Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 312690 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #1540 on: December 29, 2019, 07:42:55 AM »
Five seconds into the video, is his daughter chugging wine while sitting right next to him?  That seems odd.  The few recovering alcoholics I have known, their families always made a point to not drink in front of them out of courtesy.  Just making an observation, not judging.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1541 on: December 29, 2019, 09:12:36 AM »
Five seconds into the video, is his daughter chugging wine while sitting right next to him?  That seems odd.  The few recovering alcoholics I have known, their families always made a point to not drink in front of them out of courtesy.  Just making an observation, not judging.

His touring lifestyle probably puts him in proximity of booze constantly so maybe he's just learned to avoid the temptation. Wasn't there some SoA tour bus video where the bus was stocked with whisky for JSS? I'm guessing he's probably comfortable enough to be around it without needing it as it seems like quite a large demand for a "no alcohol" policy at stuff like parties/holidays.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1542 on: December 29, 2019, 09:25:50 AM »
I'll say that my dad's been sober for almost 30 years and my mom, my sister, and I have never not had a beer or a glass of wine just because he's around. It might be one thing if he was newly in the program and just out of rehab or something, but for someone who's been sober as long as he has I'd be worried if he couldn't deal with people indulging around him (especially considering his line of work). And it seemed like just a normal sip of wine, to me chugging has more of a negative, "drinking an inappropriate amount" connotation.

edit:

His touring lifestyle probably puts him in proximity of booze constantly so maybe he's just learned to avoid the temptation. Wasn't there some SoA tour bus video where the bus was stocked with whisky for JSS? I'm guessing he's probably comfortable enough to be around it without needing it as it seems like quite a large demand for a "no alcohol" policy at stuff like parties/holidays.

Yeah, I know Billy Sheehan is always posting about wine when he's out on tour as well.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1543 on: December 29, 2019, 09:56:41 AM »
Thanks for those posts, fellas. Gave me some new and interesting perspective.  :tup :tup

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1544 on: December 29, 2019, 12:09:30 PM »
I'll say that my dad's been sober for almost 30 years and my mom, my sister, and I have never not had a beer or a glass of wine just because he's around. It might be one thing if he was newly in the program and just out of rehab or something, but for someone who's been sober as long as he has I'd be worried if he couldn't deal with people indulging around him (especially considering his line of work).

Yeah, of course I don't know him personally nor I have experience with ex-addicts buy my general impression was this one: he simply got over it and he no longer has the urge or the temptation. He's an adult man dealing with other adults, if someone don't know this detail about him when actually meeting him to work, a simple "no, thanks, I'm a recovering alcholic, I'll never drink again" will do to have any bandmember drop the invitation to drink along with them.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1545 on: December 29, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »
That video is awesome, Melody truly knows The Beatles well. I can imagine she would destroy Neal Morse if she played the game with him.  :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1546 on: December 29, 2019, 05:32:03 PM »
Also, doesn't get talked about much but on BE live by PoS, they mess up the lyrics Lilium Cruentus.

I'm not sure I even understand what that sentence means, so I'm not surprised that it isn't talked about much.  :lol

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause of the leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

... I would like to leave the room now.

Yesss Sir.

And if you dooooo... and if you dooooo.   :lol

:rollin

Didn't somebody wearing my uniform and bearing a striking resemblance to myself just say that that kind of music was inappropriate?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1547 on: December 30, 2019, 08:25:22 AM »
I'll say that my dad's been sober for almost 30 years and my mom, my sister, and I have never not had a beer or a glass of wine just because he's around. It might be one thing if he was newly in the program and just out of rehab or something, but for someone who's been sober as long as he has I'd be worried if he couldn't deal with people indulging around him (especially considering his line of work).

Yeah, of course I don't know him personally nor I have experience with ex-addicts buy my general impression was this one: he simply got over it and he no longer has the urge or the temptation. He's an adult man dealing with other adults, if someone don't know this detail about him when actually meeting him to work, a simple "no, thanks, I'm a recovering alcholic, I'll never drink again" will do to have any bandmember drop the invitation to drink along with them.

This June will be 12 years sober for me....and, I do not care one bit if people are drinking around me. Near all my buddies drink around me....family members....it just doesn't cross my mind to take a drink if I see someone drinking. I'd imagine that MP has something similar to where it just doesn't bother him and if it did then certainly his daughter would know and wouldn't be drinking in front of him.

Where I HAVE been tempted in these past (11+) years is when I'm alone and I get into my own head and try to convince myself that 'surely you've come so far now and clearly have "control" over this....you could have one or two drinks with your buddies".....

