Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 313166 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #1575 on: January 06, 2020, 08:49:41 AM »
Regarding Kevin Moore, I will point out that he was one of JP's closest friends growing up, and even though they may have grown apart, I still get the sense that John holds him in VERY high regard.  So I highly doubt he, for one, would have been on the "KM is overrated" bandwagon.  I can't claim to know John Petrucci well.  But from my interactions with him, here's one thing I have observed about his personality:  He is very much a leader and has very strong opinions on things.  But at the same time, he isn't the type of person who often feels the need to assert his opinions if he doesn't see a need to.  Publicly, he much prefers to stay away from ANYTHING controversial, and if asked something controversial, will instead deflect from the controversy and say things that are very professional, uplifting, and classy.  But if asked the same thing privately, and if it is something he feels strongly about, although he will STILL be professional, uplifting, and 100% classy, he will not shy away from being direct and showing how passionate he is about whatever the subject is.  He's just very kind and intensely loyal, but keeps a pretty firm wall between his public and private personas and is pretty careful about what he lets out into the public domain.  And although I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here on the public vs. private thing, my main point is in how, from what I have seen, even if he is passionate about something, if he does not see a reason to speak up and challenge something, and believes it to be in the best interests of everyone involved, I think he often subordinates his own feelings and just keeps them to himself if there is nothing to be gained.  So I could very well see him taking that approach with the KM discussion and just keeping quiet.  He feels how he feels about KM, and nothing will change that, and probably just felt (and feels) that it isn't really his job to jump into that discussion.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1576 on: January 06, 2020, 08:59:20 AM »
He is very much a leader and has very strong opinions on things.  But at the same time, he isn't the type of person who often feels the need to assert his opinions if he doesn't see a need to.  Publicly, he much prefers to stay away from ANYTHING controversial, and if asked something controversial, will instead deflect from the controversy and say things that are very professional, uplifting, and classy.  But if asked the same thing privately, and if it is something he feels strongly about, although he will STILL be professional, uplifting, and 100% classy, he will not shy away from being direct and showing how passionate he is about whatever the subject is.  He's just very kind and intensely loyal, but keeps a pretty firm wall between his public and private personas and is pretty careful about what he lets out into the public domain. 

Sounds like he figured out pretty damn good how to handle fame and being in the spotlight  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1577 on: January 06, 2020, 09:11:00 AM »
Regarding Kevin Moore, I will point out that he was one of JP's closest friends growing up, and even though they may have grown apart, I still get the sense that John holds him in VERY high regard.  So I highly doubt he, for one, would have been on the "KM is overrated" bandwagon.  I can't claim to know John Petrucci well.  But from my interactions with him, here's one thing I have observed about his personality:  He is very much a leader and has very strong opinions on things.  But at the same time, he isn't the type of person who often feels the need to assert his opinions if he doesn't see a need to.  Publicly, he much prefers to stay away from ANYTHING controversial, and if asked something controversial, will instead deflect from the controversy and say things that are very professional, uplifting, and classy.  But if asked the same thing privately, and if it is something he feels strongly about, although he will STILL be professional, uplifting, and 100% classy, he will not shy away from being direct and showing how passionate he is about whatever the subject is.  He's just very kind and intensely loyal, but keeps a pretty firm wall between his public and private personas and is pretty careful about what he lets out into the public domain.  And although I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here on the public vs. private thing, my main point is in how, from what I have seen, even if he is passionate about something, if he does not see a reason to speak up and challenge something, and believes it to be in the best interests of everyone involved, I think he often subordinates his own feelings and just keeps them to himself if there is nothing to be gained.  So I could very well see him taking that approach with the KM discussion and just keeping quiet.  He feels how he feels about KM, and nothing will change that, and probably just felt (and feels) that it isn't really his job to jump into that discussion.

