Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 307977 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #1295 on: November 12, 2019, 05:09:11 PM »
Honestly, MP brought this on himself, so it is tough to feel bad for him, particularly the way he has carried himself. But a part of me still does feel bad. He made a grave mistake, one that he'll never get over, and he watches something he helped build (much more than the drumming and lyric writing) thrive, while he's jumping from thing to thing and working like a dog to keep the lifestyle he had prior to the split. And he's not getting any younger. The mega touring and being on the road with a gazillion projects can only go on for so long.
Lots of psychoanalyzing and assumptions here, even though I think you're on the right trail. I think he took a pay cut, but I don't really think he's working like a dog; his kids are adults now, his house is nice, I just don't see a man working like a dog to maintain his lifestyle in Mike. But it's a fact that he wanted a break from DT and got a permanent split because they hired a guy who left a full-time teaching position at the college they dropped out of. No chance of special performances because his relationships with some guys in the band have deteriorated (in particular, one guy he voted to replace before - James - has outlasted Mike's tenure in DT), no releasing and performing things he had planned like the 12SS and finishing the Black Clouds tour properly, no huge release weeks with tens of thousands of fans buzzing about every piece of content Mike posted and the music they are hearing, no writing setlists with ten albums to choose from. Looking at everything he missed out on in the past ten years, even without analyzing how he must feel about it, makes me feel pretty bad. Just because he got tired of those things in the moment doesn't mean he wanted to lose them forever. But what's done is done, and time heals all wounds.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1296 on: November 12, 2019, 05:42:27 PM »
Personally, I find it quite ironic that this was part of a discussion about fan reactions to things and how the fanbase over-analyses everything, and we've had pages of analysis here to discuss it. :lol

It's the only thing we truly excel at. :lol

Let's IM Rich on Facebook to talk about it some more.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1297 on: November 12, 2019, 07:05:17 PM »
Personally, I find it quite ironic that this was part of a discussion about fan reactions to things and how the fanbase over-analyses everything, and we've had pages of analysis here to discuss it. :lol

It's the only thing we truly excel at. :lol

Let's IM Rich on Facebook to talk about it some more.

I'm game...

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1298 on: November 12, 2019, 07:13:03 PM »
Personally, I think this is funny and not a big deal at all.

I believe he was being "Tongue in Cheek" but even if he was being dead serious it's not a big deal at all.

He is not in the band anymore, he can say whatever he wants.   He is a GIGANTIC reason we all fell in love with this band and impacted all of our lives for the better and I can't understand why people constantly bash him on this board.

His personal relationship or falling out with DT is probably difficult for him and nobody on this board or anywhere else can fully understand how it feels so IMO, he can say whatever he wants.

Ding ding ding!

He’s a rock n roll drummer, not the Secretary of State conducting sensitive peace negotiations.

He was asked about LTE and made a dumb joke. JLB hates his guts, and the band has made it fairly clear they want nothing to with him, professionally, since he left in 2010. I know we are passionate about the band but calling him names like a “petulant child” or boycotting him simply because he occasionally puts his foot in his mouth seems like an overreaction. Let’s face it, band disputes/breakups rarely bring out the best in people. If you compare all of this to the post breakup shenanigans of KISS, Van Halen, even the Beatles...the DT/Portnoy saga is pretty tame.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1299 on: November 12, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
Mike is like that person that posts all his or her problems on Facebook.

We all are tired of seeing the drama. 

That's the point. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1300 on: November 12, 2019, 08:39:13 PM »
Personally, I think this is funny and not a big deal at all.

I believe he was being "Tongue in Cheek" but even if he was being dead serious it's not a big deal at all.

He is not in the band anymore, he can say whatever he wants.   He is a GIGANTIC reason we all fell in love with this band and impacted all of our lives for the better and I can't understand why people constantly bash him on this board.

His personal relationship or falling out with DT is probably difficult for him and nobody on this board or anywhere else can fully understand how it feels so IMO, he can say whatever he wants.

Ding ding ding!

He’s a rock n roll drummer, not the Secretary of State conducting sensitive peace negotiations.