I am not a 'one or two drink' person. If it's one it's then 70 more. Thus....I just don't drink any longer.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1548 on: December 30, 2019, 09:17:26 AM »

Chugging? Seriously?

She sips something pinkish out of a white wine glass. It could have been anything... Christmas punch, cranberry juice and ginger ale, or any number of festive holiday non-alcohol drinks. Yes, it easily could be a blush wine too, but the assumption that it's alcohol along with mischaracterizing her consumption seems a bit hyperbolic, don't you think?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1549 on: December 30, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »
I had a friend over and watched the Plovdiv dvd. She had never heard SOA before and actually liked the show. When JSS introduced MP,   she asked me "did he say Mike Pork-loin"?    Anyway we got a good laugh.  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1550 on: December 31, 2019, 02:39:11 AM »

Chugging? Seriously?

She sips something pinkish out of a white wine glass. It could have been anything... Christmas punch, cranberry juice and ginger ale, or any number of festive holiday non-alcohol drinks. Yes, it easily could be a blush wine too, but the assumption that it's alcohol along with mischaracterizing her consumption seems a bit hyperbolic, don't you think?

The whole discussion is ludicrous. MP shares a lovely, familial Christmas video featuring his daughter, and, instead of discussing how charming it is, we focus on Melody's one sip. Just... good grief.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 04:52:43 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1551 on: December 31, 2019, 04:32:10 AM »
Lets not give Kev such a drilling, he asked a question and thanked for the reply. I also don't think it is a big deal, it's the Holidays and stuff, the family likes a drink for a Holiday, and I guess Mike understands and doesn't mind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1552 on: December 31, 2019, 12:49:32 PM »
Thanks, Mladen. :)

All good on my end, I was just merely curious.

I did watch the whole video, and he got taken to school by his daughter.  Some wondered how she would do against Neal Morse, but Portnoy kicked Neal's butt, so I am pretty sure Neal would not do well against Melody.

I would crush it in a "name that tune" contest that involved Rush or Dream Theater. :coolio :hat

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1553 on: December 31, 2019, 01:32:40 PM »
Yeah, I didn't read Kev's post or the ensuing ones as "making a big deal" out of it either. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1554 on: January 02, 2020, 02:44:34 PM »
I'll add that my sister and her husband are sober, while we won't ever bring booze into their home when we are out or at someone elses house, they have no issue with us all drinking in front of them.  I do understand it's different for different people so one could find that odd, but let's remember MP tours with metal bands who drink all the time.  If he can stay sober on the road, his daughter drinking near him isn't likely going to bother him much.

I've actually always wondered if the drinking around MP had bothered him, like it must have been a difficult situation when he was in A7X, and even SOA when JSS and BF booze a bit, even on stage, but at least MP has Billy in SOA who I believe is also sober.

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #1555 on: January 02, 2020, 07:44:39 PM »
I know Mike talks to and occasionally hangs out with Jordan and JP but it made me happy to see he hung out with John Myung on New Year's Eve.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1556 on: January 02, 2020, 11:16:11 PM »
Yeah that’s cool. Next years’ eve he will be hanging out with Labrie and Mangini

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1557 on: January 03, 2020, 06:30:28 AM »
Warms the cockles, that.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DTA

« Reply #1558 on: January 03, 2020, 07:28:09 AM »
Damn, didn’t ever expect him to be on friendly terms with Myung again. I’m pretty sure they live really close to each other so that probably helped as opposed to LaBrie who is likely too distant.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1559 on: January 03, 2020, 09:01:24 AM »
What's the "Joe Hoyle" reference (I can't find the original quote/feed/whatever it's called)?

I don't really put much stock in these things, because for me it's all about what happens when the lights are off, the phones are down, and the microphones are off, and I'm not one to care how other people conduct themselves in their personal relationships, but to me the Myung thing is news; that's to my knowledge the first acknowledgement that there has been some reparation in that relationship (which, as some might recall, seemed to be a factor in the events of 2010).

Interesting if there's ever going to be a thaw with LaBrie.  They WERE friends at one point.

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #1560 on: January 03, 2020, 09:18:08 AM »
What's the "Joe Hoyle" reference (I can't find the original quote/feed/whatever it's called)?

Mike was just replying to Joe who asked if he had talked to the other guys.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1561 on: January 03, 2020, 09:27:37 AM »
Interesting if there's ever going to be a thaw with LaBrie.  They WERE friends at one point.

They were best pals around the IAW era (or so I've read), and if I'm not mistaken, things started to go south in around the SDOIT era.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1562 on: January 03, 2020, 09:45:56 AM »

if I'm not mistaken, things started to go south in around the SDOIT era.
Well that's fitting..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1563 on: January 03, 2020, 10:00:34 AM »

They were best pals around the IAW era (or so I've read), and if I'm not mistaken, things started to go south in around the SDOIT era.