You don't have to answer this (and I'm certainly not asking you to betray confidences of any kind) but is your "Public v. Private" limited to the transfer of information or also the opinions themselves?  Meaning, I get it that he is very careful about what he puts out there, but is he also Steve Harris-esque, in that he may have strong, positive feelings for a person, but the "band decisions" are not "personal decisions"?   I'm talking more "Personal v. Professional" than "Public v. Private", but they are closely related.

I'm of the opinion that the best bands have to have that sort of wall between personal and professional.  There are very few exceptions to that; Def Leppard (vis-a-vis Steve Clark), maybe The Beatles, maybe Rush.  But there are more examples of the opposite:  Maiden (Harris is reportedly on at least good if not great terms with most of the former members of Maiden), Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, The Stones, The Dead, Sabbath, Genesis, Billy Joel, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, The Kinks, Kiss, Pearl Jam, where there is a benign dictator/CEO that makes the hard decisions in the best interest of the band, if not for the individual members themselves.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1578 on: January 06, 2020, 09:17:55 AM »
My interview with Mike was published today on Sonic Perspectives. Check it out on the link below:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-mike-portnoy/

Thank you for posting. He is definitively keeping himself busy with all these projects he is a part of.

Interesting that he said he would rather be an opening band instead of the headliner band.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1579 on: January 06, 2020, 09:20:06 AM »

You don't have to answer this (and I'm certainly not asking you to betray confidences of any kind) but is your "Public v. Private" limited to the transfer of information or also the opinions themselves? 

Well, I'll just say this:  I don't think anything he puts out there in the public domain is contrary to how he feels in private, at least not that I've seen.  But I think he publicly downplays how strongly he may feel about something, or may publicly downplay anything that could be seen as negativity.  But, again, where I was going with that was more to illustrate that I think the core part of his personality that is relevant to this discussion is that he simply avoids controversy that he deems to be unnecessary or counterproductive.  And that is a rare thing for someone who, at the same time holds VERY strong opinions and can be VERY passionate about those opinions.  Another way of saying it is that he is very adept at avoiding unnecessary controversy, but at the same time is not afraid of controversy when he deems it necessary or beneficial to get a point across. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1580 on: January 24, 2020, 12:21:42 PM »
Taken from his FB:

Kicking off 2020 with one of the deepest, most REAL interviews I’ve done in a long time!! This is a great one and covers ALOT of ground...Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/4-epMv1f3Yc

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1581 on: January 25, 2020, 08:37:46 AM »
Cool, I'll have to give it a listen.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1582 on: January 25, 2020, 12:18:03 PM »
It's been a relaxing, slow Saturday. I took a break from writing and watched that whole
interview.

I really enjoyed it. He's such a genuine person. At times throughout then years, I've been
bummed by certain things but all-in-all, I've always admired him. Seeing the interview reminds
me that every single one of us carries burdens and goes through struggles. We have great days
and amazing accomplishments and then we live through tough times. As humans we share these
experiences. After watching this, I'm going to focus on becoming less judgmental and trying
to see the goodness that each and every one of us brings to the table.

Thanks for posting the interview and thanks MP for being so honest about your life.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1583 on: January 26, 2020, 11:15:46 PM »
Yes, I agree. I thought the interviewer was good, too.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1584 on: January 26, 2020, 11:30:13 PM »
It was good. Throwing advertisements in the middle of Mike's response was not.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1585 on: January 28, 2020, 03:50:12 AM »
I listened to this.

I would never feel MP is telling the truth (or at least the whole truth) behind leaving DT, unless he expressly mentions the whole A7X true story. There are 2 irrefutable facts here which are impossible to overlook: (i) what A7X declared about this (especially lately) and (ii) the fact that MP attempted to return to DT after a while (notably when things went wrong with A7X). 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1586 on: January 28, 2020, 06:05:04 AM »
I listened to this.

I would never feel MP is telling the truth (or at least the whole truth) behind leaving DT, unless he expressly mentions the whole A7X true story. There are 2 irrefutable facts here which are impossible to overlook: (i) what A7X declared about this (especially lately) and (ii) the fact that MP attempted to return to DT after a while (notably when things went wrong with A7X).

