Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 312383 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2010, 07:55:24 PM »
My interest in A7X's doings have gone from like a "6" or "7" outta ten to like a "3."

This has got to have been a tough year for Mike. I genuinely feel bad for him. I really hope he's able to pull himself out of this and do some awesome new projects.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:06:48 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2010, 08:06:18 PM »
My interest in A7X's doings have gone from like a "6" or "7" "0" outta ten to like a "0."

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2010, 01:03:57 AM »

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »
A7X statement about MP

For the past few months, we've been blessed with Mike Portnoy's talent and humanity.  When Mike agreed to tour with us, it was only through the end of 2010.  We always knew we'd need to find another solution for 2011 and beyond.  And it's time for us to take that next step.

We know we are not ready to add another permanent member of Avenged Sevenfold.  We don't know if we will ever be. But if we do, it will only be with someone who is not only a brilliant drummer, but also someone we've gotten to know well on the road and off, and who you the fans have had a chance to get to know, and hopefully accept. In other words, in this family, we take these steps together, band and our extended fan family.

We are lucky to be surrounded by so many friends, many of whom knew Jimmy very well personally, as well as our band and Jimmy's drumming talent and style.  These friends have introduced us to several amazing drummers.  We have decided to take one of them out starting in January. He will not be a member of a7x.  He will be someone you and we are getting to know. Perhaps this drummer will be a fit. Perhaps not. One thing is for sure. Over time we will find someone who helps us continue our quest to make the music we love for the fans we love.

Mike and the band agree that can't be him. Why? Long before there was an Avenged Sevenfold, there were members of this band who looked up to Mike and, in Jimmy's case, learned a lot from watching Mike play. He is a brilliant writer, producer and of course drummer. Because of that, the world and we would always see it as Avenged Sevenfold with Mike Portnoy.  We take a lot of pride in A7X being about something greater then any individuals.  Its about the music, the fans and the friends and family we have as well as continuing our best friends legacy.

Please give whoever we try your love and support....and the benefit of the doubt. They won't be Jimmy.  Who could be? But he will be himself, with his own special talents and creativity. And that's all we could ever look for.

Thank you again from the bottom of our hearts for everything you've done love and support us and help us get back on our feet.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2010, 01:37:44 PM »
Good statement. Acceptable for everyone I think.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Freko

« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2010, 08:43:44 AM »
some dude over at mp forum claims he has a interview with MP from a dutch magazin where MP says that he called the guys to say he wanted to join them in the studio in Jan.. but got the cold hand there.

https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2621861.aspx

:corn

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2010, 09:08:07 AM »
*assumes this is all correct*

Well good for Dream Theater for having moved on.  I'm surprised that he already called back this early, I guess just because Avenged Sevenfold didn't work out he'll just settle for Dream Theater, eh?  No.  I don't really like the way he says "even considered throwing all his pain and sorrow aside", still playing the lost puppy who was abandoned by his family.  Like Dream Theater had wronged him or something.  As much as I would like to see that energetic man behind that huge drum kit again, he made the wrong decisions, and he should have to live with them. 

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »

Well good for Dream Theater for having moved on.  I'm surprised that he already called back this early, I guess just because Avenged Sevenfold didn't work out he'll just settle for Dream Theater, eh?  No.  I don't really like the way he says "even considered throwing all his pain and sorrow aside", still playing the lost puppy who was abandoned by his family.  Like Dream Theater had wronged him or something.  As much as I would like to see that energetic man behind that huge drum kit again, he made the wrong decisions, and he should have to live with them. 

According to that link the interview was in November before he knew what would happen with A7X.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2010, 09:15:27 AM »

According to that link the interview was in November before he knew what would happen with A7X.

Ah ok, my bad.  But it is possible that he was already aware of the fact that he would not be staying with Avenged Sevenfold, as he was probably made aware some time before the press release..

Offline Freko

« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2010, 09:23:01 AM »
Ah ok, my bad.  But it is possible that he was already aware of the fact that he would not be staying with Avenged Sevenfold, as he was probably made aware some time before the press release..

exactly my thoughts.. and now the "only one you can trust is family" tweet seems a bit clearer..but ofc itīs just speculations. but I can see him being sad if the doors been closed..

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2010, 09:24:17 AM »
He pretty much closed the door on himself.

Online Mladen

« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2010, 09:28:04 AM »
He pretty much closed the door on himself.
Indeed he did.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2010, 10:01:16 AM »
some dude over at mp forum claims he has a interview with MP from a dutch magazin where MP says that he called the guys to say he wanted to join them in the studio in Jan.. but got the cold hand there.

https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2621861.aspx

:corn
Just posting the actual quote:

I received the december edition of 'Aardschok' today, and there's an interview with Mike in it, held in November when he played De Melkweg with A7X.
In this interview he says he is really sad about how things went and that he never really wanted DT to end this way for him and he 'even' considered throwing all his pain and sorrow aside and called the guys to say he would be joining them in the studio, so no hiatus at all, in january to save DT how it was meant to be, but the rest of DT closed the door for him since they've already had auditions and picked their new guy.

Interesting story imo.

