 02:35:09 PM »
Sort of sucks to re-read that whole thread. I was bummed. Sad for everyone involved. It was the beginning of the end of MP's site so
many of us lost touch. I miss the place but in all honesty, I've been a zillion times more productive in my life since MP shut it down.

No going back now. There is only forward.

On a side note, I specifically remember calling attention to the time when MP gave the interview where he made the comments
about LaBrie. I knew right then that DT was headed for a big change. I remember Wey telling me I was making a big deal
out of nothing. But...I was RIGHT!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1619 on: January 28, 2020, 02:49:01 PM »
Sort of sucks to re-read that whole thread. I was bummed. Sad for everyone involved. It was the beginning of the end of MP's site so
many of us lost touch. I miss the place but in all honesty, I've been a zillion times more productive in my life since MP shut it down.

No going back now. There is only forward.

On a side note, I specifically remember calling attention to the time when MP gave the interview where he made the comments
about LaBrie. I knew right then that DT was headed for a big change. I remember Wey telling me I was making a big deal

I remember there were a few of us on that forum that were calling attention to something was amiss just due to some of the comments and things he was posting at the time....and were warned by Wey many times......and when it happened it was almost like a moment of 'told ya so'....

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1620 on: January 28, 2020, 03:12:57 PM »
'Course there were issues with that too.  That led, in some form or fashion, to his not running the forum anymore.  I don't have all - or even most - of the details, but it was messy.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1621 on: January 28, 2020, 04:00:08 PM »
Omitting anything, including the number of oxygen molecules present in the room, is technically "an omission."  That does not mean it is "a glaring omission" or one that suggests the person is being dishonest.  You are being unnecessarily pedantic.  People are certainly entitled to believe what they want to believe.  But to parse words and ignore context to the point of absurdity is rather pointless.

I agree that omitting the number of oxygen molecules present is technically an omission, but the example is silly and unnecessary.   But when giving an “explanation of what happened” and omitting a very big part of what happened (and actually part of why it happened) is clearly not the same as the level of oxygen present in the room.
And I think you know that.
You may not think it is a big deal and that is fine.  Some may think that omission is leaving out something important in the “ explanation of what happened “, and that is an absolutely valid position to take.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 05:05:24 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1622 on: January 28, 2020, 04:20:18 PM »

I remember there were a few of us on that forum that were calling attention to something was amiss just due to some of the comments and things he was posting at the time....and were warned by Wey many times......and when it happened it was almost like a moment of 'told ya so'....

What kind of comments was he making? This is very interesting and new to me, I was never a member of his forum.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gborland

« Reply #1623 on: January 28, 2020, 04:59:42 PM »
The shit hit the fan on the MP forum when the lawsuit surfaced.
Graham Borland

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1624 on: January 28, 2020, 06:54:38 PM »
'Course there were issues with that too.  That led, in some form or fashion, to his not running the forum anymore.  I don't have all - or even most - of the details, but it was messy.
I believe that was more of a quiet annoyance at the whole situation that he toughed out.

The shit hit the fan on the MP forum when the lawsuit surfaced.
That's when he publicly rage-quit for about 4 hours or so.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1625 on: January 28, 2020, 07:40:09 PM »
Then Herrick is reading something into those quotes that isn't there.

No.  Semantics over whether something is or is not an official "press release" does not make the stories inconsistent.  You are ignoring the context of each statement to grasp at an inconsistency that isn't there.

Which you are too.
Not at all.  I am reading both statements, taking them at face value, and giving both sides the benefit of the doubt that they are both telling the truth unless and until circumstances present themselves that necessarily raise doubts about whether or party or the other is not being truthful.

I quoted your reply to Ben_Jamin because I think you and I are talking about two different things.

One quote posted by gborland taken from the 14:35 of the recent interview has Portnoy saying he didn't put out a press release. Portnoy mentioned "a post I made on my website". The other quote posted by gborland is someone(s) from A7X saying Portnoy told them he put out a press release. Then New World Rushman posted link to a thread Portnoy made on his forum which is titled "Mike Portnoy Leaves Dream Theater - Official Press Release".

There is an inconsistency there. That does not mean Portnoy or A7X are lying or trying to hide anything. Maybe Portnoy was talking about another post he made before the official press release thread. Or maybe that was the only thread/post Portnoy made about leaving Dream Theater and the "Official Press Release" was added later on. I've no idea where gborland got that A7X quote from, so that could be completely incorrect.

I'm just replying to the possibility that Portnoy said/posted something that was inconsistent with what A7X said/posted. I think you're looking at it as people accusing Portnoy of lying. I agree with you. I don't think Portnoy or A7X are lying.

I'm Robert Herrick of the Clan MacHerrick and I approve this message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-epMv1f3Yc

Edit: gzarruk, what's up mang?  :biggrin:
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1626 on: January 28, 2020, 09:19:43 PM »

What kind of comments was he making? This is very interesting and new to me, I was never a member of his forum.

Man.....it was so long ago.....the thing that stuck out was the social media posts saying how much fun he was having  with A7X. Lots of pics with them doing all sorts of things like water skiing and getting tats together......whereas most mentions of DT the last few years were about how busy they were or how much he had to do.