Thats his mistake he acknowledges. No need to into the details.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1587 on: January 28, 2020, 06:46:46 AM »
I listened to this.

What I found funny is that he says he didn't post a press release... but the A7X guys might not agree with that :lol

It was a good interview, though (except for the 2 full minutes of advertising in the middle of his answers).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1588 on: January 28, 2020, 07:12:29 AM »
I just listened to the DT part at the beginning of the interview.

I love MP, and frankly, I really miss him and all he brought to the band. But he has just not done anything musically, that I'm even remotely interested in. And that sucks!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1589 on: January 28, 2020, 07:59:10 AM »
I listened to this.

What are you talking about?  As far as I know, MP has never said anything inconsistent with what the guys in A7X said. 

Offline gborland

« Reply #1590 on: January 28, 2020, 09:43:47 AM »
I listened to this.

What are you talking about?  As far as I know, MP has never said anything inconsistent with what the guys in A7X said.

Portnoy: " And people were acting as if I put out some sort of press release. It wasn't a press release — it was my feelings and my explanation of what happened."

A7X: And he was saying: 'Now I can be with you guys.' And we were like, 'That's not necessarily what we decided upon. And you should take your time and reconsider.' And he was like, 'Well, I put out my press release.' We were like, 'Dude, that's not how we do business. You should have talked to us before.'"

Spot the difference?
Graham Borland

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1591 on: January 28, 2020, 09:49:19 AM »
No.  Semantics over whether something is or is not an official "press release" does not make the stories inconsistent.  You are ignoring the context of each statement to grasp at an inconsistency that isn't there. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1592 on: January 28, 2020, 10:12:17 AM »
No.  Semantics over whether something is or is not an official "press release" does not make the stories inconsistent.  You are ignoring the context of each statement to grasp at an inconsistency that isn't there.

If those quotes are accurate then I would agree with Moor.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1593 on: January 28, 2020, 10:47:20 AM »
Then Herrick is reading something into those quotes that isn't there.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1594 on: January 28, 2020, 11:07:35 AM »
I agree with Herrick's post there
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1595 on: January 28, 2020, 11:28:08 AM »
I listened to this.

The trees are that way, chief. Over there where the forest is. You're looking for inconsistencies where they need not be for the point Moor is making. A7X has suggested that wanting to continue with them was part of MP's rationale. After they said no dice he attempted to return to DT.* There is every reason to think that A7X factored heavily into his decision to split from DT based on these points, which is what Moor is suggesting.

*I'm taking this as read. I'm not familiar with the time frame of it all. Just chiming in on the logic of his position.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1596 on: January 28, 2020, 11:53:33 AM »
Yup, I think all of that is correct.  And it is also not inconsistent with what MP has said.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1597 on: January 28, 2020, 11:57:01 AM »

Which you are too. MP obviously thought he had a good gig with A7X. And the they said otherwise and he just thought he was good.

No blame on A7X, or MP.

Hia decision led him to this outcome
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1598 on: January 28, 2020, 12:01:08 PM »
Anyone have a link or quote of this press release that's not considered a press release?

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1599 on: January 28, 2020, 12:06:21 PM »
Anyone have a link or quote of this press release that's not considered a press release?

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-quits-dream-theater/

It's just a statement from MP, and definitely not written like an official press release.  The A7X guys just called it a "press release" out of habit, but were referring to the fact that Mike had already announced that he was leaving Dream Theater.

Like Bosk said.  It's semantics.