He was asked about LTE and made a dumb joke. JLB hates his guts, and the band has made it fairly clear they want nothing to with him, professionally, since he left in 2010. I know we are passionate about the band but calling him names like a “petulant child” or boycotting him simply because he occasionally puts his foot in his mouth seems like an overreaction. Let’s face it, band disputes/breakups rarely bring out the best in people. If you compare all of this to the post breakup shenanigans of KISS, Van Halen, even the Beatles...the DT/Portnoy saga is pretty tame.
Agreed, there are far more important things to be talking about than MP's internet life, but this is showbiz. That's the way gossip in the entertainment industry has always worked, except the internet has made it all much more intense.

Yeah, this is probably being over-discussed right now but as it has been put several times MP brought this on himself. We follow closely both DT and MP because we love their work, because we've given them not only our money but our time and some of us have even invested greatly in traveling abroad just to see them perform live because they're so important to us; so whenever these things happen it's only natural we're going to get upset and we're going to be vocal about it. I know it's not a big deal and I agree with the sentiment that this is just MP being MP and we should just let it go (because, as you say, this is absurd rock n' roll drama), but I don't see any reason we cannot state what we think about the situation. If there's a place where we can we as vocal as we want and absurdly analytical over things like these, it's this forum (or at least I've always thought of this place like that).

This subject matter is probably going to die in a week or so, only to be necro'd in a couple of months (or weeks?) until Mike Portnoy comes out of the shadow to do or say something very Portnoy-ish (as it has happened non-stop for the past 10 years) and people will talk about it again. It's just the way it works.

I, for one, am enjoying posting in this forum again. It's been months since I felt the need to come and actually talk about DT-related stuff with other fellow, passionate and intense fans of the band (and MP, for what it takes).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1301 on: November 12, 2019, 08:52:21 PM »
I think he probably regrets leaving. To me, it just seems like for him it is quantity over quality. Not saying his projects aren't quality, but it's rarely what he talks about. It's always how many bands he is in or how many albums he has done. That seems to be very important to him judging by his comments.

I think it’s been discussed before, but releasing that many albums every year could actually work against him, IMO. He’s got to a place where he’s in so many new releases that we have no problem skipping or ignoring some of them because there’s another one coming in a couple months that we might enjoy more. I feel like he’s trying to please everybody with a lot of different albums and bands, but now every album feels just like “oh, another MP album” as opposed to an important event fans eagerly await.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1302 on: November 12, 2019, 08:56:55 PM »
I think he probably regrets leaving. To me, it just seems like for him it is quantity over quality. Not saying his projects aren't quality, but it's rarely what he talks about. It's always how many bands he is in or how many albums he has done. That seems to be very important to him judging by his comments.

I think it’s been discussed before, but releasing that many albums every year could actually work against him, IMO. He’s got to a place where he’s in so many new releases that we have no problem skipping or ignoring some of them because there’s another one coming in a couple months that we might enjoy more. I feel like he’s trying to please everybody with a lot of different albums and bands, but now every album feels just like “oh, another MP album” as opposed to an important event fans eagerly await.
This did happen to me, so I agree to the sentiment. I feel that MP is all over the place, and that kinda makes my eagerness to hear him play dim quite a bit.

It's like: Oh, another MP record. Yay.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1303 on: November 12, 2019, 09:30:43 PM »
That can cut both ways.

On the one hand, there are bands like Radiohead that don't do new records that often, and I often wish they would, but when they do release one, it just feels very special.

On the other hand, as a Neal Morse junkie, I sometimes marvel at how lucky we are to have gotten so much music out of him over the last 25 years (6 Spock's, 4 Transatlantic, 3 Flying Colors, 12 solo albums that I own, 3 Neal Morse Band), yet they come out with such frequency that they have the tendency to not feel as special because of that "Oh, another new one" feeling.

So yeah, it can certainly cut both ways, in both scenarios.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1304 on: November 12, 2019, 10:28:22 PM »

This did happen to me, so I agree to the sentiment. I feel that MP is all over the place, and that kinda makes my eagerness to hear him play dim quite a bit.

It's like: Oh, another MP record. Yay.