It’s tough to recall all of the instances where he’d say or post something that just seemed ‘off’. Always something small. I remember he posted a vid of him, JLB and JMX’s kid eating backstage and he made a comment along the lines of “Ive spoken more with Johns kid these past few days than I have to John in 5 years”. Was an interesting insight.

Maybe emtee can recall more....I just remember the feel of his forum prior to the split more than specific things

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1627 on: January 28, 2020, 09:28:05 PM »
Weren't there comments about a band meeting and trying to talk to someone (the implication was Myung) with headphones jammed in their ears?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1628 on: January 28, 2020, 10:27:52 PM »
I had made a thread a few weeks prior to MP leaving here called: Which Member Is Most Likely to Pull a Kevin Moore” and by that I just meant which member would up and leave suddenly. Well, we got that answer a few weeks later. I remember a lot of people here said it was a dumb thread and made jokes, then the thread just got sad. I felt bad posting it and remember I felt like everyone was mad at me and kept apologizing. Someone finally and thankfully told me to shut up and stop apologizing. :lol. I always have to remember I made that thread 10 years ago when I was 15 and treated this forum like high school and didn’t want to be the unpopular one.

As for what you said Stadler, I believe it was dinner before a show where members trickled in and out and there was an implication that a band member (which I always perceived to be JM) came in, sat down with earbuds in and ate dinner talking to no one. MP said that was a moment that stuck out that things needed to change. Because A7X always hung out and talked and DT didn’t feel that way. Which in retrospect, I’m sure bands don’t talk to each other all the time or eat dinner in silence and kind of tune out a bit. I’m sure A7X does that too. It’s a bit unfair of a comparison for MP to do(if he even did, I don’t remember). Of course A7X was close at that time, their best friend had just died, they probably leaned on each other a lot that tour.

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1629 on: January 29, 2020, 03:19:26 AM »
Just to make things clear: my original post that started all this has nothing to do with the "press release" thing.

My post was FULLY understood by eric42434224 and El Barto and which I clarify as follows:

In his latest interview MP mentioned being burnt out as the reason of his decision to quit DT and did NOT mention anything about the A7X issue.

IMO this omission affects the credibility of his statement in this interview, especially that we know for a fact that (i) he tried to join A7X and was rejected, and (ii) he tried to go back to DT thereafter with no success.

This issue has always been compared to a marital relationship and from that perspective if I agree with Bosk that the above omission does not affect the truth, I would then have to agree with the following scenario: imagine a husband that applied for divorce and when asked about the reason behind his request during his court cross-examination, he goes through all the house and wife problems without mentioning that in fact he has plans to marry another women (plans that are confirmed by this latter) and when this point is raised the court considered such omission as irrelevant and does not affect his statement. Not to mention that later on and when such women refused his proposal he went back to his wife asking to return as if the original problems have vanished.

Does not that affect his statement? Does not that affect (especially by asking his wife to come back) the credibility of the house and wife problems he listed as the reason of his divorce request?

That is how I see it and how I felt when listening to this interview. With my total respect to anyone that do not agree with the above.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1630 on: January 29, 2020, 06:54:45 AM »
It’s tough to recall all of the instances where he’d say or post something that just seemed ‘off’. Always something small. I remember he posted a vid of him, JLB and JMX’s kid eating backstage and he made a comment along the lines of “Ive spoken more with Johns kid these past few days than I have to John in 5 years”. Was an interesting insight.

It's funny how I recently met someone who know's John's son and he said the kid speaks A LOT  :lol

As for what you said Stadler, I believe it was dinner before a show where members trickled in and out and there was an implication that a band member (which I always perceived to be JM) came in, sat down with earbuds in and ate dinner talking to no one. MP said that was a moment that stuck out that things needed to change.

Occassionally my coworker comes into our shared office and will just keep his headphones on and work.  To me, it means he's probably got something personal going on and doesn't want to talk.  I let him be.  Usually even if we aren't actively talking to each other, we won't have our headphones on in the office together.  I do think it's a bit awkward if that's how they always ate dinner, but if it were on occassion, I wouldn't personally put too much stock into it.  But then again, these types of awkward moments maybe do add up to make a relationship sour. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1631 on: January 29, 2020, 08:08:18 AM »
Look, it's all a matter of taste and perspective.   The idea that all bands are best friends and a "gang of four/five/whatever", went out for me around the time of "Dynasty" by Kiss.  Our friend here related a story - that I've heard variations on as well - that Aerosmith hate each other and don't even go in the same room unless on stage.   There are far more bands like that, than Dream Theater that always seemed to be a group friends, first and foremost.   I can't really blame Mike - given that he's largely made a career out of playing with his "bros" (I mean that in a good way) - for wanting that, and/or lamenting it's loss.  There are people that operate comfortably in conflict zones - as Cram said, "let him be" - and those that prefer not to.  No harm, no foul, Mike strikes me as a guy that prefers not to. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1632 on: January 29, 2020, 09:53:37 AM »
Something to be said for band members being best friends.  The guys in Rush always said they are best friends and consider each other family,  which is a huge factor contributing to their longevity. They only lasted forty years plus..  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1633 on: January 29, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »
Something to be said for band members being best friends.  The guys in Rush always said they are best friends and consider each other family,  which is a huge factor contributing to their longevity. They only lasted forty years plus..  :coolio