As for A7X, it was just a difference in their interests.  MP felt that he could potentially join the band, and the band at the time felt that he was just a temporary solution.  Whether or not each party discussed that with each other at the time, I don't know.  Either way, it's not that big of a deal - everyone knows the story and I don't believe that anybody is hiding anything when it comes to MP leaving DT.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1600 on: January 28, 2020, 12:09:37 PM »

Which you are too.
Not at all.  I am reading both statements, taking them at face value, and giving both sides the benefit of the doubt that they are both telling the truth unless and until circumstances present themselves that necessarily raise doubts about whether or party or the other is not being truthful.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1601 on: January 28, 2020, 12:09:59 PM »
Yup, I think all of that is correct.  And it is also not inconsistent with what MP has said.
Thus solidifying the point you were replying to. Moor said he couldn't take as truth an MP Statement that disregarded the A7X aspect. An aspect that you agree is legitimate. It's a pertinent omission. I'm really not sure where the inconsistency becomes a requirement.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1602 on: January 28, 2020, 12:14:23 PM »
I'm sort of "this is much ado about nothing". 

By the way, I noticed the last couple times I've heard him speak that he has a slight... not lisp but a sort of slur of his 's''s.  In this interview I saw a sort of gleam; did he get a tongue piercing?   

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1603 on: January 28, 2020, 12:16:56 PM »
I'm with Bosk on this one.  I'm all about "words matter", but it seems like an inconsistent standard is being applied here.
How so? I really don't get it. MP tells the story about why he leaves DT and completely omits an admittedly pertinent detail, causing somebody to consider the entire statement suspect. Is that wrong? Wouldn't you?
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1604 on: January 28, 2020, 12:18:29 PM »
Thus solidifying the point you were replying to. Moor said he couldn't take as truth an MP Statement that disregarded the A7X aspect. An aspect that you agree is legitimate. It's a pertinent omission. I'm really not sure where the inconsistency becomes a requirement.

No offense, but I think you've got it completely backward from what I just said.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1605 on: January 28, 2020, 12:18:47 PM »

By the way, I noticed the last couple times I've heard him speak that he has a slight... not lisp but a sort of slur of his 's''s.  In this interview I saw a sort of gleam; did he get a tongue piercing?

Bosk doesn't have a tongue piercing, or at least I couldn't feel one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1606 on: January 28, 2020, 12:19:20 PM »
I'm with Bosk on this one.  I'm all about "words matter", but it seems like an inconsistent standard is being applied here.
How so? I really don't get it. MP tells the story about why he leaves DT and completely omits an admittedly pertinent detail, causing somebody to consider the entire statement suspect. Is that wrong? Wouldn't you?
Well, I went back and reread the rest of it; I think I misunderstood the argument. I still think it's much ado about nothing.  I listened to the interview and I didn't get a sense of anything that made the entire statement "suspect".   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1607 on: January 28, 2020, 12:20:07 PM »

Bosk doesn't have a tongue piercing, or at least I couldn't feel one.

You're joking, I think, but I WAS in fact talking about Bosk, so good catch.  :)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1608 on: January 28, 2020, 12:21:06 PM »

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-quits-dream-theater/

It's just a statement from MP, and definitely not written like an official press release.  The A7X guys just called it a "press release" out of habit, but were referring to the fact that Mike had already announced that he was leaving Dream Theater.

Like Bosk said.  It's semantics.

As for A7X, it was just a difference in their interests.  MP felt that he could potentially join the band, and the band at the time felt that he was just a temporary solution.  Whether or not each party discussed that with each other at the time, I don't know.  Either way, it's not that big of a deal - everyone knows the story and I don't believe that anybody is hiding anything when it comes to MP leaving DT.

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1609 on: January 28, 2020, 12:25:10 PM »
Well, I went back and reread the rest of it; I think I misunderstood the argument. I still think it's much ado about nothing.  I listened to the interview and I didn't get a sense of anything that made the entire statement "suspect".
I didn't listen to the interview, and I probably wouldn't treat the whole thing as suspect either. That doesn't change the point, though, that a glaring omission does cast doubt on a statement, does it not? That's all Moor seemed to be saying, and I don't see how a lack of unknown inconsistencies changes that.
E.F. Benson