I think his bands are diverse enough where this really isn’t a factor. At this point I just view each project on its own whether not I get excited for it. If it’s another Transatlantic or NMB release I’ll be interested; if it’s another Winery Dogs album I’m less excited, and if it’s Flying Colors or Sons of Apollo I’ll be absolutely apathetic. I don’t think it’s really hurt him that much.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1305 on: November 12, 2019, 10:32:38 PM »
We went so far off-topic talking about his comment that we've come full circle & started talking about his music again. :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1306 on: November 12, 2019, 10:34:51 PM »
No one is saying he doesn't have the RIGHT to say whatever he wants.

It's just disheartening and disappointing that THIS is what the fuck he wants to say.

It's known as manners and civility.  Grow up, MP.

No kidding.  Just cuz people *can* say whatever they want doesn't mean they *should*.  It's way easier to go through life telling everyone to "fuck off" than it is to adjust yourself to your surroundings.

And, seriously, just shut the fuck up, MP, you have a tattoo that says "no regrets" but that's a pretty selfish way of thinking to constantly justify all the shitty things you say.  Anyone who truly says they have no regrets is full of shit.  I don't regret my meal choice for lunch today but there are numerous things I'd like to have done differently throughout my life.

I wonder if/when JP/JR, or maybe the already have, take MP aside and suggest/tell him to grow the fuck up and stop trashing our James or anyone/anything else DT does.  Sometimes you gotta give tough love and ultimatums to people acting like MP does.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1307 on: November 12, 2019, 10:37:36 PM »
Not to pile on the guy, but this line jumped out to me:
Quote from: Mike Portnoy
It's been over nine years and I've got dozens of different bands and projects. I've put out literally 40 albums since that time. Even DREAM THEATER — and I'm not saying this to [criticize] them — but even they have only put out four albums since I've been gone.

Yeah, but 4 albums in 9 years is nothing to balk at and one of those 4 was a sprawling, dense double concept album. 4 albums and 4 major tours is pretty good, especially for an older band. I know he didn't mean anything negative by it, but it's a pretty poor comparison. 40 albums, but are all of them good? It's boasting a number that really isn't that impressive, at least not to me. I'll take 4 quality albums over 40 albums that to my ears are a lot of copy/paste/feel rushed. Subjective, I know, but it's what I see.

I always felt bad for A7X because they just lost their drummer and best friend and MP kinda put them in an awkward, unfair spot. He did a lot of great things for them, recording and filling in for The Rev, but the whole Fall 2010 thing was really shitty for them to have to go through. I remember that Zakky Vengeance interview from that winter where I sensed a lot of frustration from him on how the whole MP thing happened.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: November 12, 2019, 11:02:46 PM »

It's just disheartening and disappointing that THIS is what the fuck he wants to say.

No kidding.  Just cuz people *can* say whatever they want doesn't mean they *should*.  It's way easier to go through life telling everyone to "fuck off" than it is to adjust yourself to your surroundings.

I agree. I really want to post an obligatory PetDICK!!! post now, but it doesn't mean that I should. :neverusethis:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1309 on: November 12, 2019, 11:15:19 PM »
Lol ooof. Today is clearly Poop on Portnoy Day.

“His ‘No Regrets’ tattoo is stoopid”
“The 12-Step Suite is overrated”
“His 12-Step Suite lyrics are hypocritical cause he’s a meanie”
“He makes too many damn albums”
“He needs to stop saying he “writes” songs, he’s just an arranger/lyricist”
“I haven’t felt compelled to post on this forum for years! F-YOU PORTNOY!”
“I just feel bad for A7X”

I’ll join in;

I heard he likes to drown little puppies in his spare time. Thankfully, with all his projects he doesn’t have any spare time.

I also have on good scientific authority every time he does the RLKK pattern a honey bee dies. His Shattered Fortress tour is solely responsible for the present day bee crisis.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:57:52 PM by Volante99 »

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #1310 on: November 13, 2019, 12:11:07 AM »

I’ll join in;

I heard he likes to drown little puppies in his spare time.