I think that James was really upset with that conference call with MP and JP when both complained about James' performance, and from there on, it was never the same. Pure speculation on my part, but I think there's some truth to that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1564 on: January 03, 2020, 10:21:44 AM »

I think that James was really upset with that conference call with MP and JP when both complained about James' performance, and from there on, it was never the same. Pure speculation on my part, but I think there's some truth to that.

Is that in "Lifting Shadows"?  Why the animosity then for Mike and not John? 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1565 on: January 03, 2020, 11:41:30 AM »
I know Mike talks to and occasionally hangs out with Jordan and JP but it made me happy to see he hung out with John Myung on New Year's Eve.
Cool to see! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, they were extremely close in the early days. But to say that things went south (as in implying that MP and JL's relationship started to fail) is simply hypothesizing. Yes, THE BAND spoke to JL about his performance level not being what it used to be, and they gave him an ultimatum to improve or leave, but just because MP is the one who spoke about it in Lifting Shadows, this does not mean JP nor the other guys weren't also in agreement. In fact, since JP is the most concerned about having consistent performances from show to show, I'd wager he felt just as strongly as MP about JL's need to step up his game. Even then, if you read that account in Lifting Shadows, you will see that there were more disagreements between MP and JL long before the shape up or ship out conference call. So theoretically, it could go back even earlier. But I don't believe that was the case. More than likely it seemed that their relationship began to fracture later, around the time of the tour for BCaSL.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1566 on: January 03, 2020, 11:46:57 AM »

I believe they were good friends through FII and SFAM is where it started to sour. From Lifting Shadows they mentioned a time when Mike told James that he was going to have Theresa sing the "move on be brave" part during TSCO at a show and they almost came to blows.

SDOIT was when it probably got REALLY bad.

Is that in "Lifting Shadows"?  Why the animosity then for Mike and not John? 

I've mentioned this a lot in the past but I think that call was 95-99% Mike. I've noticed Mike is quick to take credit for a lot of things unless it is controversial, then it is a "we" decision. If you look at the quotes in Lifting Shadows (as well as all of Mike's comments publicly, online, etc), he had a big problem with James and it doesn't seem like the others did. The only comments in Lifting Shadows were Jordan saying that he was too new to have an opinion, Myung didn't comment at all, Mike was really bothered by James, and John was very passive in his criticism of James. From memory, all John had to say was, "We wanted to ask James, 'are you even into this anymore'?" He mentioned that James seemed to be in a bad mood a lot and they were concerned about him. I don't think John even mentioned looking for a different singer, wanting a different direction, etc. Makes me wonder if Mike made one of his patented exhaustive arguments, that by his own admission, he wouldn't drop until other people went along with. John may have finally been like, "all right, I can agree we need to talk to him" but never had any intention of ever asking him to leave unless things got much, much worse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1567 on: January 03, 2020, 12:10:50 PM »

Yes, they were extremely close in the early days. But to say that things went south (as in implying that MP and JL's relationship started to fail) is simply hypothesizing. Yes, THE BAND spoke to JL about his performance level not being what it used to be, and they gave him an ultimatum to improve or leave, but just because MP is the one who spoke about it in Lifting Shadows, this does not mean JP nor the other guys weren't also in agreement. In fact, since JP is the most concerned about having consistent performances from show to show, I'd wager he felt just as strongly as MP about JL's need to step up his game. Even then, if you read that account in Lifting Shadows, you will see that there were more disagreements between MP and JL long before the shape up or ship out conference call. So theoretically, it could go back even earlier. But I don't believe that was the case. More than likely it seemed that their relationship began to fracture later, around the time of the tour for BCaSL.

What happened around the tour for BC&SL between the two?

I've mentioned this a lot in the past but I think that call was 95-99% Mike. I've noticed Mike is quick to take credit for a lot of things unless it is controversial, then it is a "we" decision. If you look at the quotes in Lifting Shadows (as well as all of Mike's comments publicly, online, etc), he had a big problem with James and it doesn't seem like the others did. The only comments in Lifting Shadows were Jordan saying that he was too new to have an opinion, Myung didn't comment at all, Mike was really bothered by James, and John was very passive in his criticism of James. From memory, all John had to say was, "We wanted to ask James, 'are you even into this anymore'?" He mentioned that James seemed to be in a bad mood a lot and they were concerned about him. I don't think John even mentioned looking for a different singer, wanting a different direction, etc. Makes me wonder if Mike made one of his patented exhaustive arguments, that by his own admission, he wouldn't drop until other people went along with. John may have finally been like, "all right, I can agree we need to talk to him" but never had any intention of ever asking him to leave unless things got much, much worse.

