Author Topic: What is your mindset?  (Read 4342 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: What is your mindset?
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2010, 04:09:15 PM »
Dream Theater is my favorite band of all time, and probably will be forever because of their massive influence on my musical tastes and playing style in general - unless I experience a major shift in my musical interests...which hasn't happened in the last 12+ years.  That said, they are not my favorite artist right now and I have found my listening of Dream Theater dwindling over the past couple years.  Part of the reason is that their last four albums are not as good as 4 of their last 5 (and maybe FII is close to making it 5 of the last 5), but the bigger reason is I have an ever expanding music library to draw from because I'm not completely settled in.  Granted, my taste is of a narrow range, but there is still a lot to discover in that range.  No one reads my posts, so I'll write motherfucker here to see if anyone notices.  I've probably listened to Spock's Beard more than any other 5 bands combined in the last 6 months.  That makes them my favorite band right now, and they are one of my favorite bands, but I only discovered them because I found Dream Theater.  I think one can easily discriminate between what's your favorite band of all time, and what you're digging now.  Any of you who have moved away might understand this analogy.  My friend Chris has been my best friend for almost 27 years.  I probably see him twice a year if I'm lucky now.  I have friends I spend much more time with now or even keep in touch with online more than I do with Chris...but he's still my best friend even though we don't spend much time together in person or otherwise.

Also, I'm loving the Orphaned Land love here.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2010, 06:01:53 PM »
A keyboard player myself, I had no idea that the keyboards could really have a voice until I discovered prog. That's when music became serious for me. Dream Theater is currently my favorite band, but if you took away everything Jordan and Kevin have done for DT, I doubt I would really care for them much, even though my taste is no longer centered on how awesome the keyboardist is.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2010, 06:44:53 PM »
DTVT said motherfucker

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »
At the moment, I consider my last favourite band to have been the Dave Matthews Band.

Since then, I've never worshipped one artist to the extent that I hold them in some special regard above all others. It just doesn't happen anymore. There is constantly a number of artists whose music I enjoy somewhat more than most others, but it never comes any more concrete than that. In fact, a part of me thinks of having a favourite band and being absolutely bonkers about them to be something I've outgrown.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2010, 12:10:33 AM »
I'm always listening to different kinds, whenever possible. That way I avoid burn out on certain bands like already said above.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2010, 03:09:13 AM »
I have always had a favorite-artist, even 10 years ago when i didn't listen that much to music.
Having a favorite-artist has always kinda driven me into discovering lots of other music, to kinda see if i can find something even better, and i have always been very surprised because of the artists/bands i have found.
The longest case of this has been with Porcupine Tree, which i thought "nobody could ever top this, they are just TOO good.", but that was until i discovered Oceansize some months ago, which just blew my mind, and are now my number 1 band.
I really enjoy the mindset i have, because when i try to list my (lets say...) 10 favorite bands/artists, i feel like all these has at some point been VERY high up for me, and that makes me feel happy that i have discovered so much good music. :)