And I love Mike, and will like whatever he does/records/plays, but I do understand the rest of DT's choice in this situation.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2010, 10:19:38 AM »
That's crazy talk.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2010, 10:21:49 AM »
If that is true...that is amazing! Not in a good or bad way..but in an amazing way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2010, 12:03:53 PM »
It says he considered it, not that he did it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2010, 02:19:59 PM »
Yeah as I said in the other thread, I'm going to treat this as speculation unless Mike or the band confirm it. Although from that wording it doesn't remotely sound like he asked to rejoin, more that he brought up the possibility.

Ah well, the people for any little thing to pick over about MP will be overjoyed at the amount of speculation this will provide. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2010, 03:10:46 PM »
Even through all the drama with the DT break-up, I still respect Mike as a musician and to a certain degree, a person.

However, the people over at MP's forum that worship him to no end, that I have still have difficulty with. I just needed to get that out, because reading that forum frustrate's me to no end and I just read it this morning
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2010, 04:29:32 PM »
I have a hard time believing that.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2010, 04:45:25 PM »
He didn't do it.

Offline crazee_canuck

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2010, 06:40:38 AM »
Speaking of that...

Mike,

You have been an influence since my formative years as a drummer...
<message edited by Portnoy on Thursday, October 07, 2010 3:35 AM>

wtf?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2010, 06:45:56 AM »
That was my first thought after reading it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2010, 06:52:15 AM »
That opening line was definitely there when it was first posted. I'm 99% certain the edit was simply changing the thread title to include (w MP response on Page 3), especially as the edit is almost the exact same time as he posted.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2010, 06:59:02 AM »
Hope this is ok. Pasting the translation a poster on MP's site put up (DreamTrain).

"Sure, in the beginning the guys were sad,angry and confused, but on this moment they want to prove they can do this without me. They WILL find a great drummer, there are hundreds of drummers out there better than me, I'v heard the names of some of the auditioners but I don't know who they will pick in the end. I spoke the guys a couple of weeks ago and checked if there was a possibility that I could help 'em out in the studio in January.
I even begged them to come to a solution before announcing the new drummer or take other decisions.
They want to prove they can do it without me and keep the door closed.
So I can't return, even if I want to.
I reached out my hand, teared my soul inside out, but it didn't help.
I look forward to the day I'll join DT...Dream Theater is mine, that stool belongs to me...
It's in their hands now, I even proposed to go into the studio in january, although I still don't want to, mentally, but I am willing to give anything to keep peace within the band and for the fans...."

of course it's a translation and only as good as the person translating, but sounds like he asked to me. And was rebuffed.
What struck me over there was how few posts the members have (says me with only 164 over here). Seems alot of old timers either got banned, don't visit there much or know when to stay out of a discussion.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2010, 07:04:50 AM »
My interpretation is the same as it was.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2010, 07:33:59 AM »
If MP returned even though he didn't want then we would've gotten another half-assed DT release.

As for him saying that the stool belongs to him, I disagree, it DID belong to him, he left thus giving it up.

This is all assuming the translation is correct.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2010, 08:38:55 AM »
Hope this is ok. Pasting the translation a poster on MP's site put up (DreamTrain).

"Sure, in the beginning the guys were sad,angry and confused, but on this moment they want to prove they can do this without me. They WILL find a great drummer, there are hundreds of drummers out there better than me, I'v heard the names of some of the auditioners but I don't know who they will pick in the end. I spoke the guys a couple of weeks ago and checked if there was a possibility that I could help 'em out in the studio in January.
I even begged them to come to a solution before announcing the new drummer or take other decisions.
They want to prove they can do it without me and keep the door closed.
So I can't return, even if I want to.

I reached out my hand, teared my soul inside out, but it didn't help.
I look forward to the day I'll join DT...Dream Theater is mine, that stool belongs to me...
It's in their hands now, I even proposed to go into the studio in january, although I still don't want to, mentally, but I am willing to give anything to keep peace within the band and for the fans...."

of course it's a translation and only as good as the person translating, but sounds like he asked to me. And was rebuffed.
What struck me over there was how few posts the members have (says me with only 164 over here). Seems alot of old timers either got banned, don't visit there much or know when to stay out of a discussion.

For the first in bold, i am so happy if it is true. I really believe that DT will make a great record because of the pressure they have to prove they can continue without MP.

As for Mike's quote about DT being his property or something, i find it at least disturbing, but i keep my doubts because of the translation.
Maybe Mike will eventually understand that he was quite arrogant in this whole situation, and he might get his ego in control.

About MP forum, all i have to say is that after Mike's departure, it is only for people who worship him, as every different opinion gets deleted, and many people who politely express their thoughts get banned.
Unfortunately after the recent events, Mike continues to lose respect from me.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2010, 11:12:19 AM »
Holy crap.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2010, 12:07:28 PM »
 :facepalm:

Why can't he just leave this alone?

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2010, 12:45:25 PM »
From MP's twitter:
"On my way to Nashville to record Neal Morse's Testimony 2...his love and positive spirit will be PERFECT for me right now"

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2010, 12:50:01 PM »
:tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2010, 12:53:20 PM »
Awesome, those two are good friends so this should be really good for him to relax and get some perspective!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2010, 01:13:39 PM »
Awesome, those two are good friends so this should be really good for him to relax and get some perspective!

And we'll be getting some good music out of it.  :tup

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2010, 01:18:12 PM »

And we'll be getting some good music out of it.  :tup

That! Although... I don't know, Testimony 2, sounds like his lifestory after Testimony 1. Which is basically everything in the name of God. I think the music will be like only the happy 'christian' parts of Testimony 1.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.