Yea, it's certainly rare but I think it makes the fans like a band even more when they know that the band members have a good relationship and the band never changes personnel. 311 is the same way, same 5 guys who are best friends and it feels like it brings the fan base together as there is no drama around them.  Life is not always so perfect though.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: January 29, 2020, 09:59:47 AM »

Rolling Stones? 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1635 on: January 29, 2020, 10:10:03 AM »

Herrick made a friend :tup

About the "this guy had headphones on the whole time" vs "A7X were hanging 24/7 like best pals", I don't think it's a big deal, honestly. By 2010 they had been a band for 25 years, that's a long time. In my experience, relationship dynamics often change through time, we "get used" to the same people being around us and it becomes ordinary in a way, it's not that we don't appreciate the other person, it's just that we spend so much time with each other that we usually crave some "me" time. Mike, on the other hand, had been in a completely new environment, meeting and interacting with new people and that's always exciting and fresh, so I don't blame him for making that contrast, I just guess he was too burnt out with DT to realize how these things work. Now, if he wasn't that big of a control freak, micromanaging everything (we're all guilty of that on some degree) things could've played out differently.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1636 on: January 29, 2020, 10:11:06 AM »
Rolling Stones are a good example of being honest with each other :lol

Still love the story of Mick Jagger referring to Charlie Watts as his drummer on a phone call with him. Charlie dressed up, shined his shoes, marched down to Mick’s room. Mick answers the door, Charlie punches him in the face. “I’m not your drummer. You’re MY singer!” Just walked away
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1637 on: January 29, 2020, 10:20:41 AM »
 :rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1638 on: January 29, 2020, 10:24:07 AM »
Rolling Stones are a good example of being honest with each other :lol

Still love the story of Mick Jagger referring to Charlie Watts as his drummer on a phone call with him. Charlie dressed up, shined his shoes, marched down to Mick’s room. Mick answers the door, Charlie punches him in the face. “I’m not your drummer. You’re MY singer!” Just walked away

:lol :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: January 29, 2020, 11:12:12 AM »

Herrick made a friend :tup

About the "this guy had headphones on the whole time" vs "A7X were hanging 24/7 like best pals", I don't think it's a big deal, honestly. By 2010 they had been a band for 25 years, that's a long time. In my experience, relationship dynamics often change through time, we "get used" to the same people being around us and it becomes ordinary in a way, it's not that we don't appreciate the other person, it's just that we spend so much time with each other that we usually crave some "me" time. Mike, on the other hand, had been in a completely new environment, meeting and interacting with new people and that's always exciting and fresh, so I don't blame him for making that contrast, I just guess he was too burnt out with DT to realize how these things work. Now, if he wasn't that big of a control freak, micromanaging everything (we're all guilty of that on some degree) things could've played out differently.

The implication with "control freak" and "micromanaging" is negative, though.  I fully believe that the person with the issue (here, Mike) is the one that either accepts or changes.   But I don't think the value judgments are really relevant.  I think the very best bands all have an element of "control" or "manage"; Springsteen, Joel, U2 (Clayon, business, Edge, music, Bono, stage), I think it's an incredible part of DT's success and a fair reason why they achieved a level of success above their peers.   He is who he is, and always was.  Myung, same.   But in a band - as in a sports team or any unit that needs cooperation, interaction, communication - "introspection" is as much an issue to be dealt with as "control" and "micromanagement".  There's no "value" to them, they are just issues to be dealt with. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1640 on: March 25, 2020, 12:36:57 PM »
https://nextmosh.com/supergroup-bpmd-signs-to-napalm-records/

According to Demmel from a different interview story, they each picked 2 classic songs from the 70's to cover and a wild card tune. There's 10 songs total, covering Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Skynyrd, Blue Oyster Cult, James Gang, Mountain, Cactus and Van Halen. So, all these classic tunes with these souped-up, modern-day technology sounds.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1641 on: March 25, 2020, 12:39:40 PM »
https://nextmosh.com/supergroup-bpmd-signs-to-napalm-records/

According to Demmel from a different interview story, they each picked 2 classic songs from the 70's to cover and a wild card tune. There's 10 songs total, covering Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Skynyrd, Blue Oyster Cult, James Gang, Mountain, Cactus and Van Halen. So, all these classic tunes with these souped-up, modern-day technology sounds.

Hmm pass. I'll check out a song if I'm familiar with it on youtube, but that's just not very interesting, given the artists being covered and the artists covering them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1642 on: March 25, 2020, 12:52:53 PM »
I'm not really down with this either. I might go see them when they inevitably play the Elks Lodge in town, but that's it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: March 25, 2020, 01:03:10 PM »
So a cover band now?  No interest for me on this

Offline emtee

« Reply #1644 on: March 25, 2020, 01:46:15 PM »
If he's happy and pumped about, good for him.

I have no interest in it. Frankly, I'm wondering if MP will ever
be involved in something I will buy.