That reminds me of his post (I think it was on his forum, but it's hard to remember) in the later 00's where he said he and the band talked about Kevin Moore and Space Dye Vest one night and they all agreed both were overrated, and my thought was always he was probably very verbal about it, and the rest of the band, not wanting to argue about it, probably laughed or nodded, and he took that as total agreement.  Of course I was not there, but given the kind words JLB and JP have had about Moore over the years combined with the fact that Space Dye Vest was played every night on the Along for the Ride tour, it just isn't believable that the entire band agreed with him on that.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1568 on: January 04, 2020, 01:43:41 PM »

That reminds me of his post (I think it was on his forum, but it's hard to remember) in the later 00's where he said he and the band talked about Kevin Moore and Space Dye Vest one night and they all agreed both were overrated, and my thought was always he was probably very verbal about it, and the rest of the band, not wanting to argue about it, probably laughed or nodded, and he took that as total agreement.  Of course I was not there, but given the kind words JLB and JP have had about Moore over the years combined with the fact that Space Dye Vest was played every night on the Along for the Ride tour, it just isn't believable that the entire band agreed with him on that.

Ya know, they may have just said that to not start an argument but I also don't doubt that they do agree with that. Of course, him broadcasting that opinion in no way respects the substance of the rest of their opinions regarding the song. Did they follow it up with, "But we should still play it sometime." Were they saying that compared to Metropolis or In the Name of God that SDV was overrated? Did they think that but not want to bring it up because of the can of worms that it would open? Just shows how unnecessary his comments could be and how his "I do this for the fans!" mentality really boils down to, "I do this for me and hope the fans also appreciate it" which do be fair, often happens. But to be real, it doesn't always. The fans wanted SDV and he, and only he, didn't.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1569 on: January 04, 2020, 02:07:45 PM »

That's cool! three down, one to go!

Really, of course they're all adults and they're entitled to have the friendships they like and leave beside people they don't like, but I want MP and James on good speaking terms way more than I want Mike back in DT again. In fact, I don't want him back in DT at all, and I don't mean it in a petty sense - I never wanted him to leave back in the first place.... but he left, I moved on and so did the band; all things being equal I would have liked the band to stay the same, it didn't happen, and now I want the current version of DT to stay the same.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1570 on: January 04, 2020, 03:53:52 PM »
In fact, I don't want him back in DT at all, and I don't mean it in a petty sense - I never wanted him to leave back in the first place.... but he left, I moved on and so did the band; all things being equal I would have liked the band to stay the same, it didn't happen, and now I want the current version of DT to stay the same.

Well put. This is exactly how I feel.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1571 on: January 04, 2020, 05:01:18 PM »
Did not see this posted anywhere.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PUOnH1bVx0E

Portnoy struggling to keep up naming Beatles songs with his daughter.

Have to admit I was a bit surprised that it wasn't even remotely close. But it kind of makes sense because of the reaction time deficit.

She'd still probably kill 80 to 90 percent of Beatles fans from her generation though. Pretty impressive.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1572 on: January 04, 2020, 05:04:40 PM »

That's a video I wouldn't mind seeing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1573 on: January 04, 2020, 07:58:08 PM »

Ya know, they may have just said that to not start an argument but I also don't doubt that they do agree with that. Of course, him broadcasting that opinion in no way respects the substance of the rest of their opinions regarding the song. Did they follow it up with, "But we should still play it sometime." Were they saying that compared to Metropolis or In the Name of God that SDV was overrated? Did they think that but not want to bring it up because of the can of worms that it would open? Just shows how unnecessary his comments could be and how his "I do this for the fans!" mentality really boils down to, "I do this for me and hope the fans also appreciate it" which do be fair, often happens. But to be real, it doesn't always. The fans wanted SDV and he, and only he, didn't.

Oh, I am sure the band would have agreed with the "Kevin Moore is overrated" narrative if it was framed to them at the time by Portnoy as "DT fans online think we haven't been great since Kev left," or something to that effect, since the band was obviously not going to think that their best was more than 10 years prior.   And since Portnoy, by his own admission, focuses on the biggest criticism, even if it is a tiny one in a sea of praise, I have no doubt that his spin to the band at the time was something to that effect where the band probably did think, "Yeah, those DT fans are crazy to think anything like that."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1574 on: January 06, 2020, 08:18:51 AM »
My interview with Mike was published today on Sonic Perspectives. Check it out on the link below:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-mike-portnoy/