*Puppies on acid

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1311 on: November 13, 2019, 12:39:50 AM »
Puppies in acid**

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1312 on: November 13, 2019, 02:52:22 AM »
Great drummer. Me likey his drum thumpz.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1313 on: November 13, 2019, 05:05:46 AM »
Wait...

Portnoy left Dream Theater?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1314 on: November 13, 2019, 06:36:34 AM »
Not to pile on the guy, but this line jumped out to me:
Quote from: Mike Portnoy
It's been over nine years and I've got dozens of different bands and projects. I've put out literally 40 albums since that time. Even DREAM THEATER — and I'm not saying this to [criticize] them — but even they have only put out four albums since I've been gone.

Yeah, but 4 albums in 9 years is nothing to balk at and one of those 4 was a sprawling, dense double concept album. 4 albums and 4 major tours is pretty good, especially for an older band. I know he didn't mean anything negative by it, but it's a pretty poor comparison. 40 albums, but are all of them good? It's boasting a number that really isn't that impressive, at least not to me. I'll take 4 quality albums over 40 albums that to my ears are a lot of copy/paste/feel rushed. Subjective, I know, but it's what I see.

...and A7X, the band he was speaking to when he said that quote, has released two albums since Nightmare. So....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1315 on: November 13, 2019, 06:44:43 AM »

I’ll join in;

I heard he likes to drown little puppies in his spare time. Thankfully, with all his projects he doesn’t have any spare time.

I also have on good scientific authority every time he does the RLKK pattern a honey bee dies. His Shattered Fortress tour is solely responsible for the present day bee crisis.

Nobody said any of those things.  Look, if you love the guy so much that you can't take seeing honest criticism of his actual actions, I don't know what to tell you.  But making up fake straw man arguments that nobody is making just completely undermines your argument.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1316 on: November 13, 2019, 07:37:10 AM »

I’ll join in;

Nobody said any of those things.  Look, if you love the guy so much that you can't take seeing honest criticism of his actual actions, I don't know what to tell you.  But making up fake straw man arguments that nobody is making just completely undermines your argument.

What do you mean nobody said any of those things? A couple of those are NEARLY direct quotes (some of them are in the Mike Portnoy thread going on in the main DT section). Some of them are meant to be a bit exaggerated/summarizations. That post is less of an argument and more an observation, meant to be facetious.  Look, I know he is NOT popular around here, and I’ve made criticisms of his personal actions numerous times, and most of the negativity here is completely justifiable. But once we start calling his tattoos “selfish” or questioning the lyrical hypocrisy of the 12-Step Suite when (most of us) have never even met the man, I’m going to raise my hand and speak up and say, hey, to me, that crosses a line. Anyway, that’s all I have to say about that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1317 on: November 13, 2019, 07:41:26 AM »
Hmmm, sounds like someone crossed the crooked step...:P :P

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1318 on: November 13, 2019, 07:45:50 AM »

I’ll join in;

To add to bosk’s response: you’re clearly not comfortable debating this with us, so why bother? It’s ok if you think we’re all being unfair to Portnoy and you feel the urge to come out and defend him, but the moment you start going like “YOU’RE ALL WRONG! STOP IT!” it basically removes all the weight of your arguments. If you feel like you want to hear other people say how mean we’re being to the great MP and talk about his great deeds, his social media is a better place to be.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1319 on: November 13, 2019, 07:46:53 AM »
I think you left out while this is tiring as a fan we still follow his music.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1320 on: November 13, 2019, 08:00:36 AM »
Doubt it but I wonder if Petrucci (since they are *somewhat* close again.) calls Portnoy and say: Stop that and make public apology or something like that. Highly unlikely but who knows.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1321 on: November 13, 2019, 08:03:08 AM »

I’ll join in;

To add to bosk’s response: you’re clearly not comfortable debating this with us, so why bother? It’s ok if you think we’re all being unfair to Portnoy and you feel the urge to come out and defend him, but the moment you start going like “YOU’RE ALL WRONG! STOP IT!” it basically removes all the weight of your arguments. If you feel like you want to hear other people say how mean we’re being to the great MP and talk about his great deeds, his social media is a better place to be.

Haha he never said "you're all wrong stop it".     He's facetiously pointing out the hypocrisy of this board as people just come on here and bash the guy for making a comment bashing a guy.  Portnoy probably hates Labrie... if you ask me, a tiny little tongue in cheek comment where he may or may not have known he was on the air shows restraint. 

Does anybody know anything about the personal relationship of Portnoy and Labrie.... maybe Labrie was a huge dick to Portnoy....

I love Labrie and Portnoy but i'm not about to dump on a legend that brought us I&W and SFAM for making a stupid comment that may or may not have been a joke.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1322 on: November 13, 2019, 08:07:58 AM »
"Ya'll are being hypocrites bashing on Mike Portnoy. I'm not about to dump on MP. Also, maybe JLB was a huge dick, idk"
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1323 on: November 13, 2019, 08:09:51 AM »
Does anybody know anything about the personal relationship of Portnoy and Labrie.... maybe Labrie was a huge dick to Portnoy....

Maybe. But since James never makes these kind of comments about him, he still comes out on top.

I remember a forumer joked that for all we know JLB calls him every night taunting him about his absence from DT or whatever but since we don't know about it, we just see James taking the high road. We can't say the same about Mike.

And I agree that he made a comment in jest and he was not spitting hatred and fuming from his ears, but still, as pointed out time and time again: he should know better by now.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1324 on: November 13, 2019, 08:12:37 AM »

I’ll join in;

Where did I say you were ALL wrong? I'm not uncomfortable discussing any of this (although yes, I agree defending Portnoy on DTF right after his comments about LaBrie is an exercise in futility...or stupidity). I'm not even arguing anything at this point. It was just a comment on the state of the forum how Portnoy has turned into a bit of whipping boy the past couple of days, laced with a bit of humor, that appears to have NOT gone over well lol.

Chill people

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: November 13, 2019, 08:12:48 AM »
if you ask me, a tiny little tongue in cheek comment where he may or may not have known he was on the air shows restraint. 

:rollin

ok

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1326 on: November 13, 2019, 08:21:49 AM »
"Ya'll are being hypocrites bashing on Mike Portnoy. I'm not about to dump on MP. Also, maybe JLB was a huge dick, idk"

Yeah.... the point being that nobody knows anything about this.  I didn't say Labrie was a dick... I'm saying I have no clue.  I love Labrie because I love his musical talent, I have no idea what he does in his personal life.

However, rather than give a legend in Portnoy the benefit of the doubt, you all just insult him.   To me, it's bizarre how much people bash Portnoy on this site.   

You are all free to do as you please.... just seems strange to me as the guy was such a huge part of a band you all love.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: November 13, 2019, 08:24:04 AM »
The benefit of doubt ship sailed away a long time ago. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1328 on: November 13, 2019, 08:28:03 AM »

And yet there are pages and pages here of people metaphorically telling Mike to "fuck off" (I absolutely believe that not buying Mike's art because of things he says in the press is a metaphorical "fuck off") and utterly failing to adjust themselves to the "surroundings" (i.e. that Mike is as Mike does, and that this is between Mike and James).   

Pot.  Kettle.  Black.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1329 on: November 13, 2019, 08:36:42 AM »

And yet there are pages and pages here of people metaphorically telling Mike to "fuck off" (I absolutely believe that not buying Mike's art because of things he says in the press is a metaphorical "fuck off") and utterly failing to adjust themselves to the "surroundings" (i.e. that Mike is as Mike does, and that this is between Mike and James).   

Pot.  Kettle.  Black.

Uhhh, hold up. I refused to buy Psychotic Symphony because of the way Derek and Mike were talking about DT and self-fellating their egos. Has nothing to do with me thinking "fuck off", it's a refusal to buy someone's art because I find their behavior and rhetoric distasteful. You can associate that with "fuck off" if you want, but that's not my perception. Just because Mike and James have personal or private beef does NOT mean I can't make the decision to not financially support MP's work if I find their behavior distasteful, and I don't think that equates to a metaphorical "fuck off." Hell with all the albums I still have to purchase this year, that behavior just diminishes my desire to spend money on MP's work. It's not spiteful, it's a matter of prioritizing where my money